Author Topic: Korn Thread  (Read 33180 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Korn Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2019, 05:30:53 AM »
It seems to be reviewing really well. Haven't listened to Korn for more than a decade, but I've heard their last one was good as well. I will probably check it out.

The last one was a nice attempt to go back to their roots.  It was okay but nothing special IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »
Been listening to their latest the last few days and I think it’s very good. Almost as good as the latest Slipknot imo.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2020, 04:20:39 PM »
Been listening to their latest the last few days and I think it’s very good. Almost as good as the latest Slipknot imo.

I wouldn't say it's as good as the Slipknot but it's a very nice album.  Best since Issues IMO.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
Sooooo I’ve heard Korn, but I’ve never *really listened* to Korn before.

Quite a few years ago I acquired their first 5 albums (Korn-Untouchables) and SYOTOS when a dear friend who ran a record store out of his home passed away, and his son wanted me to take a bunch of his inventory off his hands. (Heck, I may have posted in this thread ages ago, but I wouldn’t remember)

Long story short…I threw Life is Peachy and Issues on my music player this week, and I found myself really enjoying some of those tracks.

One thing that stood out to me was Jonathan’s vocals. I like the way that he does three very different, yet very distinct things with his voice. First he does the “barking shout” thing. It’s not like a death metal type Cookie Monster vocals exactly…it’s more like a deep shouting voice, so that’s one. Then he has his “unsound mind creepy whine” thing which is always slightly disturbing. Then his does his actual gravelly singing…which is where I immediately think, “Chester from Linkin Park TOTALLY ripped of Jonathan’s style!”

Now, he may just do those things, and that’s his schtick…but honestly, how many vocalists can say they have three entirely different vocal styles that they rotate in their repertoire? So I find it a bit refreshing in a way. It keeps things interesting because most guys will stick to one or two things.

Anyway, I’ll be doing some deeper digging into this band that has mostly flown under my radar for the past 2-3 decades. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2021, 09:03:48 PM »
I've been quite into Korn in my teen days. I fell out of them after SYOTOS. My favorite album would have to be Issues, but I also like TALITM.

It was after Head came back when my interest peaked again, and I really enjoyed their album TSOS, which I feel is a great follow up to their sound on TALITM.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2021, 12:47:43 AM »
Sooooo I’ve heard Korn, but I’ve never *really listened* to Korn before.

Quite a few years ago I acquired their first 5 albums (Korn-Untouchables) and SYOTOS when a dear friend who ran a record store out of his home passed away, and his son wanted me to take a bunch of his inventory off his hands. (Heck, I may have posted in this thread ages ago, but I wouldn’t remember)

Long story short…I threw Life is Peachy and Issues on my music player this week, and I found myself really enjoying some of those tracks.

One thing that stood out to me was Jonathan’s vocals. I like the way that he does three very different, yet very distinct things with his voice. First he does the “barking shout” thing. It’s not like a death metal type Cookie Monster vocals exactly…it’s more like a deep shouting voice, so that’s one. Then he has his “unsound mind creepy whine” thing which is always slightly disturbing. Then his does his actual gravelly singing…which is where I immediately think, “Chester from Linkin Park TOTALLY ripped of Jonathan’s style!”

Now, he may just do those things, and that’s his schtick…but honestly, how many vocalists can say they have three entirely different vocal styles that they rotate in their repertoire? So I find it a bit refreshing in a way. It keeps things interesting because most guys will stick to one or two things.

Anyway, I’ll be doing some deeper digging into this band that has mostly flown under my radar for the past 2-3 decades.

Check the debut.  Brutal, raw and dark record with some tremendous tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2021, 12:48:29 AM »
I've been quite into Korn in my teen days. I fell out of them after SYOTOS. My favorite album would have to be Issues, but I also like TALITM.

It was after Head came back when my interest peaked again, and I really enjoyed their album TSOS, which I feel is a great follow up to their sound on TALITM.

Issues is almost on a par with the debut for me.  That's a fabulous album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2021, 04:05:41 AM »
KoRn for me are one of those bands like Muse where I don't really like them at all but they just have a few songs I enjoy.

I like Shoots and Ladders, Here To Stay. Maybe a couple more. But on the whole, not really.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2021, 05:00:09 AM »
The classic Korn sound is great but my favorite and most played Korn album is Untouchables. Really good melodic and atmospheric songwriting there. ‘Hollow Life’ is so awesome.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2021, 05:08:35 AM »
Whilst Ross Robinson is responsible for their 'sound' I always thought he was a dreadful producer. Especially Korn III Remember Who You Are.

Oildale sounded like a demo. It has no punch to it and the guitars sounded like telecasters into those 2watt marshall clip on amps.

It was so flat and muddy. And that's every Ross Robinson album.

Like - he'll use the shittest take because he thinks it sounds more 'real'.

...Oh and Ray Luzier is clearly the best musician in the band. Amazing drummer.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2021, 06:17:26 AM »
I was watching some videos of Ray and he really is amazing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2021, 08:44:29 AM »
The classic Korn sound is great but my favorite and most played Korn album is Untouchables. Really good melodic and atmospheric songwriting there. ‘Hollow Life’ is so awesome.

I agree with this as well. Untouchables has some awesome writing on it and I love how the vibe is captured in the songwriting. It's really depressing and Thoughtless is one of my favorite songs of Korn.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2021, 11:08:45 AM »

Issues is almost on a par with the debut for me.  That's a fabulous album.

The debut and Issues are my two favourite Korn albums as well. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2021, 04:33:19 PM »
Was pumped yesterday to hear Korn had a new song.  Checked it out last night and damn, it's awful.  :(

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2021, 02:35:11 AM »
It's very commercial sounding.

Reminds me of Untouchables or something. The vocals seem disconnected to the music.

Also Ray Luzier should have been in my fave drummers thread. By far the best musician in the band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2021, 09:03:03 AM »
What made Korns music for me is The Groove. Now since Fieldy isn't there, that groove he brought into the music isnt there anymore.

Now they just sound like any other metal band. There is no distinctive tone.

We'll see how the rest goes though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2021, 09:29:56 AM »
I just checked it out. I thought it was pretty good but it is missing a little something with Fieldy not there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2021, 10:27:59 AM »
What made Korns music for me is The Groove. Now since Fieldy isn't there, that groove he brought into the music isnt there anymore.

Now they just sound like any other metal band. There is no distinctive tone.

We'll see how the rest goes though.

I just checked it out. I thought it was pretty good but it is missing a little something with Fieldy not there.

Fieldy recorded the album before his hiatus...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »
Oh wow, well then color me embarrassed lol. I guess I just didn't hear normal clanking of his bass.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »
I did not know that either. I had to do some digging to find some information about it, and found out they had recorded the album already back around march and were waiting for a good time to release the album. So that's cool to know.

Scratch that statement I made then. I listened to it more and I can hear his tone now, it's buried and blends with the guitar tones but it's there.

I don't think it's that bad of a song, I think that chorus is where my issue is. The beginning singing reminds me of Seether, Shinedown, that style of chorus.

This will be a fun song live though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2021, 12:45:55 PM »
When Jon started singing I thought it sounded like Nickelback.

I wonder who produced this album.

Also the artwork for the new album looks HELLA cheap.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2021, 12:56:31 PM »
Jons vocals in the verses are terrible.  Dunno what the hell he's thinking here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2021, 02:52:32 PM »
Maybe going for that Shoots and Ladders vibe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2021, 07:27:14 AM »
Speaking of Ray Luzier - David Silveria dos not look great these days...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2021, 08:06:22 AM »
Speaking of Ray Luzier - David Silveria dos not look great these days...

Looking at this photo I don't know what you think looks 'not great' about him. He doesn't look like he did when he was in Korn. People get older, some gain some weight, what's the big deal?  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: November 15, 2021, 08:28:03 AM »
Fine google your own pics... He looks bloated AF and really unwell.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #236 on: February 07, 2022, 12:50:57 AM »
New album 'Requiem' came out a few days ago. The last few years when Korn drops a new album I always give it at least one listen. I quite like this one. It's quite short (32 minutes) but it's very effective, strong songs throughout. The closest thing I've heard them come to the 'Untouchables' sound again (which is by far my favorite).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: February 07, 2022, 03:25:28 AM »
New album 'Requiem' came out a few days ago. The last few years when Korn drops a new album I always give it at least one listen. I quite like this one. It's quite short (32 minutes) but it's very effective, strong songs throughout. The closest thing I've heard them come to the 'Untouchables' sound again (which is by far my favorite).

I hated the first single released so haven't bothered with it yet.  I really liked the last one though so I will check this one out.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2022, 02:42:05 PM »
https://www.tmz.com/2022/03/25/korn-tour-bus-hit-bullet-gun/

Crazy, fortunately no one was on the bus. Could've been much worse.