Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 311874 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around
« Reply #2485 on: April 27, 2022, 05:59:15 AM »
Expect I'm in the minority here but to this day I think their Live In Athens show/DVD is still their best \m/

Love it! I extracted the audio and I play it a few times a year.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2486 on: April 27, 2022, 12:12:24 PM »
As far as Chris's dive into the albums, I see no reason not to default to going chronologically.  Brocken might be a bit of a slog, but things change pretty quickly (even though it's the same lineup on Spectre).  The addition of Frank Aresti on Guardian shows a huge leap, and No Exit with Ray was spot on for 1988 (the heyday of Operation: Mindcrime).
Chronologically seems like a good way to go.  If he hates Arch's voice, certainly he should skip ahead before giving up on the band, but otherwise, I like the chronological approach.

I would say to listen to The Apparition and Guardian.  If Arch's voice prevents someone from liking those songs, then just skip ahead to No Exit.  Otherwise, go chronologically.  You wouldn't want to bail after Brocken and miss all the great stuff on Spectre and ATG.

That came out in 2007? Huh…my bad. I thought it came out on the last anniversary of the album. Guess I was mistaken.

If I hadn't looked it up, I'd have said it was much more recent than that also.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2487 on: April 27, 2022, 06:06:57 PM »
You know, this thread has thrown me into another Fate's kick.

Like others have mentioned, FW are one of those bands that have a few defined eras.

My first album was Parallels, and while I worked my way back to the Arch albums, I only consider myself a fan of the Alder albums.

To that point, it wasn't until APSOG that Fate's became one of my 'all-time' bands, and it's that moody, prog-tinged era (APSOG forward) that I consider their peak. Obviously, mileage varies, but for my money, the band has written a handful of Prog classics (Disconnected being a masterpiece in my book).

With all that said, I gave Long Day Good Night an umpteenth listen this morning during my commute. Now that it's been a couple of years, where is everyone sitting with this one?

Personally, I have struggled to connect with the record. While there's a couple of standout tracks ("Shuttered World," "The Way Home," and "The Longest Shadow of the Day" come to mind), I feel incredibly 'meh' about the rest of the record. I enjoy the variety, but there's simply no 'instant classics' like "The Light and Shade of Things" to be found. I'm also a bit down on the mix, which feels like a step back compared to Theories of Flight.

So, yeah, I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2488 on: April 27, 2022, 06:32:27 PM »
Expect I'm in the minority here but to this day I think their Live In Athens show/DVD is still their best \m/

The filming is horrible.  Great show and set though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2489 on: April 27, 2022, 06:58:02 PM »
You know, this thread has thrown me into another Fate's kick.

Like others have mentioned, FW are one of those bands that have a few defined eras.

My first album was Parallels, and while I worked my way back to the Arch albums, I only consider myself a fan of the Alder albums.

To that point, it wasn't until APSOG that Fate's became one of my 'all-time' bands, and it's that moody, prog-tinged era (APSOG forward) that I consider their peak. Obviously, mileage varies, but for my money, the band has written a handful of Prog classics (Disconnected being a masterpiece in my book).

With all that said, I gave Long Day Good Night an umpteenth listen this morning during my commute. Now that it's been a couple of years, where is everyone sitting with this one?

Personally, I have struggled to connect with the record. While there's a couple of standout tracks ("Shuttered World," "The Way Home," and "The Longest Shadow of the Day" come to mind), I feel incredibly 'meh' about the rest of the record. I enjoy the variety, but there's simply no 'instant classics' like "The Light and Shade of Things" to be found. I'm also a bit down on the mix, which feels like a step back compared to Theories of Flight.

So, yeah, I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say.

I still have it in my music player and some of the tracks come up on shuffle from Time to Time, but I feel the same way. I am really having a difficult time finding any standout tracks from the album.

There are two or three that I really enjoy, but the rest of it is just really bland to me. It reminds me of FWX in that way. That’s another album where I can think of three or four songs that I really enjoy and the rest of it is just…there.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2490 on: April 27, 2022, 08:29:30 PM »
I still have it in my music player and some of the tracks come up on shuffle from Time to Time, but I feel the same way. I am really having a difficult time finding any standout tracks from the album.

Same.  I listen to it, and there's nothing I feel like skipping, but nothing has truly connected with me.

Of course, I felt the same way about TOF for a couple years, and then it just clicked, so there's always hope.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2491 on: April 28, 2022, 06:06:20 PM »
I LIKE Long Day Goodnight. That said, it doesn't resonate as well as Theories of Flight. I think when Ray said that they were concerned they couldn't do better than Theories of Flight and then ultimately decided they could, that was the red flag. Because for me, ToF would have been the record to go out on, if they are indeed finished as a recording unit. Again, not saying LDG isn't good, it is. But it's kind of like how there was Parallels, and then there was Inside Out. IO was/is good with some damn good songs. But it's in the same vein (albeit darker to a degree) as Parallels, and Parallels was better. Same goes for ToF/LDG for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2492 on: April 28, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »
I LIKE Long Day Goodnight. That said, it doesn't resonate as well as Theories of Flight. I think when Ray said that they were concerned they couldn't do better than Theories of Flight and then ultimately decided they could, that was the red flag. Because for me, ToF would have been the record to go out on, if they are indeed finished as a recording unit. Again, not saying LDG isn't good, it is. But it's kind of like how there was Parallels, and then there was Inside Out. IO was/is good with some damn good songs. But it's in the same vein (albeit darker to a degree) as Parallels, and Parallels was better. Same goes for ToF/LDG for me.

This perfectly sums up my thoughts...very apt comparison.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: April 28, 2022, 07:16:44 PM »
Just remember that the 1st album is very much like the first Rush album. A bunch of kids imitating their heroes who haven’t found their sound yet, but stumbled upon one or two gems in the process.

Having listened to the first album today, this is a pretty apt description. The talent, the energy, the potential, it's all there. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2494 on: April 28, 2022, 08:21:32 PM »
Just remember that the 1st album is very much like the first Rush album. A bunch of kids imitating their heroes who haven’t found their sound yet, but stumbled upon one or two gems in the process.

Having listened to the first album today, this is a pretty apt description. The talent, the energy, the potential, it's all there.

That album gets some flak, but Damnation is a fantastic song. I have some affection for Misfit and Kiss of Death as well.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: April 28, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »
Hard to evaluate it 30 years on with a slew of subsequent albums, but it seems like a solid debut effort. I just listened to a couple songs from the second album. Sounds like the vocalist is learning how to, and how not to, use his voice to best suit the music.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2496 on: April 28, 2022, 09:57:12 PM »
Hard to evaluate it 30 years on with a slew of subsequent albums, but it seems like a solid debut effort. I just listened to a couple songs from the second album. Sounds like the vocalist is learning how to, and how not to, use his voice to best suit the music.

That one took awhile. Traveler in Time was jarring to me for literally years, but now it’s a highlight for me.

I bought the album when it came out after hearing The Apparition on “The Best of Metal Blade” compilation. I loved Orphan Gypsy, The Apparition, and Kyrie Eleison straight away. The rest was a bit too complex for a mind of 15 that was still trying to process early thrash and metal. Some of the time changes were interesting, but difficult to process. After falling in love with Awaken the Guardian (and spending a year or two getting used to odd time signatures) I revisited this album and it was elevated from “pretty good” to “absolutely fantastic”.  These days, TIT and Epitaph (two songs I had difficulty with at first) are my top two.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2497 on: April 29, 2022, 09:45:17 AM »

That one took awhile. Traveler in Time was jarring to me for literally years, but now it’s a highlight for me.

I bought the album when it came out after hearing The Apparition on “The Best of Metal Blade” compilation. I loved Orphan Gypsy, The Apparition, and Kyrie Eleison straight away. The rest was a bit too complex for a mind of 15 that was still trying to process early thrash and metal. Some of the time changes were interesting, but difficult to process. After falling in love with Awaken the Guardian (and spending a year or two getting used to odd time signatures) I revisited this album and it was elevated from “pretty good” to “absolutely fantastic”.  These days, TIT and Epitaph (two songs I had difficulty with at first) are my top two.

Spectre was the first Arch album I bought, after first having heard No Exit.  Traveler in Time absolutely blew me away from the first notes.  It's still my favorite Arch era song.  I was 21 and was looking for stuff with odd times, and Traveler laid that on me right from the start (along with the use of orchestral percussion, which, at that point, I'd really only heard from Rush and Yes).  For me, the highlights on TSW are Traveler, Apparition and Epitaph.  Kyrie is really the only song that has never clicked for me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: April 29, 2022, 09:09:18 PM »
Made it through the first three albums. I had a recollection of disliking Arch's vocals but honestly they never really detracted from my enjoyment at all. Not really my thing, but not offensive in any way.

No Exit was a nice listen, felt like they were turning a corner, but still finding their way maybe? Perfect Symmetry is the first album where I got the sense everything was coming together.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2499 on: April 30, 2022, 12:00:50 AM »
After being introduced with TSW, and then becoming a complete fan boy with ATG, I wasn’t sure what to expect from this new lead singer with NE. Of course, I loved it. And by now I was a complete freak for this band. I even remember that they were scheduled to play a bar not too far from where I lived. But I was under 21. So I called the bar to ask if I could wait outside and listen to the show from outside the venue. But then I discovered that the local music rag had printed the wrong day and I had already missed the show.

Anyway, I remember that several months before its release, I received a pre-release cassette of 4 songs from the upcoming PS album. (Off the top of my head, I can’t remember how I got my hands on it, but I did.

The cassette had the same tracks on both sides. Through Different Eyes, Static Acts, At Fates Hands, and Chasing Time (which, on the cassette, contained the intro to Nothing Left to Say, but that wasn’t listed, so I thought that section of music was some kind of continuation of Chasing Time)

I really hated Through Different Eyes at first, because on first listen it was such a drastic change from their previous sound that I thought they must be selling out and going for a radio single. But the other tracks (especially AFH) sucked me in and pretty soon I was addicted to that cassette.  By the time the album came out, I was already a maniac for half the album, and to this day it remains my favorite album from the classic lineup.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: May 02, 2022, 08:32:04 PM »
Enjoying Parallels. Alder's voice is settling in nicely with the music. It was a long, rough day, and this was a pleasant listen in the middle of it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2501 on: May 02, 2022, 08:42:04 PM »
Enjoying Parallels. Alder's voice is settling in nicely with the music. It was a long, rough day, and this was a pleasant listen in the middle of it.

Time has been extremely kind to Parallels. It’s such a beautiful sounding album. It’s so lush! Terry Brown did a fantastic job.

Always loved Life in Still Water and The Eleventh Hour. The rest took a little time. But I quite enjoy the album now. The Road Goes On Forever in particular was one that I really did not like at first and now I think it’s absolutely brilliant. Love that song.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2502 on: May 02, 2022, 11:08:23 PM »
Fates Warning are my brother's favorite band. He got into them at the same time as I got into DT, and we would always sort of compare them against each other. They were kind of his thing and never really clicked with me, even though I do like a lot of the songs. Monument is a great track. I always liked Eye to Eye a lot. The Eleventh Hour is another good one. Point of View is good. Of course I hated Arch and he loved him, so we just sort of agreed to disagree. Guardian is a pretty cool track though. Parallels and Inside Out are the two albums that suited my taste the best, but I haven't listened to any of those albums in ages. From time to time I think "I should buy those two albums at least," but the only FW release I own is Still Life (and A Pleasant Shade of Gray never clicked for me at all). Jim Matheos does have a distinct style that carries across all of his projects, and I kind of felt that from APSOG on the band sounded really samey, but I haven't given the last couple releases a good listen.

And just found them from the same seller on Discogs for $10 total, so went ahead and finally picked up Parallels and Inside Out.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 11:21:19 PM by HOF »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2503 on: May 02, 2022, 11:14:50 PM »
Fates Warning are my brother's favorite band. He got into them at the same time as I got into DT, and we would always sort of compare them against each other. They were kind of his thing and never really clicked with me, even though I do like a lot of the songs. Monument is a great track. I always liked Eye to Eye a lot. The Eleventh Hour is another good one. Point of View is good. Of course I hated Arch and he loved him, so we just sort of agreed to disagree. Guardian is a pretty cool track though. Parallels and Inside Out are the two albums that suited my taste the best, but I haven't listened to any of those albums in ages. From time to time I think "I should buy those two albums at least," but the only FW release I own is Still Life (and A Pleasant Shade of Gray never clicked for me at all). Jim Matheos does have a distinct style that carries across all of his projects, and I kind of felt that from APSOG on the band sounded really samey, but I haven't given the last couple releases a good listen.

Theories of Flight. SERIOUSLY!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #2504 on: May 02, 2022, 11:26:33 PM »

I'll have to give it a whirl. I don't listen to this type of music very much anymore unless there is a nostalgia factor. It's hard for me to get into something new in this style. Maybe revising Parallels and Inside Out will motivate me.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2505 on: May 03, 2022, 06:30:27 AM »

Time has been extremely kind to Parallels. It’s such a beautiful sounding album. It’s so lush! Terry Brown did a fantastic job.

Always loved Life in Still Water and The Eleventh Hour. The rest took a little time. But I quite enjoy the album now. The Road Goes On Forever in particular was one that I really did not like at first and now I think it’s absolutely brilliant. Love that song.

Lush is absolutely the perfect word to describe Parallels' sound. One of my favorite productions (for this genre, of course). And yes, The Road Goes On Forever is a nice way to close the album. Very chill song (I love the "And here we are again, the doors close behind us..." part, with the subtle guitar melody popping up...wish they had that a little longer)

but I haven't given the last couple releases a good listen.

I concur  :)

Fantastic late-career highlight

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2506 on: May 03, 2022, 06:38:49 AM »

Lush is absolutely the perfect word to describe Parallels' sound. One of my favorite productions (for this genre, of course). And yes, The Road Goes On Forever is a nice way to close the album. Very chill song (I love the "And here we are again, the doors close behind us..." part, with the subtle guitar melody popping up...wish they had that a little longer)

but I haven't given the last couple releases a good listen.

I concur  :)

Fantastic late-career highlight

Agree with all the above.

I always felt We Only Say Goodbye would've made for a better closer but over time, once the album had sunk in completely yes The Road Goes On Forever is just a perfect ending to the the album 🤘

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2507 on: May 03, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »
The Road Goes on Forever bookends well with Leave the Past Behind, but I think Don't Follow Me would have been the best album closer.  We Only Say Goodbye is the song on that album I enjoy least.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: May 03, 2022, 08:35:21 PM »
The Road Goes on Forever bookends well with Leave the Past Behind, but I think Don't Follow Me would have been the best album closer.  We Only Say Goodbye is the song on that album I enjoy least.

Hmmm....can't agree with that.

WOSG is one of my favs, it's so simple and emotional.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2509 on: May 03, 2022, 08:48:27 PM »
We Only Say Goodbye is tremendous. Those lyrics are the truth. Ray kills on it too.

Probably my favorite Fates song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2510 on: May 03, 2022, 09:02:59 PM »
We Only Say Goodbye is tremendous. Those lyrics are the truth. Ray kills on it too.

Wow, but I can get that.  Those lyrics have touched me lately too in certain circumstances, they are brilliant and true, like you said.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2511 on: May 03, 2022, 09:05:40 PM »

Wow, but I can get that.  Those lyrics have touched me lately too in certain circumstances, they are brilliant and true, like you said.

"Thought I heard You call my name
But you only said goodbye

But I heard the distance in your voice
And I knew I was alone

Tried to tell you my deepest thoughts
But I only said goodbye"

I mean, who hasn't lived through that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2512 on: May 03, 2022, 09:07:15 PM »
That's exactly the part I was referring too.  One of the all time greatest lyrics I think.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2513 on: May 03, 2022, 09:15:36 PM »
And then look at the lyrics to Life In Still Water..

"Feeling the weight of unseen chains
This routine is growing thin
It's a narrow path that we walk
And the walls are closing in
Caving in

And it's been a while since we've been moved
Without going through the motions
No emotions

Holding on is easier than letting go

You get tired of screaming
When you're not reaching anyone"

Parallels is a fucking great album. Anyone who has seen a relationship shut down can relate. It's a way more direct and honest account than the pathetic protagonist on APSOG.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2514 on: May 03, 2022, 09:31:33 PM »
I do like We Only Say Goodbye. Would not have pegged that one as a TAC favorite.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2515 on: May 03, 2022, 09:58:54 PM »
Not sure of the opinion on this, but the only version of We Only Say Goodbye that I listen to is the remix that was on the Chasing Time release. I actually replaced the album version on my iPod with the remix.

Also, I will just throw out my very minority opinion again but, Darkness In A Different Light >>>>>> Theories Of Flight.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2516 on: May 03, 2022, 10:34:06 PM »

Caving in

No emotions

Parallels is a fucking great album. Anyone who has seen a relationship shut down can relate. It's a way more direct and honest account than the pathetic protagonist on APSOG.

I OBJECT!!!

Everyone who has ever spent a sleepless night tossing and turning because their brain is firing off every mistake, misstep, and questionable decision you’ve ever made in your life can relate to the story of APSOG.

And I can’t imagine that we are 1) rare or 2) pathetic

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2517 on: May 03, 2022, 11:17:50 PM »
they need to release an isolated vocal mix of Life in Still Water.

To this day, I really have never been able to hear LaBrie on that track.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2518 on: May 03, 2022, 11:32:05 PM »
they need to release an isolated vocal mix of Life in Still Water.

To this day, I really have never been able to hear LaBrie on that track.

He sings the backing vocals on the chorus. They're very audible imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2519 on: May 03, 2022, 11:50:43 PM »

Caving in

No emotions

I OBJECT!!!

Everyone who has ever spent a sleepless night tossing and turning because their brain is firing off every mistake, misstep, and questionable decision you’ve ever made in your life can relate to the story of APSOG.

And I can’t imagine that we are 1) rare or 2) pathetic

This.  A Pleasant Shade of Gray is pretty brilliant IMO.  But the lyrics TAC quoted are on as well.  Both albums have plenty of extremely relatable stuff.   Maybe I'll listen to them both tomorrow.  But if I do that, Disconnected is going to show up as well... maybe it'll just be a Fates day.