Author Topic: Weird musical things you do.  (Read 17012 times)

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
Re: Weird musical things you do.
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »
I make terrible music... on purpose.

Offline nemesiskoen

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:33 AM »
My right-hand pinky is crooked, it used to interfere with my keyboard-playing but now I developed a technique where my pinky is the most-used finger when I'm playing keyboard or piano. It looks funky but it gives me a lot more possibilities.

Offline LTE

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »
I hybrid pick a lot now, I rarely strum full chords all with the pick, I'll hold the pick with my index and thumb while using my middle, ring and pinky to pluck the other strings.

I string skip all the fucking time.

We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »
If I'm in the right mood I can spend literally 20 minutes jamming to a something amazingly simple and boring for anyone except me, like soloing but keeping an A then an E bass note going with my thumb, and going into stuff like Lenny. It's sooo relaxing, but I really need to stop wasting time on it.  :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »
If I'm in the right mood I can spend literally 20 minutes jamming to a something amazingly simple and boring for anyone except me, like soloing but keeping an A then an E bass note going with my thumb, and going into stuff like Lenny. It's sooo relaxing, but I really need to stop wasting time on it.  :lol
Totally. I do this all the time.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 11:55:15 AM »
People say I make weird faces while I'm playing...but I don't know about that!  :lol
When I play my Kurzweil, I really like experiment with very creepy/dark sounds that don't even sound that good, but I just like to feel the darkness in it. Like, every single time I test a new dark sound, the first note I play is the lowest and highest notes at the same time...its awfully cool :lol
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:20 PM »
I sometimes use four fingers on my strum hand while playing bass, makes for a good rhythm, then if a more difficult part pops up my fingers aren't tired

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 06:28:20 AM »
Another thing I do (and for some reason, I noticed this last night while watching Dog the Bounty Hunter), is when I hear something, like a slightly syncopated musical pattern, I will try to visualize the rhythm in my head.  I will almost literally draw the rhythm pattern out in the air in front of me.  It's like decoding a secret message or something and it always bring a tiny bit of satisfaction when I've completely figured it out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:25:46 PM by GuitarCozmo »

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 10:45:50 AM »
Another thing I do (and for some reason, I noticed this last night while watching Dog the Bounty Hunter), is when I hear something, like a slightly suncopated musical pattern, I will try to visualize the rhythm in my head.  I will almost literally draw the rhythm pattern out in the air in front of me.  It's like decoding a secret message or something and it always bring a tiny bit of satisfaction when I've completely figured it out.
+1

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »
I've been experimenting with extended techniques for the acoustic guitar. One of my favourites is holding the guitar like you would a cello and bowing the individual strings using a small artist's paintbrush, sliding my fingers up and down the fretboard.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »

and I make terrible music...because I'm not very good.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 10:27:49 AM »
Another thing I do (and for some reason, I noticed this last night while watching Dog the Bounty Hunter), is when I hear something, like a slightly syncopated musical pattern, I will try to visualize the rhythm in my head.  I will almost literally draw the rhythm pattern out in the air in front of me.  It's like decoding a secret message or something and it always bring a tiny bit of satisfaction when I've completely figured it out.
I conduct in the correct time signature all the time, I guess it's sort of the same....
gone

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 11:22:27 AM »

and I make terrible music...because I'm not very good.

Yeah... that's another reason for me too.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »

This might just be because I'm a liiiitle OCD, but if a song has an odd time signature I CANNOT ENJOY THE SONG until I figure it out. This is why I took a long time to enjoy Open Car.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »
What is Open Car in? is that like 15/4 or something?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »
I think one bit is in 17/8, but I'm not 100% sure. I've actually just given up with stuff like Dance of Eternity, hence my hatred for that song.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2010, 05:00:24 PM »
I just fell in love with a new tuning:

(low to high) C-G-D-A-C-G

Totally awesome, and inspired by dudes on Youtube playing Mandocellos.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
Piano: When i'm not using my pinkies they rest awkwardly on top of my ring fingers. Maybe it's because my ring fingers are weak and my pinkies want to assist them.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
Guitar: I always try to transition awesomely between two songs as if I'm actually doing so live.  :P

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
I do the same thing a lot when I play the piano.  I figure one of these days, I'll actually get to play in front of people, and when I do, I'll have some cool transitions worked out.

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2010, 02:44:32 PM »
I took drum lessons for about six years and didn't practice once  :P
Honestly didn't know I had to, but when I went to Burklee for a percussion festival a couple years back, I realized everyone was better than me.
I've been playing piano for awhile and just started guitar, and I practise those constantly, but I guess drums were always kind of boring for me.

Offline jfwund

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:33 PM »
I have a kyser "quick change" capo, and I always put the capo on upside down (i.e. handle pointing down rather than up). I remember back when I used to play in church, as well as in a couple of bands, and it would always drive the other guitarists nuts because it looked "wrong"...
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010, 05:12:25 AM »

I did that with this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38XvG7SO2qY

Morricone gone prog.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2010, 05:52:17 AM »
I have a kyser "quick change" capo, and I always put the capo on upside down (i.e. handle pointing down rather than up). I remember back when I used to play in church, as well as in a couple of bands, and it would always drive the other guitarists nuts because it looked "wrong"...

Isn't it annoying for you though?  If I do it handle down it always gets in the freaking way.

Offline nemesiskoen

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2010, 05:34:02 AM »
Another thing I do (and for some reason, I noticed this last night while watching Dog the Bounty Hunter), is when I hear something, like a slightly syncopated musical pattern, I will try to visualize the rhythm in my head.  I will almost literally draw the rhythm pattern out in the air in front of me.  It's like decoding a secret message or something and it always bring a tiny bit of satisfaction when I've completely figured it out.

This might just be because I'm a liiiitle OCD, but if a song has an odd time signature I CANNOT ENJOY THE SONG until I figure it out. This is why I took a long time to enjoy Open Car.

I usually have the same problem. I have to figure out the time signature all the time. Usually when it's impossible or when I think I have it I use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_works_in_unusual_time_signatures, which is a quite extended list of songs with odd time signatures. "Open Car" is not on there though, the Dance of Eternity is, it's funny what they say about it: ""The Dance of Eternity" by Dream Theater. This instrumental contains mixtures of faster and slower beat groupings in 8, 7, 6, 5, and 4. It goes through 104 time signature changes in just over six minutes."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:27 AM »
Another thing I do (and for some reason, I noticed this last night while watching Dog the Bounty Hunter), is when I hear something, like a slightly syncopated musical pattern, I will try to visualize the rhythm in my head.  I will almost literally draw the rhythm pattern out in the air in front of me.  It's like decoding a secret message or something and it always bring a tiny bit of satisfaction when I've completely figured it out.

I usually have the same problem. I have to figure out the time signature all the time. Usually when it's impossible or when I think I have it I use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_works_in_unusual_time_signatures, which is a quite extended list of songs with odd time signatures. "Open Car" is not on there though, the Dance of Eternity is, it's funny what they say about it: ""The Dance of Eternity" by Dream Theater. This instrumental contains mixtures of faster and slower beat groupings in 8, 7, 6, 5, and 4. It goes through 104 time signature changes in just over six minutes."

There are songs in 59/48? :omg:

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
Technically Tool's Lateralus is in 24/8 if you combine it all, and Schism was joked as being in 6.5/8. I love being a musical nerd.

Offline jfwund

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »
Isn't it annoying for you though?  If I do it handle down it always gets in the freaking way.

Nah -- it's never gotten in the way, and for whatever reason, it's easier for me to change it on the fly. Like I said, it irritated the hell out of the other guitarists I was playing with, to the point that I ended up playing lead in church just so it wouldn't distract the other two guys... ;D
(it was a "folk" style Catholic mass, piano and guitars, strummy kind of stuff, so guitar leads were out of the norm)
—No, continued Aunt Kate, she wouldn't be said or led by anyone, slaving there in that choir night and day, night and day. Six o'clock on Christmas morning! And all for what?
—Well, isn't it for the honour of God, Aunt Kate? asked Mary Jane, twisting round on the piano-stool and smiling.
Aunt Kate turned fiercely on her niece and said:
—I know all about the honour of God, Mary Jane

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
What's uncommon about my approach to creating music..

As a guitar player I used to focus all my energy into getting fast chops etc.
Nowadays, it's much different. When writing/recording music with my band, 50% of my task is thinking about the arrangements and the orchestration of every part. When thinking about 'what to play over that particular chord progression' , I'm hearing the notes and rythms in my head. Without consideration for difficulty, I'll just learn it on guitar no matter what. Sometimes I make up stuff that is impossible for me to play, so I'll just practice for days to get the damn thing right.

So that's how I'm 'teaching' myself guitar now. I rarely play other people's songs, and in this way I'll get my chops automatically up to par with what I want to achieve. And it's 'real', because I took the 'creation' approach instead of trying to mimic other bands' music and feelings, which I am not very good at.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »
I play upside down.

I'm left-handed, and play a right-handed guitar, strung as is, simply slung upside down.
I have an entirely unique approach to playing, especially with strumming patterns and such.
I've met or known of a handful of guys that do this, but it doesn't seem to be all that common.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
Like Jimi Hendrix?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2010, 02:13:53 PM »
Or Dick Dale.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »
Jimi Hendrix flipped the strings, so no.

Yes, like Dick Dale. He played the guitar strung as is.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2010, 05:24:11 AM »
I wish I could even begin to have the dexterity to do that.  :-[

I have a leftie friend who is pretty competent at using our righties, and it blows my mind to even try that, let alone the way you're doing it.

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2010, 01:36:26 PM »
Ive seen some bass player do that before... weird.