Author Topic: Light Fuse and Get Away  (Read 16712 times)

Online Dream Team

Re: Light Fuse and Get Away
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 02:14:51 PM »
3:50-3:53

This is still one of the best moments in DT history.  :hat

Will have to check this out on the way home, but I am assuming it is the bass & drum spot during the bridge . . .

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
I listened to WDADU all the way through today, twice.  Music is good, but I think Charlie's voice actually bugs me more the more I hear it.  I was thinking maybe I'd get used to it after a while, but it just doesn't seem to happen.
I understand completely.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 04:29:30 PM »

Will have to check this out on the way home, but I am assuming it is the bass & drum spot during the bridge . . .

It is the little breakdown before the second chorus.  I have a feeling you are talking about the same part. :metal

Online Dream Team

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »

It is the little breakdown before the second chorus.  I have a feeling you are talking about the same part. :metal

Yes, very nice. And I really miss the rhythm section dynamic MP and JM had on that record.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 07:19:11 AM »
Awesome song.  But, I think Status Seeker and The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun are the sleepers on WDADU. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »
Yes, very nice. And I really miss the rhythm section dynamic MP and JM had on that record.

Myung's sad bass lines are just incredible.  It really is impressive how technically great Petrucci, Myung, Portnoy and Moore all were at such young ages on that record.

Offline wasp2020

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 07:06:09 PM »
The instrumental riff sections are crazy, the solo section is really atmospheric, and the vocal sections are plain groovy and catchy.
And even though it's so short, I think that one voice clip fits so perfectly

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 05:51:32 AM »
Funny thing is im listining to it right now and holy shit !! I have come back to this cd at least 100 times since i bought it in the early 90's and now all of a sudden i LIKE it WTF!!
I always like light fuse , fortune and Ytse but now im really enjoying this cd for the first time ever without cringing from the vocals
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 06:00:10 AM by EstyMaJ »

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 07:26:24 AM »
I really like the whole CD. Charlie I enjoy Charlie (not more than James) as well. The quality issue is why I rarely listen to it.

Most of my music listening is on my iPod. I make a play list hit random and like to forget about fussing with it. But with all those songs being quieter than the rest... you get my point.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 08:00:55 AM »
I really like the whole CD. Charlie I enjoy Charlie (not more than James) as well. The quality issue is why I rarely listen to it.

Most of my music listening is on my iPod. I make a play list hit random and like to forget about fussing with it. But with all those songs being quieter than the rest... you get my point.
Do you use or ever hear of the program mp3 gain ? Its pretty good for makeing all your mp3's volume gain even .

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
Thank you. I shall look into this.

Offline Neada

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 02:49:54 PM »
As for me, I like The One Who Help to Set The Sun.
But I like this track, too.

Offline TL

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 03:05:23 PM »
"I can't see where this is going" is one of my favorite sing-alongs in DT songs  :lol I absolutely love this tune, and I although JLB's performance of it in WDADRU is good, I have another bootleg where they play the tune and JLB owns it. Man, James does seem to have bad luck in most official recordings  :P

QFT. One of these days MP should pull together a compilation DVD of all of James' strongest performances of a bunch of their classic songs.
In theory there's a bootleg floating around out there titled 'When Dream and James Unite', with James performing all of the WDADU songs (quite possibly from different shows) back during the IaW era. If Mike were to release something like that as an official bootleg, I would buy like five copies, day one.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 04:08:44 PM »
"I can't see where this is going" is one of my favorite sing-alongs in DT songs  :lol I absolutely love this tune, and I although JLB's performance of it in WDADRU is good, I have another bootleg where they play the tune and JLB owns it. Man, James does seem to have bad luck in most official recordings  :P

QFT. One of these days MP should pull together a compilation DVD of all of James' strongest performances of a bunch of their classic songs.
In theory there's a bootleg floating around out there titled 'When Dream and James Unite', with James performing all of the WDADU songs (quite possibly from different shows) back during the IaW era. If Mike were to release something like that as an official bootleg, I would buy like five copies, day one.

There are 2 boots out there like that - When Dream and James Unite and When Dream and Today Unite. As for MP releasing something like that, the closest you'll come is either WDaDR or taking the official bootlegs and official releases and putting together a compilation yourself. FYI, TOWHtStS was not performed on the IaW tour - it was first performed with James during the Awake tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:10 AM »
"Someone told me...light fuse and get away!"

So good. :hat

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
JLB's rendition is pretty brutal to listen to on WDADRU.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2011, 08:57:03 AM »
Maybe its because of the poor production or more likely.....Charlies vocals but I always consider WDADU as the 'demo album'.
Images & Words will always be the 1st album in my DT world.

In terms of the song, some great ideas and slick playing.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 09:01:53 AM »
I really love this song and the album as a whole.  I have never had a problem with Charlie's voice personally.  I actually can't stand some of the live records I've heard of LaBrie doing some of the vocals (the end of Killing Hand on LatM especially).  There are definitely lines were LaBrie's voice is preferable though.

Offline Algo Fonix

• The Generic Dr. Pepper
  • DT.net Member
  • Pretty tired
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »
It's really hard for me to decide if it's one of my favorites on WDADU or not... because I love all of the songs so much.  I remember hearing it for the first time and really digging the intro.  Great song.  I have this strange love for all of the majesty-wdadu era music.  Just has that raw ferocity and beauty that is lost on anything afterwards.  Maybe I just enjoy the production?  Bad as it sounds, I think it's a pretty damn awesome album, and a great debut.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »
I'm surprised how many people like this tune. For me it suffers from the cut-and-paste nature of the song.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »
"Someone told me...light fuse and get away!"

So good. :hat
Just pointing this out.  :biggrin:

The groove in this song is nothing but amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ħ

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »
Coming in here to say it's my third least favorite song.  :biggrin:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jsem

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
Great song. BrotherH can suck it

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
Light Fuse and Get Away is easily my favourite from WDADU. Such a fucking cool song.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 02:44:17 PM »
Just a great album. Underappreciated and overlooked. The weak part is the vocals but it's still great. And a great song. Absolutely all over the place musically, but in a good way.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »
this song both bugs the shit out of me and makes me a very happy Jay
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »
Not in my top half of the album, but an awesome song and one that is as underrated as the rest of the debut.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Occasional_Madman

• A danger to myself
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2011, 11:58:06 PM »
It's really hard for me to decide if it's one of my favorites on WDADU or not... because I love all of the songs so much.  I remember hearing it for the first time and really digging the intro.  Great song.  I have this strange love for all of the majesty-wdadu era music.  Just has that raw ferocity and beauty that is lost on anything afterwards.  Maybe I just enjoy the production?  Bad as it sounds, I think it's a pretty damn awesome album, and a great debut.

I feel the same way about all their early material. There's just this sort of wild playing that doesn't appear on anything else they've done. I find this most evident in JMX's bass playing. I mean, on every single song he has his own unique part that he's playing. It's rare that he doubles what JP's doing on this album. I've always loved that about WDADU.
So many things I think about,
When I look far away
Things I know, Things I wonder
Things I'd like to say...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2011, 11:33:10 PM »
My favorite from this album too!  Maybe because it is oft kicked to the side, it makes it a rare treat to hear live (like Scotty, i was also fortunate in 2004).

Its an awkward song that takes some time to wrap your hands around, which is completely why I love listening to DT.  Sometimes prog is a two way street wherein the listener must actively participate in slowly digesting the elements of a song.  Thus, I appreciate it all the more.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
JLB's rendition is pretty brutal to listen to on WDADRU.

I just listened to it, and while brutal is not the word I would use, it definitely appears as if this song was one that was meant for Charlie's voice; JLB doesn't have the vocal style to really pull off this song well, which could explain its lack of play over the years.  Plus, that live version musically just didn't have the great vibe the original had; they just weren't able to nail some of the little nuances that makes the studio version so cool, probably because they have barely played it live, so it isn't as ingrained in their minds and fingers as most of their other songs. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
But WD&DU isn't my least favourite album, I really like it! I think people often overlook it because of Charlie's vocals and the bad production.
Holy shit, a post by a 15-year-old Captain Obvious! :rollin

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
But WD&DU isn't my least favourite album, I really like it! I think people often overlook it because of Charlie's vocals and the bad production.
Holy shit, a post by a 15-year-old Captain Obvious! :rollin

:rollin I laughed at that as well.

I used to think this was my least favourite DT song, but it grew on me a bit. It's still my least favourite from WDADU though. I think the intro drags for too long before the first verse enters, but after that point the song doesn't drag. It's actually pretty decent from that point on, and someone mentioned the ambient section right after the second chorus, before the solo section. REALLY good part there.

Offline Cable

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2013, 07:35:04 AM »
To me, one of the better songs on WDADU. Lyrics are obvious but very good IMO.
---

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
Best intro to a song on WDADU. I just love it. I remember listening to that intro over and over when I bought the CD.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
A thread related to WDADU, well here I am. :lol

The entire instrumental section from 4:15-5:41 gives me goosebumps. It's like a chill that lasts for a minute and a half. First it's the effects-laden keyboards that surround me, than it's the catchy drum lines underneath, than it's the great guitar solo (my 2nd favorite next to Afterlife). It's one of those musical moments where things like production quality go out the window. It's one of those times where I can simply enjoy what is happening without worrying about the finer details.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.