Author Topic: Flying Colors (Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPherson)  (Read 231411 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• LotsOfMuzik
Re: Flying Colors (Morse/Morse/Portnoy/LaRue/McPherson)
« Reply #2485 on: March 20, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »
Lyrics for the new album aren't finished yet.  :facepalm:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2486 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »

Did you interview one of the guys recently or did you happen to read this somewhere? Please provide a link so that we can all  :facepalm: together
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2487 on: March 20, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
That's a very strange thing to bump this thread for with zero context whatsoever. If we're not expecting this album until late summer at the earliest, and it's only March...give them time. I'm sure they've got this.
*smash cut to a bleached white skeleton*

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #2488 on: March 20, 2019, 02:50:19 PM »
it was mentioned in Neal's inner circle newsletter

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2489 on: March 20, 2019, 02:53:37 PM »

Did you interview one of the guys recently or did you happen to read this somewhere? Please provide a link so that we can all  :facepalm: together

I believe he read it the same place I did - Neal's Inner Circle Newsletter. I typically would post the whole quote and give context, but looks like he brought it up before I could (I've been at work all day and haven't had a chance to stop and post here til now). Here's what Neal has said about it:
For me personally, I'm not even thinking about Morsefest yet because I'm in the middle of The Great Adventour and writing lyrics for the Flying Colors album still. I didn't get as many lyrics together as I had hoped to because I got inspired in other areas while on the road in the U.S.. I wrote quite a few LIFE & TIMES - type songs, just because I felt inspired. I'm sure more of the Flying Colors lyrics will be coming to me. We always have to follow our inspiration and sometimes it doesn't have a timeline, at least one that we understand. But I digress...

Seems like Neal is working on his lyrics, though I wonder if the others (particularly Casey) are also working on lyrics. I suppose the songs are all done, and Mike has tracked his drums, which probably means they all picked songs to write lyrics for, and I doubt Neal is writing ALL of the lyrics. I can't find any information online at this moment about who wrote which songs, so I can't be too sure that Neal *didn't* write all of the lyrics on the first two albums, but given how many vocalists there are, I would think that Casey, and maybe Mike, have written or contributed to the lyric-writing on the first two albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - I am running my first survivor in two years with the 4th Spock's Beard Survivor, in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!! Please keep an eye out for it!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• LotsOfMuzik
« Reply #2490 on: March 20, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »
Oh, yes, sorry. I was just a bit dissapointed and forgot to write more context

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2491 on: March 20, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
Oh, yes, sorry. I was just a bit dissapointed and forgot to write more context

It's still Mid-March, and even if they release the album in September, which sounds likely given that Neal has teased that Morsefest might get some new FC songs (which would sound enticing if the album wasn't out yet), they still have about 6 months to finish everything. Lyrics typically come late in the game of finishing an album anyway, so hopefully everyone else has their instruments tracked and sent to Rich for the mix already. I'd be more worried if they were still recording their tracks!!! Neal (and the others) can take another 2-4 months doing lyrics for all we know, and they would still be on time to roll out the album in September.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - I am running my first survivor in two years with the 4th Spock's Beard Survivor, in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!! Please keep an eye out for it!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2492 on: March 21, 2019, 02:06:39 AM »
I guess this proves how the lyrics aren't as important as some make it out to be. They've already recorded the instrumental tracks and they're just writing some words for the vocalist to make their instrument (the voice) sound vaguely coherent (ie. using words in a language that sounds vaguely like English, not necessarily in an order we understand).

Also, I checked the first two album booklets, and they're no help at all in terms of who wrote lyrics for those albums. Just the get-out clause that is "All songs written by Flying Colors". Come on, give the individual writers some credit!
*smash cut to a bleached white skeleton*

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: March 21, 2019, 05:54:27 AM »
I guess this proves how the lyrics aren't as important as some make it out to be.

That depends on the band. I remember an Interview in that metal show where JP asked Geddy how they worked writing songs and Geddy told him that Neal would bring lyrics to him and Alex and they would work the music around them.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2494 on: March 21, 2019, 06:32:23 AM »
I guess this proves how the lyrics aren't as important as some make it out to be.

That depends on the band. I remember an Interview in that metal show where JP asked Geddy how they worked writing songs and Geddy told him that Neal would bring lyrics to him and Alex and they would work the music around them.

Then Geddy would go back to Neil and try to phrase it  differently to help Geddy sing the melody he saw fit the music.
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Fritzinger

• Fritzes Musikblog
« Reply #2495 on: March 21, 2019, 06:34:16 AM »

I loved that interview. I remember watching it, wishing
1. That it would go on forever
2. That those hosts would just stfu while two Gods are talking
me desperté en un mundo con dos tipos de gente: la mas y la menos extrema

Offline MinistroRaven

• LotsOfMuzik
« Reply #2496 on: April 22, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
Neal just wrote on FB:

Writing lyrics with Casey McPherson today on Skype. Workin on FC3. Really good stuff coming!

https://www.facebook.com/nealmorse/videos/321062171914707/?lh=115ff26f2c758753dcda4f7995a17e49

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2497 on: April 22, 2019, 01:22:09 PM »
Neal just wrote on FB:

Writing lyrics with Casey McPherson today on Skype. Workin on FC3. Really good stuff coming!

https://www.facebook.com/nealmorse/videos/321062171914707/?lh=115ff26f2c758753dcda4f7995a17e49

I don't know why this popped into my head imagining that.

NM: So then during the bridge, you can say "Watch me walking away..."
CM: Yes! I can say "Watch me walking away from Jesus"
NM:.............no

That's inspired by the movie Saved! by the way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com