Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 311326 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1995 on: June 01, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »
I tried Fates several times in the '90s and early '00s, and they never clicked with me.  I liked an odd song here or there, but as as whole, nothing really jumped out at me.  Got their hits album right before seeing them on tour with QR and DT, and had pretty much the same reaction I always had. 

A friend subsequently made me a copy of FWX to check out, and I really liked it--much more than the previous material.  And I was also gaining more exposure to Ray's voice in Redemption, and really liked his work with them on Snowfall and This Mortal Coil.  The same friend who gave me the copy of FWX pursuaded me to pick up the special edition re-release of Parallels, and my reaction was similar to when I had previously heard it:  A few tracks that I kind of liked, but the album still just didn't grab me. 

I bought Darkness and loved it.  Bought Theories, and it was my album of the year.  LOVE that album. 

So, for me, I'm just not a fan of the pre-FWX albums I have heard.  Nothing against them.  But the newer albums are just what has clicked with me.  And I guess I am the anomaly that has FWX as the album that made the band click with me.

I'm gonna start by saying that I hate being 'that guy'...you know, the one who says "what? you don't like X band? you need to listen to X album...trust me!"

But, with all of that being said :P

If you haven't already heard it, I highly recommend the "Still Life" live release that came out in the late 90's. The first disc is APSOG all the way through, and the live performance really elevates what is an already fantastic album to a whole other level.

I had very similar thoughts to you in regards to early (pre-Disconnected) Fates, and it wasn't until I listened to that particular album the I finally 'got it'

As far as FWX...I LOVE that album, and actually rank it right behind Disconnected as my 2nd favorite album. I suspect that my point of entry (late 90's) and overall tastes probably make me an atypical fan, but for me, that album is golden. It has a ton of elements that show up in OSI as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1996 on: June 01, 2020, 05:40:10 PM »
That's actually a great suggestion.  Since I am finding myself really liking their live sound, that could be right up my alley.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1997 on: June 01, 2020, 06:09:09 PM »
That's actually a great suggestion.  Since I am finding myself really liking their live sound, that could be right up my alley.

Disc 2 will pump you up. Still Life really captured the live energy of the show. I use Disc 2 for exercising quite a bit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1998 on: June 01, 2020, 07:07:36 PM »
Yeah, Disc 2 is awesome. Disc 1 improves the studio version of APSOG, but it's still a damn chore to get through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: June 01, 2020, 07:25:39 PM »
Haven't listened to Still Life for a long long time.  I remember obviously favouring the second cd though.  APSOG has never clicked for me that much.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2000 on: June 01, 2020, 07:53:17 PM »
Haven't listened to Still Life for a long long time.  I remember obviously favouring the second cd though.  APSOG has never clicked for me that much.

same

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2001 on: June 02, 2020, 09:16:39 AM »
Complete live versions of both APSOG and The Ivory Gate of Dreams make Still Life an all-time great live album by any band.  The only misstep is We Only Say Goodbye as a closer.  It's a good song, but it's no way to close a set or a live album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2002 on: June 02, 2020, 09:51:06 AM »
Somebody help me, I'm too psyched for this album.

:heart

Me too!

As far as FWX...I LOVE that album, and actually rank it right behind Disconnected as my 2nd favorite album. I suspect that my point of entry (late 90's) and overall tastes probably make me an atypical fan, but for me, that album is golden. It has a ton of elements that show up in OSI as well.

My Fates story is a little funny, and I got into them almost around the same time (early 2000s). I had never seen a Fates video (which is strange), but in the late 90s I bought APSOG on those Columbia House things, and I hated it. Didn't get what all the fuss was about (which is hysterical in retrospect). When my wife and I got married in the early 2000s, we went to see the QR-DT-FW tour a couple of times, and she told me "how can you not like or know Fates Warning" and immediately got me a copy of Parallels. I liked it. We saw them play twice on that tour, and I fell in love with the song "One" and bought Disconnected.

But it was FWX in 2004 that sealed the deal, and then I went down the rabbit hole and became an uber fan. LOL. That was the first Fates album I bought on release day, and I love it. It has aged well for me. A Handful of Doubt, Wish, just so many great tunes on there. Now, 16 years later, it isn't as high when I rank the Alder catalog of Fates, but each time I say that, and go revisit it, I'm reminded why I like it so much. LOL.

And yes, I came around to APSOG. I still don't rate it as highly as some do, but I do like it a lot. Always a treat to hear some of those songs live.

Anyway, can't wait for the new Fates!!!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2003 on: June 03, 2020, 10:38:06 AM »
she told me "how can you not like or know Fates Warning"
I tried to do this to my husband, but it didn't work so well on him :tdwn

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2004 on: August 25, 2020, 03:56:25 AM »
New single and artwork.

https://fateswarning.bandcamp.com/

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2005 on: August 25, 2020, 04:45:53 AM »
Fuck yeah. November is too far away. Reminds me a little bit of a mix between Engine/Theories and the artwork a little bit of FWX.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2007 on: August 25, 2020, 05:59:27 AM »
It's OK. If that's the best song, then this won't be a very good album. Some really cool drumming, of course.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2008 on: August 25, 2020, 06:19:08 AM »
It's OK. If that's the best song, then this won't be a very good album. Some really cool drumming, of course.

Surely they wouldn't release the best song?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2009 on: August 25, 2020, 06:20:57 AM »

Surely they wouldn't release the best song?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2010 on: August 25, 2020, 06:43:00 AM »
I thought it was good without being great- my memory may be wrong here but my first thought was of Ray's recent solo album rather than Theories etc......

It certainly continues with the heavy , melodic style I like from them so I am looking forward to the album,
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2011 on: August 25, 2020, 07:37:58 AM »
Song is just ok.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2012 on: August 25, 2020, 08:09:18 AM »
 Solid song. Just seeing these guys releasing something new brings me joy, so no complaints from me!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2013 on: August 25, 2020, 08:39:49 AM »
Just seeing these guys releasing something new brings me joy, so no complaints from me!!!

Yes, there's that!

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2016 on: August 25, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
Gavin Harrison plays on two songs. :metal

Press release:

On November 6, FATES WARNING will release its new album, "Long Day Good Night", via Metal Blade Records. The disc's first single, "Scars", can be streamed below.

FATES WARNING has been a formidable presence in progressive metal for more than 35 years, helping to shape and drive the genre without ever compromising its integrity or losing relevance. They return in 2020 with "Long Day Good Night", the most epic and longest album of its storied career, mixed by Joe Barresi.

"The styles of music we've written distinguish this record from the rest of our catalogue," states vocalist Ray Alder. "There are some songs with electronics and some with a nice ethereal feel, as well as some pretty straightforward grooves, at least for us. And there are also some pretty heavy songs. We tried to give the listener a host of different things to listen to, as opposed to an album where every song sounds the same." As such, the album is something of a rollercoaster ride, moving through various moods and making for perhaps their most vital release to date.

Guitarist Jim Matheos began writing the album in mid-2019, working closely with Alder for about a year, honing the songs, completing 13 for their 13th full-length — which, uncoincidentally, has a total running time of 72:22. Despite their long history of making records, Alder makes it clear that the songs take a lot of work to realize.

"Like all albums, nothing comes easy," he says. "It's quite a process to go from the idea to the actual finished song. Sometimes you think you're done with it, then you hear something else and you have to try that. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but you at least have to try it just so you know that in the end you've done everything possible to make it as good as it can be. Jim and I spent practically every day for the last year writing this album. I am very happy with the outcome, and with the blend of styles. I guess I could say that this album represents all of the years that we have been together."

The record also features guest appearances from touring guitarist Mike Abdow, who contributed some solos, plus PORCUPINE TREE/THE PINEAPPLE THIEF drummer Gavin Harrison, who plays on "When Snow Falls". "Under The Sun" sees the band incorporating a full string section for the first time.

"Long Day Good Night" track listing:

01. The Destination Onward
02. Shuttered World
03. Alone We Walk
04. Now Comes The Rain
05. The Way Home
06. Under The Sun
07. Scars
08. Begin Again
09. When Snow Falls
10. Liar
11. Glass Houses
12. The Longest Shadow Of The Day
13. The Last Song

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2017 on: August 25, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
Damn....

This is the most excited I’ve been for an FW release since FWX (and TBH, that was a letdown in my book).

But after ToF (one of the best things they’ve ever done) I really have high expectations for this one.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: August 25, 2020, 10:38:10 AM »
I liked this. I think pretty much everything on ToF was better though, but Ray sounds fine and this gives me hope.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2019 on: August 25, 2020, 10:41:43 AM »
I liked this. I think pretty much everything on ToF was better though, but Ray sounds fine and this gives me hope.

You’ve heard it???

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2020 on: August 25, 2020, 10:45:38 AM »
"The styles of music we've written distinguish this record from the rest of our catalogue," states vocalist Ray Alder. "There are some songs with electronics and some with a nice ethereal feel

Hmmm...that sounds like Disconnected and FWX, and that is NOT a good thing and doesn't bode well for a rebound after TOF.

But, of course, I'll reserve judgment -- I haven't yet listened to the teaser track.  Interesting that Ray seems to have been more involved with the writing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2021 on: August 25, 2020, 10:51:58 AM »
Funny, because I never associate Disconnected with FWX. Disconnected is probably my all time favorite (it fights with APSOG sometimes) but FWX was a letdown. I love Left Here, and Heal Me and Crawl are standouts. But the “singles” (what sounds like singles anyway) Simple Human and Another Perfect Day are extremely bland to my ears. Stranger is another one I never liked. Everything else on the album is excellent. Love River Wide Ocean Deep, Handful of Doubt, and Wish as well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: August 25, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »

You’ve heard it???

No, I was talking about the single.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2023 on: August 25, 2020, 11:09:59 AM »
Really enjoyed "Scars." It's really good, and got better on the second listen. I had no idea Gavin Harrison played on When Snow Falls. I wonder why they brought him on for just a track. It's not like Bobby couldn't have done it. He's incredible. But I love Gavin's work too, so it's a nice addition.

I REALLY like that they diversified their sound. And I also think it is cool that Joe Barresi mixed it. I've always admired his work. It'll be interesting to see what his mix of Fates sounds like on a good system.

I remember during the press for Theories of Flight, it was said that they purposefully cut out a lot of the electronics and just went guitar. And I thought that was smart. But as they continue, expanding into all elements of their sound seems like a good move. It was also said back then that they were unsure if Theories might be their last record. I noticed the track name of the final song on Long Day Goodnight is "The Last Song."

I wonder if the album title, the song title, and the fact Ray seems to be saying that they incorporated everything they've sort of ever done musically into this new one, has them thinking this record will be their swansong. Even if it isn't, they had to have known people would ask, given all the above.

Absolutely stoked for it though. Pre-ordered a vinyl/Cd/shirt bundle.

re: the discussion on FWX. I really like the record. "A Handful of Doubt," "Wish," "Heal Me," even straight ahead stuff like "Simple Human" are really good.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2024 on: August 25, 2020, 11:20:48 AM »
I have to be in the right mood, but i really enjoy FWX. A lot of the material has a slow burn, brooding kind of vibe that i dig from time to time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2025 on: August 25, 2020, 11:25:03 AM »
As singles go, this one is pretty strong. In general I tend not to like the singles from Jim. I can think of several examples where the “singles“ were the weakest tracks on their respective albums.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2026 on: August 25, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »
Really enjoyed "Scars." It's really good, and got better on the second listen. I had no idea Gavin Harrison played on When Snow Falls. I wonder why they brought him on for just a track. It's not like Bobby couldn't have done it. He's incredible. But I love Gavin's work too, so it's a nice addition.

I REALLY like that they diversified their sound. And I also think it is cool that Joe Barresi mixed it. I've always admired his work. It'll be interesting to see what his mix of Fates sounds like on a good system.

I remember during the press for Theories of Flight, it was said that they purposefully cut out a lot of the electronics and just went guitar. And I thought that was smart. But as they continue, expanding into all elements of their sound seems like a good move. It was also said back then that they were unsure if Theories might be their last record. I noticed the track name of the final song on Long Day Goodnight is "The Last Song."

I wonder if the album title, the song title, and the fact Ray seems to be saying that they incorporated everything they've sort of ever done musically into this new one, has them thinking this record will be their swansong. Even if it isn't, they had to have known people would ask, given all the above.

Absolutely stoked for it though. Pre-ordered a vinyl/Cd/shirt bundle.

re: the discussion on FWX. I really like the record. "A Handful of Doubt," "Wish," "Heal Me," even straight ahead stuff like "Simple Human" are really good.

First thing I thought after seeing the title and reading through the song list was this seems like it could be their last album. I realize they can’t go on forever, so if this is the end I hope it’s grandiose.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2027 on: August 25, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »
Funny, because I never associate Disconnected with FWX. Disconnected is probably my all time favorite (it fights with APSOG sometimes) but FWX was a letdown. I love Left Here, and Heal Me and Crawl are standouts. But the “singles” (what sounds like singles anyway) Simple Human and Another Perfect Day are extremely bland to my ears. Stranger is another one I never liked. Everything else on the album is excellent. Love River Wide Ocean Deep, Handful of Doubt, and Wish as well.

To me, both albums have a brooding, vaguely industrial feel about them.  The two Disconnected tracks are a complete waste of space.  One and Pieces of Me are good but not great.  The three longer songs have bits and pieces that are good, but they're hard to get through.  And FWX is even worse, with Another Perfect Day being about the only song I intentionally go to.  I do give both albums a pass every so often just to see if things have changed, but they're both a chore to get through.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2028 on: August 25, 2020, 01:37:20 PM »

To me, both albums have a brooding, vaguely industrial feel about them.  The two Disconnected tracks are a complete waste of space.  One and Pieces of Me are good but not great.  The three longer songs have bits and pieces that are good, but they're hard to get through.  And FWX is even worse, with Another Perfect Day being about the only song I intentionally go to.  I do give both albums a pass every so often just to see if things have changed, but they're both a chore to get through.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Disconnected pieces.   I mean, Pt 1 is just more of an intro track, but part 2 (when played at high volume especially) is just so beautifully eerie.    And it's the setting up of that "mood" that makes the entire album so perfect for me.   Something From Nothing especially.   I love every glorious second of it.  I almost wish there was an extended version that just built on the sparse mood that it sets up in the first half. 

EDIT - I'm going to add that I think it's the layers of detail that really make it.   It's the bass, then it's the synth, then those little sound effects come into play... the layers keep building and building.   I love finding out how many different things I can hear in the mix.  He's actually added a bunch of little things. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2029 on: August 25, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »

And I also think it is cool that Joe Barresi mixed it. I've always admired his work. It'll be interesting to see what his mix of Fates sounds like on a good system.

Here's his discography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Barresi

while I have only heard a few of those albums, 2 of them stand out with to my ears is awful *hot* (loudness wars-like) production and mixing.

Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow
Fair to Midland - Arrows and Anchors

recently he did work on Avenged Sevenfold's The Stage which I like, although truth be, I have not felt the desire to listen to since the year it came out. But I don't recall the mixing being awful like those other 2.

He also just worked on Tool's Fear Innoculum which I never listened to per I'm not really a fan, but I do recall people talked about the production being a strong point on it.

That being said, I hope the issues I and many others have had with him are not noticed or are an issue, but if the production is not up to Fates standards, and this is their last record, I may see it like Arrows and Anchors sadly, an album I really can't listen to after being a longtime, dedicated fan, like I am with FW.

I do now think of him as the last one to use Kevin Gilbert's recording studio Lawnmower & Garden Supplies, which given some of his work, is pretty ironic given Kevin's music is known for its incredibly clean and clear mixing and production quality.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:21:49 PM by SoundscapeMN »