Author Topic: Score + Budokan in HD  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Martinman300

Score + Budokan in HD
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
Just saw a commentary from MP who said that these shows were filmed in HD and may be released on Blu ray in the future!

Thoughts?

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
Re: Score + Budokan in HD
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »
Budokan is already pretty HD to me. Score would be awesome in HD  :)
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Holy FUCK. Yes please.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
Link?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »
Never saw the point of a concert in HD. As long as you have HDMI ungrading, then a normal DVD looks fine for a concert. How much detail do you really need of the singers chest hair? And if you're hoping you'll use the extra definition to see if JM is talking at any point, it's pointless since he's never on screen anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
I don't care about improved video as much as I do about full quality 5.1 surround, so this will be awesome.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »
Give us full-band commentary and I'll buy them in an instant! I think MP is the kind of guy who wouldn't want to re-release these videos just for the sake of technological improvements in video.

Maybe special packaging too - something to make it worth it to fans who've bought the concert videos already and, if they have Blu-Ray systems, something special for their money.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
If they were released with commentary, I'd buy them in an instant. I LOVE the band commentaries they do.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »
I don't care about improved video as much as I do about full quality 5.1 surround, so this will be awesome.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »
Pass. Bought both already. No sense in re-purchasing since my Blu-ray players already do somewhat of an upgrade on regular DVDs.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
What Nick said. Once these have high def 5.1 mixes, I'll purchase them right away (Score atleast... I'll wait for the price tag on Budokan before deciding that. :p)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »
I'd do it only if they added commentaries.

Offline Adami

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
If the commentaries were done by PoS, I'd buy it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 05:57:27 PM »
If the commentaries were done by PoS, I'd buy it.

Post of the year.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
Link please!
I hope this is true. I'd love Budokan in HD and lossless audio.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »
Would a Blu-ray disc have enough space for an isolated audio of each instrument? I know MP has his own DVDs for that, but it would be cool to watch and listen to each member only... maybe not for three hours, but it would be cool to play around with.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »
I think you guys are misunderstanding. In the MP Score drum cam dvd (I'm pretty sure its that), he says they were filmed in HD and that a future bluray release may be possible. The Score commentary was recorded in 2008, so its already been two years. He also says that its up to Rhino, not DT.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 12:56:44 PM »
I think you guys are misunderstanding. In the MP Score drum cam dvd (I'm pretty sure its that), he says they were filmed in HD and that a future bluray release may be possible. The Score commentary was recorded in 2008, so its already been two years. He also says that its up to Rhino, not DT.

Yeah that's where i heard it.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
Never saw the point of a concert in HD. As long as you have HDMI ungrading, then a normal DVD looks fine for a concert. How much detail do you really need of the singers chest hair? And if you're hoping you'll use the extra definition to see if JM is talking at any point, it's pointless since he's never on screen anyway.

Are you kidding?  Well then, what's the point in having anything in HD?  Fuck it, let's just start shooting movies on 8mm.  We don't need the extra definition.

Some of these responses are baffling.  Up-scaling is no substitute to Blu-ray.  I, personally, like my movies and concerts to look amazing on my TV.

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 02:01:44 PM »
Some movies need HD, but a music concert? I dunno, I just don't have the need to see a band playing in extremely high definition. You can blow that up to "all or nothing" if you choose, but you'd be missing the point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
The point, of a concert on DVD or Blu-ray, being to watch it?

Look, in one corner we have your DVD, which is pretty good and will suit you just fine, but over here in this corner, we have your Blu-ray, which looks so fucking amazing that it will fry your eyeballs while they're sitting in their little sockets to a melted globby mess.

What's it going to be?  Pretty good . . . or melted balls?

Jokes aside, the sound is superior as well.  After experiencing a concert on Blu-ray it's really a no-brainer.

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:48 PM »
For instance. I watch visually oriented films on blu-ray. Now, I happen to have 2 concerts on Blu Ray, and they're great, but if they weren't in high definition, you know what they would be? Equally great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 02:38:05 PM »
For instance. I watch visually oriented films on blu-ray. Now, I happen to have 2 concerts on Blu Ray, and they're great, but if they weren't in high definition, you know what they would be? Equally great.

Sure, they'd be great considering HD doesn't change the content, but it makes for a better experience.  There's no arguing against superior quality when it comes to a visual art medium like concerts and movies.

Offline Adami

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
I guess we'll just agree to disagree, I don't see HD enhancing a musical concert that isn't very visually stimulating to begin with.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 02:42:25 PM »
How can upscaling make stuff look better? its just bigger, the resolution is the same, no detail is added.

Offline Adami

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »
How can upscaling make stuff look better? its just bigger, the resolution is the same, no detail is added.

Bigger? Running it through an HDMI cable as opposed to RCA cables doesn't make it bigger.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
I think as well as the video we are forgetting the audio quality of BluRays Dolby-TrueHD/DTS-HD and all that.

I would buy any DT release on BluRay, but then again i am a little bit of a collector  :laugh:

Matt

Offline The Letter M

Offline Adami

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
I think as well as the video we are forgetting the audio quality of BluRays Dolby-TrueHD/DTS-HD and all that.

I would buy any DT release on BluRay, but then again i am a little bit of a collector  :laugh:

Matt

The sound argument is a sound one.

:D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »

It's more than that.  The primitive upscaling algorithms just rescale things to the higher resolution, but the more sophisticated ones (Oppo is the industry standard, but Denon has a pretty good one) interpolate the pixels on the fly, resulting in a much "smoother" picture and a much great illusion of added detail.  Yes, it's still illusion, but if you've ever seen a good upscaler, you cannot argue that it "just looks bigger".  It definitely looks a hell of a lot better.