Author Topic: Light Fuse and Get Away  (Read 16728 times)

Offline Rodni Demental

Re: Light Fuse and Get Away
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
"I can't see where this is going" is one of my favorite sing-alongs in DT songs  :lol I absolutely love this tune, and I although JLB's performance of it in WDADRU is good, I have another bootleg where they play the tune and JLB owns it. Man, James does seem to have bad luck in most official recordings  :P

QFT. One of these days MP should pull together a compilation DVD of all of James' strongest performances of a bunch of their classic songs.
In theory there's a bootleg floating around out there titled 'When Dream and James Unite', with James performing all of the WDADU songs (quite possibly from different shows) back during the IaW era. If Mike were to release something like that as an official bootleg, I would buy like five copies, day one.

There are 2 boots out there like that - When Dream and James Unite and When Dream and Today Unite. As for MP releasing something like that, the closest you'll come is either WDaDR or taking the official bootlegs and official releases and putting together a compilation yourself. FYI, TOWHtStS was not performed on the IaW tour - it was first performed with James during the Awake tour.

I need to find this When Dream and James Unite or When Dream and Today Unite! I've already hunted for my own bootlegs of these songs. There are plenty of decent versions of Ytse Jam, A Forunte in Lies and The Killing Hand. But some of the others are not so easy. I've come across a fairly satisfactory version of Status Seeker from the early 90s. But for the life of me, I can't find a decent version of Only a Matter or Time, even though there are a lot of versions of that song. It's just.. not good enough.  :lol

As for Light the Fuse, and Ones Who set the Sun... Those are rarities that are hard enough to even find any recording of...

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
Ok, yes I know it has an appreciation thread, but it deserves a WTF PEOPLE thread too. This is one of the greatest songs on one of DT's greatest albums (so really, one of the greatest albums ever), and I don't think I've ever heard another song ANYTHING like it.

It's freaking EVERYTHING good about music, and I've always known it doesn't get the attention it deserves for a few understandable reasons, but just today someone said to me "two worst songs of that album, which are also two of the worst songs they have ever put out" (grouped with TOWHTSTS), and that just knocked it over the edge. Are you people not listening to the bass, guitar, vocal lines, guitar, drums, keyboard, intro, verse, chorus, second verse, one of the greatest rhythmic themes ever (coupled with one of the most distortedly twisted and striking melody lines), one of the greatest variations on anything ever that they do to that theme, instrumental section, outro, bombastically explicit emotion, and energy of this song??  ??? ???

:angry: This needed to be said. One of the most distinctive songs I've ever heard jam packed with brilliant idea after brilliant idea.  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »
I agree.

That it's one of the two worst songs on WDADU, and one of the very worst songs DT has ever written. I'm not even convinced the band members are playing the same song.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2014, 11:09:08 PM »
[...]but just today someone said to me "two worst songs of that album, which are also two of the worst songs they have ever put out" (grouped with TOWHTSTS), and that just knocked it over the edge.

So, I guess you could say that it was that comment that... lit the fuse.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »
[...]but just today someone said to me "two worst songs of that album, which are also two of the worst songs they have ever put out" (grouped with TOWHTSTS), and that just knocked it over the edge.

So, I guess you could say that it was that comment that... lit the fuse.

AHWOHAAHOHAAAAAAAAOHWWOH!O!!OHEWJ!!!!!!!HAAAAAA :panicattack:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2014, 11:17:38 PM »
I like WDADU much more than the average DT fan, but LFAGA has always been my least favorite song on the album. I find the transition into the fast verse pretty clumsy and the verse itself suffers from the way the lyrics are delivered. There's also something about the chorus that puts me off. Not one of the absolute worst DT songs ever, but not one I love, either.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2014, 11:22:58 PM »
Something about early DT is just so ballsy. I guess that's the best way I could say it. I love all the albums throughout time (ADTOE is one of my top 3) but every once and a while I come across things in the modern-day DT songs that seem a little bit too held back. Just a thought.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2014, 11:35:30 PM »
Co-signing the OP's post.

Light Fuse is badass.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Hayden

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2014, 11:50:27 PM »
On a serious note, I like the song as well, and agree with the 'ballsiness' comment. The experimentation and sense of adventure to this song (and much of Dream Theater's early material) is just tremendous. But I think that the production and slightly raggedy performance is what lets it down. Unless you know what the band was trying to achieve, it can sound a bit like a jumbled mess. That's why I personally prefer the WDADReunite version, because there's just a bit more clarity to it, and ultimately displays the direction that the band were aiming.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:39 AM »
I agree with some of that.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2014, 12:47:45 AM »
I wrote that comment you mentioned and yep, I don't like the song at all. Definitely my least favourite from WDADU.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »
Sorry, I hate it as I do most of the debut album. The record put me off DT for nearly 25 years!

Offline 425

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2014, 04:49:52 AM »
That it's one of the two worst songs on WDADU, and one of the very worst songs DT has ever written. I'm not even convinced the band members are playing the same song.

To say nothing of the fact that the vocal melodies are just bad.

I'm sorry, I like WDADU, but LFAGA is just a bad song. TOWHTSTS is okay; though I don't think it lives up to its full potential, I think the chorus is very good as are some other parts. That one could have been a very good song with some smarter edits by more mature songwriters. The rest of WDADU is pretty good, even though there are some awkward parts. But LFAGA could never have been good and isn't good.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2014, 05:26:57 AM »
This is one of the greatest songs on one of DT's greatest albums (so really, one of the greatest albums ever)

This,i vote for this song on DT league,almost every time. :loser:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2014, 05:33:15 AM »
Light fuse and get away is a really good song. It would even be great if the chorus was slightly more convincing, I find it a bit repetitive. But overall, quite an underrated song, and I'd love to hear it live. However, the fact that the song has only been played about 15 times live tells me the band isn't really into it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2014, 05:41:26 AM »
However, the fact that the song has only been played about 15 times live tells me the band isn't really into it.
Yeah, the exact number is 12. The fact that it has been played only 4 times since Charlie's departure says a lot.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2014, 06:05:30 AM »
I agree.

/smacks Blob upside his head  :loser:

Gotta go with the OP that it's a great song - my personal favorite off of WDaDU, with TOWHtStS being a close second. Glad to see I'm not alone!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:02 AM »
I don't especially like it, but the 2004 added (or updated) instrumental section kicks major ass  :metal
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2014, 07:24:49 AM »
Like all of When Dream And Day Unite, it rules. I've stopped trying to understand the hate for this song and album, I just chalk it up to bad taste.  :laugh:
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Like all of When Dream And Day Unite, it rules. I've stopped trying to understand the hate for this song and album, I just chalk it up to bad taste.  :laugh:

I chalk it up to the incredibly weak songwriting. Each to his own.

Even compared to WDADU, it's not one of the good ones.
AFIL is a pretty good song from start to finish aside from some minor phrasing issues and the bridge melodies, The Ytse Jam is a cool little instrumental, TKH isn't bad for a first attempt at a longer "epic" and is redeemed with JLB singing new melodies, and Afterlife is good too aside from some typical WDADU arrangement issues.
Even though I don't like it at all, I can see how someone might enjoy OAMOT, and SS at least has a half average chorus despite the rest being very poor.
But I can't hear a single redeeming feature in TOWHTSTS or LFAGA at all. At a stretch, I can understand people finding some enjoyment in all but these two songs. They're the perfect examples of what was wrong with the album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »

:metal :tup

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
Love Kevin's lyrics in this song.  "Have you ever been used, or will this be the first time?"
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
Sloppy songwriting, one of Dominici's worse performances, not a fan but I don't hate it really.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
I actually had to go and listen to it because of this post because I don't remember what it sounds like at all.

I couldn't get past the 3rd minute. And god that transition was bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »
You want bad transitions in a DT song?  Go listen to some of the jarring ones in Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. 

Anyway, Light Fuse and Get Away is a really good song, and it has long has been one of my two favorites from this record.  3:48-3:52 (that little lightning fast breakdown before the 2nd chorus) is still one of the best DT moments ever.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »
Love Kevin's lyrics in this song.  "Have you ever been used, or will this be the first time?"
Yeah, but "no pain no gain"?
Ouch.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »
Ok, yes I know it has an appreciation thread, but it deserves a WTF PEOPLE thread too.

No, it really doesn't.  (1) As you pointed out, there is already a thread (which this one has now been merged with).  Please do not start duplicative threads.  (2) The tone of this thread is not appropriate for the forum.  People are entitled to like (or dislike) whatever they choose.  You can appreciate without attacking others who may disagree with you.

And on topic, and for the record, I like the song.  Not my favorite from the album, but not bad.  I rank it in the upper half.  It could perhaps be as high as #2 on the album if not for a few clunky things that don't work for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »
Ouch.

I know, right?  Who does that in a song? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsqpKhzAg9A
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
Light Fuse And Get Away is my second favorite from WDADU.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »
Ouch.

Actually, the correct lyrics are "No gain, no pain". Meaning, if you don't bother getting anything real out of it, you won't get hurt.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »
This Light Fuse thread pops up periodically, and once again I'll join with those defending this song.   Love the progressive elements and blend of styles - definitely a dramatic exploration of music circa 1989.   Seeing it live just about blew me away. 

Offline billybobjoe1881

« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
I just listened to it, and payed attention to it for the first time, and it's a great song. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
"I can see where this is going."  - Charlie Dominici's ex-girlfriend

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »
Actually, the correct lyrics are "No gain, no pain". Meaning, if you don't bother getting anything real out of it, you won't get hurt.

This. I think a lot of people miss out on the point of this song and write it off as clumsy, this lyric is kind of a symbol of that.

And okay Bosk, I get it. I'd still like to say, I want to specifically call it out as not only under-appreciated, but also not well understood and not given a fair chance by many people simply because of its obscurity; people don't even seem to know it well.