Author Topic: OSI Signs with Metal Blade Records - New album this year!  (Read 12663 times)

Offline Pyroph

Re: OSI Signs with Metal Blade Records - New album this year!
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 04:18:48 PM »
Im with TAC on this one.
This band was an "idea"........then it became a band?
It's a fart that has lingered a little too long.

wat

Seriously, I don't understand a lot of these posts. If you don't like the band/project don't listen to them.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »
:lol

I suspect that some of the resentment on here comes from the generally high  profile/respect/admiration for the bandmembers in OSI (at least here on DTF), and the feeling that they should be doing better things with their skilz, e.g. Fates Warning
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2010, 04:49:17 PM »
I don't see any "resentment" expressed in the thread at all at all.  People don't like the band for one reason or another.  So what?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2010, 04:58:35 PM »
I get what Ludwig is saying. With Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos, OSI could be doing something awesome, like Awake style DT or Fates Warning during their prime.  Instead, they do... eh. Whatever it is you call that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
???  I don't understand that.  I like both of the examples you mentioned, and I generally don't like OSI, but I also don't expect that they should necessarily come together and make music that sounds like Awake style DT or Fates Warning.  They are making music that makes them happy and that a lot of fans DO consider as awesome as either of those other examples, so why shouldn't they continue doing that?  I'm just not following the last few posts at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »
What's the point in making a side-project that sounds almost exactly like the thing you do in your main band or the thing you left a band for?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »
???  I don't understand that.  I like both of the examples you mentioned, and I generally don't like OSI, but I also don't expect that they should necessarily come together and make music that sounds like Awake style DT or Fates Warning.  They are making music that makes them happy and that a lot of fans DO consider as awesome as either of those other examples, so why shouldn't they continue doing that?  I'm just not following the last few posts at all.

I don't know. People always say it's wrong to judge albums based on previous releases, or the previous output of the personal involved, but I probably have an equally tough time understanding how people are supposed to avoid having those expectations.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
There was a semi-interesting question asked at the beginning of the thread - 'Would you like OSI if not for the people in it?'

The answer is no, because no one else can write this kind of music. Nobody writes keyboards like Kevin Moore does. Nobody plays drums quite like Mike Portnoy or Gavin Harrison. I'm not a fan of Fates Warning, but Jim Matheos's work on OSI is like no other band out there. I like these musicians because they speak to me in unique and compelling ways.*

Also, just personally speaking, it took me a long time to get into OSI. I liked the style immediately, but couldn't quite latch onto the material for some time. Even though I like every member of Dream Theater's work in the band, not all the solo stuff works for me. I'm not a huge fan of the Mulmuzzler albums, I've listned to Platypus/Jelly Jam once ever, and I've never understood Sherinian's solo material. Am I biased toward Moore/Petrucci/Portnoy/Myung/Sherinian/Dominici/Rudess/LaBrie because they've been in Dream Theater? Of course, because their unique style is something I want to hear. But good music and bad music don't change no matter who writes it, and I don't waste time with the latter. I have better things to listen to, like OSI and Chroma Key. Because I like being multi-Mooregasmic.

Also, horray for new OSI!!!
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
I don't see any "resentment" expressed in the thread at all at all.  People don't like the band for one reason or another.  So what?

bosk, I was responding to Pyroph's post about the several negative/downer posts made about OSI.  Maybe the word "resentment" was a poor choice, but I guess I was trying to read between the lines in surmising why OSI's music tends to stick in some people's craw, so to speak.  TAC hotly intimated that the real reason the band enjoys any popularity at all is due to it's "famous" bandmembers.  For sure, OSI garners a lot of attention on DT forums (both positive and negative) strictly because of the names involved.  And PC's post about OSI's "untapped potential" suggests that he expected a whole lot more from a band that sports all-stars like Matheos, Moore, Harrison and Portnoy.  Not to mention several posters who pined for "less OSI" and "more Fates or Chroma Key".  

I just think that the subject matter of OSI, being the Dream Theater offshoot that it is and having players who are so near and dear to us DTFr's, will elicit slightly stronger reactions and touch off more "hot buttons" on these forums than your average prog-metal band.  In other words, OSI is a band that seems to carry a lot of baggage.    

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:28:20 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »
I get what Ludwig is saying. With Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos, OSI could be doing something awesome, like Awake style DT or Fates Warning during their prime.  Instead, they do... eh. Whatever it is you call that.

I call it good music.  Expectations can be a bitch sometimes.  :lol :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »
Wow, shame on me for missing this thread the last few days,.  My thoughts:

I'm thrilled that new material is on the way.  But frankly, I'm shocked.  Seems fast.  Blood was just released a year ago.  Now, new material?  For a late 2010 release, that pretty much means the album is completed -- or almost done.  Just considering Blood's timline, the mixing for Blood was finished in Dec. 2008, and the album was released 5 months later in May 2009.  So material for the new OSI must be pretty much complete.  That was fast.

Also, it bugs me some that Matheos is doing a third straight OSI record without having done a Fates Warning record.  He really needs to balance his projects better, in my opinion. I love OSI, but don't oversaturrate us with OSI.  Give us a taste of your other projects too!

Does anyone know how many albums Blood sold?  Just curious.  I'm assuming OSI's fanbase has really expanded because of the use of guest musicians -- Gavin brought Porcupine Trees fans and Mikael brought Opeth fans.  Just curious if Blood was OSI's best seller.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 05:10:42 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
I don't really care for Fates Warning at all and I'm not aware of any other Matheos projects, so more OSI is only a good thing in my opinion.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2010, 03:01:03 PM »
I get what Ludwig is saying. With Kevin Moore and Jim Matheos, OSI could be doing something awesome, like Awake style DT or Fates Warning during their prime.  Instead, they do... eh. Whatever it is you call that.

I call it good music.  Expectations can be a bitch sometimes.  :lol :lol

I realize my expectations are precisely the reason why I can't enjoy OSI as much as I could be.  Which is odd, because I could (and should) be saying the same thing about DT's post-ToT output, but for some reason I'm able to put my expectations aside for them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:50:48 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2010, 03:11:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was the most promoted too, I got lots of newsletters about it through burning shed.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2010, 04:21:28 PM »
Also, it bugs me some that Matheos is doing a third straight OSI record without having done a Fates Warning record.  He really needs to balance his projects better, in my opinion. I love OSI, but gives don't oversaturrate us with OSI.  Give us a taste of your other projects too!

I kinda know how you feel. I'm starting to wonder if there will ever be a new Chroma Key album.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2010, 04:23:07 PM »
If they feel like doing OSI, they should do it. There's nothing worse than creating music without the will to do it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
One has to wonder if Jim had a lot of unused music lying around that translated well into OSI.

https://breakdownroom.net/fateswarning-310.html
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »
Kev's voice is ok, it is monotone and lifeless at times, but it sorta fits the vibe of what they do musically. Even the rockin' stuff, it just works with it. I can't explain it.

Completely agree! There's nothing really very interesting about his voice whatsoever, but it really does fit the style and mood of the music, even in the heavy songs.

Anyway, exciting news, especially as I wasn't expecting new material so soon!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
I love his voice. I'm not sure why, but as soon as I heard OSI and Chroma Key, it really blew me away. I have always really liked his abstract lyrics and I think he's the only one who can vocally do them justice. There are many better singers but I would always prefer KM's lyrics sung by KM.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2010, 04:28:11 AM »
I love his voice. I'm not sure why, but as soon as I heard OSI and Chroma Key, it really blew me away. I have always really liked his abstract lyrics and I think he's the only one who can vocally do them justice. There are many better singers but I would always prefer KM's lyrics sung by KM.

:tup I agree.