Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307717 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #910 on: June 22, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »
Yeah, I mean, I liked Darkness in a Different Light, but I listened to it and the new one a few times back to back and there's no contest for me. Theories of Flight is miles ahead.

I think the song run from From the Rooftops to White Flag is flawless, Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen is also pretty great but a bit weaker then everything that came before, and while The Ghosts of Home loses me with the intro and the first verse, it gets my attention back with "Home again" parts. And the final track is beautiful. Now that I'm familiar with the album, like 10-12 spins in, I really think there are no weak tracks at all, and most of them are at least great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #911 on: June 22, 2016, 11:15:36 AM »
Just finished listening to it for the first time and I already think it's great. :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #912 on: June 22, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »
 :metal  I'm going to listen to it again. 

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #913 on: June 22, 2016, 02:11:50 PM »
Yeah, I mean, I liked Darkness in a Different Light, but I listened to it and the new one a few times back to back and there's no contest for me. Theories of Flight is miles ahead.

I think the song run from From the Rooftops to White Flag is flawless, Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen is also pretty great but a bit weaker then everything that came before, and while The Ghosts of Home loses me with the intro and the first verse, it gets my attention back with "Home again" parts. And the final track is beautiful. Now that I'm familiar with the album, like 10-12 spins in, I really think there are no weak tracks at all, and most of them are at least great.

Yeah, there really isn't a weak track on this album at all. However I personally like LSOEHS more than Seven Stars or SOS though personally (though they're all pretty spectacular)! :hat Having said that, White Flag is almost definitely the best short song on this album. Just... ooph! :metal

It'll be interesting to see how the band decides to decide about which of these songs to play live.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #914 on: June 22, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
I was pretty surprised with second solo in White Flag, it feels more like something from melodic thrash band (Megadeth) than Fates Warning.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #915 on: June 22, 2016, 05:48:07 PM »
I was pretty surprised with second solo in White Flag, it feels more like something from melodic thrash band (Megadeth) than Fates Warning.

Yeah, it's definitely a different sort of solo for Fates, but I really liked it! Definitely hope Mike Abdow gets to contribute more solos or possibly even some songwriting in future albums! :metal

Also, did anyone else notice that Jim reused the main riff from Stained Glass Sky on The Ghosts of Home? :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #916 on: June 23, 2016, 08:45:45 AM »
I was thinking a bit more deeply about the album's artwork last night, and my interpretation is that in order to truly fly and appreciate the act of flight we need to experience being confined/trapped/caged in some way.  That's why the middle bird on the flight path is confined -- it's symbolic of the obstacles in our flight path that make us withdraw and isolate ourselves, whether a broken heart, loss of a loved one, etc.  Once we push through those low points and gain an appreciation for flight and happiness, the act of flight is much sweeter. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #917 on: June 23, 2016, 09:01:55 AM »
Theories may become really addictive. the 1st 4 tracks have this great, *FW-energy* to sound sort of cheesy.  I feel like I'm listening to an album that sounds like Parallels, APOSG, Disconnected and XV yet is very modern.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:08:41 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: June 23, 2016, 09:50:16 AM »
A guitar playthrough video of "White Flag" by Matheos, Aresti and Abdow: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-guitar-playthrough-video-for-new-song-white-flag/

"No surrender -- Don't give up!"
"No surrender -- Now get up!"
"Rise and bury your white flag..."

\m/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:18:35 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #919 on: June 23, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »
A guitar playthrough video of "White Flag" by Matheos, Aresti and Abdow: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-guitar-playthrough-video-for-new-song-white-flag/

That song is awesome. Can't wait for next week

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #920 on: June 23, 2016, 11:10:43 AM »

"No surrender -- Don't give up!"
"No surrender -- Now get up!"
"Rise and bury your white flag..."

\m/

That's so great to see Jim, Mike and Frank all playing their parts for this song! :D I'm still hoping we get a proper music video for this song though! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #921 on: June 23, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
This is my first exposure to the album.  I really like what I am hearing. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #922 on: June 23, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »
So, I'm on my first listen.

From the Rooftops alone beats everything on Darkness, except maybe Falling Further.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: June 23, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
Brilliant, this album is gonna be a monster.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: June 23, 2016, 03:25:04 PM »
Brilliant, this album is gonna be a monster.

:metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #925 on: June 23, 2016, 03:55:40 PM »
White Flag is awesome but I wouldn't call it representative of the album.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #926 on: June 23, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »
Wow, that's a really great song. Was a bit disappointed they chose another guitar driven album after the previous one but from what I've heard, it's gonna be guuuuuuuuud. Frank fucking killed it.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: June 23, 2016, 04:01:24 PM »
I haven't heard the album yet (unlike many of you, it seems :lol), but I'm hoping for plenty of heavy riffs in the vein of Arch/Matheos.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #928 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:45 PM »
Heard it once so far and it's good. But I don't see this one blowing Darkness out of the water (yet?). That's not to say that ToF is bad, it's just that I really really like Darkness.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #929 on: June 24, 2016, 06:36:03 AM »
Just curious, what are the songs on the second disc?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: June 24, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
Does anyone know how often Ray has written lyrics in the past?  It's not something I've followed too closely with FW -- who wrote lyrics to which songs.  I ask because I know he wrote all of the lyrics on the new album (except for "Ghosts of Home") and his lyrics are really resonating with me.  I don't know if he stepped up his lyric writing, or if I just overlooked his lyrical prowess in the past.  I believe Jim wrote all of APSOG, which is my top FW album, so I've always wanted him to write lyrics since then.  But now, I'm loving Ray's stuff!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:24:41 AM by Mebert78 »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #931 on: June 24, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
Just curious, what are the songs on the second disc?

CD2 – Acoustic Bonus Disc:
1. Firefly (03:15, previously unreleased)
2. Seven Stars (04:25, previously unreleased)
3. Another Perfect Day (03:25, previously unreleased)
4. Pray Your Gods (03:45, Toad The Wet Sprocket cover version)
5. Adela (02:25, Joaquin Rodrigo cover version)
6. Rain (04:03, Uriah Heep cover version)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #932 on: June 24, 2016, 09:22:23 AM »
Ray hasn't had any much of lyrical input until Darkness and Theories. All of the lyrics from Parallels, Inside Out, and APSOG were written by Jim.

Disconnected had one or two songs where the lyrics were written by Ray (One, Pieces, Something from Nothing).

FWX had Simple Human, Heal Me and Crawl written by Ray (lyrics).

Darkness had One Thousand Fires, Firefly, Desire, Falling, I am, Lighthouse, Into the Black were co-written by Jim and Ray (with the exception of I am, which Bobby has a writing credit and Aresti on One Thousand Fires).

I think one of the reviews pointed out that The Ghosts of Home was the only lyrical contribution by Jim this time.

Online sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #933 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
Ray hasn't had any much of lyrical input until Darkness and Theories. All of the lyrics from Parallels, Inside Out, and APSOG were written by Jim.

If memory serves, he wrote the lyrics for "Down To The Wire". But, yeah, he's definitely stepped up lyrically over the last couple albums. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: June 24, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
I think one of the reviews pointed out that The Ghosts of Home was the only lyrical contribution by Jim this time.

That's true. Here's the quote from the promo press file:

As main lyricist, vocalist Ray Alder had plenty of musical emotion to work with. Themes of upcoming change --
deliberate choices to take a different direction in life – are a large part of the album’s overarching themes of
transience, disconnection and the search for solid ground. Alder’s writing and passionate singing in “Like Stars Our
Eyes Have Seen” is beautifully reflective, urging us to trust our memories, to hold onto them even as we forge into
future unknowns: “See the dark road that’s ahead / Lit by memories you knew / Now the ghosts begin to follow /
Let it all come back to you.”

Matheos’s sole lyric credit is an especially personal one. “‘The Ghosts Of Home’ is me reflecting on how moving
frequently as a child -- eight times in the first nine years of school -- affected and shaped my personality,
something I’ve only recently been digging in to. It also references me revisiting a lot of those places as an adult.
Similarly, a lot of Ray’s lyrics touch on a big move or change coming for him, although by choice. So, we’re both
talking about various uprootings, escapes…flights.”

I thought Alder nailed it lyrically on this album. The Light and Shade of Things isn't only the best song music-wise, I also think it's wonderful lyric-wise. Been a while I've enjoyed the lyrics from a heavy / progressive metal band that much.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #935 on: June 24, 2016, 08:06:11 PM »

That's true. Here's the quote from the promo press file:

As main lyricist, vocalist Ray Alder had plenty of musical emotion to work with. Themes of upcoming change --
deliberate choices to take a different direction in life – are a large part of the album’s overarching themes of
transience, disconnection and the search for solid ground. Alder’s writing and passionate singing in “Like Stars Our
Eyes Have Seen” is beautifully reflective, urging us to trust our memories, to hold onto them even as we forge into
future unknowns: “See the dark road that’s ahead / Lit by memories you knew / Now the ghosts begin to follow /
Let it all come back to you.”

Matheos’s sole lyric credit is an especially personal one. “‘The Ghosts Of Home’ is me reflecting on how moving
frequently as a child -- eight times in the first nine years of school -- affected and shaped my personality,
something I’ve only recently been digging in to. It also references me revisiting a lot of those places as an adult.
Similarly, a lot of Ray’s lyrics touch on a big move or change coming for him, although by choice. So, we’re both
talking about various uprootings, escapes…flights.”

I thought Alder nailed it lyrically on this album. The Light and Shade of Things isn't only the best song music-wise, I also think it's wonderful lyric-wise. Been a while I've enjoyed the lyrics from a heavy / progressive metal band that much.

Yeah, Ray's lyrics on this album are pretty freaking great. TLaSoT is a great example, but I'm also really fond of his lyrics for SOS and Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen too.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: June 27, 2016, 08:26:05 PM »
It has arrived.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #937 on: June 28, 2016, 12:35:24 AM »
I absolutely love Ghosts of Home.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: June 28, 2016, 01:09:16 AM »
Still on my FW marathon and will attempt to rank everything along with the new one.  One thing I have realised is that I think I made a mistake not including Parallels in my DTF Top 50.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: June 28, 2016, 05:31:40 AM »
Still on my FW marathon and will attempt to rank everything along with the new one.  One thing I have realised is that I think I made a mistake not including Parallels in my DTF Top 50.

I like everything about this post.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #940 on: June 28, 2016, 07:18:44 AM »
It has arrived.

Mine came yesterday, as well.  Darkness was a great welcome back, this effort is really making me wonder (yet again) why it is that this band isn't bigger than they are. 

I haven't stopped listening, I love FW release day!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #941 on: June 28, 2016, 07:34:48 AM »

When I started The TAC Top 50, I had a master list of about 80 albums. Even though Parallels is far and away my favorite FW album, it didn't make the list. I suppose it would make the Top 100 though, so if I ever do a v.2, it could be there.
The 1-2 punch of Parallels/Inside Out, to me, is FW at their best.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #942 on: June 28, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »
I absolutely love Ghosts of Home.

Probably my favorite song on the album.  :tup
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: June 28, 2016, 01:12:16 PM »

When I started The TAC Top 50, I had a master list of about 80 albums. Even though Parallels is far and away my favorite FW album, it didn't make the list. I suppose it would make the Top 100 though, so if I ever do a v.2, it could be there.
The 1-2 punch of Parallels/Inside Out, to me, is FW at their best.

Add Perfect Symmetry to those two for me and you have my favorites from FW.  But it sounds like this new one has potential to join those three at the top

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #944 on: June 28, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
It's funny how much love Parallels gets from the "metal guys".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol