Author Topic: Gentle Giant appreciation  (Read 14253 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Gentle Giant appreciation
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
I want Free Hand in 5.1.  It's my favorite.  Hopefully, Steven will get around to it.

With one voice from on direction coming out of a different channel so they surround you.
My daughter's portrait was replaced for this.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2015, 09:43:39 PM »
Oh yeah.  "On Reflection" with one voice in each corner of the room.  Then the instrumental fugue at the end, with the drums in the middle mostly, but spread around a bit.  Steven is getting very good at this.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #177 on: April 06, 2018, 01:04:44 PM »
Somehow this band popped into my mind the other day, and I've been listening to them again. Man, they were oozing prog and skill.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #178 on: April 06, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »
And they called it quits at the right time. I admire them even more for that. Some prog bands (and also outside prog) want to keep going and going even though they know the quality of their output already went downhill centuries ago..  :biggrin:

GG is from the debut to Interview, plus "Memories Of Old Days" from The Missing Piece. The rest is

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #179 on: April 06, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
Incorrect.  Most of the final album, Civilian, is very good.  Not very proggy, but good stuff.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2018, 11:59:19 PM »
I could never say what my favorite Gentle Giant song was, but now I think itís The Moon Is Down. Anyone else love that song?

Offline Max Kuehnau

« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
I'm new to the band (but I know about their importance, don't worry) and my first album of theirs may be The Power And The Glory (Steven Wilson's remix, because it has been praised)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
The Moon Is Down is moody and intense.  Those early ones with all three Shulmans got really crazy sometimes, with the winds, vocals, everything doing weird harmonies.  I don't know if I "love" the song, but I do like it and appreciate what these guys were doing.

The Power And The Glory is a good starting point, and the Steven Wilson remix is awesome.  I say go for it!

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
A really awesome band. I wouldnít rate any of their first 7 albums less than 4/5. I finally own all of them.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2018, 08:00:59 PM »
The Power And The Glory is a good starting point, and the Steven Wilson remix is awesome.  I say go for it!

I bought it yesterday and listened to it for the first time today and I agree itís a good starting point. Loved it on first listen. Playing the Game is such a fantastic song!