Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 311760 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around
« Reply #2380 on: August 29, 2021, 09:26:13 PM »
I listened to six FW albums start to finish today and I loved every second.

Parallels
Inside Out
APSOG
Disconnected
Theories of Flight
Long Day Good Night

:metal

But no Darkness In. A Different Light?

Certainly worth your time I love how I Am rolls out from the beautiful Falling, how one of the album highlights O Chloroform sets up the epic And Yet and don't get me started on Firefly or the wonderful bonus track reworking of Falling...

Or FWX which while not of the same calibre contains some essential Fates, I'd argue A Handful Of Doubt and Wish are worth the price alone  ;D

But am sure you already aware of all that and kudos for your selections pretty much all personal faves and forever waving the flag for Parallels (always wished they'd finished with We Always Say Goodbye think that's an album closer if ever heard one) and the usually underappreciated Disconnected  :metal

Am now inspired to go do the same myself Cheers!

I was so glad I bought the edition with the bonus cd to fall in love with Falling Further. I was actually quite surprised when they played it on their opening slot for Queensryche. That song alone made my night, and I sang the hell out of that song. What would've topped the night would've been to have gotten Still Remains, but their set was still awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2381 on: August 29, 2021, 11:16:33 PM »
I listened to six FW albums start to finish today and I loved every second.

Parallels
Inside Out
APSOG
Disconnected
Theories of Flight
Long Day Good Night

:metal

I was so glad I bought the edition with the bonus cd to fall in love with Falling Further. I was actually quite surprised when they played it on their opening slot for Queensryche. That song alone made my night, and I sang the hell out of that song. What would've topped the night would've been to have gotten Still Remains, but their set was still awesome.

NICE!

Still bucket list Fer me living Down Under can't say when or even if will ever get the chance but if happens will be doing everything can not to miss it 🤘

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: August 29, 2021, 11:46:25 PM »
What state are you in Wardy?  Yeah, doubt we'll be seeing them down here anytime soon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2383 on: August 30, 2021, 07:15:05 AM »
Would be Melbourne show fer me mate how about you?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: August 30, 2021, 02:59:46 PM »
Brisbane mate, so if they came to Australia I probably wouldn't see them anyway lol.

I'm sure you'd catch Brent (bl5150) at the Melbourne show for sure.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2385 on: November 10, 2021, 05:11:09 PM »
Happy 35th anniversary/birthday to this epic!

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: November 14, 2021, 04:53:12 PM »
I went to see Mike Abdow perform his solo material this weekend in Poughkeepsie.  What a talented dude.  He deserves so much more recognition than he receives, and I'm glad he's starting to get it a bit after having written a majority of the music for Ray's solo album, What the Water Wants.  Mike's most recent solo album, Heart Signal, is so good -- dare I say, even better than John Petrucci's Terminal Velocity.  And he's such a nice guy and easy to root for.  Fates Warning couldn't have picked a better guy to fill in for Frank Aresti. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2387 on: November 15, 2021, 06:43:37 AM »
Every time I see this thread on page one I'm so excited to read about a tour announcement :rollin

I don't follow him so I didn't even know he had a solo album, but I loved what he did with Ray's solo effort so I'll definitely check it out!

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get to hear ANY of Long Day Good Night live at some point.   :metal

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2388 on: November 15, 2021, 05:58:44 PM »
I went to see Mike Abdow perform his solo material this weekend in Poughkeepsie.  What a talented dude.  He deserves so much more recognition than he receives, and I'm glad he's starting to get it a bit after having written a majority of the music for Ray's solo album, What the Water Wants.  Mike's most recent solo album, Heart Signal, is so good -- dare I say, even better than John Petrucci's Terminal Velocity.  And he's such a nice guy and easy to root for.  Fates Warning couldn't have picked a better guy to fill in for Frank Aresti.

Yes indeed!

Ray's solo album made my #1 for its year and I just hope he gives us another sooner than later.  Agree Mike Abdow fits Fates like a glove and he certainly value added to Ray's album. 

To my ears when played front to back there's some ever so subtle Promised Land vibes with Ray's album, not a Tate Ray comparison nor anything quite the magnitude of that Queensryhce opus, but I those reflective similarities particuarly in the album's gentler moments... Probably just me though ;D

Of note too is whoever chose the singles chose correctly IMO, Wait and Crown Of Thorns both some of Ray's best work IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA80VmzsCNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvzmK-X7SPw

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2389 on: November 16, 2021, 09:07:34 AM »

To my ears when played front to back there's some ever so subtle Promised Land vibes with Ray's album, not a Tate Ray comparison nor anything quite the magnitude of that Queensryhce opus, but I those reflective similarities particuarly in the album's gentler moments... Probably just me though ;D

Not just you. I hear the same vibes and thought that too. Just an overall feeling.

Great record, love What The Water Wants.

As for Mike Abdow, completely agree. The guy is amazingly talented and a wonderful person. Really humble. I have his entire catalog, and wish I'd get to see him do a solo gig at some point. There's so much feel in his playing.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread
« Reply #2390 on: March 19, 2022, 07:19:52 PM »
I posted this in the polls/survivors section, but I know not everyone goes there.

How much interest would there be in a Fates Warning survivor?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2391 on: March 19, 2022, 08:36:40 PM »
I posted this in the polls/survivors section, but I know not everyone goes there.

I would freaking love this. But I doubt you’d get much participation for the first two albums.

I’ve been a fan ever since TSW first came out, so I’ve grown to love all of it. (Imagine a time when NOB and TSW were literally the only two albums there were!)  But I’ve always gotten the impression that among the DTF crowd as a whole, the love for their catalog is pretty era driven and very spotty. I’d be surprised if there were 4 people here who owned and loved every album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2392 on: March 20, 2022, 03:57:52 AM »

YES!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: March 20, 2022, 04:00:12 AM »

I would freaking love this. But I doubt you’d get much participation for the first two albums.

I’ve been a fan ever since TSW first came out, so I’ve grown to love all of it. (Imagine a time when NOB and TSW were literally the only two albums there were!)  But I’ve always gotten the impression that among the DTF crowd as a whole, the love for their catalog is pretty era driven and very spotty. I’d be surprised if there were 4 people here who owned and loved every album.

I think for a band as diverse as they have been over the course of their career, it's hard to argue with this, and personally would be expected.  Personally I'd need a quick spin or two of a couple of albums but I have a decent grip on most of their stuff.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2394 on: March 20, 2022, 06:50:41 AM »
I have no idea what survivor is - seeing this topic on page one got me SO PSYCHED that they announced a tour.   &*(^#@%

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: March 20, 2022, 07:45:00 AM »
I'd be down for it.  I was actually also thinking that a Ray Alder survivor would be cool.  He has so much awesome material with FW, Redemption, Engine and his solo material.  I'd be curious to see what ranks where among fans.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2396 on: March 20, 2022, 08:45:58 AM »

You are probably right. I do own all of their albums but I can't say I love all of them. To be fair, up through Awaken the Guardian, they quite literally were a different band. Matheos himself, I think, has said it a couple of times.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2397 on: March 21, 2022, 09:33:02 AM »
I have no idea what survivor is - seeing this topic on page one got me SO PSYCHED that they announced a tour.   &*(^#@%

The format is based on the Survivor TV show. So we actually vote off our least favorite of what’s left until only the winner “survives”.  Sometimes alliances are formed in order to save a song that is beloved by a small group…so there is a little bit more nuance going on than just a flat “vote for your [least] favorite”, so it can sometimes make it more interesting.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2398 on: March 21, 2022, 10:01:11 AM »
TSW includes 2 of my top 20 Fates tunes, so i would definitely be going to bat for some of the tracks from the Arduini period.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2399 on: March 21, 2022, 10:09:47 AM »
TSW includes 2 of my top 20 Fates tunes, so i would definitely be going to bat for some of the tracks from the Arduini period.

I'm gonna guess The Apparition for sure.  The other...my own view colors this, but I'm gonna say Traveler in Time?  Or Epitaph?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2400 on: March 21, 2022, 11:23:16 AM »

I'm gonna guess The Apparition for sure.  The other...my own view colors this, but I'm gonna say Traveler in Time?  Or Epitaph?

yep.

1. Epitaph
2. The Apparition
3. Traveler in Time

I also have always loved "Damnation" from Brocken, and actually do enjoy many tracks from it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2401 on: March 21, 2022, 12:39:30 PM »
TSW was the first of the Arch albums I found, and Traveler in Time hooked me immediately.  Still my favorite song from the album.  The Apparition is #2.

I like Damnation.  They played it live the first time I saw them in 1989.  Beyond that, none of the other songs on NOB have ever grabbed me, and I've probably only listened to the album maybe half a dozen times.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2402 on: March 21, 2022, 02:09:57 PM »
I was listening to NoB a few weeks ago per I am planning on doing a series of Albums-Video reviews and Album rankings for my YouTube channel, and I was reminded how much I used to enjoy that record, even though it clearly is the worst of the 3 Arch records.

Title track, Shadowfax, Kiss of Death, Buried Alive, Misfit, The Calling, S.E.K, Soldier Boy..I mean sure it's not as proggy as the other 2, but I still enjoy the energy and charm to it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2403 on: March 21, 2022, 08:07:55 PM »
Kiss of Death and Misfit are personal favorites of mine.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bobzor

« Reply #2404 on: March 22, 2022, 12:23:48 PM »
Buried Alive, Kiss of Death, Misfit, Damnation... I mean, there are some good tracks on Night on Bröcken for sure. It just cannot compete with the albums that followed. It's not the strongest debut album ever, and at times sounds more like a demo recording. But it's not a bad album by any means, just a much more raw and straight forward version of what was to come. Essentially you have guys in their early 20's, obviously crazy about Iron Maiden, testing the waters and making a pretty good effort.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2405 on: March 22, 2022, 01:16:30 PM »
I spun Long Day Good Night in the gym today - what a beast.  What are the chances we'll see any of this live?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: March 22, 2022, 01:34:54 PM »
I spun Long Day Good Night in the gym today - what a beast.  What are the chances we'll see any of this live?

I know, I was hoping for a summer 2022 tour now that concerts seem to be back in full effect.  But I wonder if Bobby is available since he is performing now with George Strait.  If he's busy, it might be a good time for a 25th anniversary tour for A Pleasant Shade of Gray.  I mean, Ray is already working with Mark Zonder on this new A-Z project, so it seems like a good opportunity to play some shows with Zonder on drums perhaps. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2407 on: March 22, 2022, 01:39:55 PM »

I know, I was hoping for a summer 2022 tour now that concerts seem to be back in full effect.  But I wonder if Bobby is available since he is performing now with George Strait.  If he's busy, it might be a good time for a 25th anniversary tour for A Pleasant Shade of Gray.  I mean, Ray is already working with Mark Zonder on this new A-Z project, so it seems like a good opportunity to play some shows with Zonder on drums perhaps.

I'd travel for that one.  I have no idea why I missed the APSOG tour, but I wouldn't miss it again.

LDGN still hasn't clicked for me.  Of course, it took a couple years for TOF to click, so I'm not counting it out just yet.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #2408 on: March 22, 2022, 02:03:32 PM »
Have they ever come out and explained what the deal was the the cover for Night on Bröcken?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2409 on: March 22, 2022, 02:18:32 PM »
LDGN still hasn't clicked for me.  Of course, it took a couple years for TOF to click, so I'm not counting it out just yet.

LDGN is very, very good, but yes, TOF was a true late-career highlight for me. I liked it right away, and my appreciation for it has grown even more in time.

Coming after FWX and Darkness, everything about it felt so much more "inspired" - just great Fates Warning songs with some of their best vocal melodies in a while. And some of the guitar work almost brought me back to the Parallels/Inside Out era...not quite the "sophisticated melodic brilliance" of Matheos-Aresti's interplay on those albums, but more exciting (to my ears) than the Tool-like riffing Matheos had been using for a little while.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #2410 on: March 23, 2022, 12:37:04 AM »

LDGN is very, very good, but yes, TOF was a true late-career highlight for me. I liked it right away, and my appreciation for it has grown even more in time.

Coming after FWX and Darkness, everything about it felt so much more "inspired" - just great Fates Warning songs with some of their best vocal melodies in a while. And some of the guitar work almost brought me back to the Parallels/Inside Out era...not quite the "sophisticated melodic brilliance" of Matheos-Aresti's interplay on those albums, but more exciting (to my ears) than the Tool-like riffing Matheos had been using for a little while.

Perfectly said agree wholeheartedly! :metal

As fantastic as it is LDGN isn't quite of the same calibre but it's close and getting closer with each listen ;)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:57:10 PM by WardySI »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2411 on: March 23, 2022, 10:20:22 AM »

Not sure if I'm interpreting what you wrote correctly, but I LOVE DIADL and loved it almost from the first time I heard it.  I Am, Into the Black and And Yet It Moves are among the best songs FW ever did.  I don't like Disconnected or FWX (maybe three songs between the two albums), and I had pretty much walked away from Fates given the long gap between FWX and DIADL.

For reasons that I can't explain, it took a long time for TOF to click.  Every time I've listened to LDGN, I've come away thinking that there was nothing I didn't like, but there's nothing memorable so far.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2412 on: March 23, 2022, 12:49:29 PM »

Not sure if I'm interpreting what you wrote correctly, but I LOVE DIADL and loved it almost from the first time I heard it.  I Am, Into the Black and And Yet It Moves are among the best songs FW ever did.  I don't like Disconnected or FWX (maybe three songs between the two albums), and I had pretty much walked away from Fates given the long gap between FWX and DIADL.

For reasons that I can't explain, it took a long time for TOF to click.  Every time I've listened to LDGN, I've come away thinking that there was nothing I didn't like, but there's nothing memorable so far.

I like but don't love DIADL (although I like it better than FWX). What I was saying is that after two FW records that didn't excite me as much as I hoped, I found TOF to be incredibly refreshing. Differently from you, I loved it right away. Certainly not an album that reinvents the wheel, but one with the strongest (imo) FW songs in years...

Out of curiosity - what are your favorite FW albums?

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2413 on: March 23, 2022, 01:17:59 PM »

It's so weird knowing he's playing for George Strait.  I'm sure it's a great opportunity for him, but my god listen to his drum work on everything he's done w FW or Arch/Matheos, seems like his talent is being wasted there.  I get it though. 

I'd travel for that one.  I have no idea why I missed the APSOG tour, but I wouldn't miss it again.

Same here - wherever that show is, I'll be traveling to see it.  Really hoping they do some dates within the next year or two - there's a lot I'd love to see from TOF live, as well.  I know they've toured with DT a few times before, but they'd be an excellent opener on the next leg (if there is one).  Fingers crossed.

My only gripe (and it's minor) with LDGN is the mix, it's a bit bass heavy to my ears.  I like/love just about everything else about it - same w TOF.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2414 on: March 23, 2022, 01:48:09 PM »

I like but don't love DIADL (although I like it better than FWX). What I was saying is that after two FW records that didn't excite me as much as I hoped, I found TOF to be incredibly refreshing. Differently from you, I loved it right away. Certainly not an album that reinvents the wheel, but one with the strongest (imo) FW songs in years...

Out of curiosity - what are your favorite FW albums?

Gotcha.  Sounds like TOF clicked for you the way DIADL clicked for me.

My top 3 albums are, in order, APSOG, Perfect Symmetry and Parallels.  After that, the lines get blurry really fast.  If pressed, I'd probably go with:

1. A Pleasant Shade of Gray
2. Perfect Symmetry
3. Parallels

4. No Exit
5. Inside Out
6. Darkness in a Different Light
7. Theories of Flight
8. Awaken the Guardian

9. The Spectre Within

10. Long Day Good Night

11. Disconnected
12. FWX
13. Night on Brocken

Although it's been out for a year and a half, I still don't feel completely comfortable with LDGN's spot in the rankings.  I'm pretty sure Spectre is locked in at #9, although it has two of my absolute favorite FW songs (Traveler and Apparition).  I know Guardian > Spectre, and they're much easier to compare directly than, e.g., Guardian and Theories.  The order of the 4-8 group is very squishy.