Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 312056 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around
« Reply #2695 on: May 22, 2023, 12:26:41 PM »
Rockin FWX  :metal :metal

That’s an oxymoron.  ;D

You stop that. Just because you're older than dirt, doesn't mean that records like Promised Land and FWX aren't rockin'. :metal Now, you go back to your wheelchair and roll in for arts and crafts, with the other old fogeys, TAC.  :lol

Ha ha. Love ya, Tim.

;D
 :heart
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2696 on: May 23, 2023, 12:17:17 AM »
I hope it's a rare thing but I really didn't like seeing Ray with a cigarette in one of those interviews. Not that it's any of my business, but still.

Me either. But it's not a rare thing. He continues to smoke, or at least did in 2019 when Fates was touring.

I knew he was smoking in the Disconnected/FWX era but I think I remember him saying in an interview that he had quit, etc. I mean, can't argue with the results as he sounds amazing, but things like that can have a more sudden effect with ageing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2697 on: May 23, 2023, 08:00:12 AM »
I think he did quit for a time. but at least as of 2022, when we saw videos for A to Z, he was smoking. I think it has affected him a bit. Even in 2019, I could hear a difference. Still awesome, but there was this gravelly quality that wasn't there earlier (and I had seen a few shows on both the 2018 and 2019 tours).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2698 on: May 23, 2023, 09:42:06 AM »
I think he did quit for a time. but at least as of 2022, when we saw videos for A to Z, he was smoking. I think it has affected him a bit. Even in 2019, I could hear a difference. Still awesome, but there was this gravelly quality that wasn't there earlier (and I had seen a few shows on both the 2018 and 2019 tours).

First time I saw FW (November 1989), Ray didn't have a great show.  We talked with the guys in the parking lot afterwards, and Ray was smoking, and we understood why he struggled.  You simply cannot abuse your instrument like that and expect to perform at the level required to perform early FW material.  When I saw them at the Los Angeles Parallels reunion show and on the DIADL tour in 2013, he was fantastic.  He had altered some of the melody lines to accommodate his aging voice, but it was pretty clear he wasn't smoking at that time.  It's really too bad.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2699 on: May 23, 2023, 10:58:24 AM »
Yeah, I saw the DIADL tour in San Fran (Frank Aresti came out and played on "Still Remains" instead of Mike Abdow), and Ray was god-like. No smoking, no nothing as far as I could tell (and I was around them all pre- and post-show). And while Ray still sounded great in 2018 and 2019, I absolutely saw him puffing away in 2019. And the 2018 shows were just as good as 2013, the 2019 tour...his voice had that gravelly quality I mentioned, and I just chalked it up to the cigs. He also laughed in LA because he ate pizza stupidly before the show and remarked during the show that singers should never have dairy before singing. LOL.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2700 on: May 23, 2023, 12:32:43 PM »
I'm pissed at myself for missing the TOF shows near me.

A singer smoking is akin to a guitarist or bassist leaving his/her instrument outside in the rain.

And duh as to dairy before singing!   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2701 on: May 23, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »
I'm pissed at myself for missing the TOF shows near me.

Me too. Could have met ya. I was at all the shows in your area during the 2018 and 2019 tours.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2702 on: June 23, 2023, 01:24:02 AM »
I've been on a huge Ray Alder / FW wave ever since the first single from Alder's solo album. I just love these guys, every time I come back to them, the music remains fresh and I like it more than before. And I had forgotten about their last live album on the ToF tour. It's such a strong performance, especially on songs like Still Remains, some parts of the live version I prefer to the original even.

So yeah, if anyone had forgotten about the live album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHZnF3eFjU

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2703 on: June 23, 2023, 05:15:43 AM »
Every time I see this thread bumped I get excited at the prospect that they decided to tour . . . . . .  :censored

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2704 on: June 23, 2023, 08:23:55 AM »
I've been on a huge Ray Alder / FW wave ever since the first single from Alder's solo album. I just love these guys, every time I come back to them, the music remains fresh and I like it more than before. And I had forgotten about their last live album on the ToF tour. It's such a strong performance, especially on songs like Still Remains, some parts of the live version I prefer to the original even.

So yeah, if anyone had forgotten about the live album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgHZnF3eFjU

Live Over Europe has become probably my most listened to live album. Sure, Operation: LiVEcrime will always be my #1, but it's just a single disc. Live Scenes from NY by DT is great too. But LoE gives people a taste of ALMOST everything Fates played on the entirety of the tour (they left out One Thousand Fires and A Handful of Doubt). But other than that, every track played on tour is represented. It's just so good. And from what I understand, no overdubbing. They simply went through and chose the best performances, and that was it. That's how a live album SHOULD be done.

Big thumbs up to Jim, Ray, Joey, Bobby and Mike and their crew (I met many of them over the course of the North American tours). Great guys, who care. And Fates plays EVERY show like there are 10,000 people there. I saw them headline at this tiny bar on the Theories tour. Couldn't have been more than 100 people there. They played their full set and it was an incredible performance. They played with less than half their setup, the stage was that tiny, and they were all crammed together like a lounge act. But it didn't matter. When I listen to Live Over Europe, it reminds me of just how professional they all are, and how lucky I (and we all are) that they made such great music and toured so extensively for ToF.

Fates Forever!

:metal

Online nick_z

« Reply #2705 on: June 23, 2023, 08:30:27 AM »

Live Over Europe has become probably my most listened to live album. Sure, Operation: LiVEcrime will always be my #1, but it's just a single disc. Live Scenes from NY by DT is great too. But LoE gives people a taste of ALMOST everything Fates played on the entirety of the tour (they left out One Thousand Fires and A Handful of Doubt). But other than that, every track played on tour is represented. It's just so good. And from what I understand, no overdubbing. They simply went through and chose the best performances, and that was it. That's how a live album SHOULD be done.

Big thumbs up to Jim, Ray, Joey, Bobby and Mike and their crew (I met many of them over the course of the North American tours). Great guys, who care. And Fates plays EVERY show like there are 10,000 people there. I saw them headline at this tiny bar on the Theories tour. Couldn't have been more than 100 people there. They played their full set and it was an incredible performance. They played with less than half their setup, the stage was that tiny, and they were all crammed together like a lounge act. But it didn't matter. When I listen to Live Over Europe, it reminds me of just how professional they all are, and how lucky I (and we all are) that they made such great music and toured so extensively for ToF.

Fates Forever!

:metal

Very well put  :tup :tup

Absolutely love Live Over Europe. The performances come at you with such punch and energy, and the "setlist" (I should say song selection) is fantastic.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2706 on: July 10, 2023, 09:06:53 PM »
Disconnected and FWX reissues (including vinyl)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuhyKEJpmzO/
https://www.facebook.com/FatesWarning/videos/1554359848300954/
https://www.metalblade.com/fateswarning/

@metalbladerecords has reissued two classic albums from progressive metal act FATES WARNING!

“Disconnected”, which was originally released in 2000 and “FWX”, which was originally released in 2004, have both been remastered for these reissues by Alan Douches and contain additional bonus tracks. Each album is available on CD, digitally, on all streaming platforms, and as a double LP in different variants, which can be seen and ordered at www.metalblade.com/fateswarning (link in our bio)

Head on over to the Metal Blade Records YouTube channel to watch two, brand new visualizers! 🤘

#Metal #HeavyMetal #ProgMetal #ProgressiveMetal #MetalBladeRecords #MetalHeads #FatesWarning @joey_vera @bobby_jarzombek @rayalderofficial @michael_abdow #JimMatheos #MichaelAbdow #RayAlder #JoeyVera #BobbyJarzombek

https://www.metalblade.com/fateswarning/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 06:52:29 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2707 on: July 11, 2023, 03:43:53 AM »
These record label websites are obnoxsious, it's so hard to find the thing you want and what it includes. But as for the remaster, is it just me or is there barely no difference? The new ones seem a bit louder and brighter but not much more than that?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2708 on: July 11, 2023, 08:25:07 AM »
I had to order from Napalm Records in Germany. Metal Blade had no pre-orders. They literally got them up for sale either the day the records were supposed to be released, or after. Not sure what's going on there. I had stuff pre-ordered on Amazon, and it got all delayed and backordered.

Got a notification yesterday my LPs are on the way from Germany. Hopefully it is expressed and will be here soon.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2709 on: July 11, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »
What is the point of these re-issues?  Putting aside that they're two of my bottom three FW albums, was there something wrong with the original releases?  This doesn't seem to be a continuation of the anniversary editions that stopped with APSOG.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2710 on: July 11, 2023, 09:23:55 AM »
What is the point of these re-issues?  Putting aside that they're two of my bottom three FW albums, was there something wrong with the original releases?  This doesn't seem to be a continuation of the anniversary editions that stopped with APSOG.

I presume the vinyl component is the draw here.

For me, I'm thinking hard about Disconnected.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2711 on: July 11, 2023, 10:45:06 AM »

If memory serves, Disconnected was never available on vinyl, and FWX was a very minor run (and that original press is an expensive collector's items). So for me, these are no-brainer pick-ups.

MB has been doing this with FW albums on the regular. Now that they are through FWX, I am hoping (praying) they do an audio release of Live in Athens on vinyl and CD. But after that DIADL was released in 2013, and probably doesn't need a reissue (which was on Inside out anyway). But yeah, just one more, at least for me. Oh, and it'd be nice to have Still Life on vinyl too. Hopefully MB does that one.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2712 on: July 11, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »

If memory serves, Disconnected was never available on vinyl, and FWX was a very minor run (and that original press is an expensive collector's items). So for me, these are no-brainer pick-ups.

MB has been doing this with FW albums on the regular. Now that they are through FWX, I am hoping (praying) they do an audio release of Live in Athens on vinyl and CD. But after that DIADL was released in 2013, and probably doesn't need a reissue (which was on Inside out anyway). But yeah, just one more, at least for me. Oh, and it'd be nice to have Still Life on vinyl too. Hopefully MB does that one.

Disconnected was also released on vinyl back in the day with Massacre Records with the white cover. I have a copy of that one :) I haven't been able to snag a copy of the origin FWX pressing though.

Darkness and ToF were reissued by Back on Vinyl last year I believe with the Darkness vinyl being clear and ToF was orange or red.

Would love Live in Athens as a CD and/or vinyl. It's one of my all time favorite live recordings.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: July 11, 2023, 11:17:18 AM »

Disconnected was also released on vinyl back in the day with Massacre Records with the white cover. I have a copy of that one :) I haven't been able to snag a copy of the origin FWX pressing though.

I didn't realize that about Disconnected. Thanks!

Darkness and ToF were reissued by Back on Vinyl last year I believe with the Darkness vinyl being clear and ToF was orange or red.

See, that makes no sense to me. Why reissue them so soon. The original pressings are still out there, aren't they? And fairly affordable? I'm not sure, I bought the original pressings (various versions when they first were released in 2013/2016, respectively).

Would love Live in Athens as a CD and/or vinyl. It's one of my all time favorite live recordings.

It's SO good. So much energy in that room. And having Nick on drums for that gave everything a different feel. Really enjoy going back to that one. A buddy of mine ripped the audio into a giant .wav file and broke it up, but I'm too lazy to do that. LOL

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2714 on: July 11, 2023, 12:33:15 PM »
So it's nothing more than a vinyl release (cough...cough...scam...cough)?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2715 on: July 11, 2023, 12:44:29 PM »

A couple bonus tracks, but yes. Not a scam though for those of us that couldn't acquire the records on vinyl previously. FWX was so limited that very few are out there, and none these days are very affordable. Same for Disconnected. So I wouldn't label it a scam at all, at least on the vinyl. Not sure why the CD reissues are necessary though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2716 on: July 11, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »

A couple bonus tracks, but yes. Not a scam though for those of us that couldn't acquire the records on vinyl previously. FWX was so limited that very few are out there, and none these days are very affordable. Same for Disconnected. So I wouldn't label it a scam at all, at least on the vinyl. Not sure why the CD reissues are necessary though.

That's my commentary on the vinyl resurgence in general.   :)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: July 11, 2023, 03:41:52 PM »
It's funny, when the whole resurgence thing began, I was on board. I had a bunch of old vinyl. But when I saw the price of NEW vinyl, I quickly changed my tune. It comes down to this for me:

If it is one of my favorite records and I don't have it on vinyl, I pick it up. If it's one of the bands I am a completist of (Fates Warning, Alter Bridge, a couple others), it gets bought. But in general, I'm just a CD guy. And I still maintain that is the absolute best format for music. Pristine sound, still physical media, not too large, plenty of room for art and liner notes.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2718 on: July 11, 2023, 04:36:32 PM »
It's funny, when the whole resurgence thing began, I was on board. I had a bunch of old vinyl. But when I saw the price of NEW vinyl, I quickly changed my tune. It comes down to this for me:

If it is one of my favorite records and I don't have it on vinyl, I pick it up. If it's one of the bands I am a completist of (Fates Warning, Alter Bridge, a couple others), it gets bought. But in general, I'm just a CD guy. And I still maintain that is the absolute best format for music. Pristine sound, still physical media, not too large, plenty of room for art and liner notes.

It was somewhere around 1987 that I first became acquainted with someone who had a CD player.  I didn't want to convert from vinyl to CD.  It was partly because I didn't want to spend money to buy albums again.  Also, I recall a lot of CD players not having the ability to fast forward or rewind within a song (like if I was learning a particular part of a song, I'd want to rewind over and over).  Eventually, I got tired of dealing with skipping and crackling.  Over the next 10 years, I slowly replaced vinyl records with CDs.  Shortly before starting law school, I trashed the remaining vinyl that I hadn't replaced (e.g., my Dokken and Twisted Sister albums) and my record player.  And I have zero interest in going backward.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2719 on: July 11, 2023, 04:41:49 PM »
I actually have all of my albums, but I gave all my cassettes away a long time ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2720 on: July 12, 2023, 09:50:32 AM »

I will DIE on the hill that Blu-Ray/DVD-A is actually the best format. It literally has everything a CD has and more: Better sound, physical, same size, can be packaged with liner notes or have it incorporated into the video presentation.

But in one of the greatest injustices in music in my lifetime just as that was gaining a little bit of steam the train got derailed by the far inferior vinyl resurgence.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2721 on: July 12, 2023, 11:16:32 AM »

I will DIE on the hill that Blu-Ray/DVD-A is actually the best format. It literally has everything a CD has and more: Better sound, physical, same size, can be packaged with liner notes or have it incorporated into the video presentation.

But in one of the greatest injustices in music in my lifetime just as that was gaining a little bit of steam the train got derailed by the far inferior vinyl resurgence.

Nick, I'd die on that hill with you. I should have probably said that CD is the best "popular" format of music. Sadly, Blu-Ray/DVD-A just never caught on for audio purposes. I have several, and the sound quality is absolutely amazing.

What's sad is that car audio systems now have done away with physical media. I have a very high end audio system in my car, and I remember just sighing when I had to connect my iPod to it. With the huge screens, incredible speaker set up, and great sound, I'd love to pop in a DVD-A, and crank it.

But, we have what we have. And CD will make a resurgence at some point, and those of us wise enough to hold on to them will be thankful. LPs will die out again. It really goes against the more minimalist nature of the younger generations. Once they start to move and realize how annoying it is to have huge vinyl collections and be on the move, that will die out, and CD will pick back up again because they sound great. I have faith.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2722 on: July 13, 2023, 05:56:40 AM »
I don't think the CD will return in the same way as vinyl.  Sure a large LP collection can prove be cumbersome but the large majority will forge on regardless. 

But so far as the return of the CD, sure it will.  But CDs don't have quite the same retro aesthetic appeal going for them like vinyl does, and the sound of CD perfection is the opposite of the old sound of the needle hitting plastic, clearly another big appeal. 

So no, doubt CDs will make as significant a comeback although do of course hope I'm wrong, because if you're right, I like many folks here, could be sitting on some tasty pocket money ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2723 on: July 13, 2023, 08:26:43 AM »
You're probably right that it won't return in the same way. But it is the perfect middle ground between vinyl and digital, that's why I think there will be a shift going back to that medium to a degree moving forward.

Funny about sitting on pocket money. I sold off a lot of CDs about 15 years ago. Didn't take, and I was able to rebuy all that I wanted to rebuy. And the collection has expanded since then, in the thousands. But I don't know, even now, as I approach 50, I wouldn't want to part with them. Maybe when I'm 70 and find myself not really caring about the odd release from some nu metal band I found interesting 30 years prior. But once I retire in another 12 years or so, and my listening habits inevitably shift (meaning how I listen, not if), it'll be interesting.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2724 on: July 13, 2023, 03:53:08 PM »
Yeah I get that.   Have purged bundles in the past but being just past the 50 mark feel more connected to the collection than ever. 

Thankfully managed to reinvest in vinyl a few years before its big comeback and was able to get most of what I'd gotten rid of way back when (would cost me a fortune to do it all again now) and have also been able to plug most holes in the CD collection. Grateful to have been able do that too.

Anyway yeah completely get it and while collection isn't the quantity of some but the personally the quality (IMO) sentimental value far exceeds the money value for me personally anyway.

So same, no desire to rid of them so unless personal circumstances force that to change I hope to hold on to them for as long as life will permits  ;D

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2725 on: January 12, 2024, 04:41:39 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this apologies if should be elsewhere...

Ray and Matheos back with 'North Sea Echoes'

First single...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvYfsvcjjPo&t=59s

Not sure if this will be exclusively a guitar and vocal only album as such or perhaps just this one song but whatever the case damn!  The music and vocal melodies here are typically stunning from these two.

Album drops sometime in February :metal

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2726 on: January 12, 2024, 06:53:28 AM »
Liked it. I will pretend this is a more Fatesy OSI.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2727 on: January 12, 2024, 11:03:57 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this apologies if should be elsewhere...

Ray and Matheos back with 'North Sea Echoes'

First single...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvYfsvcjjPo&t=59s

Not sure if this will be exclusively a guitar and vocal only album as such or perhaps just this one song but whatever the case damn!  The music and vocal melodies here are typically stunning from these two.

Album drops sometime in February :metal

Press release said they tapped the Puscifer drummer for the drums in this album. Not sure how many songs will feature drums though.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2728 on: January 12, 2024, 11:40:18 AM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2729 on: January 12, 2024, 01:50:29 PM »
Hard to listen to that with the static-y keyboard (?) patch in the background, but Ray sounded great.