Author Topic: So...  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
So...
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:07:39 AM »
I've had the urge recently to attempt to learn how to play the guitar once I get home for the summer in two weeks. I don't have the slightest clue where to begin, though. Any pointers?
caw caw

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: So...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
Google may help you, I'm sure there are some guides to beginning to learn to play.

With that said, in my limited time to post, focus on scales, use a metronome, stretch your hands before playing. There's a start, hopefully someone else will post a reply that's more in-depth.

brb

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
What guitar are you having? Acoustic nylon, acoustic steel? Electric?

I just made a book, which is still in post-production:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxtYW5vbGl0b215c3RpcXxneDoxZjY2ZTI5YzkzMmY4YWE1

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
Haven't bought any yet, but I'm planning on an electric.
caw caw

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Le bump. I get home in a little over a week. After some poking around, I was considering an Ibanez of some sort, anyone have any experience with the brand?
caw caw

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
Ibanez are pretty damn good, but ofc it depends what genre you're going for. For me Strats are the best as they're so versatile, but Ibanezes are great for metal, so if you're gonna be playing predominately fast and heavy music go for them. My main advice would be scales, scales, scales and finger exercises.

I'd also say it would be better to practice really hard at a song you suck at instead of learning loads of songs at your level. I speak from experience of coasting on Green Day for about a year before learning anything actually challenging.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »
I'd recommend starting on a cheap acoustic guitar. It'll be harder on your fingers, but you'll develop your finger muscles faster.  Not to mention you don't have to invest in an amp or effects pedals at all.  You'll be able to learn the basics without much hassle, and when you do transition to an electric guitar, it will be a LOT easier.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:54:11 AM »
As Jamesman said, start with scales, work on open chords, and work with a metranome.  Commit to at least an hour of practice a day.  I know everyone wants to do it on their own, but the best thing you can do is get a teacher, and the sooner the better.  You don't want to develop bad habits early on that will make it harder to progress.

If playing scales and chords bores you (like it did with me), pick a song you want to learn and work on a the individual riffs it after working on technique.  Stick with a relatively easy song you know, minus any solos.  The first songs I worked on were "Iron Man", "War Pigs", "Smoke on the Water", and "Red Barchetta".

I'll say it again because it's important: GET A TEACHER.  Don't be prideful, they know how to work through slumps and are a good investment.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »
I don't think I'd be too prideful, I'm much more likely to be confused. I'll look into it. If I end up with something that has a floating bridge, is there some way to keep it from not screwing with the tunings? I hear this is a common issue.
caw caw

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
I don't think I'd be too prideful, I'm much more likely to be confused. I'll look into it. If I end up with something that has a floating bridge, is there some way to keep it from not screwing with the tunings? I hear this is a common issue.
I find floating bridges to be a huge pain in the ass, so I don't bother with them. But obviously plenty of people use them and have no trouble.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
In terms of your first guitar, there are a few things that have been said here that are especially important:

I'd recommend starting on a cheap acoustic guitar. It'll be harder on your fingers, but you'll develop your finger muscles faster.

Then go with the Ibanez if you're playing metal. And, as obvious as it is, practice often. That's crucial.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.