Author Topic: skydivingninja's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs! (Starts at Page 9)  (Read 81205 times)

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
Re: Quad's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs!
« Reply #245 on: May 22, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »
Yeah, Pirate, that was not cool.  While I might disagree with some of these picks and the omission of certain songs, I am giving Quad crap mostly in jest, which I am sure most others are, too.  It is his list and he can put the songs in any order he wants.  Don't like it?  Make your own list.
But of course my comment was also in jest! Heh heh heh   :-[ Who am I to criticize one of the brave few that share their in depth opinions! And no, I refuse to make a list past simply ordering the songs. I have the time lol, but nay the concentration.

Oh yeah Quad hurry up we are all waiting  ;)

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: May 22, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »
Voices and Scarred arent't in your top 50...I just don't understand.

Well, to be fair, I haven't posted number 1 yet, so you can't say that just yet. >_>
There are still SDOIT, Voices and Scarred that haven't been ranked. Two of them won't make the cut, which is pretty surprising. But hey, you had a lot of interesting choices, and it was interesting to follow your top 50.

BTW, I still think SDOIT is your #1 :P
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
1. "You Not Me" - Falling Into Infinity

There are few songs that do for me what "You Not Me" does. Everything about this song is absolutely flawless, from the amazing lyrics crafted by Petrucci and perfected by Desmond Child, to the absolutely stunning guitar solo to the delivery of LaBrie's vocals. One of the other things about this song that absolutely blows my mind is the musical reference to "Raise the Knife" that appears about halfway through on the keyboards. Speaking of keyboards, this song also has my favorite keyboard riffs delivered by Derek out of all of the material he worked on during his run with Dream Theater. Overall, a great song, and one of my favorites, perhaps my all-time favorite.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2010, 07:45:04 PM »
lol you got me :neverusethis:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »
:splodetard:
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
lol

:|
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
I withdraw my statement. Take your Time, man!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #252 on: May 22, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
OK I'll stop fooling around.

1. "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

I guess you all saw it coming, but yea, 6DOIT is my favorite DT song. The only possible negative thing I can say about this song is that I feel the Overture drags a little bit, but other than that it is pure musical perfection, and I always find myself enjoying it whenever I listen to it. In particular, the "Solitary Shell" movement has had an extremely enormous impact on my life. It was the first time in my life that I had listened to a song and felt that the artist had written a song about me. I related to much to the lyrics that I was listening to SS everyday for quite a while. I don't have autism, but I was a pretty lonesome person throughout most of my Middle School/High School years and the lyrics literally describe me to a T, and back in my sophomore year of High school when I first heard this song I was so stunned and amazed at the beauty of the song that I knew right then and there that DT would be one of my favorite bands, and that "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" would be one of my favorite songs.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
 :tup The only drawback of 6DOIT for me is Goodnight Kiss. The guitar solo is sick, but the song itself is torture for me to listen to...

Every other part of 6DOIT is amazing though.  :metal I love the overture especially.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2010, 08:31:59 PM »
No Voices... that is highly disappointing...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »

At least point I can freely say that I hate both "Voices" and "Scarred".

Both would be in my Bottom 10 DT songs, right with "Constant Motion", "You Not Me", and some other classic failgems.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2010, 08:37:20 PM »
Poor choice for #1, IMO. I can't say I've ever actually enjoyed listening to the song Six Degrees in its entirety.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

Both would be in my Bottom 10 DT songs, right with "Constant Motion", "You Not Me", and some other classic failgems.

You need to listen to Awake more. Or atleast just Erotomania/Voices.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2010, 08:39:34 PM »

Hate?

Nobody hates Voices. Not even Blobbers. Why don't you like it so much?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »

:sadpanda:
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #260 on: May 22, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
Poor choice for #1, IMO. I can't say I've ever actually enjoyed listening to the song Six Degrees in its entirety.

I'm sorry to hear that.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #261 on: May 22, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »
I like all of the individual parts of the song, but for me, "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is best listened to in pieces.  As a whole, it seems a bit choppy at times and doesn't flow that well, IMO, but each individual part is still good enough for me to like it as a whole, even if I almost never listen to the whole thing all the way through.  But the last two minutes is still the most unnecessary thing ever.  It was almost like they made the fadeout extra long just to make a super long song even longer.  Otherwise, what was the purpose?  

Regardless, nice job with this thread! :tup :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »

Hate?

Nobody hates Voices. Not even Blobbers. Why don't you like it so much?

Because it is a bad song. (By DT standards)
space cadet, pull out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2010, 08:42:21 PM »
You're wrong.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
I like all of the individual parts of the song, but for me, "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" is best listened to in pieces.  As a whole, it seems a bit choppy at times and doesn't flow that well, IMO, but each individual part is still good enough for me to like it as a whole, even if I almost never listen to the whole thing all the way through.  But the last two minutes is still the most unnecessary thing ever.  It was almost like they made the fadeout extra long just to make a super long song even longer.  Otherwise, what was the purpose?  

Regardless, nice job with this thread! :tup :tup

:tup Thanks man.

And I think that MP just wanted to copy the ending of "A Day In The Life", which is why the song goes on for two minutes at the end.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #265 on: May 22, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »
You're wrong.

lol at an opinion being wrong.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #266 on: May 22, 2010, 08:45:03 PM »
But but it's Voices, man  :sad:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
Voices repeating me

The way LaBrie delivers that line in the song makes me want to commit suicide.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #268 on: May 22, 2010, 08:52:38 PM »
And I think that MP just wanted to copy the ending of "A Day In The Life", which is why the song goes on for two minutes at the end.

It was still unnecessarily long.  The fadeout is nearly two minutes, while the "A Day in the Life" fadeout is around 40 seconds before the looped ending (or whatever you want to call it) kicks in.

And I am staying out of this "Voices" debate...for now. :lol :lol

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #269 on: May 22, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
Hard for me, too, to comprehend "Voices" being in someone's bottom 10 (it's my number 1), but to each his own. Really enjoyed the thread, though.  It provided some new and interesting perspectives on DT's catalog.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #270 on: May 22, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »

It was still unnecessarily long.  The fadeout is nearly two minutes, while the "A Day in the Life" fadeout is around 40 seconds before the looped ending (or whatever you want to call it) kicks in.

And I am staying out of this "Voices" debate...for now. :lol :lol

Yea I definitely agree, but I don't feel that it takes away from the song seeing as it is the end. Had it been in the middle then yea, it'd be ridiculous.

You don't have to listen to the last 2 minutes is what I'm saying.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: May 22, 2010, 08:55:59 PM »
Great list. 6DOIT is a great song, and would likely be in my top 5, though if I did a list I'd be more inclined to rank them by movements.

It's sad to see no Voices in the top 10, but I'm not too put off by not seeing Scarred.  Though I like Scarred, I think it's easily one of the most overrated DT songs.  The intro jam is cool, but James sounds terrible on the verses and the chorus is one of DT's worst. The song isn't even good until it quiets down into that epic do you feel you don't know me anymore segment, though the subsequent instrumental section and outro are both cool.  

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #272 on: May 22, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
So, the last two minutes of your favorite song by the band don't really have to be listened to?  Okay.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #273 on: May 22, 2010, 09:01:13 PM »
So, the last two minutes of your favorite song by the band don't really have to be listened to?  Okay.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

1 minute and 40 seconds of a 42 minute song is about equal to 70 seconds of a 20 minute song. You can't tell me that there aren't 70 seconds of bad music in "2112"  :loser: :lol

EDIT: Shit, there actually aren't.

Touche sir
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: May 22, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
So, the last two minutes of your favorite song by the band don't really have to be listened to?  Okay.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Why should you have to listen to the two minutes of silence for it to be your favorite song? Especially if all your skipping is silence.

Octivarium is one of my favorite DT songs but sometimes I skip the four minute intro just because I'd rather get to a more interesting part of the song. Does this mean it's not worthy of being my favorite song?

I'm saying I don't like the intro by the way. I love it, I just am sometimes not in the mood for it.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #275 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
Voices isn't that amazing.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #276 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »
Why should you have to listen to the two minutes of silence for it to be your favorite song? Especially if all your skipping is silence.

:lol I actually usually don't even skip it. I don't mind it at all.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: May 22, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »

It is pretty damn good.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #278 on: May 22, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »

Thank you. :tup
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #279 on: May 22, 2010, 09:07:24 PM »

1 minute and 40 seconds of a 42 minute song is about equal to 70 seconds of a 20 minute song. You can't tell me that there aren't 70 seconds of bad music in "2112"  :loser: :lol

EDIT: Shit, there actually aren't.

Touche sir

I never said the ending was bad music, just that it was unnecessary.  A long fadeout at about half the length they did it at would have been more than sufficient.

And, yes, "2112" is perfection from start to finish. :metal

Why should you have to listen to the two minutes of silence for it to be your favorite song?

Octivarium is one of my favorite DT songs but sometimes I skip the four minute intro just because I'd rather get to a more interesting part of the song. Does this mean it's not worthy of being my favorite song?

I'm saying I don't like the intro by the way. I love it, I just am sometimes not in the mood for it.

That is more about time probably than the content of the song.  Heck, sometimes, if pressed for time, I listen to just the first two parts of "2112."  I guess I am just different; I can't imagine one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands being one where I routinely skip a certain part of the song, assuming I have the time to listen to the song, if it is a long one.