Author Topic: Korn Thread  (Read 33174 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Korn Thread
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
Korn III was hilariously bad.

Ross Robinson should not be allowed in a studio.

Trading Standards should take him to court just for calling himself a " producer ".

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
I can see how a lot of fans would look at this with a wary eye, though.

Oh yes, certainly. I am as well. I'm very cautiously optimistic about this dubstep album.

@Koto: Ross is overrated, but he was integral to their early sound. You can't really deny that.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Summers

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 04:10:48 AM »
Yup QOTD was amazing. It sucks he couldn't sing on the Soundtrack and Film, because his vocals on Forsaken are 10x more haunting than David Dramin(sp?) From Disturbed, and the Orgy guy.

Have you seen the Sirius Radio sessions?  Pretty awesome - Forsaken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et8CczkuiSU
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
New album is called "The Path to Totality" and will be released on November 15.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162499

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
 :lol  Korn on the Dub

Just when you thought that "band" couldn't sink any lower than "Korn III"  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
New album is called "The Path to Totality" and will be released on November 15.

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162499

Not a fan of DJ style electronic music in the slightest, but I'm keen to pick this up.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
As usual Wolf, I agree with you. I'm definitely gonna give it a chance because I think Korn can make this work. But I'm not expecting to be blown away. I'm not expecting much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
As usual Wolf, I agree with you. I'm definitely gonna give it a chance because I think Korn can make this work. But I'm not expecting to be blown away. I'm not expecting much.

Yeah mate exactly.  Get Up as we said earlier was a catchy little piece, but overall I'm in it for something different, and who knows, it might work really well.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
I don't like the song. i think its shit.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »
I don't like the song. i think its shit.

same with the band, album, etc... especially now days
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
I have to admit, Korn is getting hard to defend. But I still like 'em.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2011, 11:59:50 AM »
I listened to the back in the day. They were pretty alright, but now I consider them to be a running joke.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »
I listened to the back in the day. They were pretty alright, but now I consider them to be a running joke.

+1. I consider them a victim of the times passing them by. What they were doing in '94 was entertaining but nothing that Prong and KYUSS weren't already hinting at for years with the whole groove-before-shred mentality. They just wore prettier clothes and looked better on posters in the minds of teenagers at the time. That aside, they were totally enjoyable for most of their releases through Untouchables. After that I couldn't form a thorough opinion because I literally couldn't make it halfway through an album before realizing:

Head, Munky, and Silveria-same old song and dance

Fieldy-never gonna learn how to make even 40% of his notes actual pitches rather than slapping muted strings (I'm sorry but even for a band of Korn's simplicity this is apalling)

Jon-blew through his vocal chords by never learning proper technique (where the fuck is Melissa Cross when you need her?) then attempted to learn how to sing traditionally. One decade in and this is STILL a work in progress?

Nowadays, most metal bands are back to shredding and are comfortably heavier than Korn ever was so there is just very little about their music that is dynamically captivating any more. Fear Factory, although much better imo, kinda seems to have fallen into this same dilemma.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »
Still though, the best nu-metal band to this day is Deftones.
I AM A GUY

• DT.net Member
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

Nah, Mudvayne. They've had  a bum album or two but LD50, The End of All Things to Come, and a fair bit of Lost and Found are damn good. Also Ryan Martinie and Matt McDonough also have more raw ability and groove than just about any other band to ever be associated with nu-metal.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
Mudvayne is pretty awesome, but I wouldn't think of them as a nu-metal band first.
I AM A GUY

• DT.net Member
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
Mudvayne is pretty awesome, but I wouldn't think of them as a nu-metal band first.

Word. More of a default thing since it becomes an "if not 'that', then what?" scenario. They're certainly not rock.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Mudvayne is a good band. I love Chad's vocals and Ryan kills it on bass.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »
^Totally. Matt McDonough is a spectacular drummer too. Crushing style while never abusing double bass pulses since the vast majority of his double bass work is legit rhythms and not just 16th-note pulses like in most metal. It's sad they don't have a good guitarist cuz while Greg does an okay job at times he really seems to hold the band back from being a truly magnificent band.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
I agree. Greg is definitely the weakest leak. His guitar is the reason so many people labeled Mudvayne "just another nu metal band." He's not bad though.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
I almost consider him bad just for being a sort of one trick pony. Too much of the old 0-2-3 (fretwise) power chord progression in drop-C (or drop-B if we're talking LD50.) It almost comes off like he has no ideas of his own and decides to play rhythm for the rhythm section. If they ever had a falling out and replaced him I'd have to celebrate with a Twix.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »
I remember a rumor few years ago that he was leaving; it got to the point where he had to do an interview to end the rumors. I didn't lose any sleep over the possibility.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
I got their self-titled the other day and it's the closest they've gotten to the good ol' days of LD50/TEoATtC with anything they've released since TEoATtC. Greg even "tries" solo-ing but they're usually only 5-10 second runs that seem more like a guitar fill where he'll have a quick cluster of notes to get me excited thinking something cool's coming up and then it gets boring and uninspired very quickly.

Really sucks that they'll likely never reach their full potential since it seems like Greg's a poor man's Dan Donegan (Disturbed.) By this I mean that Donegan gets a little better each album while still failing to be all that interesting or impressive with his leads. It's been eleven years since The Sickness so you'd think since he's gotten a little shreddier with every release since 10,000 Fists that being a capable and creative lead player would be something of a priority to him but maybe he just feels like taking the smoke and mirrors approach by playing anything remotely speedy just to get applause from fans that aren't all that concerned with legit lead skills.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2011, 08:43:24 AM »
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Kosmo

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2011, 06:53:28 AM »
True story.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »
This new album sounds interesting! Maybe I'll check it out...

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2011, 09:04:05 PM »
punk ass sissy im a freak
punk ass sissy im a frEAK

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
Not a fan of that song TBH, but that part is catchy.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
What Korn song was it that had Terry Bozzio on it?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2011, 09:12:30 PM »
I think he did some songs on the Untitled album. Or he just toured with them. I don't remember.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2011, 01:43:44 AM »
1990's Korn when Head was still in the band > 2000's Korn with the dudes wearing the rabbit masks
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2011, 04:49:33 AM »
I think he did some songs on the Untitled album. Or he just toured with them. I don't remember.

No, he just did about 6 or 7 songs on Untitled, he never toured with them.  He either left or he was fired because he wanted more money or something.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2011, 06:03:49 AM »
1990's Korn when Head was still in the band > 2000's Korn with the dudes wearing the rabbit masks

Head > Korn

David Silveria > New Drummer.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »

Head > Korn

David Silveria > New Drummer.
yes.

On another note, a friend of my uncle's somehow acquired Korn's original tour bus/trailer thing. He called it the Korn Koach. My uncle used to kick it in there.. lucky bastard.  :hat
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »