Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307709 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1085 on: July 07, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »
The Ghosts of Home possibly the best thing the band has ever done?  Could be.
This song reminds me OSI a lot.

What OSI song does it remind you of? Everything I've heard from OSI is just noise.
The whole first minute of the song sounds EXACTLY like OSI, because Jim and Kevin use radio samples like that a lot.

Small wonder... the first minute of The Ghosts of Home is just noise for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1086 on: July 07, 2016, 12:34:35 PM »
This song reminds me OSI a lot.

What OSI song does it remind you of? Everything I've heard from OSI is just noise.
The whole first minute of the song sounds EXACTLY like OSI, because Jim and Kevin use radio samples like that a lot.

Small wonder... the first minute of The Ghosts of Home is just noise for me.

Only now I see what I did here. In fact, I was thinking in Theories of Flight as the song that reminded me OSI! :facepalm: ;D Sorry, my bad!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1087 on: July 07, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
This new album is fucking amazing.  It's absolute quality and refreshing to hear an album of such creativity, originality and basically something perfectly written, well thought out and performed.  So much new music these days is just becoming more and more bland, generic and lacks the passion and drive to create something that deserves attention and multiple listens.  This album you can just feel the work and heart that has gone into it, well done Jim, Ray and co, a brilliant piece of music from start to finish.
Well put.  I wholeheartedly agree.  :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: July 07, 2016, 03:12:24 PM »

Funny you should say that.  I was just sitting listening to it in my car in the parking lot and could not turn it off.  Such a good song.

Everytime I listen to the album, I have to listen to this song about 3 times.

This new album is fucking amazing.  It's absolute quality and refreshing to hear an album of such creativity, originality and basically something perfectly written, well thought out and performed.  So much new music these days is just becoming more and more bland, generic and lacks the passion and drive to create something that deserves attention and multiple listens.  This album you can just feel the work and heart that has gone into it, well done Jim, Ray and co, a brilliant piece of music from start to finish.
Well put.  I wholeheartedly agree.  :hat

:metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1089 on: July 07, 2016, 03:29:08 PM »

Funny you should say that.  I was just sitting listening to it in my car in the parking lot and could not turn it off.  Such a good song.

For real, or are you just wolfking with me?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1090 on: July 07, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »
He's trying to say that the song is A-O-Kade with him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: July 07, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »

For real, or are you just wolfking with me?

Seriously, I'm not bosking you around, it's incredible.  That instrumental section from 2:10 is just one ofthe coolest things, and the last few minutes is just perfect.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: July 07, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »
He's trying to say that the song is A-O-Kade with him.

Absolutely, I just have to listen to it Tim and Tim again.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1093 on: July 07, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:07:46 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: July 07, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
Can't Google image from my phone but...

Well played, sir!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1095 on: July 07, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
This is already my favorite Fates Warning album. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: July 07, 2016, 04:11:19 PM »
This is already my favorite Fates Warning album.

I don't know if I can properly rank it yet, but it's looking like it's going to sit at least top 3, it's wonderful.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1097 on: July 07, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »
I hesitate to make such statements so early either.  But it is a function of (1) it easily being SO good, and (2) their other albums for the most part failing to connect with me (you might say they leave me feeling...Disconnected :lhk: ).  I mean, I liked the last album and X, and a few songs here and there from Parallels and other parts of their discography.  But this is the first album of theirs that I can say I am definitely interested in from start to finish.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1098 on: July 07, 2016, 07:12:22 PM »
X doesn't even rate for me. It's easily my least favorite Alder era album.

But this album could be Top 3. Not sure it's going to outdo Parallels. I have way too much history with that album. But it's knocking on Inside Out's door for #2.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1099 on: July 07, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
I've always enjoyed FWX

1. Left Here..good, moody opening track
2. Simple Human..great riff
3. River Wide Ocean Deep..very cool, moody piece
4. Another Perfect Day..catchy, memorable, poppy track that works well.
5. Heal Me..cool, hypnotic, riffy track
6. Sequence # 7
7. Crawl
8. A Handful of Doubt..great, emotional track
9. Stranger (With a Familiar Face)
10. Wish..cool ending to the record

for a record I haven't listened to in many years, my memories of it and most of the songs are still quite favorable; per I don't follow the lack of interest. The only thing I recall about it when it came out and over the years being it came out on the heals of the likes of APSOG, Disconnected..and even OSI and A Twist of Fate, so that is the only thing that I've felt lesser about it. But beyond that, it's certainly a record I enjoy and hardly would look past.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1100 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:05 AM »
Now that I've listened to it some more I can agree with most of you that this is a really great album, could became my favorite FW album (although my FW discography has a lot of holes) and is a strong contender for album of the year.

This reminds me a lot of Sympathetic Resonance but as of now I think the Arch/Matheos record is just a little bit better. And I still think the title track could have been more, it has some nice ideas but doesn't really develop into a full song (for me).
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: July 08, 2016, 06:19:35 AM »
FWX is an interesting album, I've always liked it a lot.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1102 on: July 08, 2016, 11:32:52 AM »
I like FWX, but it took me a long time to. I think what hurt it the most was I legit thought it was the last FW album. The thought of them ending their career on that one didn't sit well with me. And them disappearing for like a decade afterward didn't help either.

Its a very different album, but I like to spin it from time to time.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 11:39:11 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1103 on: July 08, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
I like FWX, but it took me a long time to. I think what hurt it the most was I legit thought it was the last FW album. The thought of them ending their career on that one didn't sit well with me. And them disappearing for like a decade afterward didn't help either.

Its a very different album, but I like to spin it from time to time.
It was really the first time the band hooked me and made me want to listen to an entire album.  As I said earlier, I had liked a few individual songs up to this point.  But every time I tried listening to an entire album of theirs, I quickly got bored.  X wasn't amazing to me, but it was more than enough to hold my interest.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #1104 on: July 08, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
I can't find any faults with this one...it's such a great album and the bonus disc is awesome as well.  As a fan since Perfect Symmetry, this may very well be my favorite.  It's been in constant rotation since its release.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1105 on: July 08, 2016, 01:18:15 PM »
Just listened to No Exit while cutting the grass. Holy Hell Ray!! :metal

This album is way underplayed in my collection. Some great stuff.

Offline JLa

« Reply #1106 on: July 08, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
I have never been the biggest FW fan, but I just bought this one after listening on Spotify for ten minutes. Sounded amazing!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1107 on: July 08, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »

Great underrated album. One of my favorite FW albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: July 08, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »

This is one that's underplayed by me also, big time actually, I need to fix that.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1109 on: July 10, 2016, 12:52:53 AM »
Theories Of Flight -  A damn fine album. Amazing that a band can put out this caliber of work with their twelfth album. Their career might even be peaking now!

FWX - Underrated. This album rocks.

No Exit - Very cool album. Interestingly, the melodies still have a touch of the vocal acrobatics we heard from the Arch -era albums. It's also the last album that you can hear the remnants of the NWOBHM influence. After No Exit, they moved toward a more ambient Pink Floydian sound.

A Pleasant Shade of Gray - TAC is wrong again about it being bloated and overrated.  :-* One of their finest works.

"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1110 on: July 10, 2016, 01:06:36 AM »
No Exit - Very cool album. Interestingly, the melodies still have a touch of the vocal acrobatics we heard from the Arch -era albums.
I've always thought Ray tried a bit too hard to maintain the Arch style on No Exit. It's certainly understandable for whomever made that decision, but I'm glad he's since found his own style, and he obviously killed it on Theories of Flight (which I think is the best performance of his career).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1111 on: July 10, 2016, 01:48:14 AM »
Never listened to anything by Fates Warning but this album is getting such positive vibes that I might start here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: July 10, 2016, 04:09:37 AM »
Never listened to anything by Fates Warning but this album is getting such positive vibes that I might start here.

This is a very good decision.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1113 on: July 10, 2016, 05:46:39 AM »
No Exit - Very cool album. Interestingly, the melodies still have a touch of the vocal acrobatics we heard from the Arch -era albums.
I've always thought Ray tried a bit too hard to maintain the Arch style on No Exit. It's certainly understandable for whomever made that decision, but I'm glad he's since found his own style, and he obviously killed it on Theories of Flight (which I think is the best performance of his career).

I was never a huge fan of No Exit. I definitely hear what you hear with the vocals. I think they're a bit over the top and, while that can be good, there's just no melody to them as there are on later releases. The music reminds me of the Arch-era albums which never did much for me except for a select handful of songs.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1114 on: July 10, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »
Since the recent surge of FW love, I would also suggest checking out their live album Still Life. It has APSOG in full + awesome songs from previous albums, including the 20something minute Ivory Gates of Dreams. I don't know if the album was touched and dubbed for the release, but it's one of the best sounding live performances I've listened to, definitely worth it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1115 on: July 10, 2016, 12:16:16 PM »
Since the recent surge of FW love, I would also suggest checking out their live album Still Life. It has APSOG in full + awesome songs from previous albums, including the 20something minute Ivory Gates of Dreams. I don't know if the album was touched and dubbed for the release, but it's one of the best sounding live performances I've listened to, definitely worth it.

Actually listened to Disc 2 a couple of days ago!

A Pleasant Shade of Gray - TAC is wrong again 
:lol
I know, right!

Very true and was thinking the same think as I was listening the other day. I find it a little Queensryche-ish.

I think Ray's peak was Parallels/Inside Out. Theories is certainly his most improbable. But yes, it IS an amazing performance. Everyone's performance on Theories is amazing.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: July 10, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »
Everyone's performance on Theories is amazing.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know that much about drumming--it's the only typical rock instrument that I never learned to play--but Bobby Jarzombek is fast becoming one of my favorite drummers, and I think he definitely deserves some credit for how good this album sounds.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1117 on: July 10, 2016, 01:57:30 PM »
Everyone's performance on Theories is amazing.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know that much about drumming--it's the only typical rock instrument that I never learned to play--but Bobby Jarzombek is fast becoming one of my favorite drummers, and I think he definitely deserves some credit for how good this album sounds.

It's a team effort for sure. Joey Vera knocks this out too.

Bobby Jarzombek actually reminds me a little of Mark Zonder, but is way more powerful.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1118 on: July 10, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
In Ray's defense on No Exit, if I remember right, he only had a very short period of time to write the vocal melodies for the album. He was brought into the band, then into the studio very quickly. Considering the fact that he was doing all of this for the very first time in his life with that quick of a turn around I think he did an admirable job.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1119 on: July 10, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
Very true and was thinking the same think as I was listening the other day. I find it a little Queensryche-ish.

Yes! There were definitely some moments on No Exit that I went, wait.... is this Queensryche? The thing is, since this music was pretty  much concurrent, it's hard to tell who came first.

I think Ray's peak was Parallels/Inside Out. Theories is certainly his most improbable. But yes, it IS an amazing performance. Everyone's performance on Theories is amazing.
[/quote]

The thing about Inside Out for me is that it has some good songs, but the production is kind of sterile and laid back. It's missing that aggressive edge.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa