Author Topic: The 20 favourite vocalists thread  (Read 22154 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
The 20 favourite vocalists thread
« on: May 07, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
We've had different "top xx" threads already, usually about bands or songs, so I decided for something different... I've had this idea for a few days now, just couldn't get myself to do it, but here I am. :) I realised that when it comes to instrumentalists, I can choose 2-3 favourite musicians in case of every instruments; there are many I like, but there's always this very small group that I absolutely worship. In case of vocalists, it's entirely different - there are many whose voice really stands out for me and is really memorable, in bands of different kinds and genres (this also means not necessarily clean singing, but my list is definitely dominated by clean singing). Even creating a top 20 proved to be one hell of a challenge, so it says something.

I'm certain some choices will be controversial (either because of the place... or presence in general), and even though most are probably known around here, there will be also some vocalists you may have never heard of before, yet I felt I absolutely must include them on the list. Some were very close, but eventually I decided I have to make a choice... And the choice was different.

I'll follow a simple pattern - I'll always mention the bands/projects where the person was a vocalist, a quote (just because I love quoting song lyrics. I'd say I know how I will choose them, but it will end up random anyway, so... :lol), some small photo, a bit bigger description, and usually (not always), songs which I feel are highlights vocal-wise. Note that I do not claim to be an expert in case of each and every one of them - even though I'm familiar with most work of most vocalists on the list, this is about those who really stand out for me - sometimes it means even being above some bands I appreciate much more in general.

Enough talk. Let's get to the point.

20. James Hetfield (Metallica)

How can I be lost
If I've got nowhere to go?

Despite everything, I think it would be hard for someone listening to metal to not include him on a list like this. Without doubt one of the most easily recognisable voices in the history of metal, and someone who has probably set a certain set of standards for heavy and thrash metal singing as well... I have both a great sentiment for Metallica (after all, without them maybe I would still listen to Backstreet Boys :lol), and a great appreciation for them, like I said - despite everything. And James' voice is something a metal vocalist simply must have - power and strength, most obvious on the early albums, but he's still capable of that. On the other hand, he's also capable of very nice, clean singing (is there anyone on the planet who hasn't heard "The Unforgiven"? I thought so.), and versatility is a skill I always appreciate. Unlike some people I've talked to, I also like his vocals on Death Magnetic (though I definitely prefer the calm approach here, especially The Unforgiven III, as you can see above) - years pass... but for him, it seems they don't pass so quickly.

-----

I'll add one at a time, but probably more than one a day... I'd be grateful for comments. :)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The 20 favourite vocalists thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 05:33:04 PM »
I'll definitely keep track of this thread, though Hetfield?  :tdwn
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
Have I mentioned controversy? :lol We'll see later. I might add place 19 still today, I can only say expect more metal for now. Later it will change.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
Idd, Hetfield?
How drunk are you right now darkes7? :P
He wouldn't make my top200. xD

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »
Hetfield circa 1986 was pretty awesome though.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
Idd, Hetfield?
How drunk are you right now darkes7? :P
He wouldn't make my top200. xD
wAht do yuo mean im' jsut gettting startted

OK, seriously... :lol Let's follow. Probably also one of the less popular choices, and one of the very few "not necessarily clean singing" representants.

19. Mille Petrozza (Kreator)

Oldest dream without a dream, cold but sweet and tempting
As I look into those eyes long gone
And it feels like you were still a part of this restless world
From beyond you reach out for my hand - come closer, follow me!

I promised more metal, and there you go. :D My general view is that if it's not clean singing, it should also be done properly. What Mille Petrozza does in Kreator, is a sort of classic thrash metal vocal style - harsh and rough, just like it should be. And seriously, I don't think I've ever come across anyone who would do it better. His vocals always sound incredibly powerful and strong, the lyrics are always far from optimistic and you can really feel it, he really knows what he's doing. On the other hand, though, is that except of of this thrashy, harsh vocal style, there are some other very nice surprises within Kreator's discography - one of them is a song called Black Sunrise (from what's probably the most controversial album, Outcast), with most of the vocals sung with a very lowered, nearly whispered voice... Definitely one of my favourite metal vocalists, and also the whole new Hordes of Chaos album, which was one of my 2009 favourites, is so great also because of excellent vocals. And other than that - show me a better metal frontman, especially live. It's going to be a challenge. ;)

Personal highlights:
Black Sunrise (album Outcast)
The entire Hordes of Chaos album.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
Cool thread. Vocal has always been the main element I look into when judging a band.

I like James a lot, too. Though he's not a vocalist with 5 to 6 octaves, his voice is just so :metal
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:12:43 PM »
Well Darkes7, cool idea but the singers so far aren't, at least for me true singers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
Maybe this should be 20 best METAL vocalists? I mean, outside of metal james is.....eh.

But it says Favourite, so I guess it can go in any direction you want it to. I'll keep looking. But if DG isn't number 1 or higher I will murder you with sticks and pancakes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:44:39 AM »
Akerfeldt better be top 5  :hat
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 04:12:10 AM »
please include halford
in my opinion this guy doesn't get the recognition he deserves on this forum
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 04:56:33 AM »
James would have been higher on my list, but i don't know what people are talking about, he deserves to be high. And yer this looks like it will be interesting so i will follow it  :tup

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 05:43:58 AM »
Maybe this should be 20 best METAL vocalists? I mean, outside of metal james is.....eh.
I said we'll start with metal vocalists, because that's how it turned out. I'm hardly a metal-only person. :P If anyone is afraid about possible "genre proportions", don't, we're not even past the first five.

18. Bruce Soord (The Pineapple Thief)

Who do you think you are?
Who let you crawl this far?
Who stole your heart, who killed the stars?
You won't know who they are...

Like I promised. Bruce isn't the type of vocalist who gets huge worship, and I think it's not what he's trying to do at all; quite the opposite, he only seems to care for the vocals to fit the music, and in case of The Pineapple Thief, it works perfectly. I know people would find many singers to compare him with, and also won't forgive me that I included him and not them :P but I simply really like his voice, and I have since the first listen of TPT. It's basically the exact opposite of the above - really soft, soothing, also peaceful in a way. He's just great in what he does, and that's what I really appreciate about him.

Personal highlights:
November (album Little Man)
Too Much To Lose (album Tightly Unwound, quoted above)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 07:05:20 AM »
I love Bruce Pineapple Thief and his voice fits the band and the feel of their music.  Bets vocalist.  not realy but it's perfect for their style of music. 

Darkes7,  do you have all their albums?  Bruce has come a long way vocally.  In his early days he had a hint of Billy Corgan in his voice.  I can't wait for the new album this month.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
Not all - Little Man, Tightly Unwound, and 3000 Days (also Abducting the Unicorn, I managed to hunt down a copy, but haven't yet listened to it). Especially on 3000 Days I can indeed hear the change, there's a big difference between his singing on TU and the song Private Paradise for example. I'm interested to hear what will it be like on Someone Here is Missing.

So, another "popular" choice. I hope it's going to be less controversial than James Hetfield. ;)

17. Paul "Bono" Hewson (U2)

To let it go and so to find away.
To let it go and so find away.
I'm wide awake.
I'm wide awake, wide awake.
I'm not sleeping.

Another band which had a huge impact on my later musical taste, and another voice which I'll always remember and which has probably already found its place in the history of entire rock music. I don't think I need to introduce him to anyone - voice which is one of a kind, often really uplifting ("Beautiful Day" is a song that will always follow me... even though later there were several others I preferred on the album; but also the classic "Bad" has no competition) but , but sometimes can sound much more serious, maybe even dark ("Sunday Bloody Sunday" is probably a classic example). He doesn't sound as powerful as in the earlier albums, but still - it's him, with all the key elements. Seeing them live is still one of my dreams that are yet to be realised, and I hope it will be...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 04:32:35 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen or heard Bono's real name before.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
Hetfield circa S&M was actually fantastic, not just as a metal singer. I know S&M was tampered with a lot after the event, but Woodstock of '99 also shows him performing pretty damn well. And he's going back to AJFA style singing live now, so he's still a good pick imo. Good list so far, I'll follow closely!  :tup

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 05:11:57 PM »
Remember guys, this is his favorite list, not the "objectively" better or forum's opinion.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
Hetfield is a great choice I think.  Great singer and is def. a recognizable voice.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 05:43:42 PM »
Cool thread. Will be stalking.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
Thanks for the comments. ;) Third and last for today, I decided to move a bit faster now, as I'll have less time since tomorrow.

16. Maciej Taff (Rootwater, Black River, Neolithic... and many others)

Am I going nowhere
In the absence of the light
Am I not real?
Am I not alive?

There are three things I'm certain about when talking about him: first, he's one of the most extreme cases of a "love or hate" type of singer. Second, probably 99% of people belong to the "hate" group after the first contact, and need time to change it. Third, he's totally unknown around here and outside of Poland in general (and one of the very few on my list who are going to be unknown here).

I was no exception, really. My first, and still the main, contact with his singing was the new Rootwater album, Visionism (you might, or not, remember I mentioned it now and then in the "now listening" thread), and my first reaction was obviously "wtf is this?!?". Over time, my opinion was gradually changing, and now he's definitely one of my favourite Polish vocalists. It's almost impossible for me to put him under any particular style; sometimes it's rather low-pitched clean singing, sometimes and rarely it could be put under "nu-metal", sometimes it sounds almost haunted. Without doubt he's not going to be your favourite if you only like absolutely normal, clean singing, but if you like vocal experimentation... He's amazing. There are things he does with his voice I don't really know how he's capable of, but he can do it. But it's always incredibly expressive, powerful and emotional, he's really getting into what he's singing. If it sounds interesting - try. You have been warned... but you may end up with a similar opinion to mine. ;)

Personal highlights:
Alive, Visionism (Rootwater album Visionism)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 08:21:36 AM »
Great to see Bono make this list. :tup :tup 

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »
I didn't wake up yesterday evening, so I have a bit of a delay. :P Now someone probably most of you know...

15. Steve Hogarth (Marillion)

When the darkness takes me over
Face down, emptier than zero
Invisible you come to me... quietly
Stay beside me
Whisper to me "Here I am"
And the loneliness fades

I'm not going to pretend I'm a Marillion expert here, because I'm clearly not... But his singing left a very positive impression even after I heard it for the first time, and it was growing when I was listening to more of later Marillion. I've noticed that there is a kind of a split between the band's fans - those who prefer Fish and those who prefer Steve Hogarth, but I think I lean towards the latter group. The kind of voice that immediately finds a place in your heart (and memory) and is impossible to confuse with anyone - his singing works well in the band's poppier material, but my favourites this far were definitely the more atmospheric songs. He's able to fill them with incredible feeling - he's capable of absolute peace and calmness (such as most of "This is the 21st Century", for example), or on the other hand, moments that are absolutely tearing apart with emotion... such as Neverland, which is hands down the most amazing Marillion song I've heard, and my love for it even exceeds many bands I know much better. There are two reasons for this - first, Steve Rothery's guitar (that would deserve a post of its own, but this is the wrong thread), and second - H's voice. And I don't think anyone would be able to do it even half as great.

Personal highlight:
Neverland (Marbles)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
I think its safe to say we will see Fish then?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »
I've noticed that there is a kind of a split between the band's fans - those who prefer Fish and those who prefer Steve Hogarth, but I think I lean towards the latter group.
Sorry, no. But he's close as well.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »
14. Amanda Palmer (The Dresden Dolls, solo, Evelyn Evelyn)

We're gonna take your cities one by one
Catch your cables cut your cords and spoil all your fun
We're gonna make your life a living hell
Cause stripped of your equipment you'll be forced to face yourself...

I promised surprises (or not, I don't remember :lol), and well, sometimes there are bands or artists who appear basically out of nowhere for you, and it turns out that even though it's something that's so far out of your "usual taste" that you should dislike it by definition, you get to love it rather quickly. The Dresden Dolls was like that for me - music based entirely on piano and drums, with a guitar (acoustic) appearing for 40 seconds on the entire album, entirely different feeling and style, unusual vocals... Yes, vocals. Amanda isn't, and isn't even trying to sound nice and soft most of the time. Her singing style is often totally different to what you can be used to, and I admit, it did put me off a bit at the beginning. But well, on the other hand, I've always liked unconventional approach... And this is almost a classic example of unconventional (did I just create a paradox? Never mind). Trying to describe what she does with her voice is difficult to say the least, and even if you've gone through an entire album and think you've heard everything, it may turn out you haven't - I'm speaking from my own experience here. I admit that in the end, I like it the most when she sings with a soft, calm voice (which actually sometimes happens), but it can sound equally amazing when it sounds almost completely "detuned" like in some songs...

-----

13. Vincent Cavanagh (Anathema)

We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand...

The above is an example of why he is here. His ability to sound really warm and dark at the same time is something I've never heard before. I can really feel in every word that what he sings is honest and comes straight from the heart - sometimes when listening to albums which have a more personal theme it feels to me like the singer is more of an actor. And in his case it's like if he was exactly the one who writes this and it's about his real self - it's so direct and real that it can leave a real emotional impact (such as Lost Control, which is the most amazing Anathema song I've heard - the first few seconds almost make me shiver every time). Although the later Anathema works aren't as dark as the earlier ones, he's still capable of this - such as in Flying, which is the perfect example of a song which is, somehow, uplifting and depressing at the same time.

I'm curious about his singing on We're Here Because We're Here... I'll see in two weeks.

Personal highlights:
Shroud of False, Lost Control, Alternative 4 (Alternative 4)
One Last Goodbye (Judgement)
Balance, Flying (A Natural Disaster)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
I can say that his singing on We're Here Because We're Here is even better than on their other albums :). He really improved during those 7 years :p.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 07:50:16 PM »
I can say that his singing on We're Here Because We're Here is even better than on their other albums :). He really improved during those 7 years :p.
This
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 08:42:48 PM »
I'll be mildly disappointed if the might Frank Zappa does not make an appearance here...

Offline SoundChaser

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »
Jorn Lande best be number 1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 01:40:03 AM »
Vinnie ftw! :-)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »
Mizzl better be number 1.

Also, how on earth did I miss this thread?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 06:03:38 AM »
Of the first 7, I only know Hetflield.. :lol    ...and Paul Hewson too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 07:38:11 AM »
Very interesting choices thus far...
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:16 AM »
Very interesting choices thus far...