Author Topic: Recently just discovered Keith Urban.  (Read 116 times)

Offline lucidlydreaming

Recently just discovered Keith Urban.
« on: June 22, 2019, 10:37:16 PM »
Stumbled upon his Crossroads CMT show with John Mayer and more recently his acoustic live request video on Youtube.  Man, this guy is probably my favorite guitar player right now and I'm not even a country music fan.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: Recently just discovered Keith Urban.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »
Stumbled upon his Crossroads CMT show with John Mayer and more recently his acoustic live request video on Youtube.  Man, this guy is probably my favorite guitar player right now and I'm not even a country music fan.
My wife is a big fan (for obvious reasons).  I've seen him now four times live.

GO!

First, as a guitar player, he's the real deal, and there's always about three spots a show where it's all guitar chops.   But even beyond that, it's a fun time, and he (and his band) play every note (except a couple drum loops in certain songs), sing every note, and otherwise engage in a loose performance.

He's also very fan-friendly.  He does a spot - usually about three, four songs in - where he picks out signs in the crowd and will talk with the audience.  Twice now he's brought people on stage for their "moment in the sun", and while it sounds cheesy, he's so genuine that it works.    We try to get "pit" tickets and so twice now I've been within the first two rows, and both times he's engaged the people around me (I just stood back).  Once, during the show, he came over and played and sang to my daughter, and after the show he walks along the front of the stage singing stuff, so he signed her ticket, and she asked for a selfie; he said "sorry sweetie I can't sign and pose at the same time" so he instead held her hand while he signed the posters and tickets around her (and I got a picture from behind her).    I know this isn't about the music, but the knock on "new country" it's that it's plastic, pre-fab and calculated, and to me, having seen over 300 shows in my life, Keith Urban smacks more of older rock shows than anything else.    It's really a fun time.   

(As an aside, if you watch the Dan Rather Big Interview with him - and it's worth it - it was taped at Mohegan Sun, the afternoon of the last time I saw him live, and the night that my daughter had her "moment".)