Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307671 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
Honestly, I think it might come down to money. All those short tours through Europe probably sold well enough to make it worth it for him. And the one offs in CT and ProgPower wouldn't have been as huge an inconvenience. This tour asks for a good chunk of time off with very little monetary return. I can easily just see it not being worth it for him.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Aquiesence

« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »
I am excited about Frank being back to Fates too so I hope everything is OK with the band and this is just for this tour. I was hoping to see Frank and Jim live again but I will attend Fates show in Athens no matter what.
Beside Firefly I have not listened more than a couple of times the other two songs, I am waiting for the release of the full album to "feel" the entire Fates experience.
"Close your eyes, what do you see ? Dreams in rhyme with reality"
my blog: https://eburnus.blogspot.com/

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
I believe Frank currently lives in NY, so hopefully he can at least perform at the NY/NJ/CT shows.  They're are all within 1-3 hours away.  Those happen to be the ones I'm attending, so that would be a nice treat.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2013, 02:28:28 AM »
https://www.michaelabdow.com/

I've never heard of this guy, but after watching a couple of the videos on his site he seems to be a very capable player.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #354 on: September 15, 2013, 06:11:53 AM »
https://www.michaelabdow.com/

I've never heard of this guy, but after watching a couple of the videos on his site he seems to be a very capable player.

Yeah, dude has the chops to play the FW material live. However I do agree with the concern someone else mentioned as far as covering for the chemistry that Jim has with Frank. Those two are probably my personal favorite dual guitar team in a band ever. :metal

BTW, a review for the album popped up on Sputnik!
https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/58919/Fates-Warning-Darkness-In-A-Different-Light/
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #355 on: September 25, 2013, 08:01:28 AM »
So just out of curiosity I checked out the VIP package details

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #356 on: September 25, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »
I think that's just for cases of emergency, or when someone gets sick and replaced on tour or whatever.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: September 25, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
For those interested, there was some issues regarding the NYC VIP meet-and-greet that were ironed out on the FW forum.  The NYC meet-and-greet includes admission to the show for the $50 price.  The venue's website was very unclear, so I called this week and they modified the website to make it more clear that it includes admission.  The other meet-and-greets don't include admission.  Apparently, the NYC venue is doing their own meet-and-greet with the band and it's separate from the packages being offer by FW.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jammindude

« Reply #358 on: September 25, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
I think that's just for cases of emergency, or when someone gets sick and replaced on tour or whatever.

That...and also to legally cover their asses if you got to meet Jim and Ray and Joey....but you wanted to talk to Bobby.    They can't guarantee EVERYONE will be there...but in my experience, Jim has always been very cordial and gracious to fans...so I'd be willing to bet that he will be front and center for every meet and greet (barring some emergency, as Mora said)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: September 25, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
I'm tempted to spring for a second meet-and-greet, in Amityville.  $50 is such a reasonable price, and FW never tours.  Plus, I'm not sure if the NYC meet-and-greet will be different, or lesser in quality, in some way since it's being coordinated through the venue and not the band itself.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: September 26, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #361 on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
Sounds amazing. I love the O Chloroform sample.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »
I just had the pleasure of listening to "O Chloroform."  What an absolute trip.  I never had such a fun time listening to song for the first time.  I've never heard anyone but Kevin sing his lyrics before.  Kevin's lyrics are often riddle-like and nonsensical delivered in a deadpan voice or sarcastic tone.  But Ray's voice is so different.  He sings with such emotion and seriousness.  So we have an emotional and serious voice delivering riddle-like and nonsensical lyrics.  It's such a contradiction that it's actually fascinating to hear and makes the song stand out.  I freaking loved it!!!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »
I've managed to resist hearing much of anything this long, I can last a few more days. Is it the 30th yet? I hope my copy isn't delayed/lost in the mail.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »
Just noticed this interview with Ray posted online by The Classic Metal Show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEVCg7TvaW4

Offline emtee

« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
Going to be very hard for anyone to top this as album of the year. Maybe DT. Maybe Tesseract. Maybe Byzantine.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2013, 06:42:38 PM »
Just got my copy of the special edition and shirt. Gonna listen later, possibly after the Little People show tonight.  I haven't heard any sample yet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #367 on: September 30, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
Any impressions?  Still waiting for my copy from Amazon to ship.  They are slow as dirt

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »
The album is fucking sick! The only downside is that it is very heavy guitar driven and while I absolutely love the album I wish it could have been double cd so we can get some of the more atmospheric vibes from Disconnected and FWX.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »
Just downloaded it from Amazon.com about to spin it for the first time on the way home from work right now  :metal

I'll listen in the gym tomorrow morning as well.  That will get me through the entire thing at least twice.

I'll come back and post my initial impressions after that.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #370 on: October 01, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
I'm loving it! Probably more than the new DT (and I absolutely loved DT12).

The production is great too!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #371 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
So far, sounds amazing!  But like DT, i need to listen a few times all the way through to really formulate a cohesive opinion.

On the flip side, i do have December 5th marked on my calendar for when FW hits DALLAS!!!  Anyone else planning on attending here?   It's at a small club, but it's an all-ages show, so i can bring my 15 year old son.  Only fitting that DT was his first metal show (only second concert after Paul McCartney), and FW should be his second!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #372 on: October 01, 2013, 09:31:53 AM »
So far, sounds amazing!  But like DT, i need to listen a few times all the way through to really formulate a cohesive opinion.

On the flip side, i do have December 5th marked on my calendar for when FW hits DALLAS!!!  Anyone else planning on attending here?   It's at a small club, but it's an all-ages show, so i can bring my 15 year old son.  Only fitting that DT was his first metal show (only second concert after Paul McCartney), and FW should be his second!

I'll be there. Driving from Austin. I've been to Trees several times. Evregrey, Epica, Katatonia, Amob....decent venue, not so good sound though. But after I read what happened to King's X in San Antonio, I won't be going to that show.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #373 on: October 01, 2013, 09:39:27 AM »
Dammit, had a payment snafu with Amazon and my pre-order was delayed. Saying it will be here on Friday...  :angry:

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: October 01, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
Really good record. After the more recent Fates albums and OSI, I was starting to worry that Matheos had hit the snooze button. But Arch/Matheos and this confirm that he's still go an edge.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #375 on: October 01, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »
And Yet It Moves and Firefly are instant favorites.  :tup

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #376 on: October 01, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
Yeah, I need a few more spins to decide what I think.  Generally, I like it.  But there are already a couple of tracks that I know I'm going to skip whenever I listen to it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:18 AM »
But after I read what happened to King's X in San Antonio, I won't be going to that show.

Care to elaborate?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #378 on: October 02, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »
I dig the new album, but I'm surprised at how much love there is for Firefly. I find that and Desire to be easily the weakest songs on the album. The opening track is kickass, but on my first listen, after track 3 I was worrying that the album was just not going to interest me. Fortunately it got much better again after that!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #379 on: October 02, 2013, 05:35:06 AM »
But there are already a couple of tracks that I know I'm going to skip whenever I listen to it.

Agreed

I find that and Desire to be easily the weakest songs on the album.

And Agreed

Desire is really pretty bad. Lighthouse just meanders and Kneel and obey is just ok.

But that being said I do love 1000 fires, Into the Black and Yet it moves. The other songs never really go above being just good. For me, the album is just so so. Which is kinda disappointing considering how strong Arch/matheos was.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #380 on: October 02, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
But after I read what happened to King's X in San Antonio, I won't be going to that show.

Care to elaborate?

No kidding.  I hadn't heard any feedback from that show.  What happened?
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #381 on: October 02, 2013, 08:05:34 AM »
I need to give this another listen, because at the moment nothing's sticking with me. It's certainly not in the league of the Arch/Matheos album, not in the least. It feels like all the fire went into the A/M album, because this, despite being guitar driven, just kind of lays there.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: October 02, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
I need to give this another listen, because at the moment nothing's sticking with me. It's certainly not in the league of the Arch/Matheos album, not in the least. It feels like all the fire went into the A/M album, because this, despite being guitar driven, just kind of lays there.

I do agree with this.  I'm liking parts of the album, but it still hasn't grabbed me.  Maybe it's because I prefer FW's atmospheric sound in APSOG and Disconnected, as opposed to the dryer sound of Parallels and Inside Out.  Don't get me wrong.  There are songs I'm loving (Firefly, I am, Into the Black), but I'm not head over heels just yet like so many people seem to be.  I'm giving it more time though, because I know FW albums always take me multiple listens.

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #383 on: October 02, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
I've heard the album two times. The first time I was slightly disappointed, 2nd time through i had much more fun.

What do you think about the voice of Ray ?
The last time I've heard Ray was on FWX and I was initially shocked to hear he lost a lot of his voice. I still like hearing him sing, but the last 9 years did no good to his voice. On the other hand his voice fits the raw sound of DIADL.
In my world Arch/Matheos was a Fates Warning album, too, and had a glossier sound.
While all of my metal buddies said something like: "Great music, unbearable voice.", about A/M, I still prefer John Arch to Ray Alder.

I love Lighthouse. Such a dark fatmosphere. I hope at one point Jim Matheos releases an solo album, that doesn't rock more than Lighthouse. Something like a sonic ghost story. 

So I might not like DIADL as much as A/M, I think I like it more than FWX and the last two OSI albums.

In the end, I feel like being in Prog heaven, with two of my favorite bands, releasing two very strong albums within a couple of weeks.
Excuse me for comparing, but I have been with them from the beginning, and I have to say, this round goes to Dream Theater.       
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:16:26 AM by Delirious Nomad »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #384 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »
Amazon delayed my order til the 9th.

Super pissed...but can't really cancel it either because it was an Amazon gift card my mother in law gave me. 

:censored
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude