Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307735 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #455 on: October 31, 2013, 04:49:08 AM »
This album is really growing, I'm glad I've given it time. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #456 on: October 31, 2013, 08:04:59 AM »
Finally got a chance to check out the newest release here. I'm really digging it. As I noted previously, I've never really listened to FW much before but this is pretty cool. I know it's hard to recommend based on that but what do you guys think I should check out next from them?

I think X sounds the closest to this album.  But then again, I am NOT a Fates Warning fan.  I like the new album a lot, and I think X is pretty good, but beyond that, there are only a small handful of songs from them that I like.  Which is interesting because I LOVE Ray's work in Redemption, and I LOVE the last Arch/Matheos album, which is basically all of Fates Warning's musicians with a different vocalist.  If you haven't checked that album out or haven't check out Redemption's last two albums, I would recommend those over any other Fates Warning albums.  But that's just me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #457 on: October 31, 2013, 08:13:34 AM »
Just have to add this bit of discussion from another forum:

Quote from: bosk1
Can anyone tell me what And Yet It Moves is about? This song is so epic musically and I just started to delve into the lyrics which are thought provoking yet I'm not sure what exactly it's about.

I can't tell you specifically what they are about, but I think the post just prior to mine is on the right track.  The really unfortunate thing is that, whatever the song means, I can't UN-associate it in my mind with a certain Seinfeld episode, which kind of kills any kind of power the message of the song might otherwise have.  Really unfortunate song title in that regard.   :lol

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:23:48 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #458 on: October 31, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
Finally got a chance to check out the newest release here. I'm really digging it. As I noted previously, I've never really listened to FW much before but this is pretty cool. I know it's hard to recommend based on that but what do you guys think I should check out next from them?

Disconnected. It's a little more atmospheric, but I think you'll really dig that if you like the new one.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #459 on: November 16, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
Went to Joliet, IL last night for the opening date of the Fates Warning tour.  The show was excellent and I'm happy to say the place was packed.  The downside is that it wasn't a very big place.  Still I would say there was maybe 300 people there. 

This might be the lamest review because I cannot for the life of me remember the setlist.  It was a pretty long night and they had 4 different opening bands (I think 2 were local).  So Fates didn't go on until after 10 but played til after midnight.  Halycon Way did not go over very well.  They kept trying to get the people into it but it did not go all that well.  People weren't hostile they just didn't respond.  I was half thinking it was a bad omen for how people would react to Fates but once they got on, the crowd was loud, singing along, throwing their hands in the air, etc. 

Hope everyone takes advantage of seeing them.  Tickets were only 17 bucks so it was totally worth it. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #460 on: November 16, 2013, 11:50:27 PM »
I'm going to the show in Cleveland on monday night. I'll try to put up my thoughts in this thread after the show.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #461 on: November 17, 2013, 01:21:55 AM »
I should be hitting the show in December, I'll add what I can.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #462 on: November 17, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
Not really enough activity for this band to justify two threads, so I've merged them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #463 on: November 17, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
So two days after getting the new album in the mail, I got the first two albums in the mail.

And my FW studio collection is now complete.  ;D
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #464 on: November 17, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
So two days after getting the new album in the mail, I got the first two albums in the mail.

Enjoy them!  Night on Brocken has its ups and downs....but the ups are worth it.   The Spectre Within is *amazing*...and every bit Guardian's equal IMHO.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #465 on: November 17, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »

Enjoy them!  Night on Brocken has its ups and downs....but the ups are worth it.   The Spectre Within is *amazing*...and every bit Guardian's equal IMHO.

Good album, but equal?... I dunno. It's just an opinion I guess.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #466 on: November 17, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »

Cool!  :metal I've already gotten pre-used to Arch's voice from Sympathetic Resonance (an album I love) and listened to a bit of Awaken The Guardian last month, so I *think* I'm good to go without any "This isn't Ray.  :sad: " moments.  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Dude!  EPITAPH!!  Pirates of the Underground!!  Kyrie Eleison!!!   Not to mention The Apparition.    Yes....TSW is just as good as Guardian.

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #468 on: November 17, 2013, 03:40:15 PM »

Dude!  EPITAPH!!  Pirates of the Underground!!  Kyrie Eleison!!!   Not to mention The Apparition.    Yes....TSW is just as good as Guardian.

They're definitely pretty close to each other, no doubt about that. Personally I prefer Guardian by a small margin. There's just something special about that album as a whole.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #469 on: November 17, 2013, 06:33:44 PM »

All amazing songs. No argument from me. However, ATG is flawless front to back and is easily one of my favorite albums of all time. The only other album with John on it that compares in quality is SR which I consider Fates Warning canon which would also probably make a top 10 list for me. Twist of Fate would probably also be knocking on the door of that list if it was a little bit longer and had more than the two songs.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #470 on: November 17, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »
New episode of The Jammin Dude show is the second in a series covering the "Unsung Heroes" of music....especially progressive rock artists.   This episode goes over a brief history of Fates Warning.

https://youtu.be/MjjKU7qw0jk

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #471 on: November 19, 2013, 02:13:04 AM »
My Cleveland review:

There were a total of 3 opening bands for the show tonight. The first two were local bands and I can't remember their names. Nothing much to note about these two bands other than the fact that the first band had a sax player. If you would have told me that I would have been seeing a band with a guy playing sax before I got to the venue opening for FW, I would have laughed in your face.

Halcyon Way was slightly interesting. They're really not my thing and I'm not sure how I would catagorize them. They seemed to play fairly well for what they were trying to do, but it's not the kind of thing that I would ever be into, so I'm not sure if I could give them a fair review. I will give them props for being energetic and they seemed to be very positive on stage which is always a positive in my book. I think that they would do better if they were on tour with a different kind of band than FW.

FW went on stage a little bit after 10pm. Their set list was the same as was listed previously in this thread. For the sake of not spoiling it for anyone that might be seeing them later in this tour, I won't be "re-posting" the list. However, one thing that I will say about it is that I didn't recognize the opening song that was played over the PA prior to them hitting the stage. I'm not sure if it was a problem with any other spots in the venue, but most of the music that was played over the PA sounded like a garbled mess where I was standing and that might have had an effect on my ability to pick the song out properly.

Performance wise, I would give the band a very solid B+. There were a few "missed notes" by the musicians here and there, but they were very solid for the most part. The most obvious of the "missed notes" was from the young man that replaced Frank for the tour. He didn't play bad at all. It just appears that he might have chosen to make a few of the lead passages his own instead of playing everything note for note. The band wasn't overly active on stage, but that's not what anyone who goes to a FW show is there to see anyways. Joey Vera's facial expressions and general stage presence is very entertaining, though. Bobby was excellent and did a wonderful job of covering Zonder's parts.

I would also give Ray a solid B+. He had wonderful stage presence. However, he did lose much of his voice later in the set right around the time that they played one of their earlier songs from his era. Considering the weather in northern Ohio tonight and some of the other things that have been discussed about his personal habits in the past, I think that the man held up quite well. Another of Ray's strengths is his ability to convey the emotion of a song to an audience. Ray was very much on top of his game in that aspect tonight.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #472 on: November 19, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
Falling Further.  :metal

I was just expecting a longer version of Falling. This rocks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: November 19, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »

That's pretty much what it is, I love it.  Should have been on the album and really the first time the band have gone back to a little of their sound on Paralells and Inside Out.  Not much, but a little.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #474 on: November 19, 2013, 04:31:53 PM »

That's pretty much what it is, I love it.  Should have been on the album and really the first time the band have gone back to a little of their sound on Paralells and Inside Out.  Not much, but a little.
Paralells and Inside Out are both great albums. Perhaps a little safe compared to the rest of their catalog, and while I typically don't like that kind of thing, Fates was in the pocket on these two albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: November 19, 2013, 04:33:40 PM »
They are still my two fav albums from them, they did indeed nail it.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #476 on: November 19, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking that it really would have been awesome if they did Falling and then it just lead into Falling Further. Would have been awesome on the album.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #477 on: November 19, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »
I finally got a chance to listen to the new FW album with no distractions, and it's definitely a grower.  I agree with the notion that Falling Further should have made the main album and Falling should have been a reprise at the end of the album, though And Yet It Moves is a fantastic song. Far more solid album than I initially gave it credit for, though I still like Arch/Matheos better.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #478 on: November 20, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »

I would also give Ray a solid B+. He had wonderful stage presence. However, he did lose much of his voice later in the set right around the time that they played one of their earlier songs from his era. Considering the weather in northern Ohio tonight and some of the other things that have been discussed about his personal habits in the past, I think that the man held up quite well. Another of Ray's strengths is his ability to convey the emotion of a song to an audience. Ray was very much on top of his game in that aspect tonight.

Towards the end of the set in Joliet he put his hand around his neck during one of the songs as his eyes sort of darted back and forth in a joking manner and it sounded like he said in a cartoonish voice, "Oh my voice".  There were still some other songs to be played and it didn't seem like he had many problems but it was an odd moment

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #479 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44:50 AM »

Towards the end of the set in Joliet he put his hand around his neck during one of the songs as his eyes sort of darted back and forth in a joking manner and it sounded like he said in a cartoonish voice, "Oh my voice".  There were still some other songs to be played and it didn't seem like he had many problems but it was an odd moment

I wonder how long it's been since he's had to sing a full headline set for a full tour. I'm not sure how much Redemption tours and I wonder if it's something that he's just not used to doing at this point. He's also a person that has lived in warm climates his whole life and he's touring the upper mid-west on the verge of winter...

Offline Awaken

« Reply #480 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:10 AM »
https://foxct.com/2013/11/22/morning-extra-progressive-metal-band-fates-warning-performs/

Pretty cool acoustic version of Firefly from this morning's local news

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #481 on: November 24, 2013, 07:41:52 AM »
Yet it moves seems like its about time.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #482 on: November 24, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »
Going to see them tonite. A friend of mine is opening for them.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #483 on: November 24, 2013, 10:02:23 AM »
So last night's show in NYC was awesome. The new songs sounded great and so did Ray. Love how this band always has the bass up in the mix. Joey Vera is into it!

I had been at several shows where FW was the opener for Dream Theater or Queensryche or whatnot, so this was my 1st time seeing them as the main act. It was so good that one enthusiastic prog-metaller started chanting "f*ck Dream Theater!" toward the end of the show.  Lol
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #484 on: November 25, 2013, 07:42:51 AM »
Less than two weeks until the Dallas show!  never having seen FW before, do they pretty much stick to the same setlist throughout their tour, or do they change it up any?  The setlist looks fantastic, from what's been posted here, though i would LOVE to hear "O Chloroform" somewhere in there.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #485 on: November 25, 2013, 08:03:04 AM »
I don't want to see the whole set list, but would like to know if they are playing And Yet It Moves. That's my favorite song of theirs of all time at this point. Are they playing it?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #486 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »
Wasn't on the setlist that was posted here, anyway.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #487 on: November 26, 2013, 02:11:08 AM »
I don't want to see the whole set list, but would like to know if they are playing And Yet It Moves. That's my favorite song of theirs of all time at this point. Are they playing it?

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!

No, they did not play it in Cleveland and I've not seen or heard any mention of the song being played elsewhere.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #488 on: November 26, 2013, 06:43:08 AM »
It seems unfathomable to me that they wouldn't play the epic off their latest album, but oh well. I still hold out hope that they will add it to the set for the second half of the tour.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #489 on: November 27, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »
Nick, I believe you'll be there tonight. If I see you I'll say hi but I'll use this super secret code phrase:

"hi, I'm phoenix from DTF"  ;)