Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307823 times)

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1120 on: July 10, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »

Very true and was thinking the same think as I was listening the other day. I find it a little Queensryche-ish.

Yes! There were definitely some moments on No Exit that I went, wait.... is this Queensryche? The thing is, since this music was pretty  much concurrent, it's hard to tell who came first.

I think Ray's peak was Parallels/Inside Out. Theories is certainly his most improbable. But yes, it IS an amazing performance. Everyone's performance on Theories is amazing.
[/quote]

The thing about Inside Out for me is that it has some good songs, but the production is kind of sterile and laid back. It's missing that aggressive edge.
[/quote]

Sorry for the quote fail  :loser:
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1121 on: July 10, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
Theories of Flight is amazing! I had tried to get into the band with various other albums but nothing clicked, and certainly not like this one. "Seven Stars" got me immediately, and now every other song is opening up just as much. Loving it more with every listen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1122 on: July 10, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »

Sorry for the quote fail  :loser:
:lol

The thing about Inside Out for me is that it has some good songs, but the production is kind of sterile and laid back. It's missing that aggressive edge.

At the time, I really enjoyed it. Melody, especially vocally, were in short supply in the FW catalog at the time. Listening back to it now, it does come off as slightly weaker. Not that it hasn't aged well, but that most of their catalog has aged much better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1123 on: July 10, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »
I think Ray's peak was Parallels/Inside Out. Theories is certainly his most improbable. But yes, it IS an amazing performance. Everyone's performance on Theories is amazing.
Ray is actually one of the major reasons I don't get into a lot of their back catalog.  I just don't like his timbre back then, most of the time.  To go outside the genre a bit, I would kind of compare it to Michael Sweet of Stryper.  Back in the '80s when the band were at their peak, he was doing some AMAZING things vocally.  But a lot of people are just kind of put off by his voice.  Nowadays, he is still incredibly powerful, but doesn't quite have the range he used to.  But his voice has a grit and warmth to it that he didn't have back then.  Kinda similar to Ray.  His voice in the early days was stellar--I'm not taking anything away from that.  But the quality of his voice just didn't do it for me.  I like the warmth and grit that has come with  age, even if some of the range may be diminished.  It really adds a lot of depth and emotion to his voice that I found missing, and makes his vocal parts much more interesting to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1124 on: July 12, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »
I literally cannot decide which I like better, The Light And Shade Of Things or The Ghosts Of Home.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1125 on: July 12, 2016, 09:54:44 AM »
It was really the first time the band hooked me and made me want to listen to an entire album.  As I said earlier, I had liked a few individual songs up to this point.  But every time I tried listening to an entire album of theirs, I quickly got bored.  X wasn't amazing to me, but it was more than enough to hold my interest.

It was the same for me, or at least, a nice gateway to the rest of their stuff. FWX has some of the band's most accessible stuff to me. Left Here. Another Perfect Day, A Handful Of Doubt, and Wish all sound like they could be on mainstream radio. I liked those tracks the first time I heard them, and that finally gave me the patience to ease into more of their stuff.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1126 on: July 12, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »
I literally cannot decide which I like better, The Light And Shade Of Things or The Ghosts Of Home.

This is the only issue I've had with this CD to be honest.  Each one is my favorite while it's playing.  This is exactly what I want from 'epics' - they end and I cannot figure out how 10 minutes passed already. 

It's really great seeing so much love for this effort universally - I cannot wait for the tour.  They always kick off in Hartford, I'll be there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1127 on: July 12, 2016, 10:25:43 AM »
They both totally hook me in a way that And Yet It Moves, while showcasing some great playing, never does.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #1128 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »
Solid.  Simply, solid.  This album has no weak spots for me.  The entire album is golden!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1129 on: July 12, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
My first Fates Warning CD.  The guitar parts in The Ghosts Of Home reminded me of early Rush. SOS :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1130 on: July 12, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
Anyone know how well the album did with first week sales?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1131 on: July 13, 2016, 08:59:15 AM »
Just got this a few days ago and my first impression was very good.  Better than DIADL.  On my 3rd spin now and it will get many more.  I've been a FW fan for a long time.  They have been consistently good for that long.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: July 13, 2016, 10:15:02 AM »
My copy just arrived yesterday so I'm late to the party.

Worth the wait, this is an excellent album.  As compared to Darkness, which was a grower, this one clicked right away.

For me, the best since Inside Out.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1133 on: July 13, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »
Looking to pick up the new album soon as I've been wanting to give this band a listen and this new album seems a great place to start given all the positivity around it. If I do love this album then would it be well advised to then just start to work backwards chronologically?

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1134 on: July 13, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
Good CD.  Much better than the last one

Disappointed in the Light and Shade chorus because the song is so awesome and the chorus doesn't flow well. This song deserved better.

I really like the last 3 tracks on the bonus CD.  Ray's voice sounds awesome on them.  Wish they would have done a version of "Wish" on the bonus cd

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: July 13, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »
I have never really gotten into FW or even Ray's voice until I heard this record. Damn, that was surprise how it got me right away! Some songs (especially SOS) sounds really OSI with heavy metal singer in my opinion but that's just great. Every song is great here so this album will be surprisingly high in my top albums of the year list. Doesn't fight with Haken but it's near.

Seven Stars is one of the best songs of the year. Instantly on my training playlist.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1136 on: July 13, 2016, 11:10:59 AM »
Looking to pick up the new album soon as I've been wanting to give this band a listen and this new album seems a great place to start given all the positivity around it. If I do love this album then would it be well advised to then just start to work backwards chronologically?

A Pleasant Shade of Grey would be a great place to start IMO.  Accessible and good quality music

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1137 on: July 13, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »
I have never really gotten into FW or even Ray's voice until I heard this record. Damn, that was surprise how it got me right away! Some songs (especially SOS) sounds really OSI with heavy metal singer in my opinion but that's just great. Every song is great here so this album will be surprisingly high in my top albums of the year list. Doesn't fight with Haken but it's near.

Seven Stars is one of the best songs of the year. Instantly on my training playlist.

Absolutely.  Like Stars our Eyes have Seen is right there with it for me, both are top tier FW short tunes.  Just a great album all around

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1138 on: July 13, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
Disappointed in the Light and Shade chorus because the song is so awesome and the chorus doesn't flow well. This song deserved better.

Interesting.  I love that chorus.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1139 on: July 13, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »

To me, especially the last time Ray sings it on that song, maybe it's the most emotional part of any song ever sung by Ray. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :chill
Excellent record, by a very solid/impressive band since Perfect Symmetry IMO!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: July 13, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »

Agreed. I think it's perfect for the flow. In fact, I think the whole song flows just perfectly.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1141 on: July 13, 2016, 01:31:11 PM »

To me, especially the last time Ray sings it on that song, maybe it's the most emotional part of any song ever sung by Ray. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :chill

I meant, not exactly the chorus, but this part, kind of a "post-chorus":
"You're nowhere now, you're nowhere now
I know that it's hard to find
A heart that's there inside
It's hard to find your heart now"
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1142 on: July 13, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »
Ignore Hanz. He gets thrown off the Nakatomi Tower for his poor taste.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1143 on: July 13, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »

One of my all time Ray moments in their entire catalog.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: July 13, 2016, 03:19:30 PM »

Love that section, definitely one of the best sections on the album, that's for sure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1145 on: July 13, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »

That section is just so damn good. Probably my favourite moment on the album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1146 on: July 13, 2016, 06:15:23 PM »
The light and shade of things is awesome and After that 6 min mark, I am in heaven.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1147 on: July 14, 2016, 05:26:22 AM »

Great to hear you like it, man! :tup

Mine as well! I named White Flag my favorite song in my review (here for those who missed it), but Light and Shade has slowly but surely taken over. Also, The Ghosts of Home and the title-track is easily the best two-song closer combo on a FW album besides Still Remains and Disconnected 2 :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1148 on: July 14, 2016, 06:12:35 AM »
To me, TOF (the song) and Disconnected 2 are pretty much just noise.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: July 14, 2016, 08:01:56 AM »

That section is just so damn good. Probably my favourite moment on the album.

I said it before and I'll say it again, my favourite moment of the whole album no doubt.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1151 on: July 15, 2016, 02:52:14 PM »

Actually your review was the reason I checked the album twice and it was worth it!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1152 on: July 17, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »

Actually your review was the reason I checked the album twice and it was worth it!
Oh cool, I'm glad I managed to convince at least one person to check it out!
A couple of cool play through videos of White Flag.

https://bravewords.com/news/fates-warning-hit-the-charts-with-theories-of-flight-new-white-flag-drum-bass-playthrough-video-streaming
Bobby's playing barefooted? :o

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1153 on: July 17, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
My review of Theories of Flight....(and a brief review of my latest CD haul)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aB9E7RxxI
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: July 20, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »
Just posted by Bobby on Facebook:

"Hey all, I'm in CT for a few days. I'm here at The Carriage House Studios with Fates Warning. We're not here recording, we're shooting band videos for 2 songs from our new release 'Theories Of Flight'. Not sure when these videos will be released, but until then, check out the drums and bass play-through video of me and Joey on the song 'White Flag' from the new cd."

Drum and bass play-through link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=317&v=dwtknUNsCx0
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):