Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 310731 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1890 on: October 15, 2019, 10:35:24 AM »
His solo album Tuesday the Sky is great if you like post-rock and it's very soundscape oriented.

What's "post-rock"?

I don't "get" A Pleasant Shade of Grey and I feel like I'm missing out.  :sad: It doesn't strike anything with me, it's just... dull.

I absolutely love APSOG, but I get this perspective, and even I'm admit that the first half of the album has a fair amount of "sameness."  For me, the album really kicks it into the stratosphere with Part VIII to the end.

I just remembered I own a Jim Matheos solo album on cd that I have never listened to.  Not even ounce.  Wouldn't even know the name of it, I just know I have it.

I have what I think is his first solo album, First Impressions.  It's all acoustic/classical guitar with violin and/or cello.  Really good stuff when you're in the right mood.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1891 on: October 15, 2019, 11:32:39 AM »
His solo album Tuesday the Sky is great if you like post-rock and it's very soundscape oriented.
I fangirl over this project because it is very good and features Kevin, obviously, but for one bonus reason.

Kevin Moore spent the second half of the 90's writing for his solo project Chroma Key, and he selected a number of these songs and reworked/rerecorded them for Chroma Key's first album in 1998.

I always wondered if there was anyone at all (except all of two dozen Kevin Moore fans who congregate mostly on this forum  :P) who cared about the songs that were left off the album, because some of them were really good. But even the finished albums are very obscure.

One of my favorite songs in this pile of demos is called Wednesday The Sky.

So it's cool Jim cares about these songs and remembers them and maybe even listens to this one every now and then. Warms my heart.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1892 on: October 15, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
Mora:

I'm a HUUUUGE KM fan. I've been a Patreon contributor since he started that (only artist I support in Patreon) and have most of his CD rarities (signed copies of Shine), a radio show he did (can't remember the details..), etc. My personal favorite is Dead Air for Radios and OSI (my favorite is their last record). There is a lot of cool stuff in the music he is releasing at Patreon.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1893 on: October 15, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »
The more time goes on the more I realize just how much I absolutely adore Jim Matheos as a songwriter and guitarist. I have my preferences, but Fates Warning have been consistently fantastic forever now.

Arch material has some great stuff, but wasn't quite all there yet, and PS wasn't quite fully adapting to Alder yet.

But then you have a string of great albums, including two top tier works in Parallels and A Pleasant Shade of Gray, made all the better by just how different they were. After that I personally love both Disconnected and FWX. Darkness is perhaps a minor step down, but then they return with an album of the year with Theories.

Add to that the fact that the Arch/Matheos discs are amazing and that the first two OSI albums are also two favorites of mine and Jim really is one of my favorite songwriters.

And they are still killer live as well.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1894 on: October 16, 2019, 05:06:11 AM »
Jim has been my favorite guitar player and songwriting ever since I discovered him.

Stuff like The road goes on forever, island in the stream and at fates hand just knock me on my ass emotionally. And that just naming a few.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1895 on: October 16, 2019, 05:07:24 AM »
Mora:

I'm a HUUUUGE KM fan. I've been a Patreon contributor since he started that (only artist I support in Patreon) and have most of his CD rarities (signed copies of Shine), a radio show he did (can't remember the details..), etc. My personal favorite is Dead Air for Radios and OSI (my favorite is their last record). There is a lot of cool stuff in the music he is releasing at Patreon.
Love all of these, too  :heart it makes it so much better that Jim really loves and respects his music. They have one of the coolest musical partnerships ever - when the Patreon demos are rerecorded/mixed/mastered and the album comes out, bet you that Jim will record guitar for some album tracks too,

The more time goes on the more I realize just how much I absolutely adore Jim Matheos as a songwriter and guitarist. I have my preferences, but Fates Warning have been consistently fantastic forever now.

Arch material has some great stuff, but wasn't quite all there yet, and PS wasn't quite fully adapting to Alder yet.

But then you have a string of great albums, including two top tier works in Parallels and A Pleasant Shade of Gray, made all the better by just how different they were. After that I personally love both Disconnected and FWX. Darkness is perhaps a minor step down, but then they return with an album of the year with Theories.

Add to that the fact that the Arch/Matheos discs are amazing and that the first two OSI albums are also two favorites of mine and Jim really is one of my favorite songwriters.

Same, man. Jim is so underrated. I think he should be rated as high as Steven Wilson, though he would probably find that amount of attention tiresome. But the elements are all there. An immense string of albums in his main band, longevity, genre versatility in his projects, the attention he gives to minute details like setting up the tracklist and the sound of the albums... he's real.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1896 on: October 16, 2019, 07:23:18 AM »

Pretty much my sentiment about Jim. Disconnected, FWX and Theories are my favorite FW albums. Jim has become pretty much my favorite songwriter in the last ten years.

Mora: Personally, I think Jim tops Steven. That's a personal preference but Steven's best output has been HCE but his other solo offerings have been a bit underwhelming. With Porcupine Tree, imo, he had more "music palette" to choose from and again, my thoughts, made him a better writer.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1897 on: October 16, 2019, 08:26:14 AM »
Mora:

The Radio Show is Memory Hole 1. I love that, hearing peoples comments and along with his soundscapes makes some of them more impactful, Why Is It? Is a good one.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1898 on: October 16, 2019, 08:30:29 AM »
Mora:

The Radio Show is Memory Hole 1. I love that, hearing peoples comments and along with his soundscapes makes some of them more impactful, Why Is It? Is a good one.

That's the one. Thanks for the reminder. Jim and Kevin are masters at setting up the mood for a song. That's one of the things I love about them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1899 on: October 16, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »

. . .

This is the great thing about a band like FW (same with DT).  Everyone has favorites.  I think Disconnected and FWX were the clunkers and that DIADL is significantly better than TOF,   But all of the highlighted stuff is so true.

And I'd argue that they're better now than they were in the late 80s.  I first saw them tour for Perfect Symmetry, and Ray's voice was REALLY rough.  When I met them in the parking lot and Ray was sucking on a cigarette, I knew why.  When he quit that and started singing in the sweet spot of his range (rather than shooting so frequently for the top part that he couldn't hit consistently), he became a much better singer (and he was a favorite of mine from the first time I spun No Exit).  Jim is a great songwriter and player who has such a unique perspective on things.  I wish Frank had stuck around and become more active in writing.  I dug Joe, but Joey is really an upgrade, and Bobby is a worthy successor to Mark.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1900 on: October 19, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »

All of this. Jim Matheos continues to amaze me. While so many of our favorite bands peak and then hit that steady decline, Fates Warning and all its incarnations continues to blow me away. After all these decades and great past work, Theories of Flight might be their best album. And Arch / Matheos is basically a reincarnation or early FW, only much much better. 

Yes Arch is an acquired taste, but I think he’s learned to rein in the oversinging and phrase his vocal lines so that they’re not quite as all over the place as you hear on Awaken the Guardian.

Bobby Jarzombek on drums doesn’t hurt matters either. He works to bring the band into the 21st century. As much as I love  Mark Zonder, he was a little .... out there.

For me, this is like the golden age of Fates Warning.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1901 on: October 21, 2019, 03:06:41 PM »

All of this. Jim Matheos continues to amaze me. While so many of our favorite bands peak and then hit that steady decline, Fates Warning and all its incarnations continues to blow me away. After all these decades and great past work, Theories of Flight might be their best album. And Arch / Matheos is basically a reincarnation or early FW, only much much better. 

Yes Arch is an acquired taste, but I think he’s learned to rein in the oversinging and phrase his vocal lines so that they’re not quite as all over the place as you hear on Awaken the Guardian.

Bobby Jarzombek on drums doesn’t hurt matters either. He works to bring the band into the 21st century. As much as I love  Mark Zonder, he was a little .... out there.

For me, this is like the golden age of Fates Warning.

G - I couldn't have said it better. Totally their golden age. And Nick is dead on about Jim.

Bobby brings a more metal vibe to Fates. Which I think in this era, better suits things. Zonder is awesome. But Bobby's playing is both heavy and nuanced. I think Zonder was perfect for the headspace Jim was in, in the late 90s, and early 2000s. But modern Fates has its perfect drummer, who does everything in the catalog justice and then some.

I am really excited for the new Fates record, and I'm glad they went forward with doing one. As an aside, I'm still waiting for Ray's solo album to arrive (did the CD/LP combo pre-order on Laser's Edge), but when I hear Promised Land be mentioned as a sort of vibe of sorts, that got my ears perked up. Can't wait to listen. The first tracks he shared were great.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: February 20, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
*bump*

Fates touring guitarist Mike Abdow has a new album coming out. It is called Heart Signal - https://www.michaelabdow.com/

Crossing my fingers Fates has a new album and tour ready to roll in the fall.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1903 on: March 21, 2020, 07:25:51 AM »
Just doing some cross thread promotion for The Riot Discography & Listening Party Thread:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54957.0

For fans of Bobby Jarzombek, we will begin his tenure with the band on Monday with Thundersteel
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1904 on: March 25, 2020, 03:16:05 AM »

I've always considered Disconnected a classic.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1905 on: March 25, 2020, 05:56:29 AM »
Joey posted in his FB that he finished the Armored Saint record and he is going to start recordingbass tracks for the new FW record. Stoked!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1906 on: March 25, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »

Agreed.  I think it even outdoes APSOG.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1907 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »

For me, it easily does. I love APSOG, but I think Disconnected just has overall better songs in "Still Remains" and "One" in particular. It's a bit more accessible, but still totally progressive at the same time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1908 on: March 26, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »

I've always considered Disconnected an EP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1909 on: March 26, 2020, 10:05:14 PM »

For me, it easily does. I love APSOG, but I think Disconnected just has overall better songs in "Still Remains" and "One" in particular. It's a bit more accessible, but still totally progressive at the same time.

A late grower for me was Something from Nothing.    The slow build up of atmosphere in that song is one of the most amazing things JM has ever done.   There's so many little things happening in that buildup.   It has to be played at full volume to be fully appreciated.   It's something you can deeply immerse yourself in.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: March 27, 2020, 12:28:06 AM »

Please not again Tim.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1911 on: March 27, 2020, 12:29:23 AM »

A late grower for me was Something from Nothing.    The slow build up of atmosphere in that song is one of the most amazing things JM has ever done.   There's so many little things happening in that buildup.   It has to be played at full volume to be fully appreciated.   It's something you can deeply immerse yourself in.

The whole album was a massive grower for me.  But the whole thing is just bloody brilliant.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1912 on: March 27, 2020, 10:15:32 AM »

Please not again Tim.

Yeah dude, we're "so tired" of this.  ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1913 on: March 27, 2020, 10:30:27 AM »
Oh have we had this discussion before?

I like Disconnected. Just feels a bit short.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1914 on: March 27, 2020, 10:37:48 AM »
The only nice thing I can say about Disconnected is that it's better than FWX.

Even when you exclude the completely pointless two parts of "Disconnected," it's 44 minutes long.  Short for a CD-era album but not really an EP.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1915 on: March 27, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
Disconnected is amazing. When I rank the FW catalog, I often have a hard time not ranking it #2 behind APSOG.

Still Remains alone makes it a staple; it's probably the greatest piece Jim ever composed.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1916 on: March 27, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »

Even when you exclude the completely pointless two parts of "Disconnected," it's 44 minutes long.  Short for a CD-era album but not really an EP.

Oh man, I LOVE Disconnected Part 2!!! Again...totally about building atmosphere. Must be cranked up to be fully appreciated. Playing that song is like the same feeling I get when my subwoofers are cranked up for the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park...but like, sustain that feeling for 6 minutes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1917 on: March 27, 2020, 01:02:48 PM »

Oh man, I LOVE Disconnected Part 2!!! Again...totally about building atmosphere. Must be cranked up to be fully appreciated. Playing that song is like the same feeling I get when my subwoofers are cranked up for the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park...but like, sustain that feeling for 6 minutes.

That's the only way to really feel that atmosphere. A good Subwoofer makes Disconnected PT.2 hit you hard.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: March 27, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »

YES! Glad someone else shares that same thought about that particular song. Incredible piece of work.

Also agree with you and Ben on D pt. 2! TURN IT UP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1919 on: March 27, 2020, 02:55:46 PM »
Oh have we had this discussion before?

I like Disconnected. Just feels a bit short.

Yeah, you've mentioned it before haha.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1920 on: March 28, 2020, 09:12:06 AM »
If I ranked albums post-Parallels (sorry I can't even rank all of the Ray era together, let alone all of them, these albums are so different), for me it goes like this:

Disconnected
APSOG
Parallels
Theories of Flight (sometimes above Parallels)
Inside Out
FWX
Darkness in a different light

I'm sorry, I like Kevin Moore too much not to put the album most clearly influenced by him on the top. He played on APSOG, yes, and it was incredible. But Disconnected has his playing and just that bit of something extra.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1921 on: March 28, 2020, 09:21:35 AM »
Mine would be

Disconnected
Theories of Flight
APSOG
Parallels
DIADL
FWX

Pretty funny because 2 of my top 5 songs are from FWX (Wish) and DIADL (Falling Further).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1922 on: March 28, 2020, 09:47:23 AM »
Mine would be

Disconnected
Theories of Flight
APSOG
Parallels
DIADL
FWX

Pretty funny because 2 of my top 5 songs are from FWX (Wish) and DIADL (Falling Further).

That would be my list as well. Though my favorites from FWX would be Crawl and Left Here.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: March 28, 2020, 03:27:46 PM »
Ben -- your post-Parallels list includes Parallels?  :lol

Mine (POST-Parallels - heh) would go:

Theories of Flight
Disconnected
APSOG
Darkness in a Different Light
FWX
Inside Out

Don't get me wrong, I love them all, but if forced to list em, it probably goes like that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1924 on: March 28, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
Ben -- your post-Parallels list includes Parallels?  :lol

Mine (POST-Parallels - heh) would go:

Theories of Flight
Disconnected
APSOG
Darkness in a Different Light
FWX
Inside Out

Don't get me wrong, I love them all, but if forced to list em, it probably goes like that.

Haha. That's funny, was going off of Mora's post. Just take it out and that's mine.