Author Topic: What did you first envision the members of Dream Theater to look like?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline perfectchaos180

So its kind of a difficult question to answer, but when you first heard Dream Theater (hopefully not through live video or music video), what did you picture the band to look like?

So the first song I heard was Fatal Tragedy (around 2005), and I envisioned them to be guys in their early 20's, and I didn't envision them to look like "rockstars" at all. Short hair, just normal looking guys.  Didn't expect the asian dude.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
When I listened to SFAM for the first time. These two guitarists kick ass!!! I knew the name "Mike Portnoy" but hadn't seen him on pictures and just thought "He knows how to drum his kit", never considered an "asian dude" on the band either. The singer: something like Sonata Arctica's singer.

When I saw PMU video, "Wow, they are really effeminate!"

When I saw LSFNY "Oh... OK. Weird. And what a small venue! These guys are not really that popular! WTF?!?! So I guess they are not THIS good?!"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I pictured a jew with a blue beard on drums, an asian chick on bass, a bald pedo looking wizard on keys, fabio from rhapsody on vocals and a bear on guitar.

Am I the only one who was right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
No one expects asian!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
No one expects asian!

I knew the drummer was jewish, I figured there had to be asian to cook for him on the road.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
Bald pedo :metal

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Somehow I thought that Jesus was playing guitar

And then I saw M2000. Turns out he WAS playing guitar :eek

Offline Mladen

I actually saw the picture of the band before I heard a single song.  ;D

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Well when I first heard Pull Me Under I just thought "Hey this Rush song is much better than their other songs!"

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
I pictured a jew with a blue beard on drums, an asian chick on bass, a bald pedo looking wizard on keys, fabio from rhapsody on vocals and a bear on guitar.

Am I the only one who was right?
:rollin
Never expected asian either
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I didn't have to envision anything.  A friend of mine gave me the cassette of I&W.  I knew what they looked like before I even heard the music.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
fabio from rhapsody on vocals

LOL
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I think all that has to be said has been said in this thread. Great thread.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
I heard pull me under first. Checked them out of wiki and james was in the corner, jordan had his keytar and was at the front of the stage. I assumed for some reason Jordan was the singer  :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
 ??? Jordan is the singer. He's also the bassist.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
My first experience of Dream Theater was watching a live video of them. (i think)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Well when I first heard Pull Me Under I just thought "Hey this Rush song is much better than their other songs!"

That's pretty strange, considering "Pull Me Under" doesn't sound like Rush at all.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
I only really had a picture of James in my head when I first heard SFAM, and he looked pretty much the same way I imagined him.  Didn't really have a picture of the other guys, but I just figured they all had long hair.  Then I saw Score and figured 2.5/4 wasn't too bad.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
When I first listened to them (Scenes) I thought, "Wow, this has a real ninja feel".

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
The first DT album I ever bought was Live at Budokan and when looking at the pics I think I assumed Mike was the singer. I just remember thinking "these guys look nothing like they sound on Surrounded" (the first DT song I ever heard).

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
I came in here to say 'in b4 a bear', but Adami already said it.

in after 'a bear'
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
When I first listened to them (Scenes) I thought, "Wow, this has a real ninja feel".

haha wtf? That makes no sense.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
So its kind of a difficult question to answer, but when you first heard Dream Theater (hopefully not through live video or music video), what did you picture the band to look like?

So the first song I heard was Fatal Tragedy Home (around 2005), and I envisioned them to be guys in their early 20's, and I didn't envision them to look like "rockstars" at all. Short hair, just normal looking guys.  Didn't expect the asian dude.

My thoughts exactly upon first hearing them.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
LaBrie and Portnoy were really close. SFaM era Petrucci also looked kinda like I thought he would. The keyboardists I had no idea. And the asian bassist thing just threw me for a huge loop.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home

Well ninjas can't be seen and therefore John Myung doesn't have a face, therefore I didnt know what he looked like

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Well ninjas can't be seen and therefore John Myung doesn't have a face, therefore I didnt know what he looked like
This.  I heard them the first time on the radio, for pull me under, and I was suprised when I saw them live.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
I can't say how exactly I envisioned Labrie, but I certainly did not expect him to look like THAT.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline blackngold29

I was introduced through Live at Budokan, so yeah, they look pretty close to that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I thought Aqua Net hair and then I saw the picture and thought, "Who the hell would wear overalls in a prog band?!  Then I saw their faces and though Gene Roddenberry put them together for a five year mission to seek out new prog to boldly go where no prog band has gone before.........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ddtonfire

I actually saw the picture of the band before I heard a single song.  ;D
This. Around 2002, when the hair was all short. My first album was Images and Words. Boy was I confused; I couldn't tell which one was John Petrucci in the pictures. Come to think of it, it's time to spin Images and Words with the booklet in my hands.