Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307793 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #840 on: June 03, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »
Very enjoyable song!

Jarzombek has a very recognizable style. Ray has got that tone that just hits the sweet spot. He struggles live sometimes but on
the studio albums he is like the Sinatra of prog metal.

Honestly, Ray's voice has been improving a lot since his weaker performance on Redemption's This Mortal Coil in 2011. Dude recognized that he wasn't taking care of his voice and it seems he has been working to get it back as much as possible. He sounds fantastic here, even if his upper range has diminished. He just sounds so freaking powerful here.

I love it.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: June 03, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »
Ray has got that tone that just hits the sweet spot. He struggles live sometimes but on the studio albums he is like the Sinatra of prog metal.

:lol
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #842 on: June 03, 2016, 01:30:59 PM »
I'm hoping to start working on a proper review soon, but will just say this for now:

I've never thought FW sounded anything like Redemption, despite sharing a singer, until now. There are a couple of tracks, or at least spots in tracks that sounded like they came out of NVD's playbook. I'm actually happy to hear it, because it shows Jim doing new things with this album. All in all it's that nice combo of fresh and classic.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #843 on: June 03, 2016, 01:43:01 PM »
I'm hoping to start working on a proper review soon, but will just say this for now:

I've never thought FW sounded anything like Redemption, despite sharing a singer, until now. There are a couple of tracks, or at least spots in tracks that sounded like they came out of NVD's playbook. I'm actually happy to hear it, because it shows Jim doing new things with this album. All in all it's that nice combo of fresh and classic.

I'm digging the sound of that! Does the album bear much resemblance to the Arch/Matheos album a few years back too? How does Ray fare? He sounds incredible on this and in the album samples.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #844 on: June 03, 2016, 02:32:55 PM »

I'm digging the sound of that! Does the album bear much resemblance to the Arch/Matheos album a few years back too? How does Ray fare? He sounds incredible on this and in the album samples.

I don't think it hits on the Arch/Matheos style all that much, and I'd certainly say the last album had more of that.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #845 on: June 03, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »

I don't think it hits on the Arch/Matheos style all that much, and I'd certainly say the last album had more of that.

Interesting. Out of curiosity, which Redemption and Fates Warning album would you say this most resembles?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online gazinwales

« Reply #846 on: June 03, 2016, 05:37:03 PM »
Ray sounds like a difference man to the last Redemption.
Pre-ordered from the IO shop orange vinyl + CD  ;D

I must say that I do like IO practise of putting the CD (bare bones not booklet etc) with the vinyl releases.
I wish more labels would do this, instead of trying to milk the fans.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:00:04 PM by gazinwales »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: June 03, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
I hope they do a t-shirt/cd bundle. I'm holding out on my preorder to see if they offer bundles.

Also... I think we should change the thread title to reflect the new album. :)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #848 on: June 03, 2016, 07:15:02 PM »

Interesting. Out of curiosity, which Redemption and Fates Warning album would you say this most resembles?

I wouldn't really pin it to any single Redemption album, it just sounds like that general style of metal from time to time. As for Fates, it doesn't really resemble any of them either. I'd say their are parts that certainly remind me of the last album, and in general the album has a heavy catchiness to it, perhaps not as clearly commercial as something like Parallels, but rather more like Inside Out.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: June 06, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »
Ray sounds as good as ever on the new track. I'm usually not that into their singles, but this one sounds pretty darn good.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #850 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »
The more I read and hear about this album (including what Nick said above) the more I think it is going to be my highest rated since Parallels.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #851 on: June 06, 2016, 12:25:38 PM »
Parallels is still my favorite so this sounds very hopeful.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: June 06, 2016, 12:28:58 PM »
My top three would go...

1) A Pleasant Shade of Gray
2) Disconnected
3) Parallels

From what I hear so far though, this new album could definitely be cracking the top three.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #853 on: June 06, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »
To echo what Nick said, the album doesn't sound like Ray-era Fates; but absolutely not in a bad way.  It's going to get lots of positive reviews I think, including from me (and it sounds like Nick as well).

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: June 06, 2016, 02:35:37 PM »
To echo what Nick said, the album doesn't sound like Ray-era Fates; but absolutely not in a bad way.  It's going to get lots of positive reviews I think, including from me (and it sounds like Nick as well).

Isn't anything but the first 3 albums "Ray-Era" Fates?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: June 06, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »

This.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #856 on: June 06, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »
Damn.  Just heard the new Fates Warning track and signed in to say it is pretty amazing.

I thought Megadeth had it in the bag for album of the year but it looks like they have some competition.  Loved the guitar tone and the drums.  Ray has some nice grit to his voice too.

Hope that the quality of the entire album matches this track.  I was a little disappointed in their last release honestly.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: June 07, 2016, 12:31:03 AM »

This.

Me too!

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #858 on: June 07, 2016, 09:43:15 AM »

This.

Me too!

I always leaned more towards Awaken the Guardian, Perfect Symmetry and A Pleasant Shade of Gray (in no particular order). However Parallels has started to click with me lately, after about three or four years of trying to 'get' that album. :lol

Won't lie though, I'm very excited for Theories of Flight. I have a feeling this one's gonna be something very special. :metal

Damn.  Just heard the new Fates Warning track and signed in to say it is pretty amazing.

I thought Megadeth had it in the bag for album of the year but it looks like they have some competition.  Loved the guitar tone and the drums.  Ray has some nice grit to his voice too.

Hope that the quality of the entire album matches this track.  I was a little disappointed in their last release honestly.

I need to go back and revisit the new Megadeth album. I enjoyed my one listen to it earlier this year, but I never bothered to revisit it. However I do think Fates Warning are gonna win the Album of the Year spot for me. There's just something about the band that clicks perfectly for me.

I liked DiaDL a lot personally, but it was a little bit of a letdown compared to the Arch/Matheos album before it at first. It does grow on you with repeated listens though.

However this new track and the album samples all sound more immediately 'energized' than the stuff from DiaDL did imo. I think it's probably a benefit of the band finally getting back into a creative writing mindset, since there was that nine year gap for DiaDL, as opposed to the three year gap for ToL. DiaDL could perhaps be seen as the band turning the old car back on after so long, and ToL in turn is the car after it's gotten fixed up and fine-tuned.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:51:05 AM by Mister Gold »
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #859 on: June 07, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »

This.

Me too!

I always leaned more towards Awaken the Guardian, Perfect Symmetry and A Pleasant Shade of Gray (in no particular order). However Parallels has started to click with me lately, after about three or four years of trying to 'get' that album. :lol

Won't lie though, I'm very excited for Theories of Flight. I have a feeling this one's gonna be something very special. :metal

As do I. I have to say that in the 25 years I've been listening to them, they have never disappointed me. I'm not a huge fan of their John Arch-era releases, but they're good enough to get my full Fates Warning kick in gear.  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #860 on: June 07, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »
As do I. I have to say that in the 25 years I've been listening to them, they have never disappointed me. I'm not a huge fan of their John Arch-era releases, but they're good enough to get my full Fates Warning kick in gear.  :metal

Mhmm. I love the Arch-era material a great deal, but it really is something of an acquired taste. Not to mention that the Alder material is just so drastically different from the Arch-era, aside from No Exit. In fact, I think that it's a lot easier to compare most of Ray's material with Arch/Matheos than it is with something like Awaken the Guardian, since A/M is more in line with Jim's songwriting style from Perfect Symmetry onward.

BTW, one of the mods over at Sputnikmusic has heard ToF too. Dude described it as "Arch/Matheos meets Darkness in a Different Light meets Parallels, but with heavier parts than any of those albums" and that it was the best thing the band's done since Parallels.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #863 on: June 07, 2016, 07:03:14 PM »
Review:
https://seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=18811

Yessssssssssssss :metal

I'm hoping we hear another new song or two before the rest of the album comes out.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #864 on: June 07, 2016, 11:33:03 PM »
Review:
https://seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=18811

Yessssssssssssss :metal

I'm hoping we hear another new song or two before the rest of the album comes out.

I would be surprised if "White Flag" is not used in some promotional capacity. There is so much to love about this album, but as far as non-epic Fates Warning tracks are concerned, this could frankly be one of the best in several albums, and it's very catchy. All that said, there are probably 2 other tracks I could pretty much say the same thing about.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #865 on: June 08, 2016, 05:14:52 AM »

Mhmm. I love the Arch-era material a great deal, but it really is something of an acquired taste. Not to mention that the Alder material is just so drastically different from the Arch-era, aside from No Exit. In fact, I think that it's a lot easier to compare most of Ray's material with Arch/Matheos than it is with something like Awaken the Guardian, since A/M is more in line with Jim's songwriting style from Perfect Symmetry onward.

I've never heard Arch/Matheos. Maybe I'll check it out today. I'll see if it's on Spotify.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #866 on: June 08, 2016, 07:55:56 AM »
I would be surprised if "White Flag" is not used in some promotional capacity. There is so much to love about this album, but as far as non-epic Fates Warning tracks are concerned, this could frankly be one of the best in several albums, and it's very catchy. All that said, there are probably 2 other tracks I could pretty much say the same thing about.

I'm betting "Seven Stars" will be the first official single off the album, since that's the track they decided to do an acoustic version of on the second disk of the album. Not to mention that its chorus sounded really catchy in the album samples video from before. But "White Flag" could also make sense, based on your comments. Maybe it'll be the "I Am" of this album and be the second single they release?

I've heard elsewhere that either "White Flag" or "Like Stars Our Eyes Have Seen" gets kinda Symphony X-ish at times. Is that true? I'm guessing whichever track that is is the one with Mike Abdow's solo. :biggrin:

I've never heard Arch/Matheos. Maybe I'll check it out today. I'll see if it's on Spotify.

Definitely check it out. You can definitely see how the album inspired Matheos' songwriting direction in DiaDL, but I think he did it a lot better on Arch/Matheos. I'd argue that it's one of his best albums ever imo, so long as you can get into Arch's vocals (which sound just like they did on Awaken the Guardian, if not better).
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #867 on: June 08, 2016, 08:52:34 AM »
Seems like the album is out of stock on the CMDistro pre-order. I emailed them and got a response to check back once the album is released.

CMDistro had the cheapest price (10 bucks + shipping ~ 13.50 or so)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #868 on: June 08, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
Yeah, it looks like the album is also out of stock on the Inside Out shop too.  I just alerted them to this via e-mail.  Hopefully they fix that because I haven't pre-ordered yet.  Also, for those curious, I'd e-mailed Inside Out inquiring as to whether they are planning to offer a t-shirt-/cd bundle and they replied: "Unfortunately there are no plans to offer a shirt bundle for the new Fates Warning album, sorry."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:36:28 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #869 on: June 08, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »
Definitely check it out. You can definitely see how the album inspired Matheos' songwriting direction in DiaDL, but I think he did it a lot better on Arch/Matheos. I'd argue that it's one of his best albums ever imo, so long as you can get into Arch's vocals (which sound just like they did on Awaken the Guardian, if not better).

also A Twist of Fate, the 27-minute EP from Arch that includes Portnoy of course.

I talked a bit about it and showed a lot of my FW collection, if anyone is bored, in a Video a few months back here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqY7QE7kV0
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:09:34 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: June 08, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »
Just received this reply from Inside Out about the album currently being out of stock: "Our web shop team expects to have the album available to order again by the end of today. Sorry for any troubles."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #871 on: June 08, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »
Just received this reply from Inside Out about the album currently being out of stock: "Our web shop team expects to have the album available to order again by the end of today. Sorry for any troubles."

Thanks for the update. Will keep F5n' the freaking webpage!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #872 on: June 08, 2016, 01:45:05 PM »

Thanks for the update. Will keep F5n' the freaking webpage!

Back in stock again.  :metal
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:09:49 PM by goo-goo »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #873 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:01 AM »
A new review's out! :hefdaddy :metal

Progressive metal is, by definition, all about forward movement, change, and intensity. With Theories Of Flight, Fates Warning – ranked as prog-metal pioneers alongside the likes of Queensr˙che and Dream Theater and standing tall today as twelve-album veterans – are currently sitting on a release based around those same core themes.

Theories Of Flight is as progressive as it gets.

Are otherworldly chops your thing? Check out Theories Of Flight opener From The Rooftops for multiple motor-cortex-melting drum moments courtesy of Fates Warning drummer Bobby Jarzombek, and the freaky guitar soloing to be found on empowering powerhouse White Flag. What about extra-long epics? Fates Warning have two to hand this time out in The Light And Shade Of Things and album highlight The Ghosts Of Home. Virtuosic vocal performances? Worry not: Ray Alder has you covered for Theories Of Flight’s fifty-three-minute duration.

Ultimately, Theories Of Flight is a deeply personal album with two major emotional highlights. White Flag is a five-minute tour de force, a blizzard of massive chords, searing leads, churning riffs, and backbreaking grooves that underpin Ray Alder simultaneously talking straight and singing theatrically. Two tracks later, The Ghosts Of Home proves this album’s winner as guitarist/producer/lyricist Jim Matheos digs deep into his past, mulling over the psychological repercussions of repeated childhood uprootings and emerging with a song you just need to hear for yourself, because saying anything more would spoil an experience Fates Warning fans are going to treasure for some time to come.

Listening to Theories Of Flight is like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle without knowing what the final picture is supposed to look like. With the benefit of hindsight, it proves worth every second. Come July 1, those who’ve stuck by Fates Warning will find their support supported in kind by a world-class album from a band of legends.

TMMP RATING: 93% (Essential Listening!)
https://www.themusicalmeltingpot.com/2016/06/08/fates-warning-theories-of-flight-review/
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: June 09, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
Wow, another glowing review!  I don't recall ever being this excited for an album.  Maybe ADToE, because I wanted to see what DT could do without Portnoy.  Or maybe the first OSI, because I was eager to hear Kevin's voice over prog metal.  July 1 can't come fast enough. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:07:56 AM by Mebert78 »