Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307853 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #560 on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »
Wow, another misleading Blabbermouth article. Who'd have thought.

Doesn't seem misleading to me.

Really? The title reads like Alder slams the band for lackadasical attitude, and denounces them. It frames the situation as "Alder vs. the band".

Then you read the article. Alder is very relaxed. He uses terms like "we" and "us" and generally seems like he's simply imparting facts, not making some sort of judgment, as the article implies. And this is nothing new for blabbermouth, it's basically how all their headlines read.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: October 28, 2014, 05:22:22 AM »
The title is a little misleading but considering what Alder says, the title is legit.  Anyone who knows Blabbermouth knows to read the article instead of making judgement on the story title alone.  I don't think there is any other reason for what they do besides simply getting clicks on their page.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #562 on: October 28, 2014, 06:07:57 AM »
Yeah, I know, that's what I take issue with. :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #563 on: October 28, 2014, 07:16:12 AM »
It's a pity Fates never got to DT's (or Queensryche's) level of success, because Parallels could've been a big album with the right amount of promotion, but luckily they never stopped putting out quality music.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #564 on: October 28, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »

I was around when all that was happening.  You have to remember that A) DT had a major label, and B) DT had the push of Pull Me Under hitting it big on MTV.    I followed Fates ever since The Spectre Within.   They were on Metal Blade back when Metal Blade was almost nothing.    Fates did the east coast constantly in those days, and occasionally funneled down into LA.    That's the way things have always been.   Living in the Seattle area, it was always REALLY depressing to see Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver...etc...etc... all get to see bands that we never could...just because they were en route to LA.    Fates Warning finally made it to Seattle on the No Exit tour, but I couldn't go because it was at a bar and I was only 18.   

Trust me, FW did what they could.   It was mostly when Parallels failed to make the splash that everyone had hoped for.   Metal Blade had JUST been acquired briefly by Warner Brothers when Parallels came out, so there was a bit of an advertising push...but the singles just didn't become the "hits" that Pull Me Under did.   Less than a year later, WB dropped Metal Blade and very nearly went under.   (this was during the grunge push...and Combat *did* go under during this time.  All the Combat bands were completely out of a job, and their albums went out of print for awhile)

Inside Out was released under the Metal Blade moniker...but some off brand label had picked up distribution (Priority Records?? I think???)  Anyway, interviews with the band kindof hinted that everyone was pretty depressed going back into the studio for that record.  They felt like they had had their "one big shot" with Parallels, and it just didn't happen.   Then when IO did even less (far less I think) than Parallels did, Frank and Joey flew the coup.    To tell you the truth, I thought Fates was completely done at that point....and in many ways, the original incarnation of Fates *was* done at that point.   APSOG was essentially Jim re-inventing himself under the FW moniker.    Not in a bad way, I'm glad he did.   APSOG and Disconnected are now my top 2 FW albums. 

All this is just to say that FW really did try hard to be a touring act up through Inside Out.  But when Joey and Frank left...it became a bit more of a Jim Matheos side-project...even if the music did improve dramatically.

J-Dude, thanks for posting all that. They definitely were a band that just could not get their break. Parallels is a great album, and it;s really too bad things didnt work out. Inetesting bit about the state of mind of the band while recording Inside Out. I love that album too. Saw them in a VERY small club in Providence on the Inside Out tour. I actually felt bad. Maybe 150 people there? I stood about 4 feet from Mark Zonder's drum set. You know who gained my respect that night? Ray Alder. That guy gave it his all in such a depressing place.

I guess my frustration comes after that point. That's when their output gets very haphazzard. The music has always been good, but the albums have come way too few and far between.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: October 28, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
This might sound weird, but I actually prefer seeing FW live than DT in recent years.  FW shows are just so intimate.  I love it.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #566 on: October 28, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
This might sound weird, but I actually prefer seeing FW live than DT in recent years.  FW shows are just so intimate.  I love it.
An intimate show is always great. I remember going to arena shows in the 80's thinking that it will be awesome when bands like iron Maiden and Dio would not be as popular and would have to play smaller venues.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #567 on: October 28, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
I always thought Fates release output was all over the place, not consistent as DT.

But looking back at Paralles and Inside Out, those two albums are either too soft to be considered prog metal, but a bit on the heavy side and prog to be AOR or pop. Comparing it to DT, DT  went heavier and got tracking in the metal community. FW did not.

By the way, I love the band to death. Probably my favorite band aside from DT. And Jim M is my favorite musician...hands down (both lyrics and music, including OSI and his solo stuff).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:45:57 PM by goo-goo »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #568 on: October 28, 2014, 05:10:57 PM »
Remember too that by the time of APSOG, Jim was involved in more side projects. Before that, everything had always only ever been fates.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2014, 06:58:21 PM »
I think Fates just never had a real clear vision of where they were going, when compared to DT and their career.  It's hard to explain, but I know what I mean.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #570 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
Does anyone know if Jim has a day job?

During that 9 year hiatus, I often wondered how is this dude supporting himself, since OSI was here and there and it had been forever since FW released an album.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #571 on: October 28, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
I was googling for "Jim Matheos day job" and came across this:

https://www.fateswarning.com/Media/Interviews/2000/20000901.aspx

I never knew Still Remains was about the death of his father. That explains the mood of the song...Will have to revisit.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »
That's a top 5 Fates song, maybe top 3.  Actually maybe higher.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #573 on: October 28, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »
Both that and Something From Nothing would be in my Fates Warning top 10. Disconnected as a whole is just an awesome album, but those two are a fantastic one-two punch.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: October 29, 2014, 04:04:09 AM »
I always thought Fates release output was all over the place, not consistent as DT.
I think it's the other way round - Fates put out albums rarely and don't fill them up to the max like DT, which makes them much more consistent IMO.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: October 29, 2014, 05:18:47 AM »
I think it's the other way round - Fates put out albums rarely and don't fill them up to the max like DT, which makes them much more consistent IMO.

How does this make them consistent?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #576 on: October 29, 2014, 05:34:04 AM »

And I would say that Fates is anything BUT consistent.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #577 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:05 AM »

I'd say Fates are far more consistent in quality than DT, who are just consistent with releasing material in a timely manner. But hey, that's just me.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: October 29, 2014, 05:46:31 AM »

And I would say that Fates is anything BUT consistent.

As much as I love them, I totally agree.  The only thing consistent with Fates is Parallels and Inside Out.  Oh and perhaps Spectre and Guardian.

I'd say Fates are far more consistent in quality than DT, who are just consistent with releasing material in a timely manner. But hey, that's just me.

I have no opinion on this.  Both bands have put out mostly quality material.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: October 29, 2014, 11:00:10 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was saying.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: November 01, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
Blabbermouth posted an article with a live video from last night: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-video-footage-of-helmond-performance/

Ray sounds great! :tup No setlist hasn't been posted online yet, but Pale Fire is a cool addition. Too bad they're (still) not coming to Finland on this Euro tour, but I pray I'll get to see them one day... :lucien:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: November 02, 2014, 04:04:07 AM »
Who this dude filling in/replacing Frank?  He's pretty good.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #582 on: November 02, 2014, 09:52:14 AM »
Who this dude filling in/replacing Frank?  He's pretty good.

Yeah, he's pretty insane. His name is Michael Abdow. He does a lot of instrumental work, I believe.

https://www.michaelabdow.com/

As much as I love Frank's work in FW, if he ends up leaving the band, I'd be fine with Abdow replacing him.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: November 02, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
I really love Frank, he's done some of my fav solos of all time, but he is pretty ordinary live and always has been.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #584 on: November 03, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »
I really love Frank, he's done some of my fav solos of all time, but he is pretty ordinary live and always has been.

Not only are his solos amazing, but he's an incredible songwriter. It'd be a shame to lose him, but if he were to end up leaving the band, maybe he could still help contribute from time-to-time as a guest writer or soloist like Kevin?

It'd be interesting to see what Abdow might contribute to the band as a songwriter if he ends up being a permanent member...
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #586 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
The new setlist looks pretty awesome: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fates-warning/2014/rockfabrik-nuremberg-germany-33cc185d.html

:hefdaddy What I'd give to see them live with a setlist like this...
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #587 on: November 03, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #588 on: November 03, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »
I'd be seriously bummed out if they skip Still Remains for the show in 10 days.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: November 04, 2014, 04:10:09 AM »

Not only are his solos amazing, but he's an incredible songwriter. It'd be a shame to lose him, but if he were to end up leaving the band, maybe he could still help contribute from time-to-time as a guest writer or soloist like Kevin?

It'd be interesting to see what Abdow might contribute to the band as a songwriter if he ends up being a permanent member...

I'd be happy for Frank to just do songwriting and studio work with the band, because he obviously isn't overly keen on long touring.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: November 04, 2014, 04:11:10 AM »
The new setlist looks pretty awesome: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fates-warning/2014/rockfabrik-nuremberg-germany-33cc185d.html

:hefdaddy What I'd give to see them live with a setlist like this...

Yeah, this is a pretty stellar set.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #591 on: November 04, 2014, 07:55:37 AM »
I'd be happy for Frank to just do songwriting and studio work with the band, because he obviously isn't overly keen on long touring.

I'm not sure if the issue is that he doesn't want to tour or not. According to Ray, Frank got married last year and started a new job. It could be that he'd love to tour again, he's just insanely busy. Either way, I'd prefer for that to not get in the way of another FW album coming out anytime soon.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #592 on: November 04, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
I talked to Frank briefly at the DT show earlier this year.  It was a casual conversation, and I did not get into any of that stuff.  But I can say that he and his wife relocated to a different part of the country and started new jobs, so that indeed is very likely to play into it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #593 on: November 04, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »
DAT SETLIST.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #594 on: November 04, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »
DAT SETLIST.

Hopefully a DVD comes out of this tour. Amazing setlist...Wish is in it!!

IIRC, Frank got a job at D'DArio strings as an A&R Manager.