Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307773 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1645 on: May 31, 2018, 02:04:01 PM »
Frank lives in the San Francisco area, Ray lives in Phoenix, and Jim at least started in Connecticut.  Don't know if he lives there still, and I have no idea where Joey and Bobby live. 

Well, yes, but I was intentionally trying to be nonspecific because I do not follow them enough to know much of that is public knowledge.  For the record, I know exactly what town he is in.  I just didn't want to put it out there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: May 31, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
By the way if you haven't picked up the 4 disc APSOG Edition, it's under $10 on Amazon right now:

https://a.co/6WHUXxW

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1647 on: May 31, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
Frank lives in the San Francisco area, Ray lives in Phoenix, and Jim at least started in Connecticut.  Don't know if he lives there still, and I have no idea where Joey and Bobby live. 

Well, yes, but I was intentionally trying to be nonspecific because I do not follow them enough to know much of that is public knowledge.  For the record, I know exactly what town he is in.  I just didn't want to put it out there.

I figure if he's got a LinkedIn profile it's fair game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1648 on: May 31, 2018, 04:03:07 PM »
By the way if you haven't picked up the 4 disc APSOG Edition, it's under $10 on Amazon right now:

I didn't know this existed.  What exactly does it include?  The Amazon product detail is more than a little lacking.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1649 on: May 31, 2018, 04:14:26 PM »

I didn't know this existed.  What exactly does it include?  The Amazon product detail is more than a little lacking.

It has a DVD with a couple of full live performances of APSOG (Live in Europe and Live at the Whiskey (which has never been released)).
CD1 - Original APSOG
CD2 - Live in Europe (I think it's the same Still Life performance. Not sure though)
CD3 - APSOG Demos

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1650 on: May 31, 2018, 04:47:34 PM »

It has a DVD with a couple of full live performances of APSOG (Live in Europe and Live at the Whiskey (which has never been released)).
CD1 - Original APSOG
CD2 - Live in Europe (I think it's the same Still Life performance. Not sure though)
CD3 - APSOG Demos

For $10, that's a steal.  Thanks.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1651 on: May 31, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »
Ray - Lives in Spain (moved there last year)

Actually, I'm pretty sure Ray moved to Spain either at the end of 2015 or during 2016, as it was the result of him getting married. Seven Stars is actually about his relationship with his wife (the title is a reference to an airport, I think). I know she actually shot the Black-and-White footage used in the official music video too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1652 on: June 01, 2018, 03:01:55 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure Ray moved to Spain either at the end of 2015 or during 2016, as it was the result of him getting married. Seven Stars is actually about his relationship with his wife (the title is a reference to an airport, I think). I know she actually shot the Black-and-White footage used in the official music video too.

7 stars is a reference to the city's flag.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1653 on: June 01, 2018, 07:56:55 AM »
Ray has lived in Spain for a couple of years. Frank lives in the Bay Area, Jim is in Connecticut, Mike Abdow is in Massachusetts, Joey is in Los Angeles, and Bobby lives in Texas. So they are all spread out.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1654 on: June 01, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »

7 stars is a reference to the city's flag.

Yeah, that's it! Thanks for the correction! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: June 01, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
CD1 - Original APSOG
CD3 - APSOG Demos

Comparing Still Life and the 2nd disc of the APSOG Deluxe set the times are different... so I don't think they're precisely the same. Some are off by mere seconds and some by more than a minute!

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1656 on: June 01, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »

Well this one is next on my listen through their discography so might as well grab this
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1657 on: June 05, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
The Light And Shade of Things, from the new live album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT6GyrrhG4

A minor gripe but I don't like when they cut off the soft endings of some songs like this one and some songs on Live in Athens. I don't know. It just feels incomplete. Good performance overall, though. :)

Speaking of the ending of "Light and Shade", when the vocals enter for that part, am I the only one tempted to go "I know...it's getting late..."? :P Probably...
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1658 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:06 AM »
The Light And Shade of Things, from the new live album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT6GyrrhG4

A minor gripe but I don't like when they cut off the soft endings of some songs like this one and some songs on Live in Athens. I don't know. It just feels incomplete. Good performance overall, though. :)

Speaking of the ending of "Light and Shade", when the vocals enter for that part, am I the only one tempted to go "I know...it's getting late..."? :P Probably...

I asked Jim about this at a meet and greet. His reasoning was that he felt there were too many songs in the set that ended in the same fashion, and didn’t want the show to end up with the songs all ending the same in a set.

I disagree, but I kinda get it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1659 on: June 05, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »
I actually like the ending of the live version more

Also I gave APSOG a spin and I don't regret blind buying it at all. I don't think I'll dislike any album by this band.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:47:56 AM by ozzy554 »
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1660 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
I did an interview with Ray Alder with a friend who also collaborates for the same website: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-ray-adler/

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:40 AM »
I did an interview with Ray Alder with a friend who also collaborates for the same website: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-ray-adler/

Listening now!  Very fun interview, lol.  "Corn does not belong on a pizza!" :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1662 on: June 08, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
Hahah...glad you like it. We actually thought we had 50 minutes with Ray, but had to cut short to 30 when his next interviewer was calling him. Such a shame, because we had other great questions!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: June 08, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »
Anyone willing to review the upcoming LIVE release?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1664 on: June 09, 2018, 03:58:17 AM »

Listening now!  Very fun interview, lol.  "Corn does not belong on a pizza!" :)
I like corn. Not the best but it's decent on a pizza.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
Anyone willing to review the upcoming LIVE release?

Nobody?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqNl5YlDoY

Kinda weird that they used someone with a band-aid on his or her finger to film that.  All I can see is the band-aid once I noticed it! :P
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1668 on: June 19, 2018, 07:08:28 AM »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1669 on: June 19, 2018, 08:33:52 AM »
Life in Still Water - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHc7QEw2qQ

God, I love this song. Ray sounds pretty good here and he definitely did a great job tweaking the vocal melodies to fit his range better now, although I admittedly kinda miss the higher notes that LaBrie provided in the studio version's backing vocals in the chorus.

Also, props to Bobby nailing Mark's drum parts! I think Life in Still Water has one of the most immediately distinguishable "drum riffs," if that makes any sense. Very quirky stuff there.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: June 28, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
Here's our review of the FW live release due out tomorrow.

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/album-review-fates-warning-live-over-europe

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: June 28, 2018, 10:44:23 PM »
This coming out tomorrow nice.  Haven't even checked the songs that are posted online so will get this one nice and fresh!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1672 on: June 29, 2018, 03:12:45 AM »
Listening to the new live album right now, Ray sounds awesome wow :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1673 on: June 29, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »
Great live album, excelent performances. It seems that they didn't have modified anything in the post production, it really sounds like that! Two things: I love how Bobby can totally play Mark parts and how he adapts the eletronic parts for his acoustic kit. Outstanding job! And the other is that I really wish that Ray could re-record all the No Exit and Perfect Symmetry with his nowadays voice. IMO, he sings a lot better now with the limitations of his actual voice's range.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: June 29, 2018, 08:05:28 AM »
Echoing the posts above, gave the record a spin and it sounds fantastic! I'll look for a physical copy in the store next week.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1675 on: June 29, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
Here's our review of the FW live release due out tomorrow.

https://lotsofmuzic.weebly.com/home/album-review-fates-warning-live-over-europe

Excellent review! However I wanted to note that the review got something wrong: And Yet It Moves is not the only song off of Darkness in a Different Light that's represented on Live Over Europe. There's three total- AYITM, Firefly and Falling. Granted, Falling is extremely short, but it's there just the same. :metal

Also, I freaking adore this live album. One of the best to come out in a long, long time imo. The mix is fantastic, the performances are all fiery and on-point, but it also feels accurate to the live environment. I especially love how Ray's reconfigured all of his earliest vocal melodies from the No Exit/Perfect Symmetry/Parallels albums to fit his modern range. Honestly I think I prefer most of these modern changes over the original versions.

Also, since devieira73 already brought up how great Bobby is on the album and how he approaches Mark's old drumming parts (and I think he totally reimagined the No Exit-era drumming parts from how Zimmerman did it?), I want to talk about how Mike Abdow needs to be added into the band as a full-fledged lead guitarist at this point. Keep letting Frank throw in cameo guest solos on each album, but I think Mike's more than earned a proper seat at the table at this point. He does a terrific job with playing Frank's parts and his solos on Live Over Europe.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online ozzy554

« Reply #1676 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:30 AM »
I think that losing his high range was the best thing to happen to rays voice. I just love how he sounds now, and he seems to be able to modify most of the older songs to fit it.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1677 on: June 29, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
I think that losing his high range was the best thing to happen to rays voice. I just love how he sounds now, and he seems to be able to modify most of the older songs to fit it.

By and large, I agree.

While I dig his wild Halford-esque style on No Exit, Ray's "classic" style of singing on Perfect Symmetry and Parallels was marred by how overly sharp his high notes were. It just wasn't as smooth a transition between his lower/mid register to his higher range as it was with say Geoff Tate or James LaBrie in that time frame. Ray got a lot better with that from Inside Out onward, peaking around A Pleasant Shade of Gray or Disconnected.

That said, while there are a few high notes here and there from the classic albums I'd love to hear Ray hit still but know he can't anymore, I think his voice is at its best these days. I think it was Mebert who once described Ray here as being "the Frank Sinatra of Prog Metal?" And he's absolutely right- Ray's the Sinatra and Steve Perry of Prog Metal rolled into one. He's just got this unique natural ability to croon his soul out in a way that Tate, LaBrie and most other prog metal singers can't quite match imo. And Ray's range lowering over time and his voice gaining some weathering really adds to that.

A lot of the lyrics and themes of classic Fates songs suddenly feel more realized and convincing now because they're coming from a voice that's been around the block a bit longer. Maybe they're not always as pretty sounding as they were back in Ray's prime during the Parallel days- but god do you buy what Ray's singing in songs like The Eleventh Hour or Nothing Left To Say  way more now.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1678 on: June 29, 2018, 11:53:50 AM »
It's popular assumption that Ray can't hit the notes any longer. He can. He CHOOSES not to, for a couple of reasons:

1. His range can be spotty on tour, and those early tours for No Exit, PS, and Parallels showed that, so he just stopped doing it.

2. He's just not into showing off, as he's said repeatedly he prefers a more melodic approach.

If you compare Darkness in a Different Light, and Theories of Flight, you'll notice there are spots on Darkness that he could have done some sort of higher note, but did nothing. That shifted on Theories, as he carved out a couple spots for a note for emphasis, but nothing in the stratosphere. In addition, he did interviews in the last five years where he was asked about the range thing and went and showed the interviewer he could indeed still get up there if he wanted to. But for the two reasons stated above, he just doesn't. I am sure as he gets older, he WILL start to lose that ability. So, he was actually pretty smart in the artistic and style decisions he's made over the years.

p.s. just got Live Over Europe. SO. GOOD. I saw the last two album tours three times. Once on the Darkness tour (Dec. 2013) -- should have been twice, but the other was on Halloween and couldn't make it, and then twice on Theories (Jan. 2018). So fortunate to be able to have now seen them a total of five times. (The other two were opening sets for DT/QR in 2003.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:50:09 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1679 on: June 29, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »

p.s. just got Live Over Europe. SO. GOOD.

Just saw this. For some reason I thought this release was still weeks away. Just ordered the CD from Amazon. Auto Rip FTW!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol