Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307649 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1680 on: June 30, 2018, 04:07:35 PM »
Tremendous collection of songs. Wish they would have played and recorded The Ghosts of Home. Other than that, its a very raw energetic recording(s). Between Still Life, Live in Athens (extracted the audio), and this one, I could spin those live albums in an island. I seem to like the “new version” of Still Remains more on this one than the Athens DVD version.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1681 on: July 02, 2018, 01:41:06 AM »
It's popular assumption that Ray can't hit the notes any longer. He can. He CHOOSES not to, for a couple of reasons:

1. His range can be spotty on tour, and those early tours for No Exit, PS, and Parallels showed that, so he just stopped doing it.

2. He's just not into showing off, as he's said repeatedly he prefers a more melodic approach.

If you compare Darkness in a Different Light, and Theories of Flight, you'll notice there are spots on Darkness that he could have done some sort of higher note, but did nothing. That shifted on Theories, as he carved out a couple spots for a note for emphasis, but nothing in the stratosphere. In addition, he did interviews in the last five years where he was asked about the range thing and went and showed the interviewer he could indeed still get up there if he wanted to. But for the two reasons stated above, he just doesn't. I am sure as he gets older, he WILL start to lose that ability. So, he was actually pretty smart in the artistic and style decisions he's made over the years.

p.s. just got Live Over Europe. SO. GOOD. I saw the last two album tours three times. Once on the Darkness tour (Dec. 2013) -- should have been twice, but the other was on Halloween and couldn't make it, and then twice on Theories (Jan. 2018). So fortunate to be able to have now seen them a total of five times. (The other two were opening sets for DT/QR in 2003.)

Not sure I entirely agree on the first point. I've seen them live a couple of times in the last years and some times he did attempt some of the higher notes and it sounded bad. It was painful to watch. I'm sure he's aware of that and chose to go for a lower approach. The ones he does nail sound awesome though. And it's not like it's strange or anything I mean the guy is aging, as are others, like Tate, Labrie. The only one I can think of that still hit the high notes in the stratosphere is John Arch, who never ceases to amaze me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1682 on: July 02, 2018, 03:09:55 AM »
Ray himself says that he can't which should be obvious to anyone, tbh. Given his age and living style, it's normal, but he still has this amazing voice and he does enjoy singing lower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izj3A8d_hvQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1580 From here on he talks about having problem with his voice in the ealry 2000s, etc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1683 on: July 02, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
Abydos,

Ok, that actually is way newer (2018) than the interview where I heard him say he can (2013), but chooses not to. Thanks for linking to that.

I love the way Ray sings now, and him singing Silent Cries and older stuff is modified nicely. I mean, I love those notes, but I love his tone more than the notes! I agree with Ray some of the older stuff sounds cooler in the modern style. But it depends on the tune.

:)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1684 on: July 02, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »
I am really loving the live album.  I don't have the prior live record (which was really just APSOG live and some bonus stuff), so it's cool to have a proper live album from them.  Ray sounds great, the band is really tight, and I love the thicker/heavier guitar tone compared to some of the studio albums (many of which I just recently acquired). 

I'll be listening to this one a ton in the next few weeks. 

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1685 on: July 02, 2018, 11:37:24 AM »
You might wanna get Still Life at some point. I don't know if there are dubs there, but I still maintain that this live album is one of the best live performances and setlist of any band.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1686 on: July 02, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »
Damn, get Still Life for Ivory Gates of Dreams alone.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1687 on: July 02, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
I don't have the prior live record (which was really just APSOG live and some bonus stuff), so it's cool to have a proper live album from them.

I assume you're talking about Still Life, but that's hardly APSoG "and some bonus stuff."  Disc 2 is longer than disc 1, and it includes the entirety of The Ivory Gate of Dreams.  It's very much "a proper live album."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1688 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:54 AM »
That, plus it has some killer live versions of Prelude to Ruin and Monument on it.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: July 06, 2018, 10:53:36 AM »
Still Life is absolutely worth having.

But I have to say, Live Over Europe is probably the finest live CD concert I own. I really appreciate that it is truly live. Yes, it was culled from a two-week tour leg through Europe, but the songs are clearly marked in the liner notes as to what shows they came from, and there were no overdubs done. It's as live as live can get. The only thing they did, and it is my understanding it was just a spot or two, was take a vocal part from one song that wasn't quite right in the track selected, and spliced that over it. But that was just once or twice on the entire record. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Fully live, a great set list, and just pure killer stuff. Unlike say...the recent Dokken release that was entirely re-recorded in the studio (including stuff by George, who admitted it to a friend of mine who went to his clinic not too long ago).

Sorta reminds me how Queensryche recorded LIVEcrime (same thing, recorded a handful of dates, selected the best, and then spliced if needed, and as the rumor goes, it was very minor edits...no overdubs).

Fates should be really proud of this one. Now I'm all up for another Fates record, but that'll be a bit according to recent interviews. Nothing on the immediate horizon...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1690 on: July 06, 2018, 11:59:51 AM »
Now I'm all up for another Fates record, but that'll be a bit according to recent interviews. Nothing on the immediate horizon...

I would expect another Arch/Matheos album next. I'm fairly certain that they were going to get together to work on some material. I can't remember where I read that, though.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1691 on: July 06, 2018, 02:13:41 PM »
Now I'm all up for another Fates record, but that'll be a bit according to recent interviews. Nothing on the immediate horizon...

I would expect another Arch/Matheos album next. I'm fairly certain that they were going to get together to work on some material. I can't remember where I read that, though.

The last time I talked to Jim during a VIP session in San Antonio TX, I asked him what was next after the Theories of Flight touring cycle and he said he was working on a "secret" project. It could be Arch Matheos.

One of Alder's last tweets said something about possibly touring South America (that its almost confirmed) and he was going to give some big news soon (could be tour, could be other music).

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1692 on: July 07, 2018, 07:18:33 AM »
Still Life is absolutely worth having.

But I have to say, Live Over Europe is probably the finest live CD concert I own. I really appreciate that it is truly live. Yes, it was culled from a two-week tour leg through Europe, but the songs are clearly marked in the liner notes as to what shows they came from, and there were no overdubs done. It's as live as live can get. The only thing they did, and it is my understanding it was just a spot or two, was take a vocal part from one song that wasn't quite right in the track selected, and spliced that over it. But that was just once or twice on the entire record. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Fully live, a great set list, and just pure killer stuff. Unlike say...the recent Dokken release that was entirely re-recorded in the studio (including stuff by George, who admitted it to a friend of mine who went to his clinic not too long ago).

Sorta reminds me how Queensryche recorded LIVEcrime (same thing, recorded a handful of dates, selected the best, and then spliced if needed, and as the rumor goes, it was very minor edits...no overdubs).

Fates should be really proud of this one. Now I'm all up for another Fates record, but that'll be a bit according to recent interviews. Nothing on the immediate horizon...

Yeah, Live Over Europe has quickly skyrocketed through the ranks as one of the best live albums I've ever heard. Incredible release from Fates.

I really, really hope we get another Arch/Matheos album soon. I've been head over heels for Sympathetic Resonance for six years now and consider it one of the finest releases put out by Fates Warning/a spinoff of Fates.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1693 on: July 07, 2018, 07:39:16 AM »
Yes, it was culled from a two-week tour leg through Europe, but the songs are clearly marked in the liner notes as to what shows they came from,

While I prefer a one show live album, I feel if you are going to use different nights, I like the fact that each song is labelled as what show it is from.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: July 08, 2018, 04:03:23 AM »
Had a listen to the first two songs in the car tonight, and holy shit this cd sounds fucking amazing!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: July 09, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »
 Count me in saying this is one of the best live albums I've ever heard! Band sounds spectacular and the set list is pretty much perfect. A song from the first three albums would have been cool but not a big deal.

Highly recommended!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: July 09, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »
It’s really good. There’s a lot of beef behind the bass on certain tracks. It makes me appreciate Joey more.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1697 on: July 09, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »
Ray himself says that he can't which should be obvious to anyone, tbh. Given his age and living style, it's normal, but he still has this amazing voice and he does enjoy singing lower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izj3A8d_hvQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1580 From here on he talks about having problem with his voice in the ealry 2000s, etc.

Hey, it's me and a friend interviewing Ray there...thanks for posting it here!!!

By the way, I wrote a review of FW's new live album: https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/album-review-fates-warning-live-over-europe

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: July 10, 2018, 05:44:44 AM »
This is an excellent live release.  The performances are great and Ray sounds fantastic.  I really like his interpretations of some of the older stuff.  Michael does a wonderful job replacing Frank, Monument is the only one where he shits himself a little bit. 

The mixing is great and the beefiness of the guitars and bass is most welcome.  And Yet it Moves is an unexpected highlight for me and Still Remains really captures the atmosphere of the studio release.  The Parallels tracks always goes down well and the likes of Pale Fire, Silent Cries, Another Perfect Day and Through Different Eyes makes me happy.  Would have really liked The Ghosts of Home but no fan can complain about this release, tremendous.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1699 on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:09 PM »
Only checked out Wish (really great version for no keys) and Still Remains (Same as Wish really cool intro without keys). It sounds really good too. I'm enjoying it. Man, I have a lot of recently released stuff to get.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1700 on: July 12, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »
I've had a few listens to Live Over Europe now and I still can't get over just how good it is.  Possibly the best live album I've heard in ten years.  Lots of highlights, but Still Remains, Nothing Left to Say and Monument are my favorite performances so far. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1701 on: July 12, 2018, 09:45:07 AM »
I've had a few listens to Live Over Europe now and I still can't get over just how good it is.  Possibly the best live album I've heard in ten years.  Lots of highlights, but Still Remains, Nothing Left to Say and Monument are my favorite performances so far.

I had to do a twelve hour long international flight from Tokyo to DC yesterday and spent a significant portion of the flight listening to Live Over Europe over and over. I'd already been jamming out to it for the past week or so, but that time gave me a chance to really sink my teeth into the album.

Live Over Europe is going to be remembered as one of those classic live albums in the metal scene, I think. It's right on par with the best live albums from Iron Maiden and Iced Earth's Alive in Athens, for instance.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1702 on: July 12, 2018, 10:43:48 AM »
Live in Europe is still kicking my ass.  I can't stop listening to this album.

I had a neat little Fates Warning-related experience at work yesterday.  We met with a few underwriters from an insurance company that we write policies with.  The gentleman leading the meeting said that this one younger underwriter flew into Chicago from Connecticut for agency visits.  I glanced at his business card and recognized his last name...then put two and two together with him being from Connecticut.  I asked if he was related to anyone named Victor, and he said "yeah, that's my dad." 

Turns out this underwriter's dad is Victor Arduini, who played on Night on Brocken and The Spectre Within.  He said that he's now a nurse and still plays occasional shows in Europe with his current bands (and possibly Fates?  I think they only reunite sporadically with the Awaken the Guardian and Parallels lineups, though). 

Either way, I thought it was neat, and this kid had no idea that he'd meet a fan of his dad's while working.   :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1703 on: July 12, 2018, 10:59:52 AM »
That's a cool story Grappler. :)  I thought you were going to say that one of the underwriters was a Fates fan; coming across anyone at work who would know who Fates Warning, DT, or most bands I listen to is a rare enough occurrence itself.  But that was cool.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: July 12, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »
Such a cool story.

And yeah, Live Over Europe is kicking my ass too. I actually stopped listening to it a couple days ago because I kept replaying it over and over again, and didn't want to get sick of it.  :lol I am looking forward to playing it again early next week.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: July 12, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »
That's a really great story.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1706 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:57 AM »
Live over Europe kicks major ass! Also fun that we have had releases by both line-ups this year with the live Awaken the Guardian release.  :tup

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1707 on: August 08, 2018, 10:43:23 AM »
Very interesting and revealing interview with Ray, done by RodrigoAltaf:

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/ray-alders-interview-by-rodrigo-altaf
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1708 on: August 08, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
A little late, but my thoughts on Live Over Europe can be read here.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1709 on: August 08, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »

Interesting.  I was at the Los Angeles show on the Parallels reunion tour, and I don't remember any mistakes during Monument.  Of course, that's the not really the sort of thing I'd likely have retained.  That whole show was just incredible!

I do NOT like like the reference to "another album if we have one."

Also, add me to the list of big fans of Live over Europe.  One of the better live albums I've heard in quite a while.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1710 on: August 08, 2018, 03:12:56 PM »
I think Live Over Europe is brilliant too! But I was very suprised that they played with metronome on that tour and that they mixed individual performances from differents shows to make some of the performances that we hear in the album. I was wondering if they always play with a metronome or they did that just because they were recording for a live album. Anyway, all the songs on Live Over Europe turned out great!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1711 on: August 08, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »

Interesting.  I was at the Los Angeles show on the Parallels reunion tour, and I don't remember any mistakes during Monument.  Of course, that's the not really the sort of thing I'd likely have retained.  That whole show was just incredible!

Also, add me to the list of big fans of Live over Europe.  One of the better live albums I've heard in quite a while.

I think Ray meant the original Parallels tour, but I could be wrong. And I agree about being bummed with "the new album if we have one". He did tell me a few things in confidence which he asked me to omit from the final version of the interview, but what I can say is that there will be some interesting news from the FW camp soon.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1712 on: August 09, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »

I think Ray meant the original Parallels tour, but I could be wrong.
Monument is from Inside Out, which came out after Parallels, so it must've been the anniversary tour.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1713 on: August 09, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »

I think Ray meant the original Parallels tour, but I could be wrong. And I agree about being bummed with "the new album if we have one". He did tell me a few things in confidence which he asked me to omit from the final version of the interview, but what I can say is that there will be some interesting news from the FW camp soon.

The only L.A. date on the original Parallels tour was in January 1992, which was two and a half years before Inside Out was released, and I can assure you they weren't playing "Monument" at that time.  They did, however, play "Monument" on the Parallels reunion tour.

Interesting news, eh?  Hmmm....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1714 on: August 18, 2018, 07:59:21 AM »
From the Arch/Matheos Metalblade Facebook page:

Metal Blade Records
Arch / Matheos re-signs with Metal Blade Records; begins work on new album

Metal Blade Records has proudly re-signed Arch/Matheos for a worldwide deal!
Arch/Matheos began as a reunion between founding Fates Warning members John Arch (vocals) and Jim Matheos (guitar), who hadn't collaborated since John Arch's solo EP, A Twist Of Fate (2003) - and hadn't fully collaborated for a whole album since Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian (1986). In 2010, the duo began working on a record together and brought along three Fates Warning members to the fold. The five members would in turn release their debut album Sympathetic Resonance in 2011, under the name Arch/Matheos.
Since then, John Arch and Jim Matheos have kept busy with their other projects - but now the time has come for them to join forces once again, for a new Arch/Matheos release, due out 2019 via Metal Blade Records.

John Arch comments: "The desire and commitment from both of us is first and foremost, but the impetus to move forward with another A/M project fell in good part on how well 'Sympathetic Resonance' was received, and how the fans have continued to show their support through a variety of mediums, stating they would like a follow-up effort. The timing for Jim and I seems to be right and things are coming along nicely. We look forward to sharing the results with you soon!"

Jim Matheos adds: "It's great to be working with my old friend John Arch again. We push each other creatively in ways that brings out the best in both of us, I think. We've come up with what I hope is a worthy successor to 'Sympathetic Resonance', and a great lineup of musicians to help us bring it to fruition."

Already featuring special guests Thomas Lang, Bobby Jarzombek, Baard Kolstad, Mark Zonder, Matt Lynch, Steve Di Giorgio, Joey Vera, Sean Malone, Joe DiBiase, and Frank Aresti - with more to come! - this upcoming Arch/Matheos album is currently being tracked, with Jens Bogren (Fates Warning, Opeth, Devin Townsend, etc.) handling mixing duties in November. Stay tuned for more news coming soon!