Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 311802 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around
« Reply #2450 on: April 24, 2022, 03:07:40 PM »
Disconnected is one of the most beautiful atmospheric albums I’ve ever heard. The crown jewel is obviously Still Remains (my father had Parkinson’s for years and finally fell asleep in death in 2007. Blasting that song and bawling my eyes out was very cathartic at the time) but the song that took much longer to grow on me was Something from Nothing. The build up of tension in that song is off the chart! Sometimes I actually wish the intro went on a bit longer before the vocals kick in. That song is the definition of “moody”

Yeah, that flange effect on Zinder’s cymbals when the drums kick in is just the best.

Some records age better than others, and for my money, Disconnected is the epitome of ‘fine wine’

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2451 on: April 24, 2022, 05:33:20 PM »
Disconnected WAS my favorite FW album until Theories of Flight came out. And I stumbled with Disconnected by "accident". I was browsing FYE (back in the day), and I found the album cover a bit "disturbing" (I was 18 at that time). And every time I returned to FYE, I kept staring at that album until one day I said fuck it. And holy shit. It blew my mind. At that time I was just listening to  Dream Theater and LTE since I had barely discovered DT (1998) and LTE (1999) and SFAM had came out so I spun that album for like 8 months straight. Then Disconnected took over for another 6 months and started buying their back catalogue.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2452 on: April 24, 2022, 06:55:08 PM »
:o What, no..... Island in the Stream is sooooo good! :)

I think Inside Out is a fine album in general; if there is hate for it, it definitely doesn't come from me.

Agreed  :) Love Island in the Stream...Ray Alder's singing is sublime, and the combo of the clean electric and acoustic guitars in the verses is so good. Then its unusual structure, the subtle strings and the outro with Zonder's super-tasteful drumming...everything comes together real nice.

Yes, yes it is indeed.  I agree with everything else here as well, but I really think Ray is fantastic.  And I think he's a fantastic singer overall.  Even though he may struggle now with older material - I don't care.  He's so expressive and has a really unique delivery.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2453 on: April 24, 2022, 06:57:41 PM »
I really think Ray is fantastic.  And I think he's a fantastic singer overall.  Even though he may struggle now with older material - I don't care.  He's so expressive and has a really unique delivery.

Oh I agree.

I only saw FW once, at a very small club on the Inside Out tour, and I stood like 3 feet away from Ray Alder the whole show, and I loved watching him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2454 on: April 24, 2022, 08:33:44 PM »
Apart from Island in the Stream (sorry...it's not bad...just meh), the only thing I don't like about Inside Out is that my band's former singer got a "thanks" credit in the liner notes.  The guy had never heard of FW until I introduced him to the band.  After we kicked him out of the band, he moved to the Phoenix area and apparently became acquainted/friends with Ray.  I don't know what he did to get the mention in the liner notes, but I'll never forget when the guitarist and I noticed it.  We were PISSED (slash jealous).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2455 on: April 24, 2022, 09:26:16 PM »
I really think Ray is fantastic.  And I think he's a fantastic singer overall.  Even though he may struggle now with older material - I don't care.  He's so expressive and has a really unique delivery.

Oh I agree.

I only saw FW once, at a very small club on the Inside Out tour, and I stood like 3 feet away from Ray Alder the whole show, and I loved watching him.
You should see them again next time, whenever they get back on the road.  He's still a great front man.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2456 on: April 25, 2022, 01:07:13 PM »

Oh I agree.

You should see them again next time, whenever they get back on the road.  He's still a great front man.

I'd say he's still a great lead singer, and I look at him/FW as the blueprint of how to deal with a singer's range decreased by age.  I'm not sure he's ever been a great "front man" (which, for FW, he doesn't need to be).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2457 on: April 25, 2022, 01:47:24 PM »

Oh I agree.

I'd say he's still a great lead singer, and I look at him/FW as the blueprint of how to deal with a singer's range decreased by age.  I'm not sure he's ever been a great "front man" (which, for FW, he doesn't need to be).

I think he's both.  But I recognize from reading other comments here and elsewhere over the years that maybe my idea of a great frontman is different than others. I think he brings a lot of energy to the stage, and that's really all I'm looking for.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2458 on: April 25, 2022, 04:44:17 PM »
Disconnected is great an even though I always have put APSOG over it, I've definitely listened to it more per it just is songs, as opposed to APSOG which is 1 long piece like Thick as a Brick.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2459 on: April 25, 2022, 04:58:20 PM »

Oh I agree.

I think he's both.  But I recognize from reading other comments here and elsewhere over the years that maybe my idea of a great frontman is different than others. I think he brings a lot of energy to the stage, and that's really all I'm looking for.

Regardless, I have never walked out of an FW show wanting for more.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2460 on: April 25, 2022, 06:39:44 PM »
I have (unfortunately) only witnessed Fates Warning live once, when they opened for DT on the Awake tour, but it was such a FANTASTIC (short) show.

Not quite the same, obviously, but I have to say their Live Over Europe is one of my favorite live albums of the last few years, period. There's some incredible energy in those performances, and the "setlist" (I know it's a collection from many shows) is a pretty great representation of the Alder era. There isn't a ton from APSOG, but considering the whole thing was on Still Life, I'm not complaining  ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2461 on: April 25, 2022, 07:03:28 PM »
I have (unfortunately) only witnessed Fates Warning live once, when they opened for DT on the Awake tour, but it was such a FANTASTIC (short) show.

Not quite the same, obviously, but I have to say their Live Over Europe is one of my favorite live albums of the last few years, period. There's some incredible energy in those performances, and the "setlist" (I know it's a collection from many shows) is a pretty great representation of the Alder era. There isn't a ton from APSOG, but considering the whole thing was on Still Life, I'm not complaining  ;)

REALLY glad they preserved a full performance when it came out.

I almost forgot that I bought the expanded version when it came out. I don’t think I’ve actually watched that show since I had it on VHS.  :rollin

EDIT - I went downstairs to go look at that collection again and I had completely forgotten that there’s a second full performance on that DVD that I’ve never even seen at all!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2462 on: April 25, 2022, 07:19:11 PM »

I almost forgot that I bought the expanded version when it came out. I don’t think I’ve actually watched that show since I had it on VHS.  :rollin

EDIT - I went downstairs to go look at that collection again and I had completely forgotten that there’s a second full performance on that DVD that I’ve never even seen at all!

Ha! I didn't even know of an expanded edition! I have the double CD Still Life with the full album on one CD and a variety of songs on the other, and then I have the APSOG - Live VHS (!)...are you saying there is another live DVD?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2463 on: April 25, 2022, 08:35:55 PM »
This is a forum favorite that I feel I should like, yet never got in to, and probably one I never really gave a fair shake. So I aim to change that, as a tackle their discography.

Will report back in a week or two!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2464 on: April 25, 2022, 08:46:10 PM »

Oh I agree.

Regardless, I have never walked out of an FW show wanting for more.

Ah, I definitely have.  I would love them to be able to do an evening type show because their shows always seem to fly by.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2465 on: April 25, 2022, 08:47:40 PM »
This is a forum favorite that I feel I should like, yet never got in to, and probably one I never really gave a fair shake. So I aim to change that, as a tackle their discography.

Will report back in a week or two!

Have fun!  I guess it could go either way - curious how you'll feel about them. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2466 on: April 25, 2022, 08:48:55 PM »
They have a really diverse discography.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2467 on: April 25, 2022, 08:50:02 PM »
Stadler is wont to say "we like who we like" and I wholeheartedly agree, so when I say I should like them it is just based on trends and suppositions. It is mostly about giving them a good chance, when I don't think I have done properly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2468 on: April 25, 2022, 08:52:18 PM »

Ha! I didn't even know of an expanded edition! I have the double CD Still Life with the full album on one CD and a variety of songs on the other, and then I have the APSOG - Live VHS (!)...are you saying there is another live DVD?

I think the expanded edition came out on the 20th anniversary five years ago?  It’s 3CDs/1DVD. Disc 1 is the remastered album, disc 2 is the live performance from the VHS, disc 3 is demos. The DVD has 2 complete performances. The remastered show from the VHS, and a 2nd performance from 1998 at The Whiskey which I’ve never seen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2469 on: April 25, 2022, 08:55:03 PM »
Stadler is wont to say "we like who we like" and I wholeheartedly agree, so when I say I should like them it is just based on trends and suppositions. It is mostly about giving them a good chance, when I don't think I have done properly.

How do you plan on tackling them? Chronologically from the start? Working backwards? Jumping around?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2470 on: April 25, 2022, 09:01:26 PM »

The thing about FW is that depending on the album, you’re going to get a COMPLETELY different band.

The Arch-era started as a Iron Maiden wannabe, but started to get more complex very quickly.

When Arch left and Ray Alder came in, they traded a Bruce Dickenson soundalike for a Geoff Tate soundalike. The first offering retained the IM heaviness, but contained their first sidelong attempt (ala 2112) but then started to get more melodic like Queensryche and Dream Theater. (This is considered their peak by many people…but it depends) But when that failed commercially, two band members left and the guitar player/primary song writer took 100% control and made a huge comeback with an extremely atmospheric sound that embraced more Pink Floyd (think Shine On you Crazy Diamond soundscapes) types of “world building”.  After two of those albums…a new lineup solidified that blended old heaviness with the new atmosphere and that’s where we are now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: April 25, 2022, 09:04:37 PM »

How do you plan on tackling them? Chronologically from the start? Working backwards? Jumping around?

Any time I do something like this I default to chronologically.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2472 on: April 25, 2022, 09:21:51 PM »

The thing about FW is that depending on the album, you’re going to get a COMPLETELY different band.

The Arch-era started as a Iron Maiden wannabe, but started to get more complex very quickly.

When Arch left and Ray Alder came in, they traded a Bruce Dickenson soundalike for a Geoff Tate soundalike.
Huh.  I think both singers are pretty far from being soundalikes.  Maybe Ray is sorta kinda in the Geoff Tate ball park, but he has his own style and his own voice.  And I don't think Arch sounds anything like Bruce Dickinson.

Funny how we all hear things differently.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2473 on: April 25, 2022, 09:27:31 PM »
Ray Alder has become his own thing. But No Exit was totally a show off by a young kid who thought he’d be able to do it forever.

But not hearing the BD soundalike in early Arch baffles me. He’s a bit more nasel-y and sings from the throat more…but nearly everyone heard the similarities when he was in the band back in the day. The fans spoke of it…the media of the time spoke of it…etc

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2474 on: April 25, 2022, 09:28:17 PM »

I would avoid the first three :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2475 on: April 25, 2022, 09:33:47 PM »

I would avoid the first three :biggrin:

Unless you’ve heard (and enjoy) the Arch/Matheos albums. In which case, jump in. Just remember that the 1st album is very much like the first Rush album. A bunch of kids imitating their heroes who haven’t found their sound yet, but stumbled upon one or two gems in the process.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2476 on: April 25, 2022, 11:12:11 PM »
Ray Alder has become his own thing. But No Exit was totally a show off by a young kid who thought he’d be able to do it forever.

But not hearing the BD soundalike in early Arch baffles me. He’s a bit more nasel-y and sings from the throat more…but nearly everyone heard the similarities when he was in the band back in the day. The fans spoke of it…the media of the time spoke of it…etc

Maybe I should revisit those albums, because the voice I'm hearing in my head now is from Arch/Matheos, but I never thought that about him and Bruce Dickinson.  I listened to Awaken the Guardian quite a bit a few years ago so I'd know it better for the reunion show, and just never thought that.  I think Arch's vocal melodies are soo different (that just about anyone) and the tone of his voice is different than Bruce's.  But it's been quite awhile since I listened to the 1st two and I never listened to them all that much.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2477 on: April 25, 2022, 11:17:01 PM »
The tone is slightly different. As I said, he is more nasally. But if you listen to early Bruce (NOTB, POM) and then listen to the first 2-3 FW albums…you’ll hear the similarities we were all hearing at the time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2478 on: April 26, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »

I think the expanded edition came out on the 20th anniversary five years ago?  It’s 3CDs/1DVD. Disc 1 is the remastered album, disc 2 is the live performance from the VHS, disc 3 is demos. The DVD has 2 complete performances. The remastered show from the VHS, and a 2nd performance from 1998 at The Whiskey which I’ve never seen.

Are we talking about the expanded edition of....what?  There's an anniversary edition of APSOG that was released in 2007, and which includes a DVD version of the Pleasant Shade of Gray Live VHS.  I believe there's also a second CD of rough mixes.

When Arch left and Ray Alder came in, they traded a Bruce Dickenson soundalike for a Geoff Tate soundalike.
Huh.  I think both singers are pretty far from being soundalikes.  Maybe Ray is sorta kinda in the Geoff Tate ball park, but he has his own style and his own voice.  And I don't think Arch sounds anything like Bruce Dickinson.

Agree.  I about did a spit take when I read Arch described as a "Bruce Dickenson [sic] soundalike."  And that's not even factoring in the fact that Bruce has always been excellent live, while Arch might be the single worst live vocalist I've ever heard (at least as far as the stuff from the '80s goes).

I've always described Night on Brocken as an attempt to sound like Maiden, but with a vastly inferior singer.

As far as Chris's dive into the albums, I see no reason not to default to going chronologically.  Brocken might be a bit of a slog, but things change pretty quickly (even though it's the same lineup on Spectre).  The addition of Frank Aresti on Guardian shows a huge leap, and No Exit with Ray was spot on for 1988 (the heyday of Operation: Mindcrime).

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2479 on: April 26, 2022, 10:10:27 AM »

Are we talking about the expanded edition of....what?  There's an anniversary edition of APSOG that was released in 2007, and which includes a DVD version of the Pleasant Shade of Gray Live VHS.  I believe there's also a second CD of rough mixes.

Got it! I thought there was some sort of expanded edition of Still life. Here we are talking about the APSOG re-issue. I don't have that one, but I do have (somewhere!) the APSOG Live VHS.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2480 on: April 26, 2022, 05:07:09 PM »
Incidentally, I just checked out the expanded version of APSOG, as we were just talking about it...one of the bonus tracks is a cover of The Scorps' In Trance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLn7woG3UMo

Pretty cool (and very faithful to the original, actually)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2481 on: April 26, 2022, 06:03:09 PM »
Incidentally, I just checked out the expanded version of APSOG, as we were just talking about it...one of the bonus tracks is a cover of The Scorps' In Trance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLn7woG3UMo

Pretty cool (and very faithful to the original, actually)

That was on some Scorps tribute album I believe. I have that song. It's a perfect song for Ray.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2482 on: April 26, 2022, 06:18:19 PM »
That came out in 2007? Huh…my bad. I thought it came out on the last anniversary of the album. Guess I was mistaken.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2483 on: April 26, 2022, 09:14:59 PM »

Agree.  I about did a spit take when I read Arch described as a "Bruce Dickenson [sic] soundalike."  And that's not even factoring in the fact that Bruce has always been excellent live, while Arch might be the single worst live vocalist I've ever heard (at least as far as the stuff from the '80s goes).

I've always described Night on Brocken as an attempt to sound like Maiden, but with a vastly inferior singer.
Oh, oh good. At least if I'm crazy, so are you. :)

As far as Chris's dive into the albums, I see no reason not to default to going chronologically.  Brocken might be a bit of a slog, but things change pretty quickly (even though it's the same lineup on Spectre).  The addition of Frank Aresti on Guardian shows a huge leap, and No Exit with Ray was spot on for 1988 (the heyday of Operation: Mindcrime).
Chronologically seems like a good way to go.  If he hates Arch's voice, certainly he should skip ahead before giving up on the band, but otherwise, I like the chronological approach.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2484 on: April 27, 2022, 03:12:49 AM »
Expect I'm in the minority here but to this day I think their Live In Athens show/DVD is still their best \m/