Author Topic: Korn Thread  (Read 33181 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Korn Thread
« on: May 09, 2010, 02:31:04 PM »
Korn were the first band I ever seriously got into. They are the reason I listen to rock and metal at all. I don't worship them like I did back when I was 13, and they probably wouldn't make it in my top 10 or even top 20 favorite bands now, but I still love and respect them for getting me into music. Plus, Fieldy is one of my favorite bassists.

I understand this may be met with some opposition from people here - that's fine, I expect more people on this board to hate them than like them. This is for people who like Korn to discuss them.  :smiley:

Starting with...the newly released single!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ0NefLweYI

And another new song that has been out for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BukMP_qlhck&feature=related

Catchy, nice return to their roots, Jon sounds as good as he did back in '94...makes me pumped for the new album.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:38:21 PM by Gadough »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Korn Thread - Any Other Korn Fans Here?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
The new single is pretty good but I just kinda grew out of them. My interest stopped after Issues.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »
I really liked 'Follow the Leader' when it came out, it was my first encounter with Korn (Freak on a Leash.. still a very good song, their biggest hit and also one of their best IMO).

Later I began to check out Issues (pretty good) and the first two albums (I like the s/t but Life is Peachy not so much).

They really lost me with 'Take a Look in the Mirror', 'See You On The Other Side' and 'Untitled'. Some good tracks, but mostly the same problems: OR style over substance, OR sounding like old Korn, but in a forced manner.

I really love Korn for their signature bass-heavy pounding style. Nonetheless, 'Untouchables' is by far my favorite. Good melodies, nice atmosphere, everything is just great on that record!

The new song makes me curious though, sounds pretty neat.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
Nonetheless, 'Untouchables' is by far my favorite. Good melodies, nice atmosphere, everything is just great on that record!

Gotta agree with you on that one. That's probably the only Korn album where I like every song (with Hollow Life and Blame both being contenders for my favorite Korn song). It feels so full and complete.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 03:35:50 PM by Gadough »

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »
The only album I have is See you on the Other Side. I really like it and have no problems with it tbh.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
The only album I have is See you on the Other Side. I really like it and have no problems with it tbh.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
I think a large part of why See You... got poor reception is because the fanbase was still recovering from the shock of Head leaving, after having such a stable lineup for so long.

It's a decent record.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 04:44:42 PM »
Freak on a Leash is a good song, otherwise I don't really care to hear more.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »
Wow, I didn't even realize they had this many albums :lol
They were one of my favorite bands in middle school but I haven't listened to them in years. Couldn't get into Follow the Leader much, got Issues but that was where it ended.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »
My ex-girlfriend was a big fan, but I never really cared for them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
I got into them in '97 when LiP had been out for a little while after seeing the video for A.D.I.D.A.S and then realized I already liked Blind from hearing MTV use it as bumper music between segments in the past. After getting the first two albums from Columbia House*(that old dinosaur :lol) I quickly chose the s/t as my fave due to stronger efforts like Clown, Shoots and Ladders, and Fake.

Next, Follow the Leader came out and I listened to it at Blockbuster Music's kiosk and was blown away instantly at how creepily awesome It's On sounded and bought it pretty soon thereafter. Fell beyond in love with that album and adored songs like It's On, BBK, Dead Bodies Everywhere, and Justin(good cause naming it after a dying fan in the Make A Wish foundation.)

Issues came out and I wasn't impressed. Wake up was an isolated highlight amidst a sea of songs I liked but didn't love which was a bummer considering the momentum they had coming off FtL.

Untouchables restored my faith. Here to Stay is ominously heavy with that plodding intro riff and the other singles were all good choices which is something I hadn't been able to say since the s/t album.

After Untouchables, however, they kinda lost me for good but I really appreciate you making this thread since I went back and listened to Fake and now wanna delve back into them a little more tonight.

*A wonderful sale in which the deal was buy one, get one free, then get as many as you like for $3.99+tax+shipping. It wound up only being $6.64 per CD for all the ones that were $3.99 so I had a glorious 29-CD haul for only $190 which some of the members old enough to remember buying CDs for ALL of your music collection will agree was an absolute bargain.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:49:10 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »
Seems like Issues is where a lot of fans dropped off. I guess I can see why, it's got several filler tracks and the style switched up a bit, but I'd venture to call it their darkest album, so I've always wondered why fans didn't embrace it.

After Untouchables, however, they kinda lost me for good but I really appreciate you making this thread since I went back and listened to Fake and now wanna delve back into them a little more tonight.

No problem.  :tup You should definitely give Take a Look In the Mirror a listen. Easily their heaviest and one of their best.  :metal

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »
should definitely give Take a Look In the Mirror a listen. Easily their heaviest and one of their best.  :metal

Is that the one with Y'all Want a Single?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
should definitely give Take a Look In the Mirror a listen. Easily their heaviest and one of their best.  :metal

.....Yes......

Trust me, don't judge the album based off of that song. So much good stuff to be found on it, like Right Now, Alive, Did My Time, Play Me featuring Nas, etc.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
On the first listen to both of those new tracks, it seems like they are returning to their roots but something about it that sounds off...  In the production, Idk I feel the snare drum kinda sounds weird or something.  Otherwise, I'm looking to hear the new album

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

.....Yes......

Trust me, don't judge the album based off of that song. So much good stuff to be found on it, like Right Now, Alive, Did My Time, Play Me featuring Nas, etc.

I'll get on it soon :tup

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 11:34:30 PM »
I love me some occasional Korn to get some GRRRR out of my system.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 01:14:13 AM »
My interest stopped after Issues.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 04:21:04 AM »
Korn were THE band for me in high school.  When I listened to the self titled, I found it so shocking yet so amazing at the same time, one of the best debuts ever.  Life is Peachy I had a soft spot for.  No Place to Hide and Good God are classics.  Follow the Leader again was a classic album.  It's On, Seed, BBK, Dead Bodies Everywhere, Got the Life, classic.

Issues is by far my favourite Korn album.  Such a dark, broody atmosphere all the way through, it just grabs me and holds me every time I listen to it. Falling Away from Me, Trash, U, Wake Up, Make Me Bad, Counting, an amazing album.  Never understood the dislike for it.

Untouchables was great also, Blame, Here to Stay, Thoughtless, great stuff.  The last 3 albums are a bit lackluster after the amazing run of albums Korn had.  The new single sounds interesting, hopefully a better album than the untitled.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »
I guess I shouldn't post here... Probably the only band with an actual discography I almost hate (and the reason is the universally loved debut, not anything later).

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 01:26:26 PM »
This thread needs a serious bump.

I saw Korn on saturday at ozzfest, and they are definately one of the best live bands I've ever seen. They were on top form, played a great set too.

Their new album is definately one of their bests. Major improvement from the previous two. Pop a Pill is one of my favourite korn tracks, seeing it live was soo good.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 01:37:13 PM »
I liked their first three albums best
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »
I'm starting to really appreciate See You On The Other Side, much more than when it first came out. Solid album.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
Self titled was all the rage when I was like, 5 or something.  I really liked it.  To my young mind it was kind of like the Eminem of nu metal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 06:16:22 AM »
I tried to like the new album, but it really didn't do it for me.  Fear is a Place to Live, The Past and Are YOu Ready to Live are amazing.  Most of the other songs are just too plain and boring for me.  Maybe I should give it another spin.

With all the comparing, it just doesn't have 'extreme' moments that the first two albums have.  The first album had; 'Ball Tongue chorus, Clown, the darkness of Need To, the end of Divine, the lyrical arrangement or Shoots and Ladders, Faget, and of course Daddy.'

Life is Peachy had; 'Twist, Good God chorus, Kunts, ADIDAS and Kill You.  Plus the dark atmosphere throughout the whole album is immense. 

The new album just didn't have moments like this.  really only Are you Ready to Live is the song that slightly reminds me of the old times.  Korn will never produce these moments again.  The bonus tracks also were just horrible.  It's a step in the right direction for them, but no where near the same league as the first two.

Kosmo

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 06:37:24 AM »
My friend really likes them, it's the only rock/metal band wich i didn't introduce to him, i'm generally more into melodic stuff.
But i really listened to a lot at one point but then it just kind of..stopped.

But i still listen to a few of their albums on occasions:
Untouchables (Best them)
Untitled (Yes Untitled, not self titled  :laugh:)
Issues

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 07:06:17 AM »
I really like the unplugged-album, but the rest is the type of music i listened to 5-6 years ago, and the type of music i have no interest in anymore.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 01:56:02 PM »
I acutally like Issues - See You On The Other Side better than the first 3.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »
Korn will never produce these moments again.

No, of course not. It's silly to expect them to becuase they're not a bunch of pissed-off, broke, angsty teenagers anymore. Their surroundings and emotions is what fueled the first few albums. Now they're middle-aged millionaires. Any fan who honestly expects them to recapture those old feelings is asking and expecting too much out of them.

That being said, I love the new album and I think it's the closest they can possibly get to their old sound at this point. Definitely worth checking out for any Korn fan.

Untitled (Yes Untitled, not self titled  :laugh:)

Gross.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
Korn will never produce these moments again.

No, of course not. It's silly to expect them to becuase they're not a bunch of pissed-off, broke, angsty teenagers anymore. Their surroundings and emotions is what fueled the first few albums. Now they're middle-aged millionaires. Any fan who honestly expects them to recapture those old feelings is asking and expecting too much out of them.

Don't tell me that, tell the band.   I never expected them to have those sorts of moments again, it was the band that made everyone into believing that they were in the same sort of head space that they were in the first two albums. 

Kosmo

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 09:50:14 AM »
What is with the general hate towards Untitled?  :laugh:

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 10:07:31 AM »
follow the leader is a great album, after that it's a bit repetitive.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »
I'm loving Falling Away From Me atm, "Beating me down, down, into the ground" such awesome lyrics.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
Used to be a fan but it was a long time ago...I'll have to check them out again I guess.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 10:10:57 AM »
I would definately check out their new album, much more like their first two albums.