Author Topic: The 20 favourite vocalists thread  (Read 22174 times)

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
Re: The 20 favourite vocalists thread
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »
Mizzl better be number 1.
:metal

Obviously. :lol

Thanks for comments everyone. :) I'm pretty certain that from this point, every single one of the twelve (ok... one possible exception) is at least a bit recognised around here.

12. Blaze Bayley (solo, Iron Maiden, Wolfsbane)

Look what you've done now with
All of your freedom
You really think you deserve it all
I am evolved from you
I've come to save you
And without a sentiment, reshape your world

I'll begin with a bold statement, and I'm going to defend it if necessary... The most underrated and underappreciated vocalist in the entire history of heavy metal. There are a few (very few) who are even more amazing in the genre and they get the deserved recognition - he deserves a place up there, among them. Unlucky because of joining Iron Maiden in the most difficult period and lots of complaints regarding the two albums (The X Factor and Virtual XI) fell unjustly on him, instead of the actual songwriting and other problems (especially that his voice actually fitted the dark atmosphere of the two albums very well). Afterwards, he's begun a very active solo career, no one will tell me he isn't an amazing songwriter as well as a leader.

Absolutely amazing, deep voice, completely unique and similar to pretty much no one. He can sound really dark as well as absolutely epic and powerful. In the latter case - as much as I greatly respect and nearly worship Bruce Dickinson (I'm trying to avoid any hints here, but... :P), even though he handled it very well on Rock in Rio as well, I feel nothing will beat the original version of The Clansman with Blaze (and it's one of my favourite IM songs ever, despite being put on probably their most inconsistent album ever). The way he sings it - no one can do it that way, and No, we can't let them take anymore, from the land of the freeeeeeeeeee! is something that absolutely gives me chills every time...

If someone asks why "only" place 12 - but it's really high, believe me, 20-13 was pretty stable, but I really had trouble deciding on the ones above - I know I should put him higher. Maybe it's just that I still don't know him that well. I don't know yet. But really, this is the "awesome" tier...

Personal highlight, the one and absolutely the greatest one:
The Clansman (Iron Maiden - Virtual XI)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
I hope this won't cause a DTF riot under the leadership of Sigz. Either way...

11. Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, solo)

Water so warm that day, I was counting out the waves
And I followed their short life as they broke on the shoreline
And I could see you
But I couldn't hear you.

You were holding your hat in the breeze, turning away from me
In this moment you were stolen
And there's black across the sun...

I admit, he was my greatest problem when thinking about this list. Let's face it: he probably is a genius, or close, a very good guitarist, amazing songwriter, and also he can play several other instruments. But when it comes to vocals... he is definitely the "fits perfect for his music, but not impressive otherwise" type of vocalist - pretty much all of those who will follow, and some of those before, are probably better in terms of pure singing skills. And focusing on vocals alone, it was really difficult for me to place him...

But well, anyway, he's here for a reason. Like I mentioned, his singing is definitely perfect for the kind of music he creates, and what he can do with his voice in the music is just amazing. He's particularly excellent if it's melancholy or deep sadness we're dealing with - the above quote from part three of Anesthetize is a great example, so is the amazing Don't Hate Me (the feeling of sadness in the chorus is incredible), but absolute genius is Heartattack in a Layby. However, it's also great in many different ways - the singing in Octane Twisted just printed itself in my head after the first listen (I was really tempted to include it as the quote instead, but Anesthetize won) - it has an incredible emotional strength, despite sounding cold... And speaking of emotional strength: there are moments where his singing can absolutely tear apart, Way Out of Here being the strongest, and probably my favourite. However, there are also some more uplifting and dreamy moments when he can really shine... the best examples are obviously Pure Narcotic, I Drive the Hearse, and a bit different - Open Mind from the first Blackfield album, a song which I loved immediately because of the vocals.

His voice is simply unique. He may not be the most versatile singer around, but his creativity and pure emotion is enough. I may have still put him far too low - it's difficult to decide. Some things are impossible to rate or compare. But well, I had to...

Personal highlights:
Pure Narcotic, Don't Hate Me (Stupid Dream)
Gravity Eyelids, Heartattack in a Layby (In Absentia)
Lazarus (Deadwing)
Anesthetize, Way Out of Here (Fear of a Blank Planet)
Drawing the Line, Octane Twisted, I Drive The Hearse (The Incident)

Open Mind (Blackfield)

[Note: I decided to make an exception from my "200 pixels tall picture" rule. The reason in simple - the above is my favourite photo of a musician ever. :P]

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
Completely agree with Steven Wilson. Great placement for him. :tup
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 08:03:41 PM »
*Steven Wilson*

I'LL FUCKING TEAR YOUR HEAD OFF AND RAPE THE EMPTY SOCKET FOR THAT BLASPHEMY

Nah, I'm kidding, it's cool. I really like SW's voice (most of the time), and his voice fits his music very well, but there's plenty of singers out there who are far more effective with their vocals.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 04:52:03 AM »
Gildenlow better be top 3!

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 06:29:49 AM »
I had better be Nr1, just like Harry and Arjen said  :hat

Also
this

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 07:00:33 AM »

I'll begin with a bold statement, and I'm going to defend it if necessary... The most underrated and underappreciated vocalist in the entire history of heavy metal. There are a few (very few) who are even more amazing in the genre and they get the deserved recognition - he deserves a place up there, among them. Unlucky because of joining Iron Maiden in the most difficult period and lots of complaints regarding the two albums (The X Factor and Virtual XI) fell unjustly on him, instead of the actual songwriting and other problems (especially that his voice actually fitted the dark atmosphere of the two albums very well). Afterwards, he's begun a very active solo career, no one will tell me he isn't an amazing songwriter as well as a leader.

Absolutely amazing, deep voice, completely unique and similar to pretty much no one. He can sound really dark as well as absolutely epic and powerful. In the latter case - as much as I greatly respect and nearly worship Bruce Dickinson (I'm trying to avoid any hints here, but... :P), even though he handled it very well on Rock in Rio as well, I feel nothing will beat the original version of The Clansman with Blaze (and it's one of my favourite IM songs ever, despite being put on probably their most inconsistent album ever). The way he sings it - no one can do it that way, and No, we can't let them take anymore, from the land of the freeeeeeeeeee! is something that absolutely gives me chills every time...

I agree. I still think he was a great choice. At the time and I still do today. The band was way too unfocused and should've capitalized on the latent genius of The X Factor. Still contains some of Harris' best ideas in ages, but it just couldn't be pulled together.

Blaze has had a string of great albums. Promise And Terror is outstanding. At the moment, it's fighting Armored Saint for my album of the year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
Completely agree with Steven Wilson. Great placement for him. :tup

this

and this
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 07:21:59 AM »
Huge thumbs up for putting the magnificent Blaze Bayley so high, he would certainly make my top 20 as well. He is the most underrated singer in the history of metal, and his job on The X Factor is fascinating. As for his solo work... Well, in terms of the quality of the studio albums, I'd say he has the most consistent band in the last 10 years. Promise and terror is the album of the year so far, although I'm pretty much sure The Final Frontier will be the champion...

Up The Blaze!  :metal

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
Wow, I expected more controversy with these two choices, but I'm glad it was so well-received :P

I agree, Blaze's solo work is great, and I definitely must listen to it more. But I've also seen him live (right when he started with the new line-up), and it was absolutely amazing - he is excellent as a frontman, and he sounds maybe even better than studio. That's something few vocalists are capable of...

Now, time for someone who is definitely underappreciated around here. And so we enter the top ten... (Although, honestly, top 12 was the more important line here)

10. Fernando Ribeiro (Moonspell)

I can teach you wonders if you give me your soul
Marvels and wild dreams - they can be yours
I can teach you how iron turns to gold
And how life can grow so old...

But I am a demon who dresses in red
And I do not hope you will understand.

Basically every idea for an Epic Introduction [TM] I got sounds pretentious so never mind. I don't know anyone with a voice which would define the word "gothic" so well and that would have such a huge influence on creating a dark, mysterious atmosphere. In fact, I think "atmosphere" must be his second name somewhere, because his singing (or growling) basically is atmosphere. With his low, deep voice he can sound both absolutely dark and almost scary (such as in the amazing song "Mephisto" from my favourite album, Irreligious - quoted above), or, on the other hand - somehow charming (like in "Luna" from the previous album, Memorial)... His singing is just as great as growling - since the band originates from black metal (one of the very few good consequences of black metal... ok, never mind), it has a slight black metal edge to it, but he can do it in an absolutely amazing way - it says enough that Moonspell became one of my favourite band, in a huge part because of the vocals, back when I disliked anything that isn't clean singing...

However, unlike what it may sound, he is very versatile - other than the early and recent extreme gothic metal albums, there was a very different "experimental" period (two controversial albums - Sin/Pecado and The Butterfly Effect), where he's proved equally great in a very different, more "open" style, such as in a rather poetic song "Disappear Here", where he's proved he can sing in a much softer voice. And now, he can sing and growl, and it sounds equally great in both English and his native Portuguese (which appears now and then in their music), and I really like it - what happens if you combine all four? That is a majesty called "Full Moon Madness", which is an absolute classic, and shows everything the best he's capable of - and if you don't know the band, that's also what you should try...

Anyway, it's difficult for me to put it into words this time without repeating myself - one of my favourites since a very long time, and in my opinion deserving far more appreciation...

Personal highlights:
Awake, Mephisto, Full Moon Madness (Irreligious)
Abysmo (Sin/Pecado)
Can't Bee, Disappear Here (The Butterfly Effect)
The Southern Deathstyle, The Antidote (The Antidote)
Luna, Best Forgotten (Memorial)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
Cool list so far.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »

Never heard of him... I'll youtube them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
Russell Allen better be in Top 10 or 5!
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 07:31:09 PM »

Never heard of him... I'll youtube them.
Try Full Moon Madness, Can't Bee and The Southern Deathstyle, you'll have a good idea of what they sound like. Enjoy :)

Russell Allen better be in Top 10 or 5!
Sorry, I barely know him, no way I could judge him in any way.

---------------

please include halford
in my opinion this guy doesn't get the recognition he deserves on this forum
I admit this post brought a wide smile to my face... But I didn't want to spoil the surprise. :P

9. Rob Halford (Judas Priest, solo, Fight)

Look at me I'm chasing
After dreams left in the storm
What I am is all
That really matters now
The lies are gone
All the lies are gone.

One of the icons of heavy metal. Any doubt about this? I thought so. With an incredible combination of insane, high-pitched screams and low, baritone singing, there is no way to confuse him with anyone if you've heard him once. Some have tried to sound similar, no one has ever come close. And I guess that's how it will remain. 41 years into his career, he seems to absolutely defy time and sounds just as amazing now as ever before, and as you can see by his new solo album, he never runs out of creativity. ;) And what I find interesting, that after all these years where in Judas Priest they concentrated on metal itself, leather, motorcycles and similar (I found one picture with a motorcycle which defines the word "badass", but it was poor quality :( ), over time he's also gone in a bit more serious direction, and since then the themes in his music, and the recent JP releases, are the combination of the two... He proves equally great in a darker, more serious style like in insane, fast heavy metal, and I think I've mentioned I appreciate versatility. However, personally for me there is one slightly overlooked gem in the aforementioned more serious style - a song called Silent Screams on his first (and really great) solo album, Resurrection, which shows basically his whole talent and skills within seven minutes...

What else can I say? I'm speaking about history, legend, present and future at the same time. All four leaving no doubt the nickname of "Metal God", as funny as it might sound, is deserved...

Personal highlight:
Silent Screams (Halford - Resurrection)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:45 PM »
Moonspell sure is an interesting and unique band. They obviously grew up listening to Fields Of The Nephilim. I'm not a fan of RORORO at all, but that deep Chris "metal" Isaac voice is pretty cool.
A very interesting cover of Mr. Crowley.

Thanks D7!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
Can't wait to see Halford at Ozzfest (inb4 lolOzzfest).  :metal

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
lolOzzfest

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:49 PM »
Can't wait to see Halford at Ozzfest (inb4 lolOzzfest).  :metal

LOL

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »
 :|

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
Unnecessarily long post is unecessarily long.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 11:55:58 PM »

Shh, you'll prompt him to do it again, only this time with four smileys.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 03:19:49 AM »
YEAAH HALFORD!!!!!  :metal

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2010, 03:23:49 AM »
More like lolz fest, amirite?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2010, 09:56:54 AM »
Can't wait to see Halford at Ozzfest  

Ozzfest jokes aside, I wouldn't get too excited.  In his heyday, there were few better or as good as Halford, but he is a shell of his former self now.  Decades of doing those high screams has taken a heavy toll on his voice, which is normal; he is only human, after all.  But he is definitely top 10 material...maybe even top 5.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 11:25:33 AM »
When it comes to metal vocalists, Bruce Dickinson has Halford beat by miles, especially today.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
When it comes to metal vocalists, Bruce Dickinson has Halford beat by miles, especially today.
I'd say it's hard to pick a vocalist who sings that kind of material who has aged better than Dickinson.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »

:neverusethis:

Can't wait to see Halford at Ozzfest 

Ozzfest jokes aside, I wouldn't get too excited.  In his heyday, there were few better or as good as Halford, but he is a shell of his former self now.  Decades of doing those high screams has taken a heavy toll on his voice, which is normal; he is only human, after all.  But he is definitely top 10 material...maybe even top 5.
Oh yes I realize he's not what he used to be, but I'm still excited to see him, even if just for the novelty.

• "THEY just drop"
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
I'd say it's hard to pick a vocalist who sings that kind of material who has aged better than Dickinson.
both true, but you have too look what Halford has achieved with his voice in his early years.
pretty damn awesome.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »
Moonspell sure is an interesting and unique band. They obviously grew up listening to Fields Of The Nephilim. I'm not a fan of RORORO at all, but that deep Chris "metal" Isaac voice is pretty cool.
A very interesting cover of Mr. Crowley.

Thanks D7!
I was a bit afraid to be honest, but it's great to see you liked them. :)

In his heyday, there were few better or as good as Halford, but he is a shell of his former self now.  Decades of doing those high screams has taken a heavy toll on his voice, which is normal; he is only human, after all.  But he is definitely top 10 material...maybe even top 5.
Obviously he may not be as great as in the past, but he is still amazing without any doubt. There's more of the baritone singing instead of the high screams on the recent albums, but I'm fine with it personally. I think still even now there are very, very few who can come close in heavy metal.

OK, this time it is almost a tie. The difference is really less than an inch, so I decided to post them together - each one because of different advantages.

8. Kjetil Nordhus (Green Carnation)

Can you recall the light?
I know you`re sad because it`s winter
But I can promise you a spring
I know you`re cold, I see you shiver
But I can promise you a spring

You may have noticed me saying here and there that the best news possible for me would be Green Carnation re-uniting... I don't think there's a big chance, but anyway. One thing I will always remember regarding the band is, obviously, Kjetil and his singing. I haven't heard anyone any similar, ever - no one else can sound both so incredibly soothing, and also so deep and powerful, which has proved perfect for the band's discography. On the album A Blessing in Disguise, which has some of the more straightforward direction of Green Carnation, he really shines in both styles, with slight emphasis on the latter (just listen to Into Deep or Myron & Cole... amazing). However, it's his calm singing that I find absolutely unforgettable, and I hope he will have a chance to use it again in the future (as after GC split-up, he's only appeared as session here and there). Lullaby in Winter (quoted above) and Two Seconds in Life from the aforementioned A Blessing in Disguise are absolute and pure beauty, and so is the entire, absolutely amazing The Acoustic Verses album, which allows him to shine more than ever. And then, there's the A Night Under The Dam DVD, where he manages to pull off some things even better (Maybe?).

Not much more I can say here... One of the cases where only music can explain anything.

Personal highlights:
Two Seconds in Life, Myron & Cole (A Blessing in Disguise)
9-29-045, High Tide Waves (The Acoustic Verses)
Maybe? (both versions - from The Acoustic Verses and A Night Under The Dam, each for different reasons)

7. Nick Holmes (Paradise Lost)

I've never seen the love and confidence
To believe the faith, and never speak again
Forever seething throes of opulence
To release the pain and never breathe again
Can you release the pain and never speak again?

At God's gate
Tear me down and break me I remain!

What absolutely impresses me about this man is the strong will to follow all the changes the band has gone through. Sure, changes of style need plenty of skill and patience from every band member, but in case of changes as huge as the ones Paradise Lost has decided for during their career, it's without doubt the vocalist who faces the greatest challenge. Now tell me, do you know anyone else who started as a 100% death/doom metal growling vocalist, over time changing into a cleaner, "harsh singing" style (slightly reminiscient of James Hetfield), then a completely clean, melodic singing style, then again harsh vocals, but with a much lower, darker sound and still combined with the clean singing? I don't know anyone. Not even close. And with all these combinations, he has a very easily recognisable style...

And yes, that's Nick Holmes. Although his full-on growling style is apparently gone once and for all (once asked about that, he referred to it as "dinosaur style" :lol and said he could probably pull it off but there's no need for it), he can do everything else equally well, and live as well as studio. I loved his vocal style since I first heard the band, and now with a much broader knowledge I can say - I love all four. His growling was, well, growling like it should be. The second style, around the time of the "metal fan favourites" (albums Icon and Draconian Times), is the perfect in-between style, fitting perfectly to that era. His clean singing is completely unique, and he has a really nice range - it can sound really soft and melancholic at times (the entire, really controversial album Host is the best example - I don't know if there's a book around about it, but someone could write one). Finally, his fairly recently developped, low, harsh vocal style is also my favourite - it sounds really powerful and absolutely monumental, with lots of strength and emotion. The entire latest PL album, Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us is a totally amazing combination of the two latter styles, and one of the most amazing albums vocal-wise I have ever heard. And when I saw them live, he pulled it off equally well.

I have no idea why he never gets much attention whenever someone decides on matters like the one in this thread. One of the best in my opinion - I wanted to say "one of the best in metal", but Paradise Lost has extended far beyond metal, so it wouldn't be correct.

Personal highlights:
Forever Failure (Draconian Times)
So Much is Lost, Host (Host)
No Celebration, Symbol of Life (Symbol of Life)
Requiem, Your Own Reality (In Requiem)
The entire Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us album, particularly I Remain

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
You just proved my point. :sadpanda:

It shouldn't have taken much of any kind of prophecy skills to see this coming...

6. Jonas Renkse (Katatonia)

Leaders come, stand in line
Reveal your true self and conform
I sold my song, crossed the borderline
I found something I'd never adjust to.

Come here - I've paid for you
I have sold my weakness too
Come here - I split my heart in two
But you don't have it in you
Do you?

It's obvious that in a band which relies so much on atmosphere and vocals as Katatonia, you really need a voice that stands out. In my case I think there's only one statement I should give: he's reached up here in two months. He's greatly responsible for my massive Katatonia addiction which has lasted for two months now, and I can't say I mind. I don't mind at all.

If you've never heard them, you may be surprised that this usually very dark-looking person (the above is one of the very few photos that don't look like that :P) has a rather soft, sensitive voice... which fits absolutely perfectly to the music. He doesn't have any powerful "methul \m/" moments himself, he can sing with his calm, soft voice even when there's a riff thunderstorm going on beneath, and it always captures attention. I have heard very, very few who can express so much emotion in their voice, and who really allow you to somehow emotionally join in. There are countless songs where he seems to be giving his 110%. It's not the "break the glass" type of voice, it's quiet. But it's incredibly powerful regardless - and that's what I appreciate the most about him.

His singing on the previous albums probably classifies for most as "depressive" (and "anti-depressive" for me), and he hardly has any competition in this department. Listen to Soil's Song for example and try not to melt when he sings "false... the dream is so far". Listen to A Premonition and try to remain indifferent when it's "it haunts my dreams". Or listen to Sleeper, and try not to feel the incredible fear in the chorus. It's impossible - his voice can get the message through better than almost anyone. If you're not into this, however, he has shown an entirely different side on the newest album, Night is The New Day - a much brighter, warmer side. For example, the absolutely amazing singing in Idle Blood, which is an incredible combination of uplifting and melancholic. Or, on the other hand, New Night, with the incredibly emotional, monumental chorus. Or, finally, Departer - a song that has immediately joined my favourites...

And most importantly - I had been afraid he may be unable to pull off some of the more difficult parts live. On March 29th, I was proved totally wrong: he managed to make some things sound even more powerful than on the album, and basically flawless from the technical point of view. He's climbed up here very quickly - for a reason...

Personal highlights (the most difficult one this far):
Ghost of The Sun, Sleeper, Complicity (Viva Emptiness)
Leaders, Soil's Song, The Itch (The Great Cold Distance)
Idle Blood, New Night, Departer (Night is The New Day)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
Lord Seth  :metal :metal :metal
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2010, 05:53:53 AM »
I've heard there is a photo of him and Anders Nystrom (aka Blakkheim) in full black metal paint on the first Jhva Elohim Meth EP. Compared to how they look now, this must be awesome. :lol