Author Topic: Weird musical things you do.  (Read 17007 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Weird musical things you do.
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »
I'm currently getting my bridge blocked and put to C standard. 13-56.

:metal

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2010, 05:15:52 AM »
Props on the bridge block. I don't know why I buy guitars with tremolo bridges, they always bother me and I never use the damn things :lol

A weird thing I do... Well, I play with my fingers a lot, but sometimes I pluck the strings like a bassist does.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2010, 10:39:50 AM »
Yeah, when I went to buy my guitar, I wanted to be cool and have a badass metal guitar. I wanted to be every heavy metal musician out there. I wanted to be Kirk Hammett. I had to categories when getting it. A) EMGs B) A Floyd. :lol

I still say EMGs are the best pickups for metal...ever. But I have come to really hate the Floyd. I love my guitar though. It feels great and sounds badass. Guess I am lucky for choosing a great guitar, even if I did it for the wrong reasons at first.

Oh, and by the way, my guitar is so badass, Mike Inez of Alice in Chains commented on how awesome it looked, and when I pulled it out of its case, I heard a collective "oooh...aaaaah" from the people in line!!! :) :metal

Nice choice me!!! :)

Where was I?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »
So are you going to tell us what this God-axe is or what?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2010, 03:40:29 PM »
Jackson DKMG with a see thru red finish.

It is a beast, and a damn fine good looking one at that. The black with the red... *drools*

The only thing I would have liked aesthetically would be shark fin inlays, but I am perfectly happy with the piranha teeth.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:46:12 PM by 73109 »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
Flamed maple! Nice :hat

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »
:metal

It looks better in person. It plays great also.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2010, 04:23:49 AM »
I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of guitar related fun by believing this, but my Mexican Strat is all I'll ever need. Ever.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 06:03:45 AM »
I'm sure I'm missing out on a lot of guitar related fun by believing this, but my Mexican Strat is all I'll ever need. Ever.

Props.  Strats are probably the most versatile guitar out there.  I find that the only thing it isn't good for is shred.  Unless you're a fat swede with scalloped frets.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »

Props.  Strats are probably the most versatile guitar out there.  I find that the only thing it isn't good for is shred.  Unless you're a fat swede with scalloped frets.

Yeah that's a fair point, but luckily (?) I'm not good enough to shred anyway. It's perfect for clean, great for classic rock and good for metal, which runs the gamit of what I want to/can play really.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2010, 06:44:14 AM »

Yeah that's a fair point, but luckily (?) I'm not good enough to shred anyway. It's perfect for clean, great for classic rock and good for metal, which runs the gamit of what I want to/can play really.

Definately.  And, I'm not good enough to shred either...  But I will blame that on the guitar until the cows come home :D

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:07 AM »

Definately.  And, I'm not good enough to shred either...  But I will blame that on the guitar until the cows come home :D
:lol

Same, if I had a PRS I'd DEFINITELY be at Petrucci level in a week or two, but my Strat limits my creative vision maaan.

I've been debating whether to get a Les Paul for Christmas/Birthday or not, because the only metal I really play is Tool/Metallica, some of the heavy PT stuff and then Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam et al are obviously all LP bands.

But I mainly play blues/classic rock, so I'm wondering whether it's worth it. Or I could just get a Vintage. Any ideas?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2010, 12:34:24 PM »
A Srat is perfect for PJ, not so much for GnR. I love my strat but I can't play metal with it. It just doesn't feel right to me. I don't even try Metallica or anything like that. I stick to blues and classic rock. MAH JACKSON IS FOR TEH HEAVY!!!! :metal

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »
MarvellousG, Does your Strat have a humbucker in the bridge? Otherwise..how could you get a convincing metal sound out of it?

And another thing, Les Paul-type guitars are really great for the blues, too. If you can get a good deal, I'd say go for it.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2010, 04:12:15 PM »
MarvellousG, Does your Strat have a humbucker in the bridge? Otherwise..how could you get a convincing metal sound out of it?

And another thing, Les Paul-type guitars are really great for the blues, too. If you can get a good deal, I'd say go for it.

No it doesn't, and it's not hugely convincing but it more than does the job for me because I'm not in a band so as long as it sounds passable to me at the minute it's just enough.

And yeah, but the thing is the type of blues I'd want to play is more Stratty, once I got past the sustain and bassiness of the LP (which would take months) I might just go back to my Strat.

That being said, the hour I spent in a shop playing a Les Paul Custom was the best hour of guitar I've ever had, so maybe it's time to get one.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2010, 08:50:43 PM »
I fell in love with a white mexi strat. I wanted it so bad, but I could only get one thing and I already had a good guitar and a shitty amp, so I got a better amp, but man, what I had with that guitar was magical.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: July 30, 2010, 05:52:52 AM »
I think a Strat and LP combination would pretty much cover all bases from metal to blues and everything in between.  I've never been a fan of the LP clean sound but the humbuckers combined with the fat, solid body kick all kinds of ass for metal and more edgier stuff.  If I could have both guitars I would totally do it.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »
Or if I'm soloing, especially if it's with wah, my mouth is moving as though I'm having a conversation with someone.  But I have no clue that I'm doing it until I see video of it later.  Too funny.
I think a lot of people do this. I know Hetfield does.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2010, 11:30:46 AM »
I think a Strat and LP combination would pretty much cover all bases from metal to blues and everything in between.  I've never been a fan of the LP clean sound but the humbuckers combined with the fat, solid body kick all kinds of ass for metal and more edgier stuff.  If I could have both guitars I would totally do it.

Yeah, this was my thinking. I'd basically have all the music I'll ever want to play covered, as I'm never gonna be good enough technically to warrant a PRS or something. I think I might just get a Vintage, or maybe an Epi.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »
Epiphones are a great way to go. My G310 was £175, all I had to do was replace the stock pickups with some duncans and it's a great guitar! :D

I have that and an Ibanez 7321, which is 2 humbucker with 5 way selector switch and I put a Roland GK3 on it, so I have pretty much every base covered between those two minus a whammy bar and piezos.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »
It's not really about how I play, but I like to keep most of my cymbals very loose. I find it allows for more versatility of sound, since they echo more and, depending on how you hit them, can produce very different sounds.
Since, I don't have that many cymbals, in comparison to most prog-rock drummers, this versatility makes up for it.

Also, I like my throne quite close to my snare, but I sit far back on it.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »
It's not really about how I play, but I like to keep most of my cymbals very loose. I find it allows for more versatility of sound, since they echo more and, depending on how you hit them, can produce very different sounds.
Since, I don't have that many cymbals, in comparison to most prog-rock drummers, this versatility makes up for it.

I also like my cymbals rather loose (inb4 this is somehow taken out of context)

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »

Yeah, looking at my kit now...
my 20" Ride, 18" Crash, and my 12" splash are all without nuts or keys.
Only my 8" splash and my 18" China are tightened, considering they just sound better that way.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »

Only my 8" splash and my 18" China are tightened, considering they just sound better that way.
I have all mine screwed on with nuts, just rather loose. I like my ride right in the middle, but my 16", 18", and 19" crashes are rather loose but not to the point where I can't hit them in an eight note patter because it swings up and the stick hits the side of the cymbal (do you know what I'm talking about here? I don't know if I explained it well.).

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2010, 02:52:24 PM »

I have all mine screwed on with nuts, just rather loose. I like my ride right in the middle, but my 16", 18", and 19" crashes are rather loose but not to the point where I can't hit them in an eight note patter because it swings up and the stick hits the side of the cymbal (do you know what I'm talking about here? I don't know if I explained it well.).

Yeah, I know exactly what you're getting at.
I dont know how I do it, because my crash is very light and sensitive, and without a nut, it makes it very touchy. Yet, I can play 8th and 16th note patterns on it without worrying about the bounce-back problem. I guess I can play touchy when I need to.