Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight  (Read 150000 times)

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
  • AnybodyListening.net
    • AnybodyListening.net - The Ultimate Guide to Queensr˙che's Original Lineup!
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1715 on: August 18, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »
We've been talking about it in the Arch/Matheos thread!  :metal

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=19796.msg2464740#msg2464740
AnybodyListening.net - The Ultimate Guide to Queensr˙che's Original Lineup

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1716 on: August 18, 2018, 08:53:19 PM »
From the Arch/Matheos Metalblade Facebook page:

Metal Blade Records
Arch / Matheos re-signs with Metal Blade Records; begins work on new album

Metal Blade Records has proudly re-signed Arch/Matheos for a worldwide deal!
Arch/Matheos began as a reunion between founding Fates Warning members John Arch (vocals) and Jim Matheos (guitar), who hadn't collaborated since John Arch's solo EP, A Twist Of Fate (2003) - and hadn't fully collaborated for a whole album since Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian (1986). In 2010, the duo began working on a record together and brought along three Fates Warning members to the fold. The five members would in turn release their debut album Sympathetic Resonance in 2011, under the name Arch/Matheos.
Since then, John Arch and Jim Matheos have kept busy with their other projects - but now the time has come for them to join forces once again, for a new Arch/Matheos release, due out 2019 via Metal Blade Records.

John Arch comments: "The desire and commitment from both of us is first and foremost, but the impetus to move forward with another A/M project fell in good part on how well 'Sympathetic Resonance' was received, and how the fans have continued to show their support through a variety of mediums, stating they would like a follow-up effort. The timing for Jim and I seems to be right and things are coming along nicely. We look forward to sharing the results with you soon!"

Jim Matheos adds: "It's great to be working with my old friend John Arch again. We push each other creatively in ways that brings out the best in both of us, I think. We've come up with what I hope is a worthy successor to 'Sympathetic Resonance', and a great lineup of musicians to help us bring it to fruition."

Already featuring special guests Thomas Lang, Bobby Jarzombek, Baard Kolstad, Mark Zonder, Matt Lynch, Steve Di Giorgio, Joey Vera, Sean Malone, Joe DiBiase, and Frank Aresti - with more to come! - this upcoming Arch/Matheos album is currently being tracked, with Jens Bogren (Fates Warning, Opeth, Devin Townsend, etc.) handling mixing duties in November. Stay tuned for more news coming soon!

Ray Alder had told me that in one of the interviews I did with him a couple of weeks ago, but asked that it would be removed from the interview, because it was too soon to mention that to the press. And regarding other members of the band, let's just say they won't be quiet waiting for Arch/Matheos to record and tour. Some of them are recording things already, and that's why when I asked about a new FW album, Ray said in the last intervew,  "IF we have one".

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #1717 on: August 18, 2018, 09:18:06 PM »
I've met Jim a few times now, and there is one thing I can say for certain.....he is an *extremely* private man.   

Jim strikes me as the kind of guy who is an artist, but also a business man.   In other words, I don't think he lets the other people he's working with know what he is up to.   If Kevin's available, he works on OSI.  If John's available, he does Arch/Matheos.  If he gets a whim, he might do a solo album.  Then the next time there is an opening in the schedule, he does an FW album.    He just likes to stay busy and call the shots, and let everyone else know that the next time he has a spot in his schedule, he will call them.     He runs his business, and he calls in the hired guns he needs to do the product he's feeling at that point in his life.   From the POV of the hired guns, I can understand how that might be frustrating.  But honestly, I don't think it's personal with Jim.   He's just in complete control of what artistic project he's going to do next.

Of course, this is all speculation....I could be wrong.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1718 on: August 19, 2018, 08:21:34 AM »
This has been in the works for a while. I asked Jim what’s next for him after the ToF last US leg and told me he was working on secret project.

I think FW will release something maybe late next year or 2020. The band gained massive momentum on the ToF release. I dont think Jim will let the momentum die as like in the FWX release cycle were it took them many years to tour  and released Darkness.

I do think he is looking for an artistic break from FW and this could mean this Arch Matheos album and possibly another OSI or post-rock album..and then after that he would get in Fates writing mode.

Also, keep in mind that Jim has been in prog metal mode for some time and maybe he wants to switch gears a bit with the next Fates release since the 1st Arch Matheos was intended to be a FW album. Maybe this A/M will be a but different musically.
"There's no way in hell that John Petrucci's gonna do something that sucks.  It just doesn't happen." - Jordan Rudess

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Shopping Cart Apologist
« Reply #1719 on: September 10, 2018, 10:41:41 AM »
Just got Live Over Europe over the weekend.  I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but just from disk 1:  Wow!  Great performance.  Even the older songs that I don't really care for sound great.  And I have no problem with editing together different shows to make it sound like one continuous live show.  One of my earliest live album purchases, Scorpions' World Wide Live, was that format (although with the addition of lots of studio touch-ups, if I'm not mistaken).  This just sounds great, and is a very good selection of songs.  The lack of any liner notes whatsoever is a bit strange, but whatever.  I'm really glad to have a solid live release from these guys, finally (I still need to go back and find that live in Athens release from a little while back).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1720 on: September 10, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
That's weird, bosk. My edition has a stapled in booklet with photos and liner notes.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Shopping Cart Apologist
« Reply #1721 on: September 10, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »
Oh, actually mine does have that page.  Sorry.  The pages sort of stuck together and I didn't realize that was there.  I thought it was only pics. 

Just went through the tracks and kind of spot-checked the album representation.  If I am not missing something, looks like a pretty good representation of most of their albums, with only the first three not being represented.  And I LOVE that X, Darkness, and Theories have a total of 9 songs.  As I've mentioned, I am pretty far from the "typical" Fates Warning fan in that, while I could say I liked the odd song or two per album through the years, nothing every really grabbed me up until X.  My fandom is really centered mostly around their three most recent albums.  So this is a great live collection for me.

On another note, I love how heavy these songs all sound on this release.  Even songs that I don't necessarily think of us heavy just seem to have a lot more oomph and edge to them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 11:45:49 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
  • AnybodyListening.net
« Reply #1722 on: September 10, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
That's due in large part to Mike Abdow translating keyboard parts to guitar, along with Bobby's more metal style. It was a great tour. Really fortunate to see two gigs on the last leg, and three total over the last two album tour cycles.

And personally, I am also very glad the covered the last three albums well on this. I love the old stuff, but I also very much love the new stuff. Some of my all-time favorite FW songs are from the last three records, with a few captured here (although I still wish they would have included One Thousand Fires).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1723 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »
I wish they had done more from DiaDL and less from Parallels.  "I Am" and "Into the Black" are killer.  I also wish they had done "Falling Further" instead of "Falling" (and, frankly, I wish "Falling Further" had been the album track and "Falling" the bonus cut).

All that said, getting a live version of "And Yet It Moves" is, by itself, almost worth the price of admission, and including "Monument" and "Pale Fire" makes this a real treat.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
  • AnybodyListening.net
« Reply #1724 on: September 10, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »
I wish they had done more from DiaDL and less from Parallels.  "I Am" and "Into the Black" are killer.  I also wish they had done "Falling Further" instead of "Falling" (and, frankly, I wish "Falling Further" had been the album track and "Falling" the bonus cut).

All that said, getting a live version of "And Yet It Moves" is, by itself, almost worth the price of admission, and including "Monument" and "Pale Fire" makes this a real treat.

P - I was really lucky. I saw them soundcheck AYIM in San Diego, in prep for the tour. It was funny as hell, because out walks Ray, and he had to look up the lyrics on his phone. LOL. Check it out:

https://youtu.be/203YJniZDXY

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #1725 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:09 PM »
Great video, Sam.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D