Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307775 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #770 on: May 01, 2016, 02:04:18 PM »
Arch is god  :hefdaddy

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #771 on: May 01, 2016, 05:00:41 PM »
I hope a CD or DVD/BR comes out of this performance.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #772 on: May 01, 2016, 06:38:42 PM »
saw the setlist with pics on FB. The only track that I love from that period they failed to play was "Traveler in Time."

damn..also odd how I had a dream the other night my fiancee said we would be in the Atlanta area during PPUSA and I'd be able to go. And Glen Harveston then commented on a post I made about it saying it was sold out but they may be able to get me in to see the show.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #773 on: May 01, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »
Second hand tickets will not be hard to come by. You'll always find people selling them over the next few months.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jammindude

« Reply #774 on: May 01, 2016, 09:00:52 PM »
The one I was the most curious about was Zimmerman.  He sounds fine.  But I can't SEE him in that clip!   :-\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #775 on: May 02, 2016, 01:08:41 AM »
Never checked out FW with Arch on vocals.
Which album should I check out first?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #776 on: May 02, 2016, 01:20:15 AM »
Never checked out FW with Arch on vocals.
Which album should I check out first?

Awaken the Guardian or the Arch/Matheos album from a few years ago (Sympathetic Resonance) would probably be the best starting points.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #777 on: May 02, 2016, 04:02:45 AM »
I have both the AM and JA EP.
I meant old FW with Arch.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: May 02, 2016, 11:54:39 PM »
The vids are good and Arch sounds great.  The band seem nice and tight too.

Thinking about the new album, perhaps Frank just does a few solos but isn't credited as a full member anymore, he may just be listed as a guest on additional guitars or something.  Hopefully there are some solos, Jim hasn't been interested it seems in soloing for quite a while now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #780 on: May 03, 2016, 12:10:52 AM »
A guitarist that has no interest in soloing ...........I wish him well with his recovery.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: May 03, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »
A guitarist that has no interest in soloing ...........I wish him well with his recovery.

:lol  Yeah I know.  I don't think he's ever come out and said anyhting, but just seems that way as time goes on.  Did Jim even have any solos on the last record?  I'll have to go back and listen, maybe I'm just going crazy and dunno what I'm talking about.

I remember reading when Nils quit Nocturnal Rites, his reason was he simply lost interest in it.  A shame.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #782 on: May 03, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »
Yeah, it's been a very long time since Jim has done much in the way of soloing. OSI certainly doesn't offer much in that regard (and OSI is still freaking awesome).

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #783 on: May 03, 2016, 05:08:01 PM »
I think the solo in Firefly is Jim's.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: May 03, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »

I'll have to have a listen.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #785 on: May 03, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »
Live, the first shreddy part of the solo is done by the other guy (forgot his name) and the second part is by JM.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #786 on: May 04, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
there was a point where John Arch was going to be in OSI (oh the potential), and of course Daniel Gildenlow as well.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #787 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »

I think it's Frank Aresti on the studio version. JM played the second solo while Mike Abdow played the first when I saw them last year. JM seems to play the more melodical solos while Frank (studio) and Mike (live) play the faster solos.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: May 04, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »
there was a point where John Arch was going to be in OSI (oh the potential), and of course Daniel Gildenlow as well.
Yup. But I think it all turned out for the best. OSI would have a totally different vibe with someone other than Kevin singing. Arch/Matheos is certainly badass, though.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #789 on: May 04, 2016, 12:06:51 PM »

I think it's Frank Aresti on the studio version. JM played the second solo while Mike Abdow played the first when I saw them last year. JM seems to play the more melodical solos while Frank (studio) and Mike (live) play the faster solos.
Same thing when I saw them.
About that show, I think it was the first time they were in my country and they played in jam-packed club. Such a great experience.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: May 11, 2016, 07:09:34 AM »
Theories of Flight is up on Amazon to preorder:

https://amzn.com/B01F7FOJ22

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #791 on: May 11, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »

FYI - This is the 2CD edition. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: May 11, 2016, 08:02:13 AM »

FYI - This is the 2CD edition. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Yep. Stoked.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:46 AM »
Also stoked!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #794 on: May 12, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
New website design at fateswarning.com!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #795 on: May 17, 2016, 04:00:41 AM »
Seen this on facebook tonight when I got off work. I'm not sure how to link directly to the post, so I'm copying the text from the message.

"Quick comments on the new album from Jim and Frank:
"Hi Everybody,
To clarify Frank's status with the band, he contributed a couple killer solos on the new record (Mike Abdow did one as well), but due to his current work commitments he will not be able to tour with the band for the foreseeable future. He remains part of the extended FW family and the door is always open for him to return anytime his schedule permits.
We hope to have an album sampler up later this week and the first full song shortly after that. As always, thanks for your support."
~Jim Matheos
---
"I absolutely love Theories of Flight, and I'm proud to be a part of it. I'll continue to do as much as I can, as often as I can, with the band. Meantime, they're in good hands with Mike Abdow, a great guitarist and a great guy. I wish them the best of luck, and look forward to sitting in on a song (or two). smile emoticon"
~Frank Aresti"
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #796 on: May 17, 2016, 05:37:47 AM »
Good that Frank is still soloing on this.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #797 on: May 17, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »
Really looking forward to hearing this, come on July 1!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: May 24, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »
Hey, guys.  I did a Q&A with Graceann Warn, the artist who created the cover artwork for Theories of Flight.  Enjoy!

Link: Interview with Graceann Warn (May 2016)

Graceann Warn

Date: May 2016

Graceann Warn is a Michigan artist focusing on paintings and assemblages whose work has been exhibited in various galleries in the U.S. and Canada.  In progressive metal, she is known as the artist who created "Theories of Flight," the artwork appearing on the cover of Fates Warning's 2016 album of the same name.  Guitarist Jim Matheos adopted the flight-based phrase as the album title after coming across Warn's piece and being drawn to it as a "description of what some of the songs are about."

Q: For readers not familiar with your work, how would you describe yourself as an artist?  When did you first start creating art and what style(s) are you best known for?

GW: I make paintings and assemblages.  The paintings are encaustic on wood.  Encaustic is an ancient medium now enjoying a bit of a resurgence.  It is beeswax melted with dry pigment and resin, applied in its molten state, reactivated with a heat gun and manipulated with a palette knife.  The assemblages (like the album cover art) are comprised of paper, wax and objects.  I started with assemblages and later, once I figured out what I wanted to say, found my voice with paintings.  Currently I make both.

My work would generally be described as abstract.  Abstraction was always the style of painting that I was moved by as a viewer.  The artists I looked at made marks and gestures on canvas that seemed like a secret alphabet to me, yet one that I could somehow read.  My training in design probably cemented my interest in seeing form and color as being more relevant (to me) than representation.

Q: Where did you study art and what have been some of your more high-profile, or most meaningful, achievements and exhibitions in the art world – nationally or internationally?

GW: I have my degree in landscape architecture and also did graduate work, first in landscape architecture and later in Classical Art and Architecture (both at University of Michigan).  I worked as a landscape architect for a few years after graduating but always felt the pull of art.  I transitioned to art full time in 1986 once I found a way to support myself with it.  I now show in galleries in the US and Canada.  Frequently I have solo exhibitions with galleries, which was always my goal.

This art life has put me in touch with a lot of fascinating people and given me many opportunities.  One of my most challenging and eventually satisfying projects was doing the set design for a major opera production of Orfeo.  It was a massive two-year design project.  I had never worked at such a colossal scale and I have always thought that this project provided a turning point in confidence which led to my making larger paintings. 

Q: Is this the first time your art has been used for an album cover?

GW: I have done album art in the past, but it has been quite a while.  My husband, Geoff Michael, is a recording engineer with a studio in Ann Arbor so I know many musicians and sometimes they ask for art.  I think my first album cover was for a great Detroit band called Missionary Stew back in the early 90s.  Fates Warning is the most "known" band I've worked with.  I was very happy to have been contacted by Jim Matheos for this project.  Similarly, I have worked on book cover art for a couple of published poets the most recent of which is Dan Gerber.

Q: Can you tell me about the piece Theories of Flight?  When and how was it created, and how long did it take to make?

GW: Theories of Flight is one of a series of pieces I have been doing for the past couple of years that fall under a more general working title of "Distance and Observation."  Much of my work is concerned with the sheer beauty of mystery.  Bird flight falls into that category for me.  I love to combine things from nature or science in my work.  Many of these pieces may combine images that don't necessarily relate to each other in an obvious way.

Q: What is it about bird flight that particularly interests/inspires you?

GW: The flight thing goes back a long way.  When I was 17 I took flying lessons until I ran out of waitressing money, but it was just something I needed to experience and I am glad I did it.  Some people are fascinated by flying and I am one of them I guess.  Just the fact that humans can't fly naturally and yet we go through unbelievable machinations to do so is amazing to me. 

Q: Was the artwork modified, tweaked or expanded at all from its original form for use on the album?

GW: We had to tweak a little in order to accommodate the band name.  I also added the number 12 to commemorate this twelfth album.  For the most part this is the original version.

Q: One thing that caught my eye was the middle bird, which seems to be trapped in some sort of orb behind wire and nails.  What kind of symbolism were you going for there?

GW: I'm creating a visual contrast between constraint and free flight.  I used a lens over the middle bird image to create a sense of distance – literally and metaphorically.  I also use lenses to tell the viewer to "look closer, don't miss this" ("this" in the bigger sense of the word).

Q: Can you shed any light on the meaning behind the writings – such as the Latin-type phrases or the numbers on the left side of the piece?

GW: The Latin text is all original to the astronomical imagery I'm using.  These are copies of pages from antique cosmography texts that I collect.  I like the obscurity that these ancient languages can provide and the text becomes almost a graphic image more than readable lettering.  As I mentioned above, the 12 was made a little more prominent in honor of this album.

Q: Since you mentioned that Theories of Flight is part of a series of pieces under the working title of "Distance and Observation," can you tell me how many pieces are in the series so far and what are some of the other pieces in the series like?

GW: The "Distance and Observation" pieces are numerous and all unique, but I would say I have done maybe 40 or so in that theme.  I've attached an image of four other ones in the series so you can see what they are like.

Q: Were you familiar with progressive metal previously?  What are some of your favorite musicians in that or other genres?

GW: Admittedly, I was not aware of progressive metal, but now that I know about them I am a fan of Fates Warning!

Paintings generally have their genesis in a word or a line of words or music lyrics.  Words connote images very powerfully for me.  I have lists of single words or short sentences in journals, post-it notes, and random scraps of paper all over my studio (and car and house) awaiting transformation into a physical entity.  I am constantly listening to music, reading, and looking for the zing of engagement with a word or two.  Beginning this way generally gives me a strong sense of the direction in which I want to go with a piece, but sometimes things go awry, frequently in a good way, and I change course.

Music I listen to varies a great deal from Bach cello concertos to Neko Case, from Pat Metheny to John Coltrane.  Depends on the day and what I need. 

Q: What other artists have you looked up to, or been inspired by, during your career?

GW: The visual artists who have moved me the most are Joseph Cornell, Jasper Johns, Antoni Tapies, Robert Motherwell, Eva Hesse, among dozens of others.  Poets include Pablo Neruda, Oliver de la Paz, Alexandre Vicente, Dan Gerber and Mary Oliver. 

Q: What projects are you working on now?

GW: I am making a series of large (ish) scale paintings for some galleries that carry my work in Philadelphia, Aspen and Detroit.  I have a solo exhibit going up on June 3 in a gallery in Cape Cod, and I am finishing those pieces this week.  I am looking forward to this next few weeks as I just get to paint with no serious interruptions.

Q: Where can people go to follow, or get more information about, your work?

GW: I have a website: www.graceannwarn.com
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:37:54 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #799 on: May 24, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »
Hoping for a preview of something soon, the album is out in 5 weeks!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #800 on: May 24, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »
Hoping for a preview of something soon, the album is out in 5 weeks!

Should be something very soon!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #801 on: May 26, 2016, 08:33:52 AM »
Fates Warning new album preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1O7W9PKMEE

Offline mikeyd23

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: May 26, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »
Sounds incredible!  And that video is neat as well.  I knew I had a good feeling about this album! 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #804 on: May 26, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
Wow....gonna be amazing
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD