Author Topic: Islamic community center to go up near New York's ground zero  (Read 30007 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Mosque to go up near New York's ground zero
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »
The point of churches being built in Iraq by christian american organizations is a good one. Should those be banned too?

Yes.  

Ok then, at least you're fair about it.

Also, would anyone mind if a christian church went up there? Or a catholic church? Or a jewish synagogue?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2010, 08:58:24 PM »
The point of churches being built in Iraq by christian american organizations is a good one. Should those be banned too?

Depends on the laws in Iraq. The United States does have that "freedom of religion", which I believe covers this (could be very wrong).

Offline Adami

« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2010, 08:58:52 PM »

Depends on the laws in Iraq. The United States does have that "freedom of religion", which I believe covers this (could be very wrong).

I wasn't talking about a legal perspective.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »

Yes.  

Ok then, at least you're fair about it.

Also, would anyone mind if a christian church went up there? Or a catholic church? Or a jewish synagogue?

No.  That place should hold a special place in our hearts.  A memorial just like Pearl Harbor would be fine with me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »
Good thing we don't live in Iraq, every few feet would be another memorial.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »

Adami..OK..I don't know if you're for this/playing devil's advocate/or just stirring up shit...No one is banning the building of mosques. I don't understand why you're not getting this.  Who is promoting a ban on mosques? Tell me..who? All I'm saying is Ground Zero is NOT the place for one. That's all.

No.  That place should hold a special place in our hearts.  A memorial just like Pearl Harbor would be fine with me.

Exactly this!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »

Adami..OK..I don't know if you're for this/playing devil's advocate/or just stirring up shit...No one is banning the building of mosques. I don't understand why you're not getting this.  Who is promoting a ban on mosques? Tell me..who? All I'm saying is Ground Zero is NOT the place for one. That's all.

Not my point. Do you think american organizations should be allowed to build churches in Iraq? More specifically, in areas that battles took place.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2010, 09:05:49 PM »

Not my point. Do you think american organizations should be allowed to build churches in Iraq? More specifically, in areas that battles took place.

Off the top of my head....I don't think so.
But the whole Iraq argument is really irrelevant to this thread though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2010, 09:07:20 PM »
Not really. We're trying to show that you're only against it because it's Muslim, and other random Muslims comitted the act. Thusly, many other christians americans killed WAYYYYYY more Iraqis, so why shouldn't the same rules apply?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »

Come on Adami.  Let's not get silly now.  Look at the damage in England and France from WWII.  Is there memorials all over the place?  No.  There are certain places that do for a specfic event in that war.  This is a specific moment that changed things here in America forever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:02 PM »

Come on Adami.  Let's not get silly now.  Look at the damage in england and France from WWII.  Is their memorials all over the place.  This is a specific moment that changed things here in America forever.

I guess I just have a slightly different perspective on 9/11.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:27 PM »
Holy shit.  I actually found something that genuinely pisses TAC off!.  Welcome to P/R, amigo.   :lol

I gather you accept that it wasn't Islam per-se that brought about the attacks.  So what's the difference between a Mosque and the countless other "American" churches that'll be built on that block?  Just objecting to it because the hijackers were Muslim would be like prohibiting Christian churches on 5th street in Oklahoma City.  "IT"S TOO SOON!"

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:43 PM »

Come on Adami.  Let's not get silly now.  Look at the damage in england and France from WWII.  Is their memorials all over the place.  This is a specific moment that changed things here in America forever.

What's your view?

Offline Adami

« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »

What's your view?

Considering that I don't feel like arguing about it, I'll just say that it's a slightly less emotional one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »

What's your view?

Considering that I don't feel like arguing about it, I'll just say that it's a slightly less emotional one.

No sweat. I just think that something of that magnitude should be memorialized.  Build 10,000 centers. Just not there.  And yes, no damn churchs of any religon there.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2010, 09:27:57 PM »
It's not on ground zero, it's several blocks away. You know what was there before? A Burlington Coat Factory. How are department stores somehow less disrespectful than a cultural center or church?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2010, 09:56:42 PM »
It's not on ground zero, it's several blocks away. You know what was there before? A Burlington Coat Factory. How are department stores somehow less disrespectful than a cultural center or church?

There are all kinds of places considered not respectful around it, adult shops included. Where do you stop when using the "disrespectful" argument?

Offline Adami

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »

There are all kinds of places considered not respectful around it, adult shops included. Where do you stop when using the "disrespectful" argument?

Mosques appearently.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TL

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »
It's also not a Mosque. It's a community center.
There is a prayer center, but calling it a mosque because of that would be like calling a hospital a church because it has a chapel.

Offline Adami

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2010, 11:11:30 PM »
There is a prayer center, but calling it a mosque because of that would be like calling a hospital a church because it has a chapel.

So it's a community center, several blocks away? And people have a problem with that?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TL

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2010, 11:12:49 PM »

So it's a community center, several blocks away? And people have a problem with that?
Welcome to America.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »
Techincally speaking it's an Islamic Cultural Center.

I'm sure you can guess which part of that people have a problem with.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2010, 11:39:21 PM »
I've never felt more disgusted to be an American right now. There is a little thing called freedom that republicans like to preach about every other second. Well, this is the time when Americans, regardless of their religion, should be able to exercise that freedom. Hell, build a mosque right next to ground zero. They have the right. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2010, 04:33:28 AM »
This.

It's not a fucking Mosque, and it's not at Ground Zero.  It has been promoted as such by right wingers to get people like TAC or the king riled up over nothing.

It is a community center with a prayer room, not a mosque.  It is not at Ground Zero, but blocks and blocks away from there.  There are actual mosques closer to Ground Zero than this thing will be.  There are also strip joints closer to Ground Zero than this thing will be.  Plus, it's on completely private property, so it doesn't matter what the general public thinks about it.  It only matters what the property owner thinks about it, as long as it is in line with the zoning laws for that part of the city (which it is).

This is the biggest pre-fabricated non-issue in recent memory.  There is simply nothing for anyone to be upset about.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2010, 06:05:29 AM »
Apparently I'm misinformed  :lol

Here's Rudy Guliani's thoughts (in italics) on it from a transcript from an aooearance on MSNBC. The interviewer was Matt Lauer.

1.   >> what's your problem with it? most people say, look, it's legal, it's within the constitution. we protect religious freedom in this country. why don't you think it should be built there?

>> i agree with all that. and beyond that it's an act of right project as far as i can tell under new york law. they never even had to go through all the reviews they went through. the question here is a question of sensitivity. people's feelings. and, are you really what you pretend to be? as i understand this cordoba house, the idea of it is to healing, to show that muslims care about the same things that christians and jews do. that we're one people. that we should be one. well, if you're going to so horribly offend the people who are most directly offended by this, most directly affected by this, the families of the september 11th victims, who i happen to know and have got ton know, you know, really well, then how are you healing? i mean all this is doing is creating more division, more anger, more hatred, and i mean, there are --

>> are you worried about the imam behind this project ? in terms of his politics, his religious beliefs , do you find him to be anything but the moderate that he's described as by the current administration? and by the way, the bush administration before that?

>> i'm confused by the imam. i see all the things that you're saying. but i also see a man who said that america was an accessory to september 11th . those are the very words that require me to give $10 million back to an arab chic or prince. he gave us $10 million for the 9/11 --

>> let me clarify so people understand what you're saying. shortly after 9/11 on "60 minutes" he said, quote, i wouldn't say the united states deserved what happened, but united states policies were an accessory to the crime that happened on 9/11, because we have been accessory to a lot of innocent lives dying in the world.

>> well, that's exactly what the the -- what the arab prince said when he gave me $10 million. that america was an accessory to september 11th because of its foreign policy . america was not an accessory to september 11th . all you've got to do is read about jihad and -- second thing, the second thing he said was, he refused to condemn hamas, with whom he is alleged to have had some ties. a terrorist group . it's recognized by everyone as a terrorist group . and he said america should apologize. so, okay, that's one part of it. the other part of the it is, he has had a history of appearing to be a hero, appearing to be someone that wants to talk about a moderate islam .

>> he's made appearances with condoleezza rice --

>> there are two ways you could interpret the koran. the better way, which is the peaceful way, or the warrior way, which is the way in which you get into trouble with jihad. but those quotes trouble me. but here's what troubles me more. if he's truly about healing, he will not go forward with this project . because this project is not healing. this project is divisive. this project is creating tremendous pain to people who have already paid the ultimate sacrifice.

>> there are a lot of issues are divisive, and yet they have to be tough choices --

>> matt, matt, but not this. that's true. a lot of issues are divisive. but if you want to claim to be the healer, then you're not on the side of the person who is pushing those issues.

>> let me play you something you said on our program, "meet the press" back on december 22nd of 2002 . so about 14 months after 9/11.
>> if you think about the attacks on september 11th , i think everyone will acknowledge that part of the core of that attack was the fact that we have freedom of religion in america . that -- that part of why america was founded. it's part of what we're all about. it's one of the most prominent things about us, that you can be a catholic, a protestant, a jew, a muslim, or no religion at all, and no one's going to interfere with you.
>> and no one's going to interfere with you. by saying that these people shouldn't build their mosque where they plan to build it, isn't that interfering?

>> no, of course not. first of all, they have freedom of religion . they can build it. they have every right to build it. the question is, should they build it? are they displaying the sensitivity they claim by building it? for example, the pope asked the nuns to take the convent back from right in front of auschwitz or one of the concentration camps. they had a perfect right to be there. they had the freedom of religion there. the nuns were sensitive enough to the concerns of jews that they pulled it back. now here's a man who is selling sensitivity. he's got $180,000 in the bank, he wants to raise $100 million. ask me how he's going to do it, i don't know. you don't do it by creating this kind of vicious, sort of angry battle that's going on. the people who are speaking about it --

>> some would say he didn't create the vicious, angry battle. that it's the people who decided to weigh in on it who added it to the battle?

>> i was the first person on september 11th that stepped forward in the heat of battle, that afternoon, my first press conference and said, no group blamed. do not blame arabs. we have to understand this is a small group , and we have to focus on them. but, the reality is, that right now, if you are a healer, you do not go forward with this project .

>> in your gut do you think if we sit down a year from right now the project will be under construction at this site?

>> i think governor paterson had an approach. nice compromise, find another place, have a beautiful mosque there. don't offend easily 80%, 90% of the families are seriously offended. i know people who are crying over this who have lost loved ones. you or i might not even agree. we might say, okay, put the mosque there. but maybe we haven't lost that -- that son, that father, person who is watching their child today, and still remember every day that person is gone. it wasn't an attack in the name of islam . it was a perverted kind of islam . but the kind of prevalent view that goes on in a lot of parts of the world. we've got to be sensitive to everybody here.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:27:51 AM by TAC »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2010, 08:01:07 AM »
After finding out that it's not that close to where the twin towers stood, I think it's ok.

Numbers, you should be pissed of at the government as a whole not just one side.  They all suck.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2010, 08:28:47 AM »
I actually looked up the other day where this center is planned to be built. Well, it's two blocks away, i.e. you have to go out of your way to see it from Ground Zero (i.e. walk two blocks, go around corner, follow street until you find it).

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
Besides, it wasn't Islam that killed all those people on 9/11, it was maniacal mass murderers.

This is the most important part of this issue.

I hate the people in my country sometimes (and you need look no further than that comments section to see why...)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »
Besides, it wasn't Islam that killed all those people on 9/11, it was maniacal mass murderers.

This is the most important part of this issue.

I hate the people in my country sometimes (and you need look no further than that comments section to see why...)

PLM, it has nothing to do with Islamic people but the significance of what happened and where.  All for not cause it's not close enough to the spot so it's ok.  BTW I'm Lebanese.  How my history?  Ever race has it's bad apples.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »
I think the argument has a lot to do with Islamic people.

A lot of the negativity about this project seems to be nothing more than some sort of prejudice. As someone pointed out, if a Christian extremist group had attacked us and they wanted to build a church, nobody would cry foul

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
I suppose I'll be the asshole here.  I don't care about the significance of ground zero.  I think it's terribly over-stated.  Normally, I wouldn't bother to care about it, but I actually think it's both embarrassing and insensitive.  It troubles me that people are so terrified by the prospect of a random and senseless demise.  It troubles me that it's been so incredibly politicized to the point of exploitation.  It troubles me that nobody else seems to have mattered at all on that day.  There are no memorials for Jesse B. Henson:
Jessey Bernard Henson, 78, of Hurricane died September 11, 2001, following a bravely fought, lengthy illness.
Bernard was born July 10, 1923, the son of the late Alexander and Dora Searles Henson. He served in the United States Air Force, European Theater, having piloted 35 missions in World War II and was retired from C&P Telephone as a field engineer with 40 years of service. He loved children and spent years of service through the Little League Babe Ruth Baseball organization.
He was an active member of Teays Valley Church of the Nazarene where he was a member of the Friends Forever Sunday School Class, the Senior Adult Ministries and was a representative of the church to the Community Food Panty in Hurricane. He also taught adult Sunday school classes for 51 years in the Church of the Nazarene. He loved to sing praises to his Lord and used his talent in leading choirs and singing in various groups for over 55 years.
Sounds like a helluva guy.  Shame he didn't have the common sense to be killed by brown people.  I'm sure his family would have appreciated a $1.6 million dollar settlement and having Mariah Carey sing that he was a hero. 

Most of all, it troubles me to see just how thoroughly 19 imbeciles managed to kick America's ass, and the ass whipping continues to this day.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline j

« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2010, 11:38:47 AM »
As someone pointed out, if a Christian extremist group had attacked us and they wanted to build a church, nobody would cry foul

While you're correct that a lot of the opposition to this is based on prejudice, this type of statement is totally asinine, implausible, and certainly untrue.

I would have absolutely no problem with this project even if it WERE an actual mosque, but I can't help but be skeptical that the motivation for such a project is completely pure.  Either way, it doesn't matter; I don't see what all the fuss is about. *shrug*

And great post, Barto, I agree for the most part.

-J

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
Can't argue with that, Bart.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2010, 12:44:46 PM »
As someone pointed out, if a Christian extremist group had attacked us and they wanted to build a church, nobody would cry foul

While you're correct that a lot of the opposition to this is based on prejudice, this type of statement is totally asinine, implausible, and certainly untrue.

No, its pretty much spot on.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »

No, its pretty much spot on.
The thing is, if a Christian maniac blows something up, it's because he's a maniac.  If a Muslim maniac blows something up, it's because of Islam.  Nobody wants to believe that their own religion can be problematic and you can't convince them that opposing religions are anything but.  The devout are blinded to their own hypocrisy. 
E.F. Benson