Author Topic: Recommend me some pre-LS Porcupine Tree v. Oh noes another PT thread...  (Read 7893 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Aight. So, I've been a little more interested in PT than usual lately, and have decided it's time to branch out of the Lightbulb Sun---> The Incident era.  What's a good album from their earlier discography?

Couple things to note: I love Insurgentes, Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun, and like everything on the Incident up until (and including) Time Flies.  In Absentia is merely "O.K.".I dislike Fear of a Blank Planet and only like selections of the Blackfield stuff.  Also, I loathe Voyage 34 for its lyrical content, so please don't recommend anything similar to that!

So recommend away!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Out of the first 4, i'd say Signify is the best and the most varied.
It has several different type of songs, Waiting & Dark Matter sounds a bit more like modern PT (but with the older touch), then masterpieces like Sever and Idiot Prayer. =)
Up the Downstair is another gem.
I would rank both these albums over In Absentia and Deadwing.

Offline RandalGraves

So this is what you've got before LS.

1. On the Sunday of Life
EP. Voyage 34
2. Up the Downstair
3. The Sky Moves Sideways
4. Signify
5. Stupid Dream

To be honest, I think all of PT's albums before Stupid Dream tend to meander about.  That's not to say they don't have good songs, they just don't have solid albums.  I think Up the Downstair has the best collection of music out of these choices (their first album proper, as On the Sunday of Life is more a collection of tunes made up to that point with no real direction).  Voyage 34 is a real test of patience.  The Sky Moves Sideways has it's moments, but again, overstays its welcome.  Signify is a nice listening experience, and would be my second recommendation, but it tends to have a lot of atmospheric filler.  For example, a song, then a track of ambient noise, another song, more noise, etc.  While Stupid Dream represents their first conventional album, even I'm not big on that.

I know there are fans who love these albums, but for me, they're interesting pieces of work before PT really pulled their shit together.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I don't think either Signify or Up the Downstair has filler-tracks, in fact i think they're more consistent then some of PT's newer albums.

Offline RandalGraves

I don't think either Signify or Up the Downstair has filler-tracks, in fact i think they're more consistent then some of PT's newer albums.

Yeah, this was really integral to the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktG7M2WT4lU

To be fair, The Incident does have some filler tracks, but they keep it at a modest length.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Light Mass Prayers isn't more of a filler then songs like Glass Arm Shattering, Collapse Light Into Earth or The Sound of Muzak. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yeah, this was really integral to the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktG7M2WT4lU

Actually, it is.  Not everything has to be a "normal" song.  A song like that adds atmosphere and character to the album.  On its own, I can see why someone would think it is boring or useless, but in the context of the album, it is just fine.

Anyway, PC, go with any of these three:

Stupid Dream
Signify
The Sky Moves Sideways

And whatever you do, do NOT go with Voyage 34 or On the Sunday of Life next.

Offline Xanthul

Light Mass Prayers isn't more of a filler then songs like Glass Arm Shattering, Collapse Light Into Earth or The Sound of Muzak. :)

Just no, man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Light Mass Prayers isn't more of a filler then songs like Glass Arm Shattering, Collapse Light Into Earth or The Sound of Muzak[/b]. :)

Just no, man.

Yeah, that makes zero sense, Zantera.  Just because you may not like those songs very much doesn't make them filler.  Regardless of quality, all three of those songs can stand alone, unlike "Light Mass Prayers," which really has to be listened to in the context of the album to really be enjoyed (at least for most).

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
In order, go with:

Up the Downstair
On the Sunday of Life (some songs are great, others are good for a laugh)
Signify
The Sky Moves Sideways
Stupid Dream
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
DO VOYAGE 34 LOL!

But honestly I would say Stupid Dream.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Light Mass Prayers isn't more of a filler then songs like Glass Arm Shattering, Collapse Light Into Earth or The Sound of Muzak[/b]. :)

Just no, man.

Yeah, that makes zero sense, Zantera.  Just because you may not like those songs very much doesn't make them filler.  Regardless of quality, all three of those songs can stand alone, unlike "Light Mass Prayers," which really has to be listened to in the context of the album to really be enjoyed (at least for most).

I can't really agree with that, except for TSoM perhaps.
Both Deadwing and In Absentia would be better without Glass Arm Shattering and Collapse Light Into Earth.

Offline RandalGraves

Just no, man.

Both Deadwing and In Absentia would be better without Glass Arm Shattering and Collapse Light Into Earth.

Hey!  This isn't the controversial opinions thread!  *Slaps knee*

To refer to what you said earlier, I think a great album can create an atmosphere without making it "Filler."  To make it feel more like a part of the experience that you could never skip.  Take a song like Arriving Somewhere . . . it spends a few moments building up, setting the tone, before really starting.  Yet it's essential to the song.  Light Mass I can skip right over, because Dark Matter already takes the time to set itself up.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Well, you have a point there.
But obviously 'filler'-tracks serve a certain purpose, i mean... if you strip down The Incident, you would end up with like 4-5 'real' songs, and the rest is some sort of intro/outro or between 2-songs.
Light Mass Prayers isn't one of the PT-songs i would listen to 3-4 times in a row by itself, but i think it's pretty essential on the album. :P

Offline RandalGraves

Well, you have a point there.
But obviously 'filler'-tracks serve a certain purpose, i mean... if you strip down The Incident, you would end up with like 4-5 'real' songs, and the rest is some sort of intro/outro or between 2-songs.
Light Mass Prayers isn't one of the PT-songs i would listen to 3-4 times in a row by itself, but i think it's pretty essential on the album. :P

I definitely understand where you're coming from.  And The Incident is definitely harder to categorize . . . I mean, it's not exactly one song, but it's not several.  I suppose that's why the term "song cycle" was applied.

As Prince once said, "If the bra fits . . . "

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
The Incident is actually a good example.
As a whole i think it's 55 fantastic minutes, not a dull moment, and overall one of the most epic-progressive 'songs'/song-cycles ever made.
Still, if you look at the individual songs, there's not many songs that i would say 'beat' their earlier version on earlier albums.
Light Mass Prayers is def. one of those songs that just 'has' to be there.
It's not a top5 PT-song, but take it away and you would loose dynamic. :P

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni

Just no, man.

Yeah, that makes zero sense, Zantera.  Just because you may not like those songs very much doesn't make them filler.  Regardless of quality, all three of those songs can stand alone, unlike "Light Mass Prayers," which really has to be listened to in the context of the album to really be enjoyed (at least for most).

Remember to use sarcasm green next time.

Anyways, I vote Signify. I love that album but can't really stand any of the ones before it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
Stupid Dream is my 2nd favorite PT album behind IA. Get it. Signify is also quite good.
caw caw

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
I´m not expert in their catalog but I would definitely go with Signify, if only to take advantage of this moment to discover a gem that is often overlooked. It has several very good songs if you listen to them individually, and listening to the whole album is a marvelous experience, too. But it is not straightforward or "catchy" at all, you have to be patient and let the songs build up and reach their climax and flow into one another.

Stupid Dream is excellent too, and can hook you inmediately, but in some way I don´t relate it to early PT that much. But you´ll probably love it.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni

Actually, it is.  Not everything has to be a "normal" song.  A song like that adds atmosphere and character to the album.  On its own, I can see why someone would think it is boring or useless, but in the context of the album, it is just fine.

Anyway, PC, go with any of these three:

Stupid Dream
Signify
The Sky Moves Sideways

And whatever you do, do NOT go with Voyage 34 or On the Sunday of Life next.

Listen to Kev

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Okay. Was thinking of getting Stupid Dream and Coma Divine.  Since I don't really have the budget to get everything they've released, I was thinking Coma Divine would cover the earlier stuff I haven't heard (Plus, I'm getting very mixed reviews about the early stuff and don't want to buy something I'm not going to like). Can anyone vouch for the quality of the performances on Coma Divine?

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
Coma Divine is their best live album.*

*Arriving Somewhere is a live DVD, not a live album.
caw caw

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Coma Divine is fantastic.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Also, I loathe Voyage 34 for its lyrical content

??? ???

Anyway, there are enough recommendations in here so I don't have much to add except that I really don't get all the Voyage 34 hate.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Well... Stupid Dream is their best album, so...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, I loathe Voyage 34 for its lyrical content

??? ???

Anyway, there are enough recommendations in here so I don't have much to add except that I really don't get all the Voyage 34 hate.

;D

I know, it's instrumental.  I guess I should have said "Spoken word samples."

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Okay, that's what I figured. I think they're great though  :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Up the Downstair and Signify are your best bets. Both albums are phenomenal.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Coma Divine is their best live album.*

*Arriving Somewhere is a live DVD, not a live album.

Coma Divine is better then Arriving Somewhere easily.
Even though AS may have a slightly better setlist, the sound & performance on CD is just amazing.
Still, i really miss songs like Dark Matter and Sever on it. (but we'll get that covered with the new DVD) :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Will the new DVD have a CD counterpoint?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Will the new DVD have a CD counterpoint?

"Deluxe special edition of Anesthetize includes a 130 minute concert film on both standard definition DVD and high definition Blu-Ray disc. Additionally, the package includes two audio CDs of the entire live film soundtrack, alongside a bonus track not featured in the film."

The bonus-track is Prodigal, the setlist on the cd:

Disc 1
1.    "Intro"      2:07
2.    "Fear of a Blank Planet"      7:34
3.    "My Ashes"      4:46
4.    "Anesthetize"      17:20
5.    "Sentimental"      5:18
6.    "Way Out of Here"      7:47
7.    "Sleep Together"      7:54
8.    "Prodigal [Bonus Track]"      6:03
58:49

Disc 2
1.    "What Happens Now?"      8:09
2.    "Normal"      7:13
3.    "Dark Matter"      8:57
4.    "Drown With Me"      5:21
5.    "Cheating the Polygraph"      8:11
6.    "Half-Light"      5:28
7.    "Sever"      5:37
8.    "Wedding Nails"      5:43
9.    "Strip the Soul/.3"      8:17
10.    "The Sleep of No Dreaming"      5:31
11.    "Halo"      8:34
77:01

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
God, I am so out of the loop. When is this coming out?? I feel ambivalent about the tracklist, but there are a few that make me :caffeine:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
God, I am so out of the loop. When is this coming out?? I feel ambivalent about the tracklist, but there are a few that make me :caffeine:
I got my copy today. :)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER

Shit, today? the premier is tomorrow and I want mine signed, did you order from burning Shed?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member

Shit, today? the premier is tomorrow and I want mine signed, did you order from burning Shed?

I ordered the normal-version from a cd-store here in Gothenburg, they said i would get my copy on the 19th, and i did. =D