Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 309855 times)

Offline dongringo

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Darkness in a Different Light
« Reply #385 on: October 02, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
Well after several listens its grown on me. I do really like the album but it comes nowhere near DT for me. Am enjoying it though. Its better than everything since APSOG in my opinion. Disconnected and FWX were too hit and miss. This one is actually quite consistent in its overall sound and feel.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #386 on: October 02, 2013, 11:11:51 AM »
Desire would turn out way, way better if it were an OSI song, this way the more OSI-ish parts just don't really shine. Lighthouse is really boring (Jesus I never ever qualified a SINGLE Fates song as boring, I like them way better than, let's say, DT in that respect), I Am is excellent, and the rest is just sorta there. I really liked Firefly when it got out, and Into The Black too, but I think they lost a part of their groove with the album placing.

I'll give the album more listens and maybe try my hand at an alternate tracklist (or maybe not since I know Jim Matheos spends a lot of time on them so it's not like I can do better), but I definitely expected to like it way more than I do now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #387 on: October 02, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
It's grown on me quite a bit.  I still think FWX was a better record, but I'm definitely pretty happy with this one. 

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: October 02, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
What do you think about the voice of Ray ?
Redemption was my first taste of Ray, but to me he pretty much sounds the same from Parallels onward. He wails less but he's better that way, I think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: October 02, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
What do you think about the voice of Ray ?
Redemption was my first taste of Ray, but to me he pretty much sounds the same from Parallels onward. He wails less but he's better that way, I think.

To me Ray is the strong point of the album. I think he sounds terrific. Obviously he doesn't have the range he once did, but I love how he sounds here.

FWX is just OK to me and Disconnected, I don't know what to make of....it feels like an EP if you ask me.
but DIADL after two listens is very enjoyable.

Oh, and welcome to DTF, Delirious Nomad. Armored Saint FTW!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #390 on: October 02, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »
Thank you TAC. Armored Saint was great until the death of David Prichard (imho).

Well, "Disconnected" had "Still Remains". One of their greatest songs. "So" kills it. "One" is on the plus side, too. Nothing wrong with the album for me.

Don't you all think the 2nd CD track "Falling Further" does sound a little too much like a Bon Jovi song ("I'd die for you" mixed with another one, that escapes me right now) *shrugs* ?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 01:53:07 PM by Delirious Nomad »

Offline Aquiesence

« Reply #391 on: October 02, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
Haha! That is the first thing that crossed my mind too when I first listened to it. "Falling Further" sounds too much like Bon Jovi  :rollin
"Close your eyes, what do you see ? Dreams in rhyme with reality"
my blog: https://eburnus.blogspot.com/

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #392 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
Thank you TAC. Armored Saint was great until the death of David Prichard (imho).

Well, "Disconnected" had "Still Remains". One of their greatest songs. "So" kills it. "One" is on the plus side, too. Nothing wrong with the album for me.

Don't you all think the 2nd CD track "Falling Further" does sound a little too much like a Bon Jovi song ("I'd die for you" mixed with another one, that escapes me right now) *shrugs* ?

Symbol Of Salvation is still their best album though, and I would've loved to have heard it with Dave. The last time I saw them with Dave, they were already a 5 piece with Jeff Duncan, and they actually played Reign Of Fire and Spineless.

OK, back to Fates..yes, Still Remains and Something For Nothing are two of my favorite songs, even though I would've edited some of the ambient stuff in the beginning of each. And One is indeed, awesome. But it's only 5 tracks not counting the useless intro/outro, with one long song, one not as long, and three shorter ones. That album has always felt incomplete to me despite have two of my favorite Alder era tracks on it. That's all I'm saying.

I believe you are thinking of Runaway.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:08:42 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #393 on: October 02, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
Disconnected's intro and outro are fucking brilliant!

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #394 on: October 02, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
Yeah, Runaway seems to be a good guess.

TAC, I see where you're coming from.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #395 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »
Yeah, Runaway seems to be a good guess.

TAC, I see where you're coming from.

And to tie this all together, I've posted it before I believe, but I have a pic with John Bush from 1989ish where I'm wearing a Bon Jovi shirt! :lol

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #396 on: October 02, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
 :laugh: In '89 is was still okay.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #397 on: October 02, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
Im' on the FW mailing list and there's an interesting tidbit regarding the album track Falling and Falling Further

Directly from Jim (posted by the webmaster)

I asked Jim about it and here is his reply:

Webmaster: "Question about the album... The extra tracks Firefly (extended) and Falling Further, were they trimmed (or for Falling, sort of reimagined) just for time or more for the flow of the album?"

Jim: "I guess a little of both. Falling acoustic came first. Then I extended it and the acoustic became more of an intro. We all really liked it that way, but like you mentioned, it's really different for us, so we were a little hesitant to put it on the main cd. We also missed the original acoustic version. So the compromise was to split it up and keep the acoustic on the main and FF as a bonus. It wasn't without many debates and hand wringing though.

There was always two versions of Firefly. I like the longer one better, but it just didn't feel right putting the extended one on the main disc and calling the shorter one a "bonus" track. Just seems like you should get something extra, not less, on a bonus cd."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »

I love Lighthouse. Such a dark fatmosphere. I hope at one point Jim Matheos releases an solo album, that doesn't rock more than Lighthouse. Something like a sonic ghost story.         

Wish granted, sort of...

His two solo albums are First impressions and Away with words

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2013, 05:27:54 PM »
Holy ! I own First Impressions, but completely missed the second one. If you don't mind, can you describe its style ?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #400 on: October 02, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
Away with words is very similar to First Impressions, but with Zonder on drums, which is very noticeable, in a good way I guess. I honestly prefer First Impressions, but If you like First Impressions, than you will like Away with words.

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #401 on: October 02, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
Posted by: goo-goo
« on: Today at 06:35:32 PM »

Im' on the FW mailing list and there's an interesting tidbit regarding the album track Falling and Falling Further

Directly from Jim (posted by the webmaster)

I asked Jim about it and here is his reply:

Webmaster: "Question about the album... The extra tracks Firefly (extended) and Falling Further, were they trimmed (or for Falling, sort of reimagined) just for time or more for the flow of the album?"

Jim: "I guess a little of both. Falling acoustic came first. Then I extended it and the acoustic became more of an intro. We all really liked it that way, but like you mentioned, it's really different for us, so we were a little hesitant to put it on the main cd. We also missed the original acoustic version. So the compromise was to split it up and keep the acoustic on the main and FF as a bonus. It wasn't without many debates and hand wringing though.

There was always two versions of Firefly. I like the longer one better, but it just didn't feel right putting the extended one on the main disc and calling the shorter one a "bonus" track. Just seems like you should get something extra, not less, on a bonus cd."

Interesting. I had a different scenario in my mind, but who am I, not to believe him.

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #402 on: October 02, 2013, 05:46:34 PM »
Zonder on drums. I'm sold and still wondering how that album slipped under my radar. Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:42:15 PM by Delirious Nomad »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: October 02, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »
Amazon delayed my order til the 9th.

Super pissed...but can't really cancel it either because it was an Amazon gift card my mother in law gave me. 

:censored

Mine came a day late, but it's here. 2 discs of FW glory.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #404 on: October 02, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »
I must say, this album is a real grower for me. It's a dark and cohesive sound that's really starting to click, especially today when I was in a terrible mood at work (due to co-workers on the rag all at the same time.) The album really got me through it in a big way and now I'm really starting to love it.  :tup
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »
Ray Alder on "singing not screaming":

San Antonio Metal Music Examiner: At what point in time did you scale back completely from the high vocal range that you were known for when you first joined the band on "No Exit", and how difficult was it to realize that a change in style was necessary?

Ray Alder: I think it was "A Pleasant Shade Of Gray" when I really came into my own and rearranged what I wanted to do with my voice. In the beginning, the whole thing with the high voice, that's what was going on, to me, in the '80s. I was also a young guy, I was in San Antonio and wanted to sing high, and as I got older, I realized I wanted to sing, not scream. And it was probably "A Pleasant Shade Of Gray" when it came to me. And unfortunately, my voice changed. I grew up. Or whatever you want to call it.

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-singer-explains-guitarist-frank-arestis-absence-from-the-road/#qDEzoXlTBgBp75os.99
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #406 on: October 03, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
I'd probably put this new album, FWX and APSoG in my top 3 Fates Warning albums.

Don't ask me to rank 'em, though!  :facepalm:   :lol   :metal

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
Away with words is very similar to First Impressions, but with Zonder on drums, which is very noticeable, in a good way I guess. I honestly prefer First Impressions, but If you like First Impressions, than you will like Away with words.

I'd offer a different take on this. Yes, one big difference is Zonder on drums; but equally massive is Michael Manring on bass.

First Impresions is nice, very pleasant. Away With Words is freaking spectacular.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: October 04, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
Album is growing on me like a fungus  :corn

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #409 on: October 04, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »
Ray Alder on "singing not screaming":

San Antonio Metal Music Examiner: At what point in time did you scale back completely from the high vocal range that you were known for when you first joined the band on "No Exit", and how difficult was it to realize that a change in style was necessary?

Ray Alder: I think it was "A Pleasant Shade Of Gray" when I really came into my own and rearranged what I wanted to do with my voice. In the beginning, the whole thing with the high voice, that's what was going on, to me, in the '80s. I was also a young guy, I was in San Antonio and wanted to sing high, and as I got older, I realized I wanted to sing, not scream. And it was probably "A Pleasant Shade Of Gray" when it came to me. And unfortunately, my voice changed. I grew up. Or whatever you want to call it.

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-singer-explains-guitarist-frank-arestis-absence-from-the-road/#qDEzoXlTBgBp75os.99

Well, that's all well and good but why completely ruin your voice so you can't do it? Having the range just makes your singing even better and more diverse, definitely more expressive when used correctly. No need to be No Exit level of screaming, but Parallels is great. Not to mention the whole performing older songs on tour thing...

Offline dongringo

« Reply #410 on: October 04, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
People make mistakes. At least he admits his smoking and drinking was a problem for his voice. I respect the honesty ....unlike Ego Tate.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #411 on: October 04, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »
Disconnected is a top 2 FW album.

...unless this new one tops it. haven't heard it yet, though.

Offline Delirious Nomad

« Reply #412 on: October 04, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
Album is growing on me like a fungus

Doesn't it ?
But if there is one band I have filed under growing stuff, it's Fates Warning.
For me it was "One" leaving me cold the first time.
On the second or third spin, I got it and was like :o :metal (shockrocked ?)
Same with the chorus of Into The Black.   
Sometimes we all need our attention directed to something previously unappreciated.
I'd offer Kneel And Obey 2.47/3.23 & And Yet It Moves 5.58: facehugging kind of riffs.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: October 07, 2013, 08:57:22 AM »
I've been quiet on commenting on this album, because everyone seems head over heels for it and it still hadn't grabbed me.  So I was silently giving it time.  It's been a full week, and I'm still not eating it up like everyone else, for some reason.  There are great moments -- "FireFly," "I Am," and "Into the Black" are top-notch tunes.  "One Thousand Fires" is also solid.  "And Yet It Moves" feels a little overhyped to me, right now.  Overall, I feel like the album is lacking some spark or juice.  I know I'm in the minority.  It feels more like an Engine (Ray Alder's side project from 10 or so years ago) album to me -- which is not a bad thing.  Engine had some solid tracks and albums, but it lacked the magic of a FW disc.  I feel like this disc is a tad dry sounding as well, and I miss some of the keys and sound effects that FW had incorporated into its three previous albums dating back to APSOG.  I find myself craving the Dream Theater album when I'm listening to the new FW, and I'll usually switch over before long to listen to "The Bigger Picture" or "Surrender to Reason."  I also don't think it's as good as the Arch/Matheos album from 2011 or any of the past four albums by Redemption (Ray's side project from the past 10 years).  In the FW catalog, it's falling in the middle for me, behind APSOG, Disconnected, Parallels and Inside Out.  I'm still giving it time, and I'm eagerly awaiting the moment when the switch goes off for me, but it hasn't happened yet.  I'm sure it will happen, so I have something to look forward to when it does.  FW albums usually take a while to click for me.   
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:18:19 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Awaken

« Reply #414 on: October 07, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »
I'm kind of in the same boat as Mebert78 in that this hasn't blown me away the way I had hoped it would.  I heard 'Into the Black', 'Firefly' and 'I Am' before release and was really psyched to hear the rest.  Unfortunately, those three remain the highlights of this effort for me.  'And yet it moves' is growing on me and 'Falling' is great.  The rest still isn't clicking though. 

I still cannot wait to see them in November, though. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #415 on: October 07, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »
I've had the album for two months now since I needed it to edit Nick's review, so I've had more time to digest this album than most people.  It's a nice album and has some great stuff, but I don't know if I can honestly say it's in their top 5.  Parallels, Disconnected, APSoG, and Perfect Symmetry are a solid 1-2-3-4.  FWX makes a strong case for #5.  That's pretty much the point I've been at for about a month, but being #6 is no shame IMO.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #416 on: October 07, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
I've never listened to Fates Warning before really. I have been aware of them and know many people especially around here have mentioned them in Top50 album threads etc. For some unknown reason I've never dug into them. I just listened to "Firefly" and "I Am" from the new album and liked what I heard.

I noticed people mentioning screaming as a vocal style change so could be that's what had thrown me in the past, but I can't recall right off and my tastes have definitely become attune to different styled vocals over the last several years.  Recommendations?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #417 on: October 07, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »
If anything this album has grown on me over time. It's not that I like my favorites any more, but the ones I wasn't overly fond of have grown on me, especially Into the Black.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline dongringo

« Reply #418 on: October 07, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
I agree, this one's a grower. I've listened straight through on headphones with no distractions and it just keeps getting better...I'm not afraid to say I love this album...as a whole. Some individual tracks wouldn't be as good to me without the album context. All in all, great record! Love the heaviness, something we haven't had in a while.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #419 on: October 08, 2013, 03:11:31 AM »
I've never listened to Fates Warning before really. I have been aware of them and know many people especially around here have mentioned them in Top50 album threads etc. For some unknown reason I've never dug into them. I just listened to "Firefly" and "I Am" from the new album and liked what I heard.

I noticed people mentioning screaming as a vocal style change so could be that's what had thrown me in the past, but I can't recall right off and my tastes have definitely become attune to different styled vocals over the last several years.  Recommendations?

A lot would depend on your individual tastes. It's hard to give a recommendation to someone without knowing where they're coming from. Having said that, start with A Pleasant Shade of Gray and move outward from there is usually the best place to start in my opinion.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again