Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 311342 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1750 on: February 19, 2019, 08:29:22 AM »
yeah I kind of agree per I found the Arch/Matheos album a lot better than Darkness in a Different Light.

Whereas Theories of Flight is awesome.

I just hope Jim includes enough of his best songwriting for both albums coming soon. otherwise, I would have been fine with them taking a little more time on the next Fates album.

My guess is, Jim has been inspired, and Ray must be inspired by the new music (as Ray has stepped up in writing a lot of lyrics). All good news. I can't wait! So pumped to see them live again. And it sounds like, with a new record in 2020, there may be a support tour (again, I guess) for 2020/2021. Bring on new Fates tunes!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1751 on: February 19, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
The 1st Arch Matheos was supposed to be a Fates album but Ray didn't like the direction or was unavailable at that time. So Jim contact John to see if he was interested and it snowballed from there.

The Arch Matheos was a full progressive metal assault instrumentally. Very heavy, while Darkness was a bit more dynamic and song oriented (Ray has always liked a more song oriented approach). Theories of Flight was a perfect balance (for me anyways) between the full prog metal approach and still keep the song oriented feeling. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1752 on: February 19, 2019, 11:52:41 AM »
I would really love to see more Frank Aresti involvement -- both from a playing standpoint and a songwriting standpoint.  He had no writing credits on TOF and only one co-writing credit on DIADL.  I know he's only really active as a musician now and then, but I have to believe he's got a few ideas stored up, and I like his soloing better than Jim's.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1753 on: February 19, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
I would really love to see more Frank Aresti involvement -- both from a playing standpoint and a songwriting standpoint.  He had no writing credits on TOF and only one co-writing credit on DIADL.  I know he's only really active as a musician now and then, but I have to believe he's got a few ideas stored up, and I like his soloing better than Jim's.

Interesting...I like Jim's soloing more than Frank. Frank seems to be more a shredder soloist where Jim is the opposite.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1754 on: February 19, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »

Interesting...I like Jim's soloing more than Frank. Frank seems to be more a shredder soloist where Jim is the opposite.

I love Jim's work too.  It's just that Frank comes up with some really unique stuff that I really dig (e.g., Static Acts and Monument).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1755 on: February 19, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
I saw Frank at the DIADL tour stop in San Fran six years ago. He was there before the show and we took pics and talked. Turns out, he lives out here now, and his job keeps him really busy. He guested that night during the encore (Still Remains). From what I understand, he's always welcome to take part in things. But his time is limited. I think he's still in the music industry, but on the business side. But I could be wrong.

We had a laugh because before he moved out to Cali, he lived in the town on Long Island where I was born. So I joked with him how he really needs to stop stalking me. Going coast-to-coast is a little too much. He was laughing pretty hard. Hell of a nice guy. And one incredible guitarist.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1756 on: February 19, 2019, 02:00:03 PM »
I saw Frank at the DIADL tour stop in San Fran six years ago. He was there before the show and we took pics and talked. Turns out, he lives out here now, and his job keeps him really busy. He guested that night during the encore (Still Remains). From what I understand, he's always welcome to take part in things. But his time is limited. I think he's still in the music industry, but on the business side. But I could be wrong.

We had a laugh because before he moved out to Cali, he lived in the town on Long Island where I was born. So I joked with him how he really needs to stop stalking me. Going coast-to-coast is a little too much. He was laughing pretty hard. Hell of a nice guy. And one incredible guitarist.

Yup.  Frank works for Dunlop (and previous for D'Addario, although I don't know if that was in the SFO area).  I met him (and the rest of FW) after a show in 1989.  They were all very cool guys.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: February 19, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Funny story about Frank is that I saw him at a FW show on Long Island in like 2011.  Talked for a bit and got a pic with him, etc.  Then, the very next morning, I'm driving to work and I'm at a red light a few blocks from my job in a totally different town from where the show was.  I glance over at the car next to me at the red light and it was Frank!  I didn't beep or wave, because I didn't want to freak him out, but that was two sightings in two days after never having seen him before then or since then, lol.  I later realized that a D'Addario building was near my job, so he was probably heading there. :laugh:     
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: February 20, 2019, 09:12:26 PM »

All of this, totally agree.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1759 on: February 27, 2019, 02:18:43 AM »
The band it's back to Metal Blade records

I'm actually a little surprised by this, but I'm still pumped to hear new FW in 2020! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1760 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
FW tends to alternate. They do one album deals with both Metal Blade and Inside Out, and have great relationships with both labels.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: March 03, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »
SET LIST SPOILERS BELOW

Looks like Fates is getting 8 songs, probably 45 minutes, based on the setlist:

From the Rooftops
Life in Still Water
One
APSOG PT. IV III
Seven Stars
Pieces of Me
Falling Further
The Light and Shade of Things

>>>>>>>>>>>I like this as the opening set. I wonder if Fates will rotate tunes. I hope so, since I'll be going to a couple of the opening appearances, and capping it off with a headline gig.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:32:25 AM by Samsara »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1762 on: March 03, 2019, 12:08:00 PM »
Great setlist :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: March 04, 2019, 08:33:00 AM »
Correction above to setlist. Someone had it incorrect.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1764 on: March 05, 2019, 04:28:37 PM »
NOT a big fan of that set list.  Everything is good, but the only song that really jumps out is Falling Further.  Between that and the less that glowing reviews of Queensryche (along with a set list that doesn't really appeal to me), I'll be passing on this tour and waiting for whatever they do after the next album is released.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1765 on: March 06, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »
No Monument? Interesting, that's probably the song they've played the most over the years.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: March 06, 2019, 08:03:56 AM »
Excited for FW's opening set this weekend in NYC, but I could do without "One" and "Life in Still Water."  They played those songs the last 4-5 times I've seen them.  I'd love to hear songs like "And Yet It Moves" or "White Flag."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:23:02 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: March 06, 2019, 08:21:44 AM »
Really glad they are doing Falling Further. But yeah, it would be nice if they mixed up the set list a little bit. A lot of those songs play well live, but anyone who has seen Fates over the last two record cycles has seen 'em.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1768 on: March 06, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »
Hey, It's my first time seeing them live, and really glad Queensryche brought them along. It's the only way they would come here in town. I'll take what I can get. Maybe, I can catch them after the show or at the merch and chat with Ray again. See if he remembers me from the ProgPower after show party.

Edit: I really hope last nights set is what they play here.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:23:37 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1769 on: March 06, 2019, 10:47:56 AM »
No Monument? Interesting, that's probably the song they've played the most over the years.

Setlist.fm has the top 10 most frequently played songs as follows:

1. The Eleventh Hour
2/3. Monument/Point of View
4. Life in Still Water
5. APSOG III
6. Through Different Eyes
7. One
8. APSOG XI
9. Quietus
10. Still Remains

That means the current set list includes 4 of the top 10 most frequently performed songs, 3 songs that were staples on the tour for the most recent album, and Falling Further.
 And yes, I realize that Setlist.fm is missing some data from the early years.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1770 on: March 08, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
Another headline show tonight. Friend of mine will be there, and he was at the QR/FW show last night. He was told Fates is playing a two-hour set tonight at their headline gig. Should be cool. I know Nick and a bunch of others are going. Enjoy!  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1771 on: March 08, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »
Another headline show tonight. Friend of mine will be there, and he was at the QR/FW show last night. He was told Fates is playing a two-hour set tonight at their headline gig. Should be cool. I know Nick and a bunch of others are going. Enjoy!  :metal

Looking forward to seeing that gentleman tonight as well as tomorrow. Happy to hear we're getting such a big set tonight, and with a great opener to boot!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: March 08, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »

Looking forward to seeing that gentleman tonight as well as tomorrow. Happy to hear we're getting such a big set tonight, and with a great opener to boot!

Give him a good punch in the arm for me.  :lol Or at the very least, he hates pictures, so take a picture of the two of you and text me. LOL. Yep, the opener kicks ass. Going to be a great show. Have fun bud!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1773 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:05 PM »

Give him a good punch in the arm for me.  :lol Or at the very least, he hates pictures, so take a picture of the two of you and text me. LOL. Yep, the opener kicks ass. Going to be a great show. Have fun bud!

Unfortunately didn't see this till getting home now. Will try for punch and picture tomorrow.

Fates was everything I've come to expect. Going to be so sad to see them go off tomorrow after just 45 minutes.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1774 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:08 AM »
Why they had an opening band last night and Fates had only a 45 minute set is mindboggling.   At least I got to see The Light and Shade of Things.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: March 11, 2019, 10:20:27 AM »
Why they had an opening band last night and Fates had only a 45 minute set is mindboggling.   At least I got to see The Light and Shade of Things.

I think either Nick, or someone else said it -- The Cringe likely paid to play on select dates. That money goes to Queensryche. So yeah, it sucks, because I want more Fates, but I guess the Cringe paying to play (I assume) helps finance the tour costs.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: March 11, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »
At Saturday night's show in NYC, FW didn't even play "The Light and Shade of Things."  :-\

Setlist was...
From the Rooftops
One
A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Part III
Seven Stars
Pieces of Me
Firefly
The Eleventh Hour
Point of View

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: March 11, 2019, 10:34:49 AM »
At Saturday night's show in NYC, FW didn't even play "The Light and Shade of Things."  :-\

Setlist was...
From the Rooftops
One
A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Part III
Seven Stars
Pieces of Me
Firefly
The Eleventh Hour
Point of View

They inserted The Eleventh Hour instead. And flipped out Falling Further for Firefly, I think.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1778 on: March 11, 2019, 10:37:20 AM »

I think either Nick, or someone else said it -- The Cringe likely paid to play on select dates. That money goes to Queensryche. So yeah, it sucks, because I want more Fates, but I guess the Cringe paying to play (I assume) helps finance the tour costs.

I get it.  As a fan though seeing an opening act play 2 covers irked me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1779 on: March 17, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
bump.

The Minnesota show was last night, my review is here.

Probably the biggest thing about the show, besides the fact it had been 18 years since they played in MN, was the unexpected appearance of Joe DiBiase on The Eleventh Hour.

Also, I grabbed a set list afterwards, and it said "Falling" was on there, and not Firefly. But unless my ears deceived me, they played Firefly as the lone track from Darkness.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1780 on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:31 PM »
I forgot to mention I spoke with Jason, Fates Warning's merch guy and he mentioned Arch / Matheos shot a video like 2 weeks ago, which suggests that along with stuff about their new record may not be too far away.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1781 on: March 20, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
Yeah, they shot it at the Sellersville Theater prior to that gig. John Arch was there, and also the following night in NYC.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1782 on: March 22, 2019, 07:33:54 AM »
Stoked for tonight..hometown gig for Bobby and Ray in San Antonio  :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: March 22, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »
Stoked for tonight..hometown gig for Bobby and Ray in San Antonio  :metal

:metal :metal

One more week for me. Can't wait. Then I get three gigs in a row.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1784 on: March 23, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
This was probably the best Fates show I’ve seem. The band was on full cylinders. Ray’s voice was great and really held up. The band was having a blast and I really felt they upstaged QR by a lot. Did the M&G and asked about thei label change and Jim basically said it is a two album deal and they wanted to be back with the guy that gave them their break (Brian Slagel). I did tell him that Fates got a nod in the Ming’s X book and his eyes lit up. Is Jim a King’s X fan?

Everybody was cool and great to talk to. Joey said they should be starting the writing for the next Fates record. He and Bobby played in two or three songs for the upcoming Arch Matheos.