Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307902 times)

Offline SubV

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1015 on: July 02, 2016, 09:38:07 AM »
The Light and Shade of Things... What a fucking masterpiece!
The whole album is incredible. A true masterpiece.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1016 on: July 02, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »
The Light and Shade of Things... What a fucking masterpiece!
The whole album is incredible. A true masterpiece.

I agree wholeheartedly.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1017 on: July 02, 2016, 10:08:23 AM »
After about two listens, this is an excellent album. Ray is incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #1018 on: July 02, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
I Have to be honest.  I was a huge FW fan for a long period of time, but with age and having too many kids, I lost track. I have also just been diving soooo deep into The Astonishing, that I wasnt aware that FW was even in studio or, that they even had another album out!  I was lurking and saw this thread and was like  wh wh what?  After seeing alot of your input, I bought it last evening and I havent stopped listening to it since.  What an amazing piece of work.  I thought Alder was surprisingly wonderful.  i had heard his vocals were failing, but this is one of his best works in a while.   I was a huge fan of Parallels and APSOG.  This rivals both.  Some truley, unforgetable, riffs on this album , about 2 mins into "From the Rooftops"  Whoa!
 "Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen"  Seven Stars" are great tracks.  My favorite track I keep coming back to is The Light and Shade of Things. 

stellar release!!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1019 on: July 02, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
Don't tell me you lost track so much that you missed out on Disconnected, FWX and Darkness in a Different Light?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: July 02, 2016, 02:51:11 PM »
Not much of a surprise, but HMV and WalMart didn't have any copies; the girl at HMV didn't have a hot clue what I was talking about.

Oh well, amazon to the rescue!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1021 on: July 02, 2016, 04:28:35 PM »
Another huge fan of this new album.  Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the last album.  A couple of songs were ok to me but I'm sure I never listened to the album more than once all the way through.

Got the new one based on all the positive comments and WOW!!!  Really good listen.  Honestly, there's not a lot of whole FW albums I like, probably just Disconnected (the only album I listen to as a whole at least semi-regularly).  This will be listened to regularly for a while, that's for sure.

No songs I didn't like.  The longer songs need a couple more listens to get a deeper opinion on, but that's normal.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1022 on: July 02, 2016, 05:19:23 PM »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: July 03, 2016, 04:01:00 AM »
Lucky enough to find a copy of the double cd this weekend in store for $20.  About to have my first listen now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: July 03, 2016, 04:47:14 AM »
Lucky enough to find a copy of the double cd this weekend in store for $20.  About to have my first listen now.

It's worth every single cent, I tell you. I'm going to visit my local store tomorrow and see if they have a copy, I've got the digital promo files but I need to have a physical copy of this album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: July 03, 2016, 04:53:24 AM »
Just had my first spin and obviously needs a few but hot damn, where did this come from?  Love the aggresion and attitude of the whole thing, and Ray sounds wonderful.  Looking forward to getting into these songs. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1026 on: July 03, 2016, 05:08:21 AM »
Just listened on my way to work. Ray totally nails this. Amazing. You're right, Kade. Where did this come from? It's progressive but immediate.
This may be their best album.

And Bobby J is incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1027 on: July 03, 2016, 05:13:23 AM »
Just listened on my way to work. Ray totally nails this. Amazing. You're right, Kade. Where did this come from? It's progressive but immediate.

Yeah, I agree with the bolded big time. I noticed how great drums were almost on every song which is a rare thing for me - I don't usually pay a lot of attention to the drums.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: July 03, 2016, 05:16:01 AM »

I was excited when I heard Rooftops and thought it wasn't actually going to be a propper representation of the album.  I heard White Flag and thought they must have been the two staple heavy songs but I was wrong, this thing grabs the balls from the start and doesn't let go.  Even though I've only heard it once the riff in Ghosts of Home has me hooked.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1029 on: July 03, 2016, 09:43:15 AM »

See? I told ya! :tup :hefdaddy :metal

And yeah, it is surprising to see just how great the album is. Last time a veteran band impressed me this much with a late era album was Rush with Clockwork Angels! :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: July 03, 2016, 03:17:06 PM »
When I read the booklet first up and saw that Frank only played the two solos on the album I was disappointed but when I actually heard the album, damn it's good to hear Jim solo again, he kills it here too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1031 on: July 03, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
Last time a veteran band impressed me this much with a late era album was Rush with Clockwork Angels! :hefdaddy

It's been a great year for Old School bands. Anthrax, Megadeth, Metal Church, Flotsam & Jetsam. All fantastic albums.

When I read the booklet first up and saw that Frank only played the two solos on the album I was disappointed but when I actually heard the album, damn it's good to hear Jim solo again, he kills it here too.
The lead guitar playing rally stands out on this album, and that's not usually the case for FW.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: July 03, 2016, 04:11:51 PM »
The lead guitar playing rally stands out on this album, and that's not usually the case for FW.

Yeah, and Jim adding some more killer solos than normal this time really gives it that FW feel even more IMO.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: July 03, 2016, 11:04:33 PM »
Between OSI, Arch/Matheos, and Theories of Flight, Jim Matheos has just been releasing a ton of awesome music.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1034 on: July 04, 2016, 01:38:13 AM »
Now that I heard it maybe five times, I think it's great, probably better than Darkness, although I still really like Darkness. Ray sings his heart out and the band is on fire. Catchy and progressive and heavy, what more can you ask? The only mild criticism I have is that the title track could have been more, it feels a bit unfinished for me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: July 04, 2016, 05:33:14 AM »
Only listened to it twice but IMO it kicks the crap out of Darkness.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1036 on: July 04, 2016, 09:35:32 AM »
Last time a veteran band impressed me this much with a late era album was Rush with Clockwork Angels! :hefdaddy

It's been a great year for Old School bands. Anthrax, Megadeth, Metal Church, Flotsam & Jetsam. All fantastic albums.

Also a new Testament CD is coming out too that has a lot of potential.

Agreed with the above except that I have never liked Joey Belladona.  I preferred John Bush's voice by a mile.  Just can't get into Anthrax with Joey as the singer.  I could tell that I would be a fan of these new Anthrax songs if someone else was singing.  Probably in the minority though.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1037 on: July 04, 2016, 12:17:48 PM »
My Jim Matheos rankings since the year 2000:

1. A Twist of Fate
2. Disconnected
3. Office of Strategic Influence
4. Theories of Flight
5. Sympathetic Resonance
6. FWX

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1038 on: July 04, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »

Also a new Testament CD is coming out too that has a lot of potential.

Agreed with the above except that I have never liked Joey Belladona.  I preferred John Bush's voice by a mile.  Just can't get into Anthrax with Joey as the singer.  I could tell that I would be a fan of these new Anthrax songs if someone else was singing.  Probably in the minority though.

I am John Bush's biggest fan here at DTF, but the Anthrax gig just didn't work out. I've never had a problem with Joey, and really understood the decision to sack him in the early 90's.

3. Office of Strategic Influence

I just do not get OSI. At. All.

With Sympathetic Resonance, and Theories Of Flight, Jim may have 2 of the Top 10 albums of this decade on his hands. Bobby Jarzombek and Joey Vera work incredibly together. Joey has come a long way from Can U Deliver!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: July 04, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
I think after this album I'm gonna go back to SR.  It was good, but it just didn't ever grab me like it should have.

This new one is certainly a cracker though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: July 04, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »
The section from 2:12 to 4:20 in Ghosts of Home is one of the coolest fucking things the band has ever done.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1041 on: July 04, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
The section from 2:12 to 4:20 in Ghosts of Home is one of the coolest fucking things the band has ever done.
I agree.
While I think APSOG is overbloated and overrated, this part reminds me of that album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: July 04, 2016, 05:02:16 PM »
I can see myself revisitng a lot of FW in the weeks ahead, good stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: July 04, 2016, 05:02:44 PM »
I agree.
While I think APSOG is overbloated and overrated, this part reminds me of that album.

Yeah, and reminds me of Disconnected too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1044 on: July 04, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
While I don't remember such intricate musicianship on Disconnected, the album as a whole definitely reminds me of Disconnected. Feels a bit more complete than Disconnected, which I always felt was too short.

They each have two longer awesome tracks with a bunch of very cool shorter tracks.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1045 on: July 04, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
While I don't remember such intricate musicianship on Disconnected, the album as a whole definitely reminds me of Disconnected. Feels a bit more complete than Disconnected, which I always felt was too short.

They each have two longer awesome tracks with a bunch of very cool shorter tracks.

You're pretty spot on here with everything and I agree.  This new one has a little more agression and melodies to sink the teeth into though.  I would have even loved a 20-25 minute song on this new one.  Ghosts of Home could have even been made longer IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1046 on: July 04, 2016, 05:12:41 PM »
Bobby J is like Zonder(who is awesome) on steroids. Yeah, I don't want Ghosts Of Home to end!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1047 on: July 04, 2016, 05:17:06 PM »
Does the part at 5:06 in The Ghosts of Home sound really familiar to anyone else?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: July 04, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
Does the part at 5:06 in The Ghosts of Home sound really familiar to anyone else?

What do you mean, another band or something from Fates before?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1049 on: July 05, 2016, 03:13:30 AM »
I think I've decided that Theories of Flight is my joint favourite along with Disconnected.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.