Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 309925 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #420 on: October 08, 2013, 05:13:25 AM »
For me, Arch/Matheos did nothing. It lacked all the elements I loved in A Twist of Fate.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: October 08, 2013, 09:00:25 AM »
I feel like the song order doesn't to the album any favors.  "Falling" is nice, but it feels like an unexplored idea without "Falling Further" on the main CD to bring the idea to fruition.  I also think "Kneel and Obey" gets lost in the seventh spot and would make a killer second track, bumping "Firefly " to the third spot.  I don't like "Falling" in the clean-up (4th) spot -- that's a spot for a hard-hitting song, in my opinion.  Also, none of the songs bleed into each other, so the album almost feels like a bunch of songs as opposed to a "unit."  Just little criticisms, but these are things that would enhance the album for me.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #422 on: October 08, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
Alright, I finally listened to the album, bonus songs included...it's pretty good. And Yet It Moves is just beautiful, Lighthouse is nice as well. Falling should have included Falling Deeper, botg would have made an awesome song. O Chloroform sounded cool with Moores lyrics.

Overall a pretty solid album, better than FWX, although FWX has my favorite song...Wish.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #423 on: October 08, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »
I feel like the song order doesn't to the album any favors.  "Falling" is nice, but it feels like an unexplored idea without "Falling Further" on the main CD to bring the idea to fruition.  I also think "Kneel and Obey" gets lost in the seventh spot and would make a killer second track, bumping "Firefly " to the third spot.  I don't like "Falling" in the clean-up (4th) spot -- that's a spot for a hard-hitting song, in my opinion.  Also, none of the songs bleed into each other, so the album almost feels like a bunch of songs as opposed to a "unit."  Just little criticisms, but these are things that would enhance the album for me.
Oh good, so I'm not the only one having problems with that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: October 08, 2013, 03:34:47 PM »
Still haven't heard this.  I'm hoping I can find it instore this weekend.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: October 08, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »
Oh good, so I'm not the only one having problems with that.

Kevin Moore fans always think alike.  ;)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #426 on: October 08, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
No, no they don't :).

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: October 10, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »
Fates is playing APSOG - Part VI on the tour in Europe!  That's my fav FW song.  Hope they play it in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNHqyjo98g

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #428 on: October 10, 2013, 10:56:33 AM »
Fates is playing APSOG - Part VI on the tour in Europe!  That's my fav FW song.  Hope they play it in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNHqyjo98g

Awesome! I'm lukewarm on APSOG as a whole but that song is also one of my favorite Alder era tracks. Maybe even Top 5. For some reason, I always refer to it as We're Not Children Anymore.

Awesome tune, awesome footage. And Ray Alder sounds...well...awesome!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #429 on: October 10, 2013, 11:34:44 AM »
*chills*  :omg:   :metal   :omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: October 10, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »
Yes, and I love Ray Alder's delivery. He really sings with emotion. I've only seen FW once (Inside Out tour) and I was captivated by Ray the entire night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
Oh gosh Ray :heart

Proof that range isn't everything - well, not that anyone on this forum judges vocalists exclusively by their range, and not that having a wider range doesn't mean having more possibilities, it's just that you can work with any range if you're a truly good singer, and loss of it over time can be compensated in other ways.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #432 on: October 10, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
Love the entire album, except for Kneel and Obey.  Just can't dig that song.  But other than that the songs are all great!  I especially love Lighthouse, Into the Black, and Firefly.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #433 on: October 10, 2013, 10:54:08 PM »
I just saw a picture of a setlist....  I'll shrink it for those who don't want spoilers...

One Thousand Fires
Life In Still Water
One
APSOG Part 3
Another Perfect Day
Down to the Wire
APSOG Part 6
Pieces of Me
I Am
The Eleventh Hour
Point of View
Firefly
Through Different Eyes
APSOG Part 11
Monument

Encore:
Still Remains

I think it's a really solid set list.   I could think of one or two songs I would change....but my expectations were not perfection.   This is a REALLY AWESOME setlist, and I'm really thrilled to see it.   (I just hope that certain songs are NOT truncated for brevity or I'll be pissed)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: October 11, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
Ooooooh god so jealous.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #435 on: October 11, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »
I know less then a half of it, but it looks cool!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #436 on: October 11, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »
I do enjoy APSOG as a whole, but for me... I love the emotion of Ray's voice on the final track, especially on the live version.  But i like the setlist.  Can't wait to see them here in Dallas!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: October 11, 2013, 08:55:08 AM »
I just saw a picture of a setlist....  I'll shrink it for those who don't want spoilers...

One Thousand Fires
Life In Still Water
One
APSOG Part 3
Another Perfect Day
Down to the Wire
APSOG Part 6
Pieces of Me
I Am
The Eleventh Hour
Point of View
Firefly
Through Different Eyes
APSOG Part 11
Monument

Encore:
Still Remains

I think it's a really solid set list.   I could think of one or two songs I would change....but my expectations were not perfection.   This is a REALLY AWESOME setlist, and I'm really thrilled to see it.   (I just hope that certain songs are NOT truncated for brevity or I'll be pissed)

Nice encore!  Oh, baby!  I'm surprised they left out one track in particular from the new album though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:14:39 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #438 on: October 11, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »
That is an awesome set!!!!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #439 on: October 11, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »
DAT ENCORE.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #440 on: October 12, 2013, 06:47:41 AM »
I'm liking it overall, but Having some trouble getting truly into it. I find the drums needlessly overplayed a lot of times.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #441 on: October 12, 2013, 07:20:40 AM »
Still isn't clicking for me. I need to give it a listen away from my computer, away from distractions, because this isn't working for some reason and that's never happened with Fates for me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #442 on: October 12, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »
After seeing Down To the Wire in the setlist, I busted out Inside Out last night. It's been a while but I really love that album. Ray is spectacular on it. I'm generally not a fan of bands contracting themselves into a more commercial sound, but Parallels and Inside Out make a great 1-2 punch.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #443 on: October 12, 2013, 06:16:56 PM »
I'm three spins into it.  I need to get at least two more before I do a Jammin Dude Show review.

I LOVE the opening track.  I don't think FW has ever done a bad opener.   Firefly is the best "single" they've ever recorded IMO.  (and I like the longer version better).   Desire has done nothing for me so far.   Thoughts on Falling and Falling Further in a moment.  I Am, Lighthouse, and Into The Black is my favorite run on the album easily.   That is a trifecta for the ages.   Strongest part of the entire album by a longshot for me.   I really like Kneel and Obey, and I don't get the criticism for it....although the rest of the material is strong enough that I would rank it as a lower tier song.   I agree that O Chloroform sounds like an OSI holdover....but I love OSI, so you'll get no complaints from me...only a lingering curiosity of what it would sound like with Kevin.    And Yet It Moves is a weird one.   After three spins I have yet to find any connection between the first half and the second half of the song.   It almost feels like a mistake.   Like the first 9 minutes is a completely separate song called "Destination Unknown" with it's own beginning, verses, choruses and ending...and then a five minute song called "And Yet It Moves" begins.   It's just weird. 

Regarding Falling and Falling Farther.   Two ideas that I think would have worked better than the way it is now...but I can't decide which idea I prefer.

1) Falling as an intro to Falling Farther....it would become one single 6+ minute song with a beautiful acoustic intro.

2) Swap the titles.   The rockin version becomes Falling and remains track 4 on the album.   The acoustic piece becomes Falling Farther and appears as an 11th track "coda" for the album after "And Yet It Moves".    Riverside did something similar for their new album "Shrine of New Generation Slaves" and I thought it worked brilliantly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: October 13, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
J-dude, I agree with you on Falling/ Falling Farther.

Been on an FW kick and I spun FWX last night. It is easily my least favorite Alder era album by a large margin.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #445 on: October 13, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
I'm still pretty new to FW (only listened to a few albums so far) but I thought the new album was really damn good.

probably gonna end up as one of my favorites from this year   :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: October 13, 2013, 01:17:13 PM »
2) Swap the titles.   The rockin version becomes Falling and remains track 4 on the album.   The acoustic piece becomes Falling Farther and appears as an 11th track "coda" for the album after "And Yet It Moves".    Riverside did something similar for their new album "Shrine of New Generation Slaves" and I thought it worked brilliantly.
PRECISELY it worked soooooo good for Riverside and I love both tracks.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: October 15, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
From Fates Warning's Facebook:

This is just a personal message from the fateswarning.com webmaster, wearing my long-time fan hat.

It would be great to get all of the North American shows packed to capacity, so let's start tossing around ideas to help get them promoted. Join the forum in the link below to share your ideas, or at least go here to download the North American tour flyers and spread the word.

https://fateswarning.com/Forum/tabid/269/aft/202/Default.aspx

Offline jammindude

« Reply #448 on: October 19, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »
It's finally here!!

I posted it a couple of days late...but when I was recording it, I went on a LONG rant about the history of the band, and it just bloated the entire recording.   I ended up with a 25 minute video that was less than half review of the album.    So it took me a couple of days to "trim the fat" (which was about 80% of the "band history" rant) and now I have something that I'm mostly happy with.   

Hope you all enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/W6hAB0-wwho

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: October 28, 2013, 04:33:29 AM »
Finally found the 2cd version in store on Saturday.  After one listen, this is a tricky one.  It obviously feels like a massive grower, so I'm going to be patient and give it time, but on the first listen, it felt a little safe.  It sounded more like Arch/Matheos and OSI then Fates Warning, but I think after so long between records, that's bound to happen.

Love the intro track.  Firefly has grown on me since initially hearing it.  Desire is an interesting one, sounds like a mix of OSI and Pieces of Me IMO.  Falling seems out of place and IMO it needs the excellent Falling Further with it.  That's a great one, and reminds one of the Parallels/Inside Out times.  I Am didn't grab me and neither did Lighthouse to be honest.  Kneel and Obey was a good one, and Chloroform was nice too.  And Yet It Moves is an instant classic to me.  This is what I was waiting for from the album.  It's basically a 2013 Still Remains but it's brilliant.

Interesting record.  I am also pretty disappointed that Frank Aresti did not contribute any rhythm guitar.  Just seeing him credited as 'additional lead guitar' leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest.  It's like he's still a guess, but now him not being on tour, who knows where he will stand with the band in the future.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: October 28, 2013, 04:34:42 AM »
Also, I think I'm gonna make a single version of the cd and replace Firefly with the long version.  I also would place Falling a little deeper in the record and then follow it with Falling Further.  Then add the live tracks on the end.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #451 on: October 28, 2013, 12:50:08 PM »
Can't find this freakin' album anywhere in stores.  :facepalm:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #452 on: October 28, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »
RR, please, sign this band!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #453 on: October 30, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »
Finally got a chance to check out the newest release here. I'm really digging it. As I noted previously, I've never really listened to FW much before but this is pretty cool. I know it's hard to recommend based on that but what do you guys think I should check out next from them?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #454 on: October 31, 2013, 12:12:07 AM »
I listened to APSOG and the new album and both left good first impressions! :) I should get Disconnected/Inside Out soon.