Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354794 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #1155 on: August 10, 2011, 05:07:19 AM »
Hmm, what'd you say is the worst metal video you've seen?

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1156 on: August 10, 2011, 05:52:39 AM »
Well I don't agree that metal bands have terrible videos.... but I really laugh at this one:
Judas Priest- Hot Rockin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki3TpFZY7cU&feature=player_embedded

and to go back to Megadeth... this makes me want to go back to my drumming lessons... immediately
Megadeth - Trust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTuz2fLUVw&feature=player_embedded#at=29

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1157 on: August 10, 2011, 09:22:41 AM »
I listened to Rust In Piece today. It's been a long time, and I liked it alot more than I remember. Even the middle songs I didn't really care for before were :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1158 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
Personally, I don't feel anything they've done has quite measured up to the three album run of Rust -> Countdown -> Youthanasia.  Risk threw everyone for a loop because it was so different, but the quality was definitely high enough to put it close to those other three.  But aside from those four, I don't feel anything else has quite reached the VERY high standards set by those albums.  But that being said, the last two were definitely pretty good, and I have high hopes that the new one will be even better, for some reason.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1159 on: August 10, 2011, 12:20:36 PM »
I'd put Peace Sells far above Risk actually.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1160 on: August 10, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »
Most people would.  That's fine.  I personally REALLY like Risk, but I know that I'm in the minority on that one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1161 on: August 10, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
Personally, I don't feel anything they've done has quite measured up to the three album run of Rust -> Countdown -> Youthanasia.  Risk threw everyone for a loop because it was so different, but the quality was definitely high enough to put it close to those other three.  But aside from those four, I don't feel anything else has quite reached the VERY high standards set by those albums.  But that being said, the last two were definitely pretty good, and I have high hopes that the new one will be even better, for some reason.

I would definitely throw So Far, So Good... So What into the top tier albums.  Even though Anarchy in the U.K really needs to go away, there are some of the very best Megadeth songs on there.  (Maybe even the best song)  I also agree about Risk being near the top.  It's a great example of a band venturing outside of their typical sound and style and not being terrible at it. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1162 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31:38 PM »
I'd put Peace Sells far above Risk actually.

I agree. Wake Up Dead, Peace Sells, Good Mourning/Black Friday, and My Last Words are all exemplary showings of peak-form Megadeth.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1163 on: August 10, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »
^not a single minority^ it works for me too.
And I agree with your run of three.

Im a big Marty fan..so.....without marty Im always going to judge harshly.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1164 on: August 10, 2011, 12:34:26 PM »

I would definitely throw So Far, So Good... So What into the top tier albums.  Even though Anarchy in the U.K really needs to go away, there are some of the very best Megadeth songs on there.  (Maybe even the best song)  I also agree about Risk being near the top.  It's a great example of a band venturing outside of their typical sound and style and not being terrible at it. 
I agree. Set The World Afire, Liar, Hook In Mouth, and especially the great Mary Jane are all vastly underrated songs in the Megadeth catalog.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1165 on: August 10, 2011, 12:36:56 PM »
As for the newer releases, they're strong enough, especially for a band so far into their lifetime.  Nothing terribly exciting going on in the last one, but it was a solid record. 

United Abominations was great, but to me it was a very top-heavy record.  Nearly all of the better songs appeared early on.  (Particularly, the first 4 are probably the strongest to me)  And, of course, the remake of A Tout Le Monde was a very bad decision and a track that I've been generally trying to forget. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1166 on: August 10, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
Maybe it has something to do with it being the first album released after I was a fan of the band, but I have particular affection for Cryptic Writings.  Not saying it's my favorite, but it's surely in the top 4 or 5.  So many great songs on that album.  I still remember taping "Trust" off the radio before the album came out and playing that tape to deth. 

Good times.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1167 on: August 10, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »
Cryptic Writings is a pretty big drop from Youthanisa for me, Trust being the only great track on it (okay She-Wolf is pretty good too). To say nothing of Risk. Granted I'd still take them over Metallica's rock period.

I do like the last couple of records a lot, but I must say The System Has Failed is my favorite album post-Countdown.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1168 on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
As for the newer releases, they're strong enough, especially for a band so far into their lifetime.  Nothing terribly exciting going on in the last one, but it was a solid record. 

United Abominations was great, but to me it was a very top-heavy record.  Nearly all of the better songs appeared early on.  (Particularly, the first 4 are probably the strongest to me)  And, of course, the remake of A Tout Le Monde was a very bad decision and a track that I've been generally trying to forget. 
I agree with what you've said in this thread, So Far... is awesome! :)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1169 on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »

I agree with what you've said in this thread, So Far... is awesome! :)
You bet it's awesome!  Top tier, along with Peace Sells, RIP, and Countdown! 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
Most people would.  That's fine.  I personally REALLY like Risk, but I know that I'm in the minority on that one.

I love Risk. So much good stuff on that album. It's much, much better than Cryptic Writings and The World Needs a Hero.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1171 on: August 10, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »
Risk is indeed awesome.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1172 on: August 10, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
Risk is really good. Not sure if I'd say it's awesome, but it gets way too much shit. Definitely a bunch of good songs on it.

I could never get into The World Needs a Hero though. It just felt like they were trying too hard to be heavy and thrashy again, but they just weren't there. I do like Disconnect though.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: August 10, 2011, 08:35:47 PM »
Bought Countdown the other day.  Pretty good.  Not RiP good but I might like it better than Peace Sells.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #1174 on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
If you enjoyed it, you may enjoy Youthanasia, as well.  Slower and more grunge-y, but good, nonetheless. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1175 on: August 10, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »
Youthanasia is miles better than Countdown in every possible way.

« Reply #1176 on: August 10, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
This is very true.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »

Drew, have I ever told you that you're hilarious?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1178 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »
This is very true.

Joke.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1179 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:36 PM »

lolno

« Reply #1180 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
Youthanasia is fantastic though.

Countdown, well, the highs are really high but the lows are just... ugh Psychotron and the title-track.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1181 on: August 10, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »

Countdown, well, the highs are really high but the lows are just... ugh Psychotron and the title-track.

I can agree Psychotron isn't the most stellar track on the disc, but calling the title track a "low?"  I disagree.

« Reply #1182 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:34 PM »

I can agree Psychotron isn't the most stellar track on the disc, but calling the title track a "low?"  I disagree.
I liked it at first, but it hasn't aged well at all for me.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1183 on: August 10, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
I can agree Psychotron isn't the most stellar track on the disc, but calling the title track a "low?"  I disagree.

Me too.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: August 10, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »

Not in those exact words.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: August 10, 2011, 10:56:14 PM »
Okay Gadough, so since you like it it must mean I'll hate it.  I'll be sure to stay clear of that album, thanks.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: August 10, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
Glad I could be of service.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1187 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:13 AM »

I liked it at first, but it hasn't aged well at all for me.

For the second time, I totally agree with you.  Are you me?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1188 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11:27 AM »
ITT: Gadough changes his handle to surreptitiousdingleberry
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #1189 on: August 11, 2011, 03:11:13 AM »
Risk is really good. Not sure if I'd say it's awesome, but it gets way too much shit. Definitely a bunch of good songs on it.

I love Risk, but it's hardly the quintessential Megadeth record so I'm not surprised that certain sections of their fanbase aren't keen on it.

It reminds me of Queensryche's Hear In The Now Frontier, which I feel would take a lot less stick if it'd just been a DeGarmo solo album.

I could never get into The World Needs a Hero though. It just felt like they were trying too hard to be heavy and thrashy again, but they just weren't there. I do like Disconnect though.

As soon as an artist tries to tailor their writing to what they perceive their fans want then they're on a sticky wicket and TWNAH is a prime example of how it can backfire. It didn't help that Al Pitrelli wasn't in the same league as Friedman (technically he probably is, but technique alone doesn't write interesting solos), but fundamentally the album is ploddier than PC Plod plodding around plodtown.

Personally, I think the only strong post-Risk album is The System Has Failed, which was written as a solo album without any overt attempts to appease Megadeth fans (ignoring bringing in Chris Poland to do solos).

There's decent material on UA and Endgame, but until Mustaine starts singing melodies properly again I'm out and I say that as someone who has Megadeth on 1000+ plays on Last.FM.