Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307651 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
This simply makes no sense at all.

Makes perfect sense. Those harmonies in the chorus.. THOSE HARMONIES.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #211 on: August 05, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
You've seriously GOT to be listening to the wrong song.    There are background vocals in that song...but they are pretty buried...and not "poppy" harmonies at all.   Hell....the Galactic Cowboys have 10x more harmonies than anything FW has ever recorded...and even they are not even on the same planet as The Backstreet Boys.

EDIT:  And while I'm not the biggest fan of IO, the opening track is one of the better songs. 

Really...it's a really good (not great) album that mostly just suffers from the horribly thin production.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: August 05, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »
You've seriously GOT to be listening to the wrong song.    There are background vocals in that song...but they are pretty buried...and not "poppy" harmonies at all.   Hell....the Galactic Cowboys have 10x more harmonies than anything FW has ever recorded...and even they are not even on the same planet as The Backstreet Boys.

EDIT:  And while I'm not the biggest fan of IO, the opening track is one of the better songs. 

Really...it's a really good (not great) album that mostly just suffers from the horribly thin production.

No it's the right song, confirmed the lyrics to a couple sites.  Then I checked out a youtube version of the song, same song.

You're right, the production is buried.  The vocals are way in the front of the music.. listening at work on cheap speakers doesn't help fur sure.. but even on my macbook at home where I can crank it up (which still isn't high fidelity or anything) it just sounds very poppy... ESPECIALLY the chorus. The music itself isn't the issue, it's the damn vocals.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »

No it's the right song, confirmed the lyrics to a couple sites.  Then I checked out a youtube version of the song, same song.

You're right, the production is buried.  The vocals are way in the front of the music.. listening at work on cheap speakers doesn't help fur sure.. but even on my macbook at home where I can crank it up (which still isn't high fidelity or anything) it just sounds very poppy... ESPECIALLY the chorus. The music itself isn't the issue, it's the damn vocals.

I was just listening to this back to back with "Leave the Past Behind"....I hear absolutely NO difference in the vocal harmonies of the chorus.   In fact (as much as I love LTPB) I would say the latter is actually the *more* commercial sounding of the two songs...in spite of the fact that the choruses actually sound a bit similar.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2013, 08:25:23 PM »

I was just listening to this back to back with "Leave the Past Behind"....I hear absolutely NO difference in the vocal harmonies of the chorus.   In fact (as much as I love LTPB) I would say the latter is actually the *more* commercial sounding of the two songs...in spite of the fact that the choruses actually sound a bit similar.

LTPB has a much better mix.  The music is actually there... OLI it's kind of like they forgot to move the sliders up on the mix. Even if the chorus' are similar the music helps hide the poppiness of some of the singing on LTPB.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: August 07, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: August 07, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
Wow, liner notes and press releases from every album -- and a comprehensive tour history.  Nice.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #218 on: August 07, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
What we really need is a single.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
Wow, liner notes and press releases from every album -- and a comprehensive tour history.  Nice.
Great list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
Definitely getting that double cd.

I'm really keen to hear something from this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
Highly anticipating hearing something from this release

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »
Nick should have his review up soon.  All I will add is that I by in large agree with him.

What did he say?  You'll find out soon.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #224 on: August 13, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »
Here is my review of the album, looking forward to this tour even more now!

https://www.wpapu.com/rev073.html
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #225 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30:10 PM »
It has been so long I've largely moved on from FW, they used to be one of my favorite bands. Oh well. I'll still pick up this release and hope for the best. The review does well enough to pique my interest.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:39 PM »
Nick, very interesting review. How would you compare the album stylistically to the Arch/Matheos album? I know that you say that this effort is a bit different than the other projects that Jim has worked on in the last nine years, but I'm wondering if there are many similarities to the album that was released a couple of years ago. Part of the reason that I ask is that I know that some of the tracks on the Arch/Matheos album were originally intended to be FW songs ect. ect...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »
I'm not answering for Nick, but I would say it's not as heavy as Arch/Matheos.  I'd say they are pretty different animals.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:42 AM »
I'm not answering for Nick, but I would say it's not as heavy as Arch/Matheos.  I'd say they are pretty different animals.

Did you get to hear the new material as well? I'm obviously jealous of you guys lol... I'm really pumped up about this album and getting to see them live again later this year. I havn't seen FW live since they were the opening act for DT and Queensryche in 2003.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2013, 03:01:29 AM »
Did you get to hear the new material as well? I'm obviously jealous of you guys lol... I'm really pumped up about this album and getting to see them live again later this year. I havn't seen FW live since they were the opening act for DT and Queensryche in 2003.

Well, I guess being 'jealous' is all relative. After all, you got to see the "Big Three" of Progressive Metal, and I sure as hell am jealous of that.  ;D
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »
Count me as a fan that has been nothing but frustrated at the lack of new material.

But after A/M and Nick's review, I am really looking forward to this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2013, 07:04:28 AM »
Arch/Matheos is definitely heavier, but the level and at times style of guitar work on that album is certainly seen on the new Fates album.

For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »
Arch/Matheos is definitely heavier, but the level and at times style of guitar work on that album is certainly seen on the new Fates album.

Nice. :tup Could you describe Ray's vocal performance on this? Is it more akin to his performance on previous FW albums like Disconnected or does he sound more like he does on the Redemption albums like Snowfall On Judgement Day?
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2013, 08:31:25 AM »
I talked briefly with Joey Vera after an Armored Saint concert in late 2011, after the release of Arch/Matheos.  I asked why no FW album.  He led me to believe it was mostly because Ray did not "feel" the material that Jim had been coming up with, and so it was used for the Arch/Matheos record instead.  So, it makes sense that the new FW is a little different sounding than the A/M.  I trust Jim's songwriting and I know this album will kick ass.  Love the review, Nick.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
I talked briefly with Joey Vera after an Armored Saint concert in late 2011, after the release of Arch/Matheos.  I asked why no FW album.  He led me to believe it was mostly because Ray did not "feel" the material that Jim had been coming up with, and so it was used for the Arch/Matheos record instead.  So, it makes sense that the new FW is a little different sounding than the A/M.  I trust Jim's songwriting and I know this album will kick ass.  Love the review, Nick.
Awesome!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »

Yeah, that's the only time I've ever been able to see them too. I'll definitely be checking them out on this tour, though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »

I havn't seen FW live since they were the opening act for DT and Queensryche in 2003.

I'm so jealous.

Back in 2003 I was like 14 years old and had no way to go to concerts at that point, but dumb me was like "oh I'll just catch them of the next tour". Wasn't expecting them to disappear for 10 years  :P

Regardless my FW ticket for this tour is printed and sitting on my nightstand. This time I will be seeing them

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »
I got into DT, QR, and FW all with 1 or 2 years of that tour. Ever since I've looked back at it with RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
I was into all 3 bands at the time of that tour, but couldn't go due to some big projects at college at the time. I'm kicking myself in retrospect.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »
 When was the tour that QR was meant to do with DT but decided to open for Maiden instead - the one that sparkled the whole Portnoy outburst against QR for leaving DT empty-handed?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: August 14, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
I really want to hear something from this album pretty soon, I'm getting impatient.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #241 on: August 14, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »
When was the tour that QR was meant to do with DT but decided to open for Maiden instead - the one that sparkled the whole Portnoy outburst against QR for leaving DT empty-handed?

I believe that was in 2000. I seen QR and Halford open for IM on that tour. Halford actually opened the show, but they should have been the middle act in my opinion.

Also, I've seen FW live a total of 3 times, but the DT/QR opening gig was the last as I mentioned before. Of those 3 times I've only seen them headline once. That was for APSOG. The other time I seen them was for Disconnected and they opened for Savatage in Cleveland, Ohio.

The last time that I seen them was probably their weakest performance. It wasn't really a bad set, but they had Nick D'Virgilio playing drums for them at the time and while I think he's a great drummer, he's just not suitable as a replacement for Mark.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:43 AM »
I really want to hear something from this album pretty soon, I'm getting impatient.

Yeah can't wait either.  Getting a new FW along with new DT within a week of each other is going to be awesome.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »
Actually, didn't Arch/Matheos come out on the same day as ADToE?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2013, 05:56:11 AM »
I think that's right.  For some reason, September 24 or 25 is ringing a bell.