Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307662 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »
Leave the Past Behind
Life in Still Water
Eye to Eye
The Eleventh Hour
Point of View
We Only Say Goodbye
Don't Follow Me
The Road Goes on Forever
Pale Fire
Face the Fear
Nothing Left To Say
Monument
------------------
One
APSOG Part 3
Another Perfect Day
Through Different Eyes
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
They also played one of the movements of Ivory Gate in the encore, I believe.  They played for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

It was awesome to see them.  Damn, that place was super hot and loud.  I woke up this morning and felt like death lol.  No special guests, although Ray said during the show that former band members were in the audience.  I was hoping they might perform in the encore. They sounded really good.  I think Frank Aresti kept forgetting his harmonizing lyrics and Ray would joking point at a lyric sheet he had behind the speakers.  It was funny.  Not sure if other people noticed or just us, since we were so close.  Ray also took a quick cigarette break during the long instrumental start of Nothing Left to Say, which ZeppelinDT pointed out to me lol.  I loved seeing Zonder in action.  He's such a great drummer.  And Matheos totally feels the music.  He plays with his eyes closed alot and just gets lost in the vibe.  All the guys looked good.  Joe DiBiase, who the band used to call "Bones" in the early days, is no longer skin and bones.  But he looked like he really enjoyed being up on stage.  Overall, it was a great time.  A lot of fans singing along and pumping their fists.  So glad I got to see that legendary lineup play together!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm gonna get some Fates Warning when I have money, and also, power metallers Sacred Oath from my area toured with FW back in the day, so you guys should check them out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 01:25:58 PM »
I don't have anything against Sacred Oath, but for a lot of bands, having toured with somebody I love is no reason to check them out as many of them often pick very different and very bad openers.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 01:29:51 PM »
I don't have anything against Sacred Oath, but for a lot of bands, having toured with somebody I love is no reason to check them out as many of them often pick very different and very bad openers.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but a lot of bands I see open me to a lot of new goo music with their openers. I always check out the openers as soon as they are announced, and more often than not, I like them. But to each his own.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »
Nick did you end up going? I thought I saw you but wasn't sure.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
How hot was it in there last night?  I thought I was gonna pass out. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2010, 04:33:08 PM »
How hot was it in there last night?  I thought I was gonna pass out. 
It was really hot. Ray mentioned the heat a few times and so did a couple other openers. luckily it wasn't TOO packed in the bar area.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
, and also, power metallers Sacred Oath from my area toured with FW back in the day, so you guys should check them out.

Sacred Oath is Rob Volpintesta (Thorne) of Soundscape's band. I would have loved to have been there (although Sacred Oath aren't exactly my thing).

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
, and also, power metallers Sacred Oath from my area toured with FW back in the day, so you guys should check them out.

Sacred Oath is Rob Volpintesta (Thorne) of Soundscape's band. I would have loved to have been there (although Sacred Oath aren't exactly my thing).
Yeah they're cool guys. Rob's my friend's guitar teacher, so I know them all and talk to them on Facebook and stuff. They actually just signed a CD and sent it to me for $10. I know you said they're not your thing, but if you live near Connecticut, they're playing right in Danbury for like $10 on the 19th.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »

Yeah they're cool guys. Rob's my friend's guitar teacher, so I know them all and talk to them on Facebook and stuff. They actually just signed a CD and sent it to me for $10. I know you said they're not your thing, but if you live near Connecticut, they're playing right in Danbury for like $10 on the 19th.

yeah I would come out to see them, just to meet them. But unfortunately I live a $300+ plane ticket away in Minnesota.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 05:27:15 PM »

yeah I would come out to see them, just to meet them. But unfortunately I live a $300+ plane ticket away in Minnesota.
Ah, that might be a slight obstacle indeed.

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »
That show last night was one of the best live shows I've attended.  It was better than the Atlanta show last September and I'm glad they seemed to get a great response.

and yeah, they played Quietus in between Perfect Day and Through Different Eyes.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »
I wasn't there. Wish I could have been but the timing just wasn't right for me right now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 04:51:05 AM »
Since I couldn't find an official thread on this band I thought I'd start one.  Mainly because I read this exciting news yesterday;

https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=173299

Metal Blade Records has set a June 5 release date (one day earlier internationally) for the reissue of FATES WARNING's classic 1994 album "Inside Out". This re-release comes as a double CD plus bonus-DVD. It contains the classic original album as well as live tracks from a German show FATES WARNING played in Düsseldorf in 1995 and unreleased demo takes. The bonus-DVD contains an assortment of live clips, from 1993-1995.

CD1 - Inside Out (re-mastered original album)

01. Outside Looking In
02. Pale Fire
03. The Strand
04. Shelter Me
05. Island In The Stream
06. Down To The Wire
07. Face The Fear
08. Inward Bound
09. Monument
10. Afterglow

CD2 – Live in Düsseldorf, Germany February 11th 1995

01. Outside Looking In
02. Down To The Wire
03. The Eleventh Hour
04. Point Of View
05. Face The Fear

Demos/Unreleased

01. Outside Looking In (demo)
02. Pale Fire (demo)
03. Shelter Me (demo)
04. Island In The Stream (demo)
05. Face The Fear (demo)
06. Monument (rough mix)
07. Circles (unreleased)

DVD - Inside Out Live

* Outside Looking In (1994/95)
* Pale Fire (1993/94)
* The Strand (1994)
* Shelter Me (1993)
* Island In The Stream (2010)
* Down To The Wire (1994/95)
* Face The Fear (1994/95)
* Monument (1994/95)
* Afterglow Slide Show

Extras:

* Live In Still Water (1994)
* Through Different Eyes (1995)
* Guardian (Mike Portnoy drums) (1994)
* Shades Of Heavenly Death (1995)
* MTV Europe Interview (1995)
* Eye to Eye (1994/95)
* Face The Face Of Fear (1994)
* Don't Follow Me (1994)
* Shortest Fates Warning Show Ever (1994)
* Guardian (Arch/Alder duet) (1994)

In a recent interview with Bulgaria's Tangra Mega Rock, FATES WARNING singer Ray Alder stated about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's new CD, "We're trying as hard as we can. We have these shows [in Europe] and then we go to Brazil in April. And in the meantime we are working as hard as we can to finish the album. Hopefully we'll have it out by the end of this year, If not, the beginning of next year. We're trying our best."

He added, "We need to finish writing right now. We finished the first song. The demo version is already done. We'll continue writing as we have a lot of ideas that we need to put together. But the first song is done and I can tell you it's seven minutes long. The recording process itself usually takes about two months and then after that it's another three more months before the album is released. So, we are talking five months out there after the album has been written."

The "Parallels" lineup of FATES WARNING played a number of shows in 2010 in support of the released special edition of the album, which was made available through Metal Blade Records. In addition to remastered audio, there is a second audio disc of live and demo material. The package also includes a DVD with nearly three hours of material, including a complete live show from the 1992 "Parallels" tour and a documentary on the making of "Parallels" which includes live, studio, and current day interview footage with all the band members, Terry Brown (producer) and Brian Slagel (CEO of Metal Blade Records).

FATES WARNING's latest CD, "X", was released in 2004 on Metal Blade Records. The follow-up to 2000's "Disconnected" was recorded at Carriage House studios in Stamford, Connecticut and features cover artwork by renowned record-cover artist Ioannis (DREAM THEATER, SEPULTURA, DEEP PURPLE, BLUE ÖYSTER CULT, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, KING CRIMSON, BIOHAZARD, VOIVOD, UFO, OVERKILL).

This is amazing, seriously love this album.  One error though it says Circles is unreleased which is untrue because it's available on the Chasing Time collection, unless it's a different version.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:55:32 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 05:08:38 AM »
I love Inside-out.

Its just as strong as parallels and Island In the Stream is one of the most beautiful and powerful songs I've ever heard in my life.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
Here's an exciting idea, put out the new FW already.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Here's an exciting idea, put out the new FW already.

I 2nd this motion.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
I <3 Fates Warning.  Can't wait to see Arch/Matheos in two days in Connecticut, which is pretty much like seeing FW.

I hope Matheos has some good songwriting left in him for the new FW.  He's gotta be tapped out after churning out OSI and A/M discs within the past year.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »
I did me some Fates Warning, but my reaction to reissues, frankly, is:  yawn

Put out a new album

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
I did me some Fates Warning, but my reaction to reissues, frankly, is:  yawn

Put out a new album

Which they are officially working on. I can't wait for the new album. Jim Matheos is on an absolute roll lately, between all the OSI albums and Arch/Matheos.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
Yeah, that's cool.  I guess I'm just burned out on all these "reissues" and "remasters" that everyone is releasing lately.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »
An amazing and highly underrated band. They should be on a similar level as DT. I've heard they should have a new album out by the end of the year. Which era do you guys like better?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »
For me it's the Alder era.  Arch isn't really my cuppa. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
An amazing and highly underrated band. They should be on a similar level as DT. I've heard they should have a new album out by the end of the year. Which era do you guys like better?

Tough call.

Even though John Arch is my favorite singer, I find that I need to be in just the right mood to really enjoy the Arch-era, where-as I can put on Alder era almost any time and it will click.

and since Pleasant Shade of grey is my favorite FW album, I guess Alder-era wins by a hair, but its very close.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »
Yeah I enjoy the Alder albums more as well.  I would pick parallels as my favorite overall.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
Yeah I enjoy the Alder albums more as well.  I would pick parallels as my favorite overall.

The Road Goes on Forever...    :heart :hefdaddy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »

This.  The Alder era is just more my style.  I was listening to Disconnected the other day and that is amazing.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »

Leave the Past Behind thru The Road Goes on Forever...    :heart :hefdaddy

Fix'd
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2012, 04:57:59 AM »

Fix'd

But Don't Follow Me until The Eleventh Hour when we only say Goodbye to Life in Still Water.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:23 AM »

Fix'd

But Don't Follow Me until The Eleventh Hour when we only say Goodbye to Life in Still Water.

I see Eye to Eye with your Point of View.

Also A Pleasant Shade of Gray I-XII.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
Honestly I've only really listened to the Alder era - the Arch era stuff isn't my kind of music anyway and when I tried it out I really didn't like his voice. I only really got into FW over the past year so I'm not really familiar with every album, but Disconnected is my favourite. Still Remains   :tup

Hope they can get a new album out this year.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »
Honestly I've only really listened to the Alder era - the Arch era stuff isn't my kind of music anyway and when I tried it out I really didn't like his voice. I only really got into FW over the past year so I'm not really familiar with every album, but Disconnected is my favourite. Still Remains   :tup

Hope they can get a new album out this year.

Still Remains is absolutely incredible. Its my second favorite FW song behind Road Goes on Forever.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »
Arch era for me, got into them off some compliation album..went out and immediately bought their catologue ..when Arch left and Alder joined the music seemed to take a different turn than what i was accustomed too although I can't fault anyone who was introduced to them during the Alder era for likeing that more
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »
I guess I'm just burned out on all these "reissues" and "remasters" that everyone is releasing lately.

In general, I agree.  But at least they are making this one worthwhile with all the bonus content.  It bugs me when bands do reissues with one or two bonus songs, but this has a ton of extras.  I will probably get this, but interestingly, I'm not really a fan of most of their stuff.  There are a few songs here and there that I like, but the only full album of theirs I have ever really enjoyed is X.  I think a lot of it has to do with Ray's voice.  I just don't like the sound of his upper register.  I love his mid-range and low-register stuff in Redemption, but the more high-register stuff he does with Fates puts me off. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."