Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 311984 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1925 on: March 28, 2020, 05:35:43 PM »
Theories of Flight/Parallels
Inside Out

the rest

I am a fan of the more immediate/melodic side of FW.  The 3 at the top - all rated in the mid-high 90's -  are among my favourite metal releases ever (and I also love No Exit and Perfect Symmetry)  but I never really "connected" with most of the rest.  My highest rated of the rest would be Disconnected (80%) and then the rest somewhere in the low-mid  70's..............I would prefer to listen to Ray's recent solo album than those FW releases.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1926 on: March 28, 2020, 06:58:11 PM »
If I ranked albums post-Parallels. . . .

This is pretty easy.

1. APSOG
2. Inside Out
3. DIADL (IO and DIADL are VERY close)

4. TOF

It's then a LONG way down...

5. Disconnected

6. FWX
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1927 on: March 28, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »
Parallels
Inside Out
I am a fan of the more immediate/melodic side of FW. 

I agree, Brent. They have played many styles, but they truly excelled with these two albums, which is weird, because that's usually a backwards argument from me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1928 on: March 28, 2020, 07:42:30 PM »
APSOG
A Twist of Fate
Disconnected
Theories of Flight
Winter Ethereal
Sympathetic Resonance
FWX
Inside Out
Darkness in a Different Light

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: March 29, 2020, 05:33:00 AM »
Parallels
Inside Out
Theories of Flight
Disconnected
FWX
APSOG
DIADL
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1930 on: April 03, 2020, 05:07:27 AM »
Disconnected
Parallels
APSOG
Theories of Flight
FWX
DIADL
Inside Out

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1931 on: May 13, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »
Ray on twitter

https://twitter.com/realrayalder/status/1260523950725115904

It’s official, the vocals for Fates Warning’s 13th album are done. 13 songs in 12 days. It was quite the adventure. I’ll tell you about it sometime... @fateswarning @joey_vera @bjarzombek

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1932 on: May 13, 2020, 01:31:04 PM »
Ray on twitter

It’s official, the vocals for Fates Warning’s 13th album are done. 13 songs in 12 days. It was quite the adventure. I’ll tell you about it sometime... @fateswarning @joey_vera @bjarzombek

Seriously...can't wait!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1933 on: May 13, 2020, 03:13:39 PM »
Ray on twitter

Oh wow, that's a nice surprise.  Can't wait

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1934 on: May 13, 2020, 05:03:48 PM »
Suh-weeeeeet!!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1935 on: May 13, 2020, 11:23:22 PM »
Yay!
13 songs, all with vocals, seems like quite a lot. Especially for a band with ones averaging 5+ minutes. But I'll take it!
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: May 13, 2020, 11:49:03 PM »
Yay!
13 songs, all with vocals, seems like quite a lot. Especially for a band with ones averaging 5+ minutes. But I'll take it!

May include a bonus track or two perhaps?

Offline Bentower

« Reply #1937 on: May 14, 2020, 01:53:30 AM »
Yeah, it'll probably be a 2-disc fare that's been typical of Inside Out Music lately.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1938 on: May 14, 2020, 05:23:22 AM »
Yeah, it'll probably be a 2-disc fare that's been typical of Inside Out Music lately.

Fates went back to Metal Blade. Super stoked for this album. Curious if they will switch it up a bit. Bobby J contributed to a couple of songs according to his FB post.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:27 AM »
Metal Blade.....interesting.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1940 on: May 14, 2020, 07:43:57 AM »
Very excited.

My guess on the 13 songs is, perhaps they have a few more rippers that are 3:30-4 minutes, and maybe a couple of real long tracks.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to this. Three of my favorite bands, Fates Warning, Armored Saint, Unleash the Archers all coming out with new music this year (hopefully, if the dates don't get pushed into 2021 because of all this COVID stuff).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1941 on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
Very excited.

My guess on the 13 songs is, perhaps they have a few more rippers that are 3:30-4 minutes, and maybe a couple of real long tracks.

Yes. But it seems like Fates likes to switch their sound a bit every 2 albums. So we'll see what they will come out with. I'm expecting it to be a bit more diverse and less balls to the walls like Theories was (so far it's my favorite FW album).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1942 on: May 14, 2020, 10:18:59 AM »
I'm curious what everyone would rank as their favorite Fates song (or top 5 songs if you can't pick just one) of the 21st Century (i.e., Diconnected, FWX, DIADL and TOF).

For me it's And Yet It Moves, and it isn't close.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1943 on: May 14, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
Still Remains

Offline T-ski

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1945 on: May 14, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
Still Remains, but The Light and Shade of Things is very very very close to overtaking it. It's insane how they keep putting out these songs so late in their career. Don't know any band that does that.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1946 on: May 14, 2020, 02:02:13 PM »
I don't know that I really have one favorite Fates Warning song.  Still Remains and Light and Shade are up there though.

Very happy about the new album news. :)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: May 14, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »
Light and Shade would easily get my pick for best Fates song of the 21st century

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: May 14, 2020, 02:14:27 PM »
Light and Shade would easily get my pick for best Fates song of the 21st century

Yep, I agree 100%. Amazing song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1949 on: May 14, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »
Light and Shade is a close 2nd for me as well.

Although I would put both Relentless and Cheyenne above it still.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1950 on: May 14, 2020, 02:35:30 PM »

What are Relentless and Cheyenne?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1951 on: May 14, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »

From the John Arch EP with Jim Matheos and Mike Portnoy. This was released a few years before the Arch Matheos "Sympathetic Resonance" album. You should definitely check it out. Portnoy's drumming is jaw-dropping on Relentless.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1952 on: May 14, 2020, 02:38:59 PM »
Hard for me to pick one. "Still Remains" is probably it. But I have to admit that "A Handful of Doubt" and "One Thousand Fires" are up there. It's funny, I love "The Light and Shade of Things." But the one thing that knocks it down a little for me is the chorus. I don't care for the cadence of it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1953 on: May 14, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »

From the John Arch EP with Jim Matheos and Mike Portnoy. This was released a few years before the Arch Matheos "Sympathetic Resonance" album. You should definitely check it out. Portnoy's drumming is jaw-dropping on Relentless.

Thanks.  I've heard the songs, although I don't remember them.  Couldn't hang with Arch's singing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1954 on: May 17, 2020, 04:27:27 AM »

Yep, I agree 100%. Amazing song.

If I’d made it one round further in Indi’s roulette, this was gonna be my submission. It’s my fave FW song
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1955 on: May 17, 2020, 08:31:25 AM »
Hard for me to pick one. "Still Remains" is probably it. But I have to admit that "A Handful of Doubt" and "One Thousand Fires" are up there. It's funny, I love "The Light and Shade of Things." But the one thing that knocks it down a little for me is the chorus. I don't care for the cadence of it.

Ironically the chorus, or at least the second half of it, is a huge part of what makes me adore TLASOT so much. It's one of Ray's most inspired vocal melodies ever IMO. The whole song is masterful though. :metal

Very excited.

Yes. But it seems like Fates likes to switch their sound a bit every 2 albums. So we'll see what they will come out with. I'm expecting it to be a bit more diverse and less balls to the walls like Theories was (so far it's my favorite FW album).

Yeah, I'm very curious to find out what sort of direction the band goes in with this album. I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit after being head over heels for Theories. :lol

That said, I really hope they let Michael Abdow write a song or two on the album, or at least contribute more solos this time around. I love Frank Aresti, but at this point, I think Michael's more than earned his place in the band's lineup and his solo in White Flag was monstrously great.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: May 17, 2020, 10:56:08 AM »
I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit after being head over heels for Theories. :lol
Same. Like, no way they could beat Theories of Flight, right? Except, what if they could?  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1957 on: May 17, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »
I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit after being head over heels for Theories. :lol
Same. Like, no way they could beat Theories of Flight, right? Except, what if they could?  :lol

My thoughts exactly. I'm mostly curious how Ray will sound on this one, because while he was alright on DiaDL and Redemption's The Art of Loss, he was beyond terrific on Theories.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: May 17, 2020, 12:22:00 PM »
He sounded like fifteen years were taken off his voice, it was insane. Interviewers asked about it even! If he's back to "normal" I don't mind, but I hope he connects to the material in the same way as he did on Theories.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: May 17, 2020, 07:01:02 PM »

Ironically the chorus, or at least the second half of it, is a huge part of what makes me adore TLASOT so much. It's one of Ray's most inspired vocal melodies ever IMO. The whole song is masterful though. :metal

Very excited.

Yeah, I'm very curious to find out what sort of direction the band goes in with this album. I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit after being head over heels for Theories. :lol

That said, I really hope they let Michael Abdow write a song or two on the album, or at least contribute more solos this time around. I love Frank Aresti, but at this point, I think Michael's more than earned his place in the band's lineup and his solo in White Flag was monstrously great.

I hope Michael does get a couple more solo spots, but I hope Frank still does a couple of guest solos too.  Frank's guitar playing is still an important part to Fates Warning IMO and I hope he still has at least a couple of solos.