Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307678 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:22 AM »
I love this album. Keep spinning it at least once a week.

I'm still trying to hunt down the autographed vinyl version of this one. If anybody is willing to part ways with it, please let me know

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: April 22, 2014, 02:19:11 AM »
I'm not crazy about the album, but it's okay. I'm a much bigger fan of Alder than Arch, but the Arch/Matheos album, to me, turned out a lot better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2014, 05:59:21 AM »
I've honestly had no read desire and go back and listen to this regulary.  The book end songs are great, but I find of lot of it in the middle pretty bland.  I'd still take FWX over this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #528 on: April 22, 2014, 06:41:26 AM »
I love the album, but then again I'm a relatively new fan. The only song I don't like that much is Lighthouse.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: April 22, 2014, 06:55:05 AM »
I've honestly had no read desire and go back and listen to this regulary.  The book end songs are great, but I find of lot of it in the middle pretty bland.  I'd still take FWX over this.

Just one of the bookends for me (And Yet it Moves) - the rest did little for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #530 on: April 22, 2014, 07:49:16 AM »
It's a great album, but the Arch/Matheos album was definitely superior.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #531 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »
I think I may have said this already in this thread, but:  For some reason, Fates Warning in general has never clicked with me.  On paper, they bring everything to the table that I like in music.  But somehow, it just doesn't work.  I love Ray Alder in Redemption.  And I love what the rest of the band has done in some other projects, such as Arch/Matheos.  But together, their songs just don't do anything for me, with the exception of the odd song here or there (Monument is probably my favorite). 

X is the first Fates Warning album I found myelf enjoying and wanting to listen to.  The latest album is even a big leap over that, and I would consider it their finest work.  Some really good songs on there.  I have probably spun it more than all other Fates albums combined.

Related:  I ever so briefly met Frank Aresti at the Dream Theater show last week after sound check.  He introduced himself to me simply as "Frank," and it did not click right away who he was until John Petrucci gave his full name.  I felt a little silly then.  :lol  I did not say anything about the new album, partly because I was caught off guard by not recognizing him, and partly because, honestly, I have not paid enough attention to know whether he is on the latest album.  I believe he is, but I did not want to put my foot in my mouth and say how awsome it was if it turns out he isn't even on it.  Anyhow, seems like a really nice guy from what I could tell from such a brief meeting.  I caught a few glimpses of he and his wife watching the DT show from over behind JP's guitar world area, hanging out next to Maddi.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #532 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
Frank does (did) all the solos on the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #533 on: April 22, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
My vague recollection was that he played on this album, but like I said, I couldn't remember for sure, and I would have hated to have said something completely off-base.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
My vague recollection was that he played on this album, but like I said, I couldn't remember for sure, and I would have hated to have said something completely off-base.

Yeah I hear you.

I would someday like to meet Jim Matheos. He's probably my favorite all time musician (lyricist and player).

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »
I got to meet the band on their tour for APSOG in Columbus, Ohio. Frank wasn't with the band at that point and it was Joey's first tour with them. Very nice guys all of them. We spoke to Joey the most, but made our rounds to all of them. Jim seemed to be very reserved, but friendly as well. If you ever get the chance to talk to them definitely take it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: May 09, 2014, 11:39:19 AM »
"And I knooooooooooow we're not children anymoreeeeeeeeee!  Innocence lost in a seaaaaaaaaa of graaaaaaaay!"   :metal

Sorry, just listening to some APSOG.  That part always gets me.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #538 on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »

Same here. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: August 02, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »
I've been obsessing over Jim Matheo's solo albums the past two weeks.  Not the recent solo album that seems to be guitar "noise," but the first two solo albums that have lots of acoustic stuff and violins, etc.  Wow, there is some amazing stuff on those two discs.  I've listened before, but they never really hit me like this.   I'm unhealthily hooked on them right now.

I've even been thinking i'd like to see a short tour of Jim/ Kevin Moore solo material.  Jim plays a solo set first comprised of songs from his solo albums, then a short break before Kevin hits the stage for a set of his solo and Chroma Key material, then they both take the stage for an OSI set to close the show.  Oh, baby.  That would be so killer.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
First impressions and Away with words are amazing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2014, 05:21:17 AM »
I've even been thinking i'd like to see a short tour of Jim/ Kevin Moore solo material.  Jim plays a solo set first comprised of songs from his solo albums, then a short break before Kevin hits the stage for a set of his solo and Chroma Key material, then they both take the stage for an OSI set to close the show.  Oh, baby.  That would be so killer.
Literally shoot me in the face because there's no point in living until I see this.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #542 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:54 AM »
For some reason Ray΄s vocals shine more in Redemption than in Fates. I΄d love to see another Matheos/Arch project.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you΄re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #543 on: August 11, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »
Anybody willing to part ways with the signed vinyl version that was up on the Inside Out webshop earlier in the year?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: August 11, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
Anybody willing to part ways with the signed vinyl version that was up on the Inside Out webshop earlier in the year?

I don't recall them being signed, just a specific color. I have one, I think.  :rollin

Oh wait, I have the CM Distro double white vinyl.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #545 on: August 11, 2014, 03:35:09 PM »

I don't recall them being signed, just a specific color. I have one, I think.  :rollin

Oh wait, I have the CM Distro double white vinyl.

The webshop (Inside Out Europe) was offering signed Red copies for a while....I was out of the country and couldn't order from where I was. I'm kicking my head over this everytime I hear this record...I love this one...including the artwork, very simple and minimalistic yet seems powerful.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #546 on: August 11, 2014, 04:06:32 PM »
The thread prompted me to listen to last year's album again. Yep, still amazing, album of 2013 for me.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #547 on: August 14, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
I really like Ray Alder in everything he does.  Fates Warning, Engine, Redemption...it's all great.  This latest album is really good too, but my all time fav FW album is still APSOG, hands down.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #548 on: September 10, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
It's time to make this thread more active. They are going in Europe and will come to city where I'll be in university. I'm not big fan (I like them but don't know all albums) but I got to see them and I like setlist from last leg.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
Fates Warning, Y U NO COME TO FINLAND?!

The only time they were here was in '95 when they were supporting DT. I guess they don't have enough of a fanbase in Nordic countries... :sadpanda:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2014, 08:54:36 AM »
Fates Warning, Y U NO COME TO FINLAND?!

The only time they were here was in '95 when they were supporting DT. I guess they don't have enough of a fanbase in Nordic countries... :sadpanda:
I think this is going to be their first time in Croatia.
I always feel they are underrated, alsocthey are playing in small club and ticket is cheap. Reason more for me to go, I like smaller venues.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »
FATES WARNING Singer Blames Band's 'Lackadaisical' Attitude For Lack Of DREAM THEATER-Level Commercial Success

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-singer-blames-bands-lackadaisical-attitude-for-lack-of-dream-theater-level-commercial-success/

FATES WARNING singer Ray Alder believes that the group's "lackadaisical" attitude towards recording and touring was was what ultimates cost him and his bandmates the kind of sustained commercial success that is enjoyed by DREAM THEATER, a band that many consider to be the premier progressive metal outfit in the world.

Formed in 1982 by vocalist John Arch, guitarists Jim Matheos and Victor Arduini, bassist Joe DiBiase, and drummer Steve Zimmerman in Hartford, Connecticut, FATES WARNING went through a number of lineup changes in its 30-year-plus career while releasing eleven studio albums, two live albums, one compilation album, one VHS, three DVDs (each of them features live concerts) and four demo tapes. The band experienced major American commercial success with the 1986 release of their third studio album, "Awaken The Guardian", which peaked at No. 191 on The Billboard 200 chart and became the first LP released on Metal Blade to enter that chart. Their next three albums, "No Exit" (1988), "Perfect Symmetry" (1989) and "Parallels" (1991), were also successful; the first two peaked at No. 111 and No. 141 on the Billboard 200, respectively.

Asked by Brazil's "Wikimetal" what he thinks about former DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy saying DREAM THEATER often gets mistakenly credited for creating a genre that FATES WARNING launched years earlier, Alder said: "I get asked that a lot." He continued: "It's funny. They changed everything a lot, DREAM THEATER. They're amazing, amazing musicians, and I'm very happy that they have all the success they have. But their formula was much better than ours. You know, we would do an album and do a tour, and then we'd stop for a couple of years, or four years, and we'd another album and tour. They had the right idea — do an album, tour, do an album, tour, do an album tour — and they built their fan base by being there all the time. And the lack of us touring and putting albums out, it certainly hurt us a bit as far as fans [are concerned]. You know, we [release albums and play to] our fans that are there, and then we're not there anymore, so they move on to something else. I think a lot of it is our fault for being a bit lackadaisical in our performance and writing and things like that… Well, not in our performance — we definitely give everything we have when we play live — but I think that's probably one of the things."

Alder added: "But it doesn't bother me at all [that DREAM THEATER gets that kind of credit]. I mean, again, I wish them all the luck in the world, and it seems like they have it. [Laughs]"

In a 2009 interview with The Mooreatorium, former FATES WARNING drummer Mark Zonder was asked what he would say to those who credit the band with defining the progressive metal genre. "I think 'Eye To Eye' and 'Monument' are pretty close to perfect songs," Mark replied. "That is a very nice compliment, but it would have been nice for the band to progress and become a bit more successful in the commercial sense. I think that would have helped things along instead of us always sort of struggling with good tours, etc."

FATES WARNING's eleventh studio album, "Darkness In A Different Light", sold around 2,700 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD was issued in North America on October 1, 2013 via InsideOut Music.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #552 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
I tend to agree with him.

I first got in FW around the release of FWX which was in 2004. This is probably the height of my interest in the band, but yet the album drops and then they appear to disappear off the face of the earth. Besides the occasional overseas show, I honestly thought they were broken up permanently.   

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #553 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »
Wow, another misleading Blabbermouth article. Who'd have thought.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: October 27, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »
Nice to see The Mooreatorium get cited in the Blabbermouth article.  That was surprise.  Here's my 2009 interview with Zonder they cited, in case anyone is interested.  He was pretty candid: https://themooreatorium.tripod.com/interview-with-mark-zonder-%28oct.-2-2009%29.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:09:03 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #555 on: October 27, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »
That's an awesome interview, M.

And that's a great quote from Ray about being lacksadsical. You can feel his frustration. I've said many times that Jim has made being a Fates fan a very frustratingthing. I've always felt that if he didn't care for his fans, then why should we? His erratic output, to me, showed a lack of respect for the fans.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:34:48 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #556 on: October 27, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
Wow, another misleading Blabbermouth article. Who'd have thought.

Doesn't seem misleading to me. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: October 27, 2014, 03:34:57 PM »
They seemed to have the crossover potential with the release of Parallels, but I guess it was a number of factors that held them back. Not sure of all the reasons, but I think Fates should be on the level of DT

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #558 on: October 27, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
They seemed to have the crossover potential with the release of Parallels, but I guess it was a number of factors that held them back. Not sure of all the reasons, but I think Fates should be on the level of DT
DT seemed to appeal to musicians at the time. I think that really helped their reputation.

Plus DT toured endlessly for I&W. Fates never did anything, especially in the Arch days. They never seemed to have a dirction or drive, even though they were making some pretty thoughtful music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #559 on: October 27, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »
DT seemed to appeal to musicians at the time. I think that really helped their reputation.

Plus DT toured endlessly for I&W. Fates never did anything, especially in the Arch days. They never seemed to have a dirction or drive, even though they were making some pretty thoughtful music.

I was around when all that was happening.  You have to remember that A) DT had a major label, and B) DT had the push of Pull Me Under hitting it big on MTV.    I followed Fates ever since The Spectre Within.   They were on Metal Blade back when Metal Blade was almost nothing.    Fates did the east coast constantly in those days, and occasionally funneled down into LA.    That's the way things have always been.   Living in the Seattle area, it was always REALLY depressing to see Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver...etc...etc... all get to see bands that we never could...just because they were en route to LA.    Fates Warning finally made it to Seattle on the No Exit tour, but I couldn't go because it was at a bar and I was only 18.   

Trust me, FW did what they could.   It was mostly when Parallels failed to make the splash that everyone had hoped for.   Metal Blade had JUST been acquired briefly by Warner Brothers when Parallels came out, so there was a bit of an advertising push...but the singles just didn't become the "hits" that Pull Me Under did.   Less than a year later, WB dropped Metal Blade and very nearly went under.   (this was during the grunge push...and Combat *did* go under during this time.  All the Combat bands were completely out of a job, and their albums went out of print for awhile)

Inside Out was released under the Metal Blade moniker...but some off brand label had picked up distribution (Priority Records?? I think???)  Anyway, interviews with the band kindof hinted that everyone was pretty depressed going back into the studio for that record.  They felt like they had had their "one big shot" with Parallels, and it just didn't happen.   Then when IO did even less (far less I think) than Parallels did, Frank and Joey flew the coup.    To tell you the truth, I thought Fates was completely done at that point....and in many ways, the original incarnation of Fates *was* done at that point.   APSOG was essentially Jim re-inventing himself under the FW moniker.    Not in a bad way, I'm glad he did.   APSOG and Disconnected are now my top 2 FW albums. 

All this is just to say that FW really did try hard to be a touring act up through Inside Out.  But when Joey and Frank left...it became a bit more of a Jim Matheos side-project...even if the music did improve dramatically.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude