Author Topic: skydivingninja's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs! (Starts at Page 9)  (Read 81155 times)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Hello all, it's been a while since my last Top 50 list, and I decided that what better a time than to start one for DT? I made this list in about 20 minutes and it is just meant for fun, don't take things too seriously. All of their albums are well represented here in my opinion.

I'll try to do about 5 a day until I get to the top 10, at which point I will slow down.

Note: My list may be controversial.

Here we go..

50. "A Mind Beside Itself III. The Silent Man" - Awake

Pretty good song on Awake, I really like their acoustic songs a lot, I feel that they should try to do some more in the future. It has a weird video, featuring an old man (:lol) and other than that there isn't really much more to say.

49. "Scene Two: I. Overture 1928" - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory

One of the coolest overtures in music ever, I absolutely adore this song. JP has a ton of awesome riffs, and it also happens to be the first that we here of Jordan. Great tune and a wonderful way to start off Scenes.

48. "These Walls" - Octavarium

Pretty good tune off Octavarium. Probably would have been on of the singles if they had made any for this album. I really like the message in the song and I can truly relate to it. One of my favorites off of 8VM.

47. "New Millennium" - Falling Into Infinity

Cool song that features Myung on the Chapman Stick. It's one of my favorite opening tracks on a DT album and the song reminds me a lot of Genesis for some reason.

46. "The Shattered Fortress: X. Restraint / XI. Receive / XII. Responsible" - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the AA Suite. It is still a pretty awesome song, however, and I really enjoy listening to it within the context of Black Clouds, although I think the ending goes on a bit too much.

More to come tomorrow!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:30:35 PM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Re: Quad's Top 50 Dream Theater Songs!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:50:51 PM »
Whoa, I'll definitely be following. I already see things I'd disagree with, but never mind. :lol Really curious to see what's higher up.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
Holy shit I've had a top 50 DT list at the ready for a couple of weeks now...you beat me to it you bastard!  ;D Well, I'll be following with great interest, even though you've already committed massive fail with such low placement of "These Walls," "New Millenium," "Overture 1928," and "The Shattered Fortress."

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »
What's These walls about then?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »
Trouble communicating with others.  One of the reasons its one of my favorite DT songs.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »

46. "The Shattered Fortress: X. Restraint / XI. Receive / XII. Responsible" - Black Clouds and Silver Linings

I must admit, I'm not a huge fan of the AA Suite. It is still a pretty awesome song, however, and I really enjoy listening to it within the context of Black Clouds, although I think the ending goes on a bit too much.

The ending goes on a bit too much?!  Surely you don't mean the solo or "I AM RESPONSIBLE!" sections, because that solo and following chorus are in my top 10 DT moments.

(And yes, I'll stop calling you Shirley...)
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »
No, I literally mean the end.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 09:35:21 PM »
No, I literally mean the end.

*wipes brow* had me worried for a moment there.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
You can't tell me that the never ending LaBrie "WoaaaAAH, WOOOAAAH WOOOAAH ... (insert 50 more woahs) ... wwoaah!" aren't incredibly annoying at best.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »
The whoahs last like 10 seconds. What the fuck are you talking about?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 02:47:33 AM »
These are some good choices, although I think only Overture 1928 would make my top 50. Maybe New millennium, but I'm not sure... Good job so far.  :tup

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 03:59:13 AM »
This will be interesting, following it.  :tup

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 06:02:04 AM »
Will follow.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 07:07:47 AM »
Whoa, I'll definitely be following. I already see things I'd disagree with, but never mind. :lol Really curious to see what's higher up.

Same  :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »
The whoahs last like 10 seconds. What the fuck are you talking about?

I was obviously exaggerating, but I still think they're annoying as hell. Maybe if they sounded less awkward I'd be alright with them.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 11:54:19 AM »
OK here's today's update:

45. "The Mirror" - Awake

People will hang me for this, but here it is. Like I said, I'm not a terribly huge fan of the AA suite, and while this one isn't part of it, it still has the same feel for me. I'm more of a prog guy than a metal guy also, so the real headbanging tunes don't do as much for as some of their more proggy tracks. My favorite part of this song is the Space-Dye Vest theme in it.

44. "Hollow Years" - Falling Into Infinity

Great tune, I wish they had played it at the show I was at this past year, but it's all good. Great track and I love the extended bits that Petrucci does when they play this live.

43. "A Fortune In Lies" - When Dream and Day Unite

I'm a really big fan of WDADU, so get used to seeing some more of it on my list. This song is really awesome, and one of the first DT songs I heard. I actually prefer Charlie's singing to LaBrie's (on WDADRU). I know that puts me in a super-minority here, but what are you gonna do.

42. "Another Day" - Images & Words

This is the song that actually got me into Dream Theater. I was so stunned when I first heard it 5 or 6 years ago and I knew that DT would be the band for me. It's moved down to 42 now, because I have grown to love a ton of other DT songs, but this one will always have a special place in my heart.

41. "The Best of Times" - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Another beautiful DT song. I really enjoy the lyrics here, and while I know that many people here don't like the song, I really enjoy it. I can't wait until MP is comfortable to play this live because I'm sure it would be killer live.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:25:38 PM »
Will be stalking this thread.  :tup

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »
Interesting list so far, will be following  :hat

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 03:12:43 PM »
You didn't even mention to guitar solo in The Best of Times! It's one of my favorite solos. :(
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »
This will be interesting, following it.  :tup

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
You didn't even mention to guitar solo in The Best of Times! It's one of my favorite solos. :(

Was gonna say that. The Best of Times solo can bring tears to my eyes if I let it. Actually, it's probably my second favorite Petrucci solo behind only 2:10-4:10 from In the Presence of Enemies Part 1.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »
Well, at least you mentioned "The Best of Times."  Too bad its not as high as it should be  :biggrin:  Its one of my favorite DT songs, I can't wait to hear it live also.  I totally agree on "The Mirror" too, I'm not too into it, but the SDV theme part is godly.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 06:40:47 AM »
I always forget what a great song Another Day is. I guess it's 'cos all the other songs on that album are so amazing.

Good choices so far  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »
I'm a really big fan of WDADU, so get used to seeing some more of it on my list. 

:tup :tup

*prays "Light Fuse and Get Away" makes the list*

:coolio :coolio :coolio

Good picks thus far, too!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 09:58:40 PM »
Here's today's update:

40. "Only A Matter of Time" - When Dream & Day Unite

Not much to say about this song other than the fact that it rocks. Some cool vocals, I love the way Dominici delivers the title line.

39. "Scene Five: Through Her Eyes" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

One of DT's most beautiful songs. I always get teary when I hear this song. I like the alternate take on the song as well, I think both are pretty awesome. LaBrie has some cool vocals here, and there's some really nice emotional guitar playing.

38. "Sacrificed Sons" - Octavarium

I like the use of samples in this tune. It's one of 8VM's two epics and although it's the lesser one, it still holds its own. I saw this live at PN09 and loved it.

37. "The Dark Eternal Night" - Systematic Chaos

One of the best songs on SC. Jordan's improvised Continuum solo at the end of the song is awesome, as is his ragtime-ish solo thing in the middle of the song. The lyrics are kind of meh, but the intrumentals are sick, and it features the sludgiest DT riff ever! (cookie for reference)

36. "Scene Two: II. Strange Deja Vu" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

I really like the chorus here, and I love the way that the Overture transitions right into this song. It's got some awesome guitar palying during the verses and other than that, just all around awesome.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »
36. "Scene Two: II. Strange Deja Vu" - Metropolis Pt. II: Scenes From A Memory

I really like the chorus here, and I love the way that the Overture transitions right into this song. It's got some awesome guitar palying during the verses and other than that, just all around awesome.

I personally love the last few lines "But I don't mind/I hope to find the truth." I love the way Labrie sings that.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
You just gained immense respect for me for mentioning "Only a Matter of Time" and "Through Her Eyes"...and then lose it all with "The Dark Eternal Night." 

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 10:26:04 PM »
You just gained immense respect for me for mentioning "Only a Matter of Time" and "Through Her Eyes"...and then lose it all with "The Dark Eternal Night." 

Are you saying that it should be higher, or not even on the list?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 10:27:59 PM »
skydivingninja usually has really good taste, so I am sure he thinks it shouldn't be on the list. :biggrin: ;)

Love seeing "Only a Matter of Time" make it, and "Strange Deja Vu" is a given.  Good to see "Through Her Eyes" as well. :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
skydivingninja usually has really good taste, so I am sure he thinks it shouldn't be on the list. :biggrin: ;)

Like I said, I really like the instrumentals, but the lyrics are meh. I also really don't care for the vocal deliveries all that much.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »
TDEN shouldn't be near the top of anything except a Worst Of list. It's musically atrocious.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »
 :lol

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
This list is getting more and more interesting as it goes on.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 05:13:57 AM »
Mirror, Another Day, and Overture seem too far from the spots they deserve, but oh well.

Dark Eternal Night and Through Her Eyes deserve the spots though. :tup
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 06:30:34 AM »
Wow, most of these so far wouldn't make my top 50. It makes following the thread more interesting, though...