Author Topic: Islamic community center to go up near New York's ground zero  (Read 30005 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
https://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/07/mosque-to-go-up-near-new-yorks-ground-zero/

New York (CNN) -- Plans to build a mosque two blocks away from ground zero have set off an emotional debate among area residents and relatives of victims of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.

Cordoba House project calls for a 15-story community center including a mosque, performance art center, gym, swimming pool and other public spaces.

The project is a collaboration between the American Society for Muslim Advancement and the Cordoba Initiative, both of which work to improve relations with followers of the religion.

The two groups presented their vision to part of the Community Board of lower Manhattan on Wednesday night.

Ro Sheffe, a board member who attended the meeting, said the project did not need to get the board's approval.

"They own the land, and their plans don't have any zoning changes," Sheffe said. "They came to us for our opinions and to let us know their plans. It was purely voluntary on their part."

The 12 members who were at the meeting voted unanimously to support the project. Community board members are appointed by the borough president and serve as advisers to the borough president and the mayor's office.

Daisy Khan, executive director of the Muslim society, described her vision of a center led by Muslims, but serving the community as a whole.

"It will have a real community feel, to celebrate the pluralism in the United States, as well as in the Islamic religion," Khan said. "It will also serve as a major platform for amplifying the silent voice of the majority of Muslims who have nothing to do with extremist ideologies. It will counter the extremist momentum."

The need for the center is twofold, Khan said, because it will support the needs of the growing Muslim community.

"The time for a center like this has come because Islam is an American religion," Khan said. "We need to take the 9/11 tragedy and turn it into something very positive."

Sheffe said a community center for lower Manhattan residents is "desperately needed." The area was mostly commercial, Sheffe said, but as more people move downtown, the lack of residential amenities is a problem.

The project got mixed reviews from families and friends of September 11 victims.

"I think it's the right thing to do," said Marvin Bethea, who was a paramedic at ground zero. "I lost 16 friends down there. But Muslims also got killed on 9/11. It would be a good sign of faith that we're not condemning all Muslims and that the Muslims who did this happened to be extremists. As a black man, I know what it's like to be discriminated against when you haven't done anything."

Herbert Ouida, whose son was killed in the attacks, supports the project as a way to bridge cultural divide.

"I understand the anger, the bitterness and hatred, but it only generates more hatred," Ouida said. "Such a large part of the world has this faith, and to say anyone who has this faith is a terrorist, it's terrible."

Others decried the idea of building a mosque so close to where their relatives died.

"Lower Manhattan should be made into a shrine for the people who died there," said Michael Valentin, a retired city detective who worked at ground zero. "It breaks my heart for the families who have to put up with this. I understand they're [building] it in a respectful way, but it just shouldn't be down there."

Others such as Barry Zelman said the site's location will be a painful reminder.

"[The 9/11 terrorists] did this in the name of Islam," Zelman said. "It's a sacred ground where these people died, where my brother was murdered, and to be in the shadows of that religion, it's just hypocritical and sacrilegious. "

However, Khan emphasized that the attacks killed Muslims, too.

"Three hundred of the victims were Muslim, that's 10 percent of the victims," she said. "We are Americans too. The 9/11 tragedy hurt everybody including the Muslim community. We are all in this together and together we have to fight against extremism and terrorism."

Cordoba House is still in its early stages of development. The American Society for Muslim Advancement is hoping to raise funds for the center to be completed in three to five years.

I can't see this going over well, I'm obviously against it. My question is are any of you against or for it? Why?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:02:58 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Mosque to go up near New York's ground zero
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Who cares? It's their land to do what they want with.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »

Thank you for your contribution, you have been most helpful. :neverusethis:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
I have no issues with it. Who cares if it enrages the american public? Freedom, right? What better way to show it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:03 PM »
I'd say I'm not against it.  If the purpose is to try and promote understanding and cooperation then the plan seems like a clear statement against what happened.  That victims might feel jilted is understandable, but it is an emotional response that lays blame on too broad a group.

A project like this has a high upside if it is done right, and the article does make it sound like that's what they're going for.  If that's true and they have evidence they won't let it fail in short order, becoming a segregated place, then why stop someone trying to build something positive for the whole community?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »
In principle I don't have any problems with this. Private property laws are supposed to mean something in this country.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:00:46 PM »
I'd say I'm not against it.  If the purpose is to try and promote understanding and cooperation then the plan seems like a clear statement against what happened.  That victims might feel jilted is understandable, but it is an emotional response that lays blame on too broad a group.

A project like this has a high upside if it is done right, and the article does make it sound like that's what they're going for.  If that's true and they have evidence they won't let it fail in short order, becoming a segregated place, then why stop someone trying to build something positive for the whole community?
:tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:16:55 PM »
I have no issues with it. Who cares if it enrages the american public? Freedom, right? What better way to show it.
In principle I don't have any problems with this. Private property laws are supposed to mean something in this country.

All of these. Besides, it wasn't Islam that killed all those people on 9/11, it was maniacal mass murderers.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 01:45:32 PM »

Thank you for your contribution, you have been most helpful. :neverusethis:

Well what else is there to say about it? Sorry, but I don't consider someone being uncomfortable with it to be a legitimate complaint.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »
I'm for it, and my reason is that I see no reason not to be for it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:11:51 PM »
I can't see why this would be an issue to any vaguely reasonable person.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
I don't see a problem with it.  Muslim's need places to worship just like any other religion.  Let's not forget that some of the victims on that tragic day were also Muslim.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 03:24:20 PM »
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.  People should have the freedom to worship any way they choose, as long as nobody's getting hurt.  As others have stated, it wasn't Islam that flew planes into the WTC, it was extremists.

I'm obviously against it.

Are you against religious freedom?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
I don't see a problem with it.  Muslim's need places to worship just like any other religion.  Let's not forget that some of the victims on that tragic day were also Muslim.
10% is more than some.  It really annoys me when I see memorials for 9/11 that put out one US flag for every person that died.  It seems so careless for someone trying to say remember those that died and ends up looking like nationalistic blabber.

Online Adami

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »

Actually he might be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »
I can see how people can be offended by it, but there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do this.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »
I don't see a problem with it.  Muslim's need places to worship just like any other religion.  Let's not forget that some of the victims on that tragic day were also Muslim.
10% is more than some.  It really annoys me when I see memorials for 9/11 that put out one US flag for every person that died.  It seems so careless for someone trying to say remember those that died and ends up looking like nationalistic blabber.

Yeah, they should post flags of every nationality that was represented there.  After all, it was called The World Trade Center, not the United States of America trade center.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 04:51:19 PM »

He's against religious anything.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 04:51:52 PM »

I bet he's not against religious criminalization.  :laugh:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »

I bet he's not against religious criminalization.  :laugh:
You got me.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
Let em build

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »
I can see how people can be offended by it, but there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do this.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 06:01:14 PM »
FYI: The comments, not surprisingly, are very entertaining at the actual page.  I've learned some very useful facts in only the first few posts that show up:

Quote from: pmjnstn
The thought of building a mosque adjacent to ground zero has got to be the most INSENSITIVE, SLAP IN THE FACE to America and it's citizens. For you Muslims who come to our country to enjoy freedom that our forefathers died for, you should try to understand and respect this country and it's people. You are taunting us with your ways, and inviting trouble. Being so disrespectful as to plant a Mosque at ground zero will only cause more hatred. You may have some support in areas such as NY where there are thousands of Muslims, good people, I'm sure. But what happened at ground zero was an attack on the USA as a whole. We will not tolerate it! Build your Mosque elsewhere, preferably outside of the USA. If you don't want to live as Americans go back where you came from!

Quote from: Jimmymac3
Muslims can build mosques wherever they want in the USA only when Christians can take in bibles and build churches wherever they want in your muslim country !

US = Christendom, oh boy!

Quote from: GoinJohnGalt
That ground is hallowed ground, made sacred by the blood of Americans murdered because of religion. To build a house of worship to give praise to the being in whose name those people were killed is to desecrate American holy ground. This abomination should be stopped.

Quote from: toastt
This is the muslim blame game, try to act stand-offish and then claim victims when they insight it themselves. They are the biggest double standards ever. I am in full support of building a mosque for them to worship, but to be bold enough to build this right where thousands of people died, at the hand of extremists. It's a sensative subject for all Americans, not just New Yorkers.

Most muslims are nice, and open minded and friendly. However the majority still have this backward year 700ad mentality. Get with the times, and be respectful. Christianity is the backbone religion of the American society, the only difference is that Americans do not persecute for others to celebrate their religions. It is set by the majority, and the majority of Americans are christian

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
Quote from: GoinJohnGalt
That ground is hallowed ground, made sacred by the blood of Americans.

That's what happens when you read all Dan Brown books.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »
:facepalm: @ those quotes.

Muslims can build mosques wherever they want in the USA only when Christians can take in bibles and build churches wherever they want in your muslim country!

Really?  :lol

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 06:43:15 PM »
Wow, those comments are really depressing.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 09:51:16 PM »

Being against religious freedom would be stupid, being against freedom is stupid. I'm against religion the concept and the affect on people. That is why i am against the building of the mosque not because of the location or the type of religion but because it is religion. Kind of figured my stance was well known.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 02:26:51 AM »
From a Muslim stand point I find it unnecessary to provoke emotions of simple minded people who don't know the difference between the psychotic mass murdering extremists and our religion, this reminds me of the South Park thing even though I don't think the current situation is intentional, just inconsiderate, but basically it's an uncalled for poke at something that's healing slowly.
So I'm against it and I don't think it has anything to do with freedom, we can't freedom this and freedom that at every turn, there has to be considerations imo.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 02:28:43 AM »

Being against religious freedom would be stupid, being against freedom is stupid. I'm against religion the concept and the affect on people. That is why i am against the building of the mosque not because of the location or the type of religion but because it is religion. Kind of figured my stance was well known.

So if a mosque was being built in Antarctica, you'd be against it.

wtf is the internet?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 03:17:43 AM »
Kind of figured my stance was well known.
Yeah, it is.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 03:55:01 AM »

That doesn't make sense.  How can you be for religious freedom, but be against the building of a house of worship on private property?  Just because you have a soured view toward religion doesn't mean other people shouldn't be allowed to practice in peace.

Actually, I really like the concept of this project in general... it would be nice if we could encourage more understanding between the Muslim and western world.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 08:35:25 AM »
I see no problems with this. If it were any other religion nobody would care....

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 10:12:56 AM »
Am I the only one to see the dude say "Most muslim are nice..." and then follow up by saying, "but the majority..."

This is stupid. I am pretty much against religion but I understand the people that want to follow it. If Americans think this is a slap in the face...oh boy. I mean, honestly. I seem to be around mostly smart individuals every day. Is the average American this ignorant? This is mind blowingly stupid.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 10:44:48 AM »
Religon not bad, someone's color of their skin is not bad, it is people who can be bad.  I have no problem with it.  A group of people should not feel oppressed by actions of a few.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »
Am I the only one to see the dude say "Most muslim are nice..." and then follow up by saying, "but the majority..."

This is stupid. I am pretty much against religion but I understand the people that want to follow it. If Americans think this is a slap in the face...oh boy. I mean, honestly. I seem to be around mostly smart individuals every day. Is the average American this ignorant? This is mind blowingly stupid.

I did bold what you quoted, so I doubt it was missed, just not pointed out by others.

Two things with ignorant Americans.  First, comment sections are a true calling for vocal, opinionated people.  Second, don't underestimate any country's population of having a communal ignorance guided by media, politics, and other outlets.  Money yields a lot of power and influence, even for those with opinions that might not be otherwise popular.