Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307816 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #945 on: June 28, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
Parallels is almost a perfect album. Hard to diss it, metal or not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #946 on: June 28, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
Yup, a great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #947 on: June 28, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
Parallels is Images and Words before Images and Words :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #948 on: June 28, 2016, 03:27:14 PM »
It's funny how much love Parallels gets from the "metal guys".
I've never really understood the love for it. I like all of their albums, but Parallels is certainly not in the upper echelon of Fates Warning material for me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #949 on: June 28, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »
I am certainly not the biggest fates guy around. Their catalog is so varied but I find most of their albums very uneven. Not that it's any different than any other band. But Parallels seems pretty flawless throughout. They are truly firing on all cylinders.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: June 28, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »
I am certainly not the biggest fates guy around. Their catalog is so varied but I find most of their albums very uneven. Not that it's any different than any other band. But Parallels seems pretty flawless throughout. They are truly firing on all cylinders.
Actually, I shouldn't say that I don't understand the love for it. It has a lot of catchy material. It has a more "glossy," radio-friendly sort of feel. It has an appeal, certainly. There's just a good chunk of it that I don't find interesting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #951 on: June 28, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »
That's cool. I have been fairly critical of FW in the past for sure. I find Parallels right in their sweet spot.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #952 on: June 28, 2016, 04:07:58 PM »
Parallels is Images and Words before Images and Words :D
In fact, Parallels is more like Empire after Empire :lol
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #953 on: June 28, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
Images And Words is genre defining. Parallels really doesn't get to that level.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #954 on: June 28, 2016, 05:54:51 PM »
Actually, I shouldn't say that I don't understand the love for it. It has a lot of catchy material. It has a more "glossy," radio-friendly sort of feel. It has an appeal, certainly. There's just a good chunk of it that I don't find interesting.

THIS

I never got it.   I had been a fan since Spectre, and I really thought they totally peaked with Perfect Symmetry.  Parallels was a let down to me.   Life in Still Water and The Eleventh Hour are amazing.   And I suppose I've grown more fond of it over the years.   In spite of the glossy production and a couple of overly commercial pieces, it's really not quite as big a "sell out" that I thought it was at the time. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #955 on: June 28, 2016, 06:37:46 PM »
I just want to say that it is so nice waiting 3 years and not 9 for a new album. That 9 years was excruciating.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #956 on: June 28, 2016, 06:51:53 PM »

I never got it.   I had been a fan since Spectre, and I really thought they totally peaked with Perfect Symmetry.  Parallels was a let down to me.   Life in Still Water and The Eleventh Hour are amazing.   And I suppose I've grown more fond of it over the years.   In spite of the glossy production and a couple of overly commercial pieces, it's really not quite as big a "sell out" that I thought it was at the time.

I can see how you might've thought it was a letdown. It's a lot less metal than the Arch albums and No Exit, and a lot less progressive than PS. But Fates felt like a band that seemed like they were in search of that something special. A sound, a style. It took me a couple of listens as well, but it hit m that THIS is where Fates fires the most on.

J-Dude, you must've really disliked Inside Out!

I just want to say that it is so nice waiting 3 years and not 9 for a new album. That 9 years was excruciating.

The lack of material has always been my biggest criticism of the band.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #957 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

THIS

Having been a Fates fan for the past four years or so, it's taken me literally four years to get into Parallels. I've only started to appreciate it for what it is over the past month or so... still, I don't think I rank it as the band's absolute best.

Not when this is the same band that gave us Awaken the Guardian, Perfect Symmetry, A Pleasant Shade of Grey and now Theories of Flight too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #958 on: June 28, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »
I agree.  And while it is their most commercially successful, it is not in the same tier as either Images & Words or Empire.  Beyond the commercial success aspect, it really has little in common with those albums.  As TAC put it:
Images And Words is genre defining. Parallels really doesn't get to that level.

That said, that isn't really a knock on the album.  Until X, I can't say that I ever really liked Fates Warning, other than a song or two here and there.  But Parallels was the closest they came to hooking me.  I definitely appreciate it more now in hindsight.  But it is still very rare that I actually spin it (or any of the early Fates albums, for that matter).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #959 on: June 28, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
To Parallels' credit, I think it's a better Empire than Empire is.

The only reason it isn't as frequently considered to be in the same tier of albums as Empire is because of the unfortunate luck Fates Warning had with timing (it came out like a month after Nevermind did, I think).
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #960 on: June 28, 2016, 07:32:43 PM »

I don't really understand what this means.

The only reason it isn't as frequently considered to be in the same tier of albums as Empire is because of the unfortunate luck Fates Warning had with timing (it came out like a month after Nevermind did, I think).

No, the reason it isn't as frequently considered to be in the same tier of albums is because most don't consider it to be as strong an album as Empire.  Timing has nothing to do with it.

Not to mention the fact that, by your logic, Images & Words should not be highly regarded either, since it came out after Facelift, Apple, Nevermind, Ten, Badmotorfinger, Temple of the Dog, etc.  But that clearly is not the case.  It is highly regarded despite coming out in the middle of the "grunge craze" because it is a strong, dare I say "genre defining," album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #961 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:10 PM »
Bosk, I would think that Parallels would be right up your alley.
I've actually never cared for X. I remember creating a thread where I forced myself to do a review of it. Not sure if it was here or on Samsara's site. I think it was there. I gained an appreciation for it, but it's still my least favorite.

While Perfect Symmetry maybe their most technical album pre APSOG, I&W really took off as it appealed to musicians. Dream Theater became a "musician's" band and really gave them a strong foothold within that community. And I think that was really what propelled Dream Theater in those early days. The thing about it was even if it was technical, it was still accessible.

Perfect Symmetry, while technical, isn't as accessible. Parallels, while accessible, isn't as technical. As Images & Words, that is.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #962 on: June 28, 2016, 07:54:43 PM »

I don't really understand what this means.

That's me being me. I'm not much of a fan of Empire, save for Anybody Listening? (which is probably the band's best song). As far as a more "commercialized effort" from a band that sounds like a cross between Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd goes, I'd say Parallels is the one that catches my ear more.

But that is purely my opinion. Feel free to disagree with me on that one, as I'd wager most folks out there do.

No, the reason it isn't as frequently considered to be in the same tier of albums is because most don't consider it to be as strong an album as Empire.  Timing has nothing to do with it.

Not to mention the fact that, by your logic, Images & Words should not be highly regarded either, since it came out after Facelift, Apple, Nevermind, Ten, Badmotorfinger, Temple of the Dog, etc.  But that clearly is not the case.  It is highly regarded despite coming out in the middle of the "grunge craze" because it is a strong, dare I say "genre defining," album.

I think someone described I&W's success timing-wise over Parallels pretty well over at the Breakdown Room: By the time I&W came out, the grunge movement had already established itself and people knew whether they liked it or not. Parallels came out just as the movement was getting its first kicks and was "the hot new thing."

Moreover, I've also heard something to the effect that Metal Blade Records dropped pretty much all financial backing for Fates Warning while they were in the middle of supporting of Parallels to instead support some other band that ended up exploding in popularity briefly instead. So I'd argue that there's also a business factor that comes into play here too.

Now, to be perfectly fair and upfront, I wasn't even born yet when either albums were released (1993, yo). So this is all coming from someone who wasn't there to witness the whole thing firsthand... but from as far as I can tell, there are other factors going on with the success stories for Queensryche and Dream Theater over Fates Warning than merely their "genre defining" albums and that comes down to the business end of the spectrum.

And, as TAC already pointed out earlier, the band made the big mistake of being slower with their album releases from 2000 onward. It took them four years to follow up on Disconnected with FWX and then another nine years to put out Darkness in a Different Light. While I doubt the band would have ever gotten the sort of success that QR or DT did back in the late 80's/early 90's from that timeframe, I think the band could have jumped up a bit in the name recognition.

Hell, an argument could be made that the band was too slow to follow up on Parallels. It took them three years to get back on the saddle and make Inside Out and then another three years for A Pleasant Shade of Grey and the same for Disconnected.

I've actually never cared for X. I remember creating a thread where I forced myself to do a review of it. Not sure if it was here or on Samsara's site. I think it was there. I gained an appreciation for it, but it's still my least favorite.

While Perfect Symmetry maybe their most technical album pre APSOG, I&W really took off as it appealed to musicians. Dream Theater became a "musician's" band and really gave them a strong foothold within that community. And I think that was really what propelled Dream Theater in those early days. The thing about it was even if it was technical, it was still accessible.

Perfect Symmetry, while technical, isn't as accessible. Parallels, while accessible, isn't as technical. As Images & Words, that is.

While I rank Perfect Symmetry over pretty much every DT album, save for maybe Awake, I'd agree that it's not as accessible as I&W. You bring up a good point on the balance I&W has over both PS and Parallels in that it's both catchy and technical.

Still, I maintain that Fates Warning probably had a business problem that factored into their lack of commercial success when compared to QR and DT.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:25:32 PM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jammindude

« Reply #963 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:22 PM »

I can see how you might've thought it was a letdown. It's a lot less metal than the Arch albums and No Exit, and a lot less progressive than PS. But Fates felt like a band that seemed like they were in search of that something special. A sound, a style. It took me a couple of listens as well, but it hit m that THIS is where Fates fires the most on.

J-Dude, you must've really disliked Inside Out!

I grew to really like Parallels more than I did when I first heard it.   It was more progressive than I gave it credit for when I first heard it. 

Inside Out OTOH, was just a very bland album.    You know how totally tired and generally "done" Joey looks on the band photo?  That's a perfect reflection of what that album feels like to me.     Like Parallels was their *one big chance* that got missed, and now they are wandering back into the studio with an air of defeat about them.     There are some gems.   Island in the Stream is good.   Pale Fire is excellent.   Monument is also excellent.    But even the good stuff lacks punch.    Monument LIVE was almost a different song.

At least Parallels had a hunger to it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #964 on: June 28, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »

As I've said before, I'm not sure what it is, but I just don't care for their earlier sound, in all its permutations.  On paper, they are a band I "should" like.  But when it comes to their earlier stuff, I just can't connect with it. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #965 on: June 28, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
FW had NOTHING for promotion. I do remember a flimsy 45 included with an issue of Kerrang when Ray Alder joined of Anarchy Divine.

Having seen the I&W tour a number of times, each show had increasingly larger crowds. And PMU was not played much around here. In fact, I don't ever remember hearing it on the radio. After a few months, they had a pretty low budget video, which did open up some eyes, but DT had a groundswell of word of mouth support. But it was all based on the musicianship of the band. THAT was the draw.

I grew to really like Parallels more than I did when I first heard it.   It was more progressive than I gave it credit for when I first heard it. 

Inside Out OTOH, was just a very bland album.    You know how totally tired and generally "done" Joey looks on the band photo?  That's a perfect reflection of what that album feels like to me.     Like Parallels was their *one big chance* that got missed, and now they are wandering back into the studio with an air of defeat about them.     There are some gems.   Island in the Stream is good.   Pale Fire is excellent.   Monument is also excellent.    But even the good stuff lacks punch.    Monument LIVE was almost a different song.

I like Inside Out. It's like Journey, where their earlier stuff was more technical or adventurous, but Escape hits the sweet spot. Parallels-Inside Out, to me, are like hard rock Journey albums. Or something like that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: June 28, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »
I seem to have a lot less perception of the huge difference between Perfect Symmetry and Parallels - songs like Through Different Eyes sound like they could easily be on Parallels.  Sure - perhaps the most heavy and technical moments on PS are heavier and more technical but overall I would rate the difference between Mindcrime and Empire as far greater than the difference between Perfect Symmetry and Parallels.

FWX was the only Fates album I hadn't heard until this week and I found it one of their weaker efforts. 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #967 on: June 28, 2016, 08:23:08 PM »
For me, Fates has become my favorite band. The lyrics and the musics...just a perfect blend. They just displaced Dream Theater...Jim is probably my all time favorite musician. His output has been flawless in my opinion. But that is just me.

Ray just hit a home run with his performance on Theories of Flight. I think the last two albums are the sound that the band was aiming/looking for. With Theories, they took a step further and I absolute love this album. I think it's perfect. Sound wise, it's beautiful. Perfect mix in my opinion. Anyways, The Ghost of Home, from the 7 min mark to about the 8:30....what a beautiful passage. This album sounds like a perfect blend of Disconnected and Darkness with some Parallels in it.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #968 on: June 28, 2016, 08:42:24 PM »
Another amazing thing that FW has done as a whole is to adapt to the changes in Ray's voice over time. Yeah, it's a damn shame that he was boozing and smoking for years and has completely eliminated his upper register, but he still has a beautiful voice and the way they utilize it doesn't sound forced. Not once I come out thinking "this is great but it would have been even better if he could go higher". It's just a perfect fit.

Something I wish DT/James would do.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #969 on: June 28, 2016, 09:18:54 PM »
Another amazing thing that FW has done as a whole is to adapt to the changes in Ray's voice over time. Yeah, it's a damn shame that he was boozing and smoking for years and has completely eliminated his upper register, but he still has a beautiful voice and the way they utilize it doesn't sound forced. Not once I come out thinking "this is great but it would have been even better if he could go higher". It's just a perfect fit.

I absolutely agree. Moreover, it's a testament to Ray's ability as a singer that he's managed to adapt as a singer too. He's lost a lot of his upper range over the years, but I'd argue his lower and mid-range have both blossomed from APSoG onward.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #970 on: June 28, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »

I absolutely agree. Moreover, it's a testament to Ray's ability as a singer that he's managed to adapt as a singer too. He's lost a lot of his upper range over the years, but I'd argue his lower and mid-range have both blossomed from APSoG onward.

I agree with all of that (except Abydos' comment about DT/James, which makes no sense to me).  I think this is one of the reasons I took so quickly to Redemption from Snowfall onward.  To me, Ray really shines on those albums.  I don't really care for his higher vocals.  I just don't like the timbre of his voice when he is wailing.  But he sounds great to me in his mid and lower registers.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #971 on: June 28, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
Parallels has always been a record I've enjoyed, and it was maybe the easiest album to get into initially.

I guess it is early on with Theories, but if I had to rank their catalog,

APSOG
Disconnected
No Exit
Perfect Symmetry
Spectre Within
Theories of Flight
Parallels
Awaken the Guardian
FWX
Inside Out
Darkness in a Different Light
Night on Brocken

so it's in the middle, although after Disconnected, I guess I see all the records down to FWX being about or slightly above 4-stars.

By the way, I made a video on YouTube awhile back showing my collection, if any fans have 15 minutes to kill  :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqY7QE7kV0

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:30 PM »
FWIW here is my ranking.  I have listened to the new album 3 times and all the others twice over the last week or two.  I have divided them into rating groups and , as I expected , the 1988-1994 period dominates.  It's nice to have an album from the more modern era that slots in up there.  I would say that my favourite songs on the other 90's albums might edge those on Theories of Flight (White Flag aside) , but the new album is just so consistent and has given my interest in the band a much needed shot of adrenaline.

90%+

Parallels

Theories of Flight
No Exit
Inside Out
Perfect Symmetry

80-89%

Night on Brocken (scrapes in with 80%)

70-79%

Disconnected

Darkness In A Different Light
FWX
A Pleasant Shade of Grey
The Spectre Within
Awaken The Guardian
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #973 on: June 29, 2016, 05:20:51 AM »
Damn...Night on Brocken beats out APSOG. For me, NoB is their worst.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: June 29, 2016, 05:34:15 AM »
Interesting rankings indeed Brent.  Good to see the new one getting rated so high. Looking forward to it and hopefully can pick it up this weekend.

I love Disconnected, probably top 3 for me behind Parallels and Inside Out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #975 on: June 29, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »
I feel a bit ill at seeing Awaken the Guardian being ranked at the absolute bottom of the list, even over Night on Brocken. That was the album that got me into Fates Warning to begin with... :'(

Still, interesting rankings, Brent. Even if I do disagree with 'em! :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #976 on: June 29, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
My rankings:

-Theories
-Disconnected
-FWX
-Parallels
-Darkness
-APSOG
-Inside Out
-PS
-NE

The John Arch era unfortunately doesn't do much for me but Sympathetic Resonace became a desert island disc for me..LOL.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: June 29, 2016, 07:56:06 AM »
I'm obviously not a huge Arch fan -  Brocken just had a couple of songs I really liked in an early Queensryche sorta style and to me his voice was a bit better controlled than on the later albums.    The more modern Alder albums are quality but nothing really stands out to me.   That's why Theories is so refreshing - it has an energy that they have been missing for a long time.

APSOG is an interesting one, and I know it's highly regarded around here.   I think when it comes down to it , I come at this more from a metal and melody perspective (as a priority) and the prog is nice if the first two click and it all works as a unit.    I am a bit the same with DT -  I&W was #2 all time in my DTF Top 50 but I rarely feel the need to listen to ToT or SC as I get prog fatigue and not enough structure/melody.   I also really struggle with concept albums that are missing strong individual songs - or albums where I feel the concept is forcing the lyrics/melodies to places they may not naturally go.   I don't subscribe to the idea of "you need to listen to it as a whole ".   If I don't like the individual songs then it ain't happenin' for me with the concept and , as such , I also rank SFAM lower than most in the DTF list.

The thing that stood out for me on APSOG was Zonder's drumming and I am not normally one to notice drummers :D

So hey..........it's just me :lol
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:02:58 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #978 on: June 29, 2016, 07:57:50 AM »
Oh hey, rankings. What would DTF be without them.

1. Disconnected
2. Theories of Flight
3. A Pleasant Shade of Grey

4. No Exit
5. Darkness in a Different Light
6. Awaken the Guardian

7. Parallels
8. The Spectre Within

I still have to get around to checking out Night on Brocken, Perfect Symmetry, Inside Out and FWX.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #979 on: June 29, 2016, 08:24:15 AM »
I'm obviously not a huge Arch fan -  Brocken just had a couple of songs I really liked in an early Queensryche sorta style and to me his voice was a bit better controlled than on the later albums.    The more modern Alder albums are quality but nothing really stands out to me.   That's why Theories is so refreshing - it has an energy that they have been missing for a long time.

APSOG is an interesting one, and I know it's highly regarded around here.   I think when it comes down to it , I come at this more from a metal and melody perspective (as a priority) and the prog is nice if the first two click and it all works as a unit.    I am a bit the same with DT -  I&W was #2 all time in my DTF Top 50 but I rarely feel the need to listen to ToT or SC as I get prog fatigue and not enough structure/melody.   I also really struggle with concept albums that are missing strong individual songs - or albums where I feel the concept is forcing the lyrics/melodies to places they may not naturally go.   I don't subscribe to the idea of "you need to listen to it as a whole ".   If I don't like the individual songs then it ain't happenin' for me with the concept and , as such , I also rank SFAM lower than most in the DTF list.

The thing that stood out for me on APSOG was Zonder's drumming and I am not normally one to notice drummers :D

So hey..........it's just me :lol

Good description.  Call me weird, but I like when someone pulls something out of left field. I like to hear their reasons. Chances are they'll stumble on something you never noticed before.

Personally, I think it was an exceedingly brazen attempt on their part to put out an album that was basically just one song broken down into pieces. However, I think they did a really good job. The problem is that after Parallels, Inside Out and APSOG had a lot to live up to.