Author Topic: skydivingninja's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs! (Starts at Page 9)  (Read 80947 times)

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
Re: Quad's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs!
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2010, 06:01:23 AM »
TGP is my number one, first big conflict so far though.
gone

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »
Nice to see Under a Glass Moon relatively high up on your list.

This.  Its one of the songs from Images that I don't listen to as often as I should, because it kicks my ass every time I hear it.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2010, 06:57:50 AM »
Nice to see Under a Glass Moon relatively high up on your list.

This.  Its one of the songs from Images that I don't listen to as often as I should, because it kicks my ass every time I hear it.

Yup, probably my 3rd favorite DT song. Everything is great about it; riffs, vocals, drums, bass, lyrics, and JP's best solo.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2010, 09:48:20 AM »
TGP is my number one, first big conflict so far though.

I know I'm in the extreme minority, but "The Glass Prison" is probably in my bottom 5-10 DT songs.  It is too much unrelenting heavyness without any moments that come up for air or slow down or let the song breath.  If I'm dealing with a long song, I prefer that it take me more of a journey and mix things up more.  Like Voices.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
Wow. Not a lot of people have TGP below the top ten...

I do.  In fact, it is borderline top 20 for me, so I have no problem at all with its spot here.

Weird to see "Erotomania" so low, but hey, to each his own. :)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Wow. Not a lot of people have TGP below the top ten...

I do.  In fact, it is borderline top 20 for me, so I have no problem at all with its spot here.

Same here actually.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:58 PM »
Today's update (Prepare for BAAW):

20. "A Change of Seasons" - A Change of Seasons [EP]

In all honesty, I've never understood how anyone could rank this song higher than they do. It really isn't as good as most people say it is, and for me, while it's a great song, there are a lot more songs that Dream Theater does that beat this out, by a lot. Had this song been about 10 minutes shorter it would have been much better in my opinion. It feels like it was forced into being 20 minutes, when it really shouldn't have been.

19. "Trial of Tears" - Falling Into Infinity

This song features some awesome lyrics, and I love the feel of it. I was lucky enough to get part of the song during the Schmedly Wilcox Medley that the band did during the touring cycle for SC, and it was opened with JR sitting on the edge of the stage playing with this really cool thing that made the opening to this song awesome and even more atmospherically than it is on FII. This is the best song on FII by quite a bit.

18. "A Nightmare to Remember" - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

This song caught me by surprise when I was ranking these songs. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I made this list. It's pretty incredible and shocked me when I realized I dug this song more than the two I just mentioned on this list. The intro is one of the best openings DT has ever done on an album, and the middle section about the character laying in a hospital bed is even more stunning.

17. "Misunderstood" - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

I really like this song quite a bit, and I've been lucky enough to see it twice as DT played it both time I saw them. I know a lot of people hate the outro, but for me I think it makes the song 300x better. It's one of the most experimental things DT has ever done and I honestly can't get enough of it. The way the song starts with the simple chordplay riffs and builds into what it becomes is truly a testament to what DT is really capable of.

16. "Scene Six: Home" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

Ahh, Home. I didn't appreciate this song until about 12 or so months ago. For some reason it took a few years to click and up until last year this song probably would have been in my bottom 10 DT songs. Now whenever I listen to it, something about it really just makes me want the song to never end. Not much else to say.. Oh, the Middle Eastern-esque part is really cool too.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
Five great choices, definitely!  Four of them would definitely be in my top 20, and the other ("A Nightmare to Remember") is mostly excellent, as well.

I agree that "A Change of Seasons" isn't the end-all be-all of DT songs like many think it is, but it is still terrific and a borderline top 10 DT song in my book.

I also like the outro to "Misunderstood" a lot.  It just works. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2010, 01:36:59 PM »
 :'(
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2010, 02:53:02 PM »
ANTR ranked higher than ACOS makes my parents cry.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
Cool to see Nightmare ranked so high, it's probably in my top 10 DT songs.  :metal
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2010, 03:06:22 PM »
ANTR being higher than ACoS (which would probably be around the same area on my list) and TRIAL OF AMAZING FUCKING TEARS makes baby Jesus cry.  I do love Home though, so some small props for that.  Never really got into all of Misunderstood thanks to that stupid outro, but the radio edit on GreateSt HIT mostly fixes that.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2010, 03:21:35 PM »
I agree with you about ACoS being overrated, and I also love Misunderstood AND it's outro. I am one of the seemingly few people who really doesn't rate ANTR all that highly though.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2010, 05:30:49 PM »
Great choices there, love all 5 of those songs. Nightmare would make my top 10, its such an awesome song  :metal

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »
A Change of Seasons is too low for me, but Misunderstood totally deserved that. :metal

But Nightmare to Remember? :|
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »
ANTR being higher than ACoS (which would probably be around the same area on my list) and TRIAL OF AMAZING FUCKING TEARS makes baby Jesus cry.
THIS
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2010, 12:42:22 AM »
Sad to see ACOS that low.  :-[ Maybe it's a bit overrated but it's my favorite DT song.
Never really got into all of Misunderstood thanks to that stupid outro, but the radio edit on GreateSt HIT mostly fixes that.
I agree! The outro is annoying but fortunately the edit version doesn't have it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2010, 02:31:17 AM »
Interesting to see A Nightmare to remember above A Change of seasons. It would make my top 25, though, a truly great song.  :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2010, 09:35:28 AM »
Yes, Misunderstood. Probably a top 5 DT song for me. Excellent atmosphere with great lyrics, JLB in top form, and heavy guitars. To top it off, a (for DT standards) pretty experimental, deranged outro. I love it, and I wished DT pursued this direction some more.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »
Yes, Misunderstood. Probably a top 5 DT song for me. Excellent atmosphere with great lyrics, JLB in top form, and heavy guitars. To top it off, a (for DT standards) pretty experimental, deranged outro. I love it, and I wished DT pursued this direction some more.

I'm glad at least someone else understands how amazing this song is.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
Good exercise, and I'm interested in see what is coming next. 

BTW, good call on ACOS.  In fact, I actually think it should be rated lower--somewhere in the 20's or 30's.  To be honest, I'm not that much of a fan of DT's really epic songs, at least those that get beyond the 15-20 minute mark.  There are some exceptions--6Degrees has grown on me, and I really love Count of Tuscany, but I find the 20-30 minute songs to be either overly repetitive or simply an exercise in wankery, and that most of them could easily have been better with 5-10 minutes shaved off. 

Looking forward the the rest.  Obviously, PMU, LTL, 6DOIT will make the list.  I'm also hoping for Peruvian Skies, Great Debate, Endless Sacrifice, In the Name of God and Surrounded. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »

I understand how amazing most of this song is.  But the outro slays me.  For that reason, I'm glad that the "radio edit" was included on Greatest Hit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »

I understand how amazing most of this song is.  But the outro slays me.  For that reason, I'm glad that the "radio edit" was included on Greatest Hit.

:lol I can definitely understand why people may not like it, but for me, it makes the song that much more incredible.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »
15. "Take the Time" - Images & Words

Another cool song off I&W. I'd really like to see this song played live because I feel it'd go over well. The introduction is something really cool that DT only did once, and I think it worked. Classic DT song.

14. "Endless Sacrifice" - Train of Thought

One of my favorites from ToT. The dichotomy of the song from somber, low ended and depressing verses/choruses to the wacky instrumental section is one of my favorite polarities that DT has done. Usually, the wankery of DT gets a little overbearing, but in this case, I feel that it was done pretty well.

13. "Surrounded" - Images & Words

One of the songs that I feel doesn't get enough credit from DT fans. This song has always been one of my favorite DT songs and it always has a special spot for me. I know the guitar solo is never played live because it's really a simple delayed effect, but I adore it. The version of this song on the Chaos In Motion DVD is the best thing about that DVD. the "Mother" solo and the Marillion lyrics just make it such a cool experience.

12. "Blind Faith" - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

I feel like this song is either a hit or miss for most DT fans, so I'll understand if it pisses some off to see it so high, but it's just incredibly awesome. If anyone thinks that LaBrie shouldn't be writing lyrics then they should listen to this song again. My favorite aprt is the JR piano break in the middle.

11. "Scene Seven: I. The Dance of Eternity" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

The best instrumental DT has ever pulled off. There really aren't enough good things I could say about this song. I think it features something like 30 or so meter signature changes, and it's almost impossible to tap your foot to because of that. Everything about this song reeks of quintessential DT and I'd be thrilled if I got to see it live.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
Good to see Surrounded so high up :tup

And YES! SPACE DYE VEST IS IN THE TOP TEN :metal

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2010, 05:05:20 PM »
Interesting collection here, as three of the five in this group have benefited from some really awesome performances on the SC tour.  While I wouldn't have TTT or Dance of Eternity up this high, the other three definitely belong in the top 20, and in fact, I'd put Endless Sacrifice in the top ten on a good day.  
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2010, 05:12:44 PM »
"Endless Sacrifice?"  wtf?

Interesting to see TDEN up there, and pretty damn cool to see "Surrounded so high."

But "Endless Sacrifice?"
"ENDLESS SACRIFIIIIIIICE"
*CIRCUS MUSIC! :neverusethis:*

I think that if that song had been severely edited, and the main theme didn't sound so much like that Michael Jackson song it would have been pretty good.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2010, 05:14:06 PM »

I was thinking the same exact thing.  We share a similar taste in DT music, PLM.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »

I was thinking the same exact thing.  We share a similar taste in DT music, PLM.

That's because we both love Kevin Mur

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »

That's because we both love Kevin Mur

Yep!  Kevin Mur, fur sur!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
YES! SPACE DYE VEST IS IN THE TOP TEN :metal
How do you know?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:06 PM »
13. "Surrounded" - Images & Words

Light to dark, dark to light, light to dark, dark to light.

One of my favorite Labrie moments.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »
YES! SPACE DYE VEST IS IN THE TOP TEN :metal
How do you know?

I don't.

I'm celebrating in advance in case it is.

Which it should be :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2010, 03:41:44 AM »
Dance of eternity...  :tup :tup :tup

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2010, 06:15:48 AM »
11. "Scene Seven: I. The Dance of Eternity" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

Let's just say that I don't quite agree with this one.

The rest of the list is a mixed bag for me. Personally, I'd rate TTT much higher, BF's ranking is OK, I guess. Props to you for having Surrounded as a top 15 song. Endless Sacrifice probably won't make it into my top 50, and TDOE... see above.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.