Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 310717 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1470 on: October 17, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
Wait till you listen to "The Light and Shade of Things" off Theories of Flight.  I'm a big fan of every FW album and song, but this is my favorite song out of their entire discography.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1471 on: October 17, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
Theories of Flight was my album of the year last year.  And that should be saying something coming from someone who (1) wouldn't really consider themselves a Fates Warning "fan" and (2) had previously never not voted Dream Theater in a release year as having album of the year going back through SFAM.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1472 on: October 17, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »
Sidenote, if you're gonna go into Vanden Plas (something I fully support as their 1997 - 2006 period is among the best, albeit a little more traditional, prog metal, imo), you must check out their singer's solo band Abydos as well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1473 on: October 17, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
Sounds like Theories of Flight is where it's at. How does this band (apparently) get better with age? Sheesh. I'll likely put it on tonight at the gym.

Sidenote, if you're gonna go into Vanden Plas (something I fully support as their 1997 - 2006 period is among the best, albeit a little more traditional, prog metal, imo), you must check out their singer's solo band Abydos as well.

I actually ordered Beyond Daylight last week and it should be in my mailbox right now - if not, hopefully tomorrow - along with some other CDs. And I like Christ 0 a lot, too. Like Arch/Matheos after FW, I'll remember to check out Abydos after VP  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline emtee

« Reply #1474 on: October 17, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
Here is Jarzombek showing his studio work on Arch/Matheos. This is part 1. He has 2 more parts that you can click on.

The dude is a monster on the drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgVu9lMter4

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1475 on: October 17, 2017, 01:58:00 PM »
Kattleox, it's cool that you are discovering Fates Warning!  Such a great band.

I go back to late 91/early 92 with these guys.  I saw the video for Point of View on Headbangers Ball and I was hooked.  Ended up buying Parallels on cassette in early 92, and then later getting The Spectre Within and Perfect Symmetry.  Fates Warning was actually how I ended up discovering Dream Theater.  I remember seeing James' name in the liner notes for Parallels, and then Kevin Moore as the keyboardist on At Fates Hands, and I knew I would have to keep an eye out for them as well.  Being a drummer, Mark Zonder's drumming was a huge deal for me back then, and I still find his drumming to be some of the most unique and left-of-center metal drumming ever.  I never really got into their John Arch stuff, though I need to remedy that and grab Awaken the Guardian as well as A Twist of Fate and Arch/Matheos.  Some random thoughts:

-Inside Out is by far my least favorite of the Alder era.  Felt to me like it was Parallels left-overs, save Monument, which is one of their all time best tunes.

-Loved APSOG when it came out, now, not quite as much.  However, the live performance on Still Life really takes it up a notch for me.

-Disconnected is awesome top to bottom, and Still Remains is the best thing they've ever written.

-A Handful of Doubt is the best track on X. 

-Darkness in a Different Light was a cool return, but the lead guitar tones were weak.

-Theories of Flight is amazing, and for me, up with Parallels and Disconnected as my top three.

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: October 17, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
@romdrums... I did some quick Metal Archives sleuthing just now after reading your post. I had no idea KevMo was involved with two of the band's albums, and lyrics on a later song. Small world... surprised I didn't know that, guess I'm not as big a KevMo fan as I previously thought. :)

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the band now that I'm catching up. What do all of you think about the change from Arch to Alder, and the shift in style? When do you think they really got a hold on the prog side of their music; if you were following them in the 80s and 90s, what did you think of their progression with each album? Why was there such a drought in material between FWX and Darkness... and why did Mark Zonder leave the band?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1477 on: October 17, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
I heard Ray era Fates Warning first, and listened to the Arch stuff later. I'm a much bigger fan of the Ray era not only prefer his voice but I prefer the music as well.

I think the departure of Mark Zonder had a little to do with the long hiatus, but also during that time Ray was in Redemption and Jim Matheos was doing other stuff as well. I remember reading an interview where he said they never intended for it to be 9 years, but it just kinda happened.

Even though Theories of Flight was not my album of the year,  it's a fantastic album and The Light and Shade of Things was definitely my favorite song of the year.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1478 on: October 17, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
When Alder joined, it shifted Fates toward a more melodic prog metal style, one that I personally prefer.

Musically, the journey is mostly Jim Matheos'. Just like any songwriter who has been lucky enough to helm a band in this genre (Chris DeGarmo from Queensryche 1981-1997, John Petrucci from Dream THeater, etc.), the band musically emulates the natural evolution of the main guy(s).

Jim is really into ambient music, and if you checked out his solo stuff, you'd easily hear it. I love the way Fates has evolved, honestly. For me personally, I got into them a little later, so I had the luxury of doing what you're doing now, back in 2004 (I got into them in 2003). It's a hell of a ride, and they are continually getting better.

I also like this current lineup a great deal. I think Bobby brings a metal tinge to the band that it needs to balance out the melodic approach. Loved Zonder, but he was more of a feel guy. Guitar-wise, it is all Jim really, after Inside Out. There are a few solos here and there from others, but mostly all Jim.

I prefer when that is spread out with Frank Aresti. I think Aresti and Matheos really have distinct styles that really make the guitar tandem dynamic (much like original lineup Queensryche). On this last record, Aresti did...I think two solos, with Mike Abdow (touring lead player) doing one. They sound great. Just wish it was even more.

Aresti doesn't tour with them due to work considerations. Abdow is a New England guy who is incredible. Hell of a nice guy (they both are). But Fates is the four guys (Matheos-Alder-Vera-Jazormbek - apologies to Bobby on misspelling his name), plus Abdow as a touring member.

But the live lineup is STRONG, and studio-wise, I don't think Ray has sounded better since Parallels. After seeing them in 2003 twice with opening sets for QR/DT, I saw them in 2013 once, and Ray was great. Looking forward to January, when I see them twice as headliners. I am sure they will be just as powerful.

Re: Theories of Flight - I actually like Seven Stars the best. But The Light and Shade of Things is certainly in the top-3 or 4.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: October 17, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
Ah, so FW is Matheos's baby, essentially. That's cool. I like bands that have a consistent 'leader' so to speak. I love ambient music so his solo stuff sounds interesting, I'm absolutely gonna check that out. Now I'm hoping I get a chance to see these guys live before it's too late (not that I have to worry about that, they seem like they're still going strong as hell).

I know Bobby's drumming, oddly, from an incredibly obscure project called Zierler. His drumming is amazing, so is that album, highly recommended to any prog metal fans who don't know them. It's a bizarre hour-or-more of challenging metal.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: October 17, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
The band evolved. Matheos started the group, and was always one of the major songwriters. But after Arch left, and then moreso after Perfect Symmetry, it evolved that way, yeah. Just recently Ray Alder has been the primary lyricist. Ray wrote most of the lyrics on Darkness in a Different LIght and Theories of Flight. Whereas before, Jim wrote a lot of lyrics. That's been a more recent shift.

I'm not sure of the business structure of the band, but if I had to guess, I'd guess both Jim and Ray are the main two guys.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1481 on: October 17, 2017, 04:25:47 PM »
Ah, so FW is Matheos's baby, essentially. That's cool. I like bands that have a consistent 'leader' so to speak. I love ambient music so his solo stuff sounds interesting, I'm absolutely gonna check that out. Now I'm hoping I get a chance to see these guys live before it's too late (not that I have to worry about that, they seem like they're still going strong as hell).

I know Bobby's drumming, oddly, from an incredibly obscure project called Zierler. His drumming is amazing, so is that album, highly recommended to any prog metal fans who don't know them. It's a bizarre hour-or-more of challenging metal.

I have Zierler and it's outstanding. Bobby's drumming is the highlight for me. He signed my Zierler copy during this last run of FW gigs in Texas.

You guys have to watch the documentary on the recording on Parallels. Pretty good stuff on how the band used to write.

As Samsara said, lyrics have been shifted to Ray and Matheos has been able to write some amazing music for Fates and outside of Fates. Tuesday the Sky is his post-rock project and it is pretty impressive. The last two OSI albums have been heavier and there's some great songs written with Moore there. Arch-Matheos' Sympathetic Resonance was just a home run overall. I think his shift to concentrate more on the music rather than the lyrics has been reflected on his last album recordings, whereas on  Paralles, PS, and Inside Out, you can see he was kind of pressured when writing lyrics. I think he addresses this on the Parallels DVD.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1482 on: October 17, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
Firewings OMG what's the Rush? Slow down. Take your time. Get to know the albums. They'll still be here tomorrow. :)

:lol I love this band! I usually have a problem diving into bands with decades of material because if I dwell on a particular album, I am always dogged by this nagging thought: "What else am I missing out on? What's the other stuff sound like?" instead of focusing on the music. This way I can be familiar with all the albums, then I can zero in on one or two at a time from there. I had to take the very same approach with Helloween, Iced Earth, even Dream Theater once upon a time! I need to do it with Vanden Plas and Queensryche next...

Also I'm almost finished with Darkness In A Different Light, so... might as well go to Theories of Flight at the gym tonight  :lol :lol :lol
I suppose that makes sense. I almost always need more time to absorb a new album - if I listen to something once, I could well dislike it, I very very rarely think it's great or have enough of an opinion to compare it to other albums by the same band. I don't think I could say I was familiar with all of the albums just listening once.  However, what I sometimes will do, is go on an obsessive quest to own all of their material as soon as possible - even if I know full well I'm not going to listen to all of it right away. :)

Don't do it with Queensryche - I don't mean don't ever do it, just don't do it next.  I think I've already given you a few recommendations, not that you have to listen to me.  :)   (And they are quite different from FW and QR).  Also, how familiar are you with Rush?  'Cuz if you're not, you got some some work to do... :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1483 on: October 17, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »

Jim is really into ambient music, and if you checked out his solo stuff, you'd easily hear it. I love the way Fates has evolved, honestly. For me personally, I got into them a little later, so I had the luxury of doing what you're doing now, back in 2004 (I got into them in 2003). It's a hell of a ride, and they are continually getting better.
This was me, except I started getting into them in 2002.  Did you get into them because of the tour they did with DT and Queensryche?  For me, it was because someone gave me a cd with an FW track on it.

I prefer when that is spread out with Frank Aresti. I think Aresti and Matheos really have distinct styles that really make the guitar tandem dynamic (much like original lineup Queensryche). On this last record, Aresti did...I think two solos, with Mike Abdow (touring lead player) doing one. They sound great. Just wish it was even more.
I miss Aresti.  I dunno why, but I love watching him play.  Mike Abdow does a fine job.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1484 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
If only someone had suggested that you go see them live when they toured earlier this year....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »
If only someone had suggested that you go see them live when they toured earlier this year....

... oops  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1486 on: October 17, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »
Firewings OMG what's the Rush? Slow down. Take your time. Get to know the albums. They'll still be here tomorrow. :)

:lol I love this band! I usually have a problem diving into bands with decades of material because if I dwell on a particular album, I am always dogged by this nagging thought: "What else am I missing out on? What's the other stuff sound like?" instead of focusing on the music. This way I can be familiar with all the albums, then I can zero in on one or two at a time from there. I had to take the very same approach with Helloween, Iced Earth, even Dream Theater once upon a time! I need to do it with Vanden Plas and Queensryche next...

Also I'm almost finished with Darkness In A Different Light, so... might as well go to Theories of Flight at the gym tonight  :lol :lol :lol
I suppose that makes sense. I almost always need more time to absorb a new album - if I listen to something once, I could well dislike it, I very very rarely think it's great or have enough of an opinion to compare it to other albums by the same band. I don't think I could say I was familiar with all of the albums just listening once.  However, what I sometimes will do, is go on an obsessive quest to own all of their material as soon as possible - even if I know full well I'm not going to listen to all of it right away. :)

Don't do it with Queensryche - I don't mean don't ever do it, just don't do it next.  I think I've already given you a few recommendations, not that you have to listen to me.  :)   (And they are quite different from FW and QR).  Also, how familiar are you with Rush?  'Cuz if you're not, you got some some work to do... :)

VP is definitely next after I hear Arch/Matheos, and then maybe Leprous/Queensryche/something else. :) I have four Rush albums but I don't know them well and don't know anything they've done in 30 years except Roll The Bones and I have nothing good to say about that song or the video. I don't mind Rush but they (from the albums I own) don't do much for me.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1487 on: October 17, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »

VP is definitely next after I hear Arch/Matheos, and then maybe Leprous/Queensryche/something else. :) I have four Rush albums but I don't know them well and don't know anything they've done in 30 years except Roll The Bones and I have nothing good to say about that song or the video. I don't mind Rush but they (from the albums I own) don't do much for me.

2112, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures and Signals. Do those four albums and you'll be hooked.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1488 on: October 17, 2017, 07:51:30 PM »
2112, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures and Signals. Do those four albums and you'll be hooked.

Hey, I like Signals as much as anybody, but I would NEVER start anyone there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1489 on: October 17, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »

Which albums do you own?  Whichever ones they are, if you don't like them, you probably just haven't listened to them enough... :)   I'd be very curious if you started from the beginning with them and worked your way through, but I wouldn't suggest speed listening.  Even if you (foolishly) decide you don't like them, you'll have a better idea of where DT came from.  JP, JM, and JLB, and MP are all big Rush fans.  And Jim Matheos.  Come on, try it. All the cool people are doing it... :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: October 17, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »
At the risk of derailing the FW thread, I dunno. I've tried to like Rush for 15 years. I can't deal with Geddy's voice. Singers tend to make or break bands for me, I have the exact same issue with Genesis and Yes. The albums I own... Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Hold Your Fire. Oh, and I've heard 2112 before. I like Temples of Syrinx? Does that count?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1491 on: October 17, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »

Hey, I like Signals as much as anybody, but I would NEVER start anyone there.

It's a toss-up between that and Hemispheres as being my favorite Rush album.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1492 on: October 17, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
At the risk of derailing the FW thread, I dunno. I've tried to like Rush for 15 years. I can't deal with Geddy's voice. Singers tend to make or break bands for me, I have the exact same issue with Genesis and Yes. The albums I own... Moving Pictures, A Farewell To Kings, Fly By Night, and Hold Your Fire. Oh, and I've heard 2112 before. I like Temples of Syrinx? Does that count?
It totally counts. If you like that, there's no reason you won't like some more. :). Not saying you have to listen to their whole catalog tomorrow, but you should so it at some point.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1493 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:54 PM »

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the band now that I'm catching up. What do all of you think about the change from Arch to Alder, and the shift in style? When do you think they really got a hold on the prog side of their music; if you were following them in the 80s and 90s, what did you think of their progression with each album? Why was there such a drought in material between FWX and Darkness... and why did Mark Zonder leave the band?

I love arch's era, but if I absolutely had to choose it would be Alder's material. Arch's stuff is fun and rocking, but the later music they made truly means a lot to me on a deeper level.

The drought between FWX and darkness was FUCKING rough...     And me of all people literally got into the band in 2004 right as FWX came out. I was all like "oh, they are so great. I can't wait to hear what they do next" cut to NINE YEARS LATER  :'(

I am also curious about why there was such a long gap

But anyway, thoughts on the latest albums discussed: 

APSOG - masterpiece, prog metal at its proggiest. I worship this album and its my favorite by FW and perhaps a top favorite album of all time  :hefdaddy

Disconnected - I think I wore out my CD from how many times I spun this one. Its a little lop sided due to the two epics, but whatever. Still remains is up there as one of my favorite FW songs. Utterly inredible and I got to hear and see that shit live son, right up in front of JIM. FUCK YEAH.

FWX- The oddball album. This is the one FW album that no other sounds like. This was my first FW album along with awaken the guardian, so i didn't have anything else to go off of really, so I just went with it.  FWX sort of has an OSI vibe to it, and took me a whole lot of time to really appreciate, but I really like it a lot now.

Darkness and Theories. They are solid. Not my favorites. I enjoyed them when they came out and I am glad there were made. I really love White flags, seven stars, One thousand fires, Firefly, and into the black.

Anyway, I can't say how happy I am that they are active again. One of my favorite bands of all time. And one last thing I wanted to say is that I love Kevin moore's involvement in the band.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:55:38 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1494 on: October 17, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »
I'm having trouble understanding APSOG's concept. Can someone shed some light for me?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1495 on: October 18, 2017, 01:25:55 AM »
I think it's just about a man contemplating his past life and (specifically) a past love.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: October 18, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »
  Did you get into them because of the tour they did with DT and Queensryche?  For me, it was because someone gave me a cd with an FW track on it.

I had always known of Fates Warning. I never checked them out, and never really saw their videos back in the day (I didn't have cable regularly, so no MTV). My wife was absolutely flabbergasted when I told her I had never listened to Fates Warning. She wasn't an uber fan, but since we both shared a love of Queensryche, she felt it was only natural. I, stupidly, had always assumed (this should get a laugh), without hearing them, that Fates Warning was some sort of death metal band, and I wasn't interested in checking them out. Oops.  :rollin

I remember hearing "One" in 2003, live, and that sold me. Immediately. Just love the groove, love everything about it. I literally went out the next day and bought the entire catalog, and never looked back. Was lucky enough to see Fates twice on that tour. Interestingly enough, while Frank Aresti rejoined them on that tour, I didn't see Frank. I saw the QR/DT/FW tour in...I want to say it was late July, out on the West Coast. Both gigs Aresti was absent, I think because he had some work-related thing he needed to be back for. So my wife and I saw FW as a four-piece. They were two Nor Cal shows, if anyone else was there. I recall MP coming out at one of them and doing an OSI track...SHUTdown, if i remember right.

p.s. One of my biggest concert regrets was in 2006. Fates was playing two warm-up shows in So Cal before heading out to do the Rock Hard festival on June 4, 2006, in Germany.

The lineup for this tour was: Jim Matheos, Ray Alder, Joey Vera, Frank Aresti and Nick D’Virgillio
05/31/2006    Galaxy Theater. Santa Ana, California (with Three, Resistance, Hollowshell)
06/01/2006    The Knitting Factory. Hollywood, California (with Agent Steel, Ascension)

>>>>>>>>>>>I had an opportunity to see them both those shows, and just decided not to make the trek down, figuring they'd be back up North soon enough. Well, they didn't play another show near me until 7 years later in 2013 on the Darkness tour (which I attended). So this time around, in January, I'm not repeating the mistake. Going to multiple west coast shows.  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: October 18, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »

When you're ready for Queensryche, click my signature, read the history, and then hit me up via PM. I'll set you on the right path...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: October 18, 2017, 08:30:56 AM »
I listened to Tuesday the Sky last night (before heading to the gym and hearing Theories of Flight). I'm a big fan of post rock and that was some seriously good music. I played it again while I had my coffee this morning. Jim Matheos is going to be a burden on my bank account.  :lol

You got it Samsara :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1499 on: October 18, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »

When you're ready for Queensryche, click my signature, read the history, and then hit me up via PM. I'll set you on the right path...

I was going to offer something similar, but you are in good hands with Samsara.  He knows his stuff.  And his musical taste when it comes to Queensryche is mostly pretty sound.  When you get into the latter years after Promised Land, he has a few opinions that are questionable, but I forgive him for those.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1500 on: October 18, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Jim Matheos is going to be a burden on my bank account.  :lol

Yep, that's how its' been for me for many years now. He is probably my favorite all time musician. I have a man crush on the guy!

I do think Matheos has found his place with everything he is doing now. Seems like he is having a lot of fun when he is on stage now. He is smiling, making eye contact with the fans. Before this last two tours, he didn't like being on the spotlight. Kind of a not-so-extreme Robert Fripp guy.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »

I was going to offer something similar, but you are in good hands with Samsara.  He knows his stuff.  And his musical taste when it comes to Queensryche is mostly pretty sound.  When you get into the latter years after Promised Land, he has a few opinions that are questionable, but I forgive him for those.  :lol

"ALL I WANT" IS AWFUL. JUST ADMIT THIS!  :lol :lol :lol :lol

In regard to Fates Warning and this discovery trend you're on with some bands, yeah, kattelox, good luck with the bank account. I do want to say, however, it is refreshing to see someone sample some stuff, and then go buy the catalog. That's how many of us old schoolers do it. Gotta support the artists. If end up not liking it, you can always sell the CDs to a used store for credit, but still give the artist a sale.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: October 18, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »
I love (LOVE!) buying CDs, so yeah, eventually I'll have all the FW albums sitting nice and pretty on my shelves, sandwiched between Explosions In The Sky and whatever my first F albums are. Finntroll? Why did I ever buy a Finntroll album in the first place...

And yeah. I spent so many years exploring obscure power metal, black metal, etc. that I just completely skipped bands like FW and Queensryche, lots of classic rock etc.  :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1503 on: October 18, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsYwGVIgBw

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: October 18, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
Oh god, it's one of the hits! At least it's not Working Man again... EDIT: Oh, whew, it's Fates Warning  :lol :lol