Author Topic: Islamic community center to go up near New York's ground zero  (Read 30057 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Mosque to go up near New York's ground zero
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 01:17:33 PM »
I somehow also have the suspicion that the people who get all riled up are somewhere sitting in some tiny hamlet hundreds of miles away from Ground Zero. There's nothing better than getting riled up about something that will in no way whatsoever affect you. (gay marriage, anyone?)

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
That doesn't make sense.  How can you be for religious freedom, but be against the building of a house of worship on private property?  Just because you have a soured view toward religion doesn't mean other people shouldn't be allowed to practice in peace.

I’m for religious freedom but against religion. Not really sure how that doesn’t make sense. I’m also against the uneducated, that doesn’t mean I want make post-secondary mandatory or that I hate the people who are uneducated. That would be stupid.

Actually, I really like the concept of this project in general... it would be nice if we could encourage more understanding between the Muslim and western world.

Don’t like the project but I do agree more understanding is needed.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »
That doesn't make sense.  How can you be for religious freedom, but be against the building of a house of worship on private property?  Just because you have a soured view toward religion doesn't mean other people shouldn't be allowed to practice in peace.

I’m for religious freedom but against religion. Not really sure how that doesn’t make sense. I’m also against the uneducated, that doesn’t mean I want make post-secondary mandatory or that I hate the people who are uneducated. That would be stupid.

That still doesn't make sense to me at all.  How can you be for religious freedom but be against the building of houses of worship on private property?  Let me allow you to clarify:  If you had your choice, would this project be illegal?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »

That still doesn't make sense to me at all.  How can you be for religious freedom but be against the building of houses of worship on private property?  Let me allow you to clarify:  If you had your choice, would this project be illegal?
No.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »
Ground Zero Muslim Center may get public financing
Oh boy, this oughta be great!  I love it.

I'd also like to call attention to Metty's post, which seemed to have been overlooked, but is remarkably sensible. 
From a Muslim stand point I find it unnecessary to provoke emotions of simple minded people who don't know the difference between the psychotic mass murdering extremists and our religion, this reminds me of the South Park thing even though I don't think the current situation is intentional, just inconsiderate, but basically it's an uncalled for poke at something that's healing slowly.
So I'm against it and I don't think it has anything to do with freedom, we can't freedom this and freedom that at every turn, there has to be considerations imo.
If I were affiliated with Islam, this is probably exactly what I'd think, as well. 

However, I'm not and I absolutely relish the thought of antagonizing the dipshits who don't know the difference.  Fuck 'em.  Plus, it actually creates a damned interesting competition.  We're actually going to get to watch a footrace to see who get's to blow up the other religions shrine first.  I initially thought that anybody who officed in the "freedom tower" was suicidal.  But at this point, I'd give pretty good odds that the Christians blow up the mosque first.  What a world!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »
Thanks Obama! :tdwn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »
What the hell does Obama have to do with it?  His only involvement whatsoever was an absolutely textbook display of political non-speak. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
What the hell does Obama have to do with it?  His only involvement whatsoever was an absolutely textbook display of political non-speak. 

That's because Obama is a dirty muslim.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »

lol I love when people randomly blame politicians for things with no cause, it makes me rofl in real life.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 07:06:41 PM »

Stupid Obama, who has nothing to do with this at all. Blasted Muslims acting within their rights as United States citizens, to erect a mosque. Not only act within their rights to build a mosque but take advantage of something that every other religious organization takes advantage of. DAMN OBAMA!!

:neverusethis:   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »
I don't want to turn this into a Repub/Dem thing but George Bush would've said No F##king Way! Let these poor families know that someone f##king cares about them. This is not the right place to put this.. end of f##king story!

His only involvement whatsoever was an absolutely textbook display of political non-speak. 

It's more than political non speak. I still think most people would like to think that The President has their back. On this issue, he clearly showed that he does not.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
Except, you know, the muslims.

I'm honestly baffled that you're so against it. I just can't fathom in my head why someone would give so much of a shit about this considering how overblown it is. This whole issue is so blatantly stupid because people are actually against a non disruptive place of worship. If anyone gets offended that it happens to be near the WTC site that's their problem. What's the acceptable "let's not disrespect the families" line? 5 blocks? 10 blocks? I can't be the only one who thinks this is ridiculous. It's not like they wanted to build the damn thing on the WTC site.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 07:26:10 PM by orcus116 »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »

Muslims aren't american. How many are there in america anyway? 3? 4? Should we really piss off the 99.999% of the population by granting freedom to 4 people? Seems unamerican to me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
It's nothing against Muslims, there's 100 mosques in NYC. It's Ground Zero that is the issue. Fuck the mayor too. He's for it as well. Even if they lose a legal battle, stick up for the people.

Maybe Obama is worried about pissing off our Mid East allies (oxymoron!) Maybe that's it.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

Muslims aren't american. How many are there in america anyway? 3? 4? Should we really piss off the 99.999% of the population by granting freedom to 4 people? Seems unamerican to me.
:rollin :rollin Adami, you're special brand of sarcasm both hurts and tickles.

Online Adami

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 07:30:40 PM »
It's nothing against Muslims, there's 100 mosques in NYC. It's Ground Zero that is the issue. Fuck the mayor too. He's for it as well. Even if they lose a legal battle, stick up for the people.

Maybe Obama is worried about pissing off our Mid East allies (oxymoron!) Maybe that's it.

Thank god we worried about not offending white people when black people were fighting for equal rights as well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »

Thank god we worried about not offending white people when black people were fighting for equal rights as well.

Adami, that's different and you know it. No one is suggesting we deny Muslims rights.

Online Adami

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »

Except for the right to build a mosque, because it makes you (and others) angry.

Should the WBC be banned from their doings? What if people are offended by any other religious act?

Adami, that's different and you know it. No one is suggesting we deny Muslims rights.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:11 PM »
Hey man, I don't agree with it that's all. Like I said, there's 100 mosques in NYC. Ground Zero is just not the right place for a new one.

Online Adami

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »
Hey man, I don't agree with it that's all. Like I said, there's 100 mosques in NYC. Ground Zero is just not the right place for a new one.

Why not? We can't make laws about offending people.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »
Let's just ban all muslims from even walking within 5 blocks of Ground Zero. Problem solved.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »

lol what? How is not allowing them to build a mosque not denying them rights? Also lol at your george Bush comment before. The President probably has no say in this matter at all. His opinion doesn't matter, whether it be Bush or Obama.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »

You make it seem like Islam killed people on 9/11 and not terrorists. If this were a terrorist bomber shrine, your point would be valid, but it's not, so you're just being stupid.

EDIT: Fuck, even a terrorist bomber shrine is still legitimate and merely an expression of freedom of speech. I'm trying to understand your point and simply cannot.
space cadet, pull out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
Let's just ban all muslims from even walking within 5 blocks of Ground Zero. Problem solved.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

lol what? How is not allowing them to build a mosque not denying them rights? Also lol at your george Bush comment before. The President probably has no say in this matter at all. His opinion doesn't matter, whether it be Bush or Obama.

His opinion does matter. Maybe not as a practical matter within the legalities of this, but  his opinion most certainly matters.

I think it's wrong..I don't know what else to tell you guys.

Offline GuineaPig

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »

Cause I was completely serious.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »

You make it seem like Islam killed people on 9/11 and not terrorists. If this were a terrorist bomber shrine, your point would be valid, but it's not, so you're just being stupid.

EDIT: Fuck, even a terrorist bomber shrine is still legitimate and merely an expression of freedom of speech. I'm trying to understand your point and simply cannot.

woah..back the f##k up. I do NOT feel that way nor have I ever said that.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »

His opinion does matter. Maybe not as a practical matter within the legalities of this, but  his opinion most certainly matters.

I think it's wrong..I don't know what else to tell you guys.

So because YOU think it's wrong, you think that people should be stopped from worshiping their God. Yup, makes sense.

What would you say if Christian Missionaries in Iraq were prevented from building churches by the citizens because Christian soldiers went in and tore apart the country?
space cadet, pull out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
Quad..that's far reaching and even further away from what we're talking about. A typical "slippery slope" argument.

hey whatever.....
Good night guys!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
I'd say that not letting the Muslim Resource Center be built would be playing into the hands of Osama and the terrorists. They want it to not be allowed, so they can point and say to all the moderate practitioners of Islam "You're being oppressed. You don't really have that freedom the US says you have. See?"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2010, 08:41:47 PM »
I'd say that not letting the Muslim Resource Center be built would be playing into the hands of Osama and the terrorists. They want it to not be allowed, so they can point and say to all the moderate practitioners of Islam "You're being oppressed. You don't really have that freedom the US says you have. See?"
Perp, that's the first valid argument "for " it, and I recognize and respect that point of view. Hell, I don't even disagree with it...but if I have to go Yay or Nay, I'm still going "nay".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:11 PM »
I'm with TAC on this one,  I know that 99% of muslim's are good people and that works in all religons but where does common sense come into play.  Most americans still feel the pain of that day and if you've ever been their, you'd feel your heart sink for what these people went through dying that day, the pain of the families that lost family members.  A center can be built anywhere.  Can't people be sensitive to a tragic moment in our history?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »
The point of churches being built in Iraq by christian american organizations is a good one. Should those be banned too?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
I hate to be that dick but it's been nine years, let's start moving forward. You'd think with the amount of shit muslims got way back then things would've eased up to the point where something like this should be allowed, if not to at least respect the many peaceful practicing muslims whose reputation got severely soiled by something far beyond their control. I mean it's a God damn community center. If they're really worried about groups of muslims getting together in private I'd almost bet there's some kind of muslim run corner store or restaurant just as close where they congregate.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »
The point of churches being built in Iraq by christian american organizations is a good one. Should those be banned too?

Yes. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC