Author Topic: Megadeth  (Read 354655 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Megadeth
« Reply #980 on: March 30, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
Keep it going mang.

Degrasso doesn't have any stage presence, IMO.  He's probably the better drummer though, I love his playing on Rude Awakening.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #981 on: March 30, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
What's Menza done since leaving Megadeth, anyway?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #982 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
He rejoined and got fired again.  He was in another metal band for a while though, I think.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: March 31, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
What's Menza done since leaving Megadeth, anyway?

Rehab a couple of times  :biggrin:
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #984 on: April 11, 2011, 05:33:51 AM »
Who knows the history of Crown Of Worms? Was it ever actually recorded? How old is the song?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #985 on: April 11, 2011, 06:58:05 AM »
Wasn't it a bonus track on the re-release of 'Countdown To Extinction'?

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: April 11, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »
Who knows the history of Crown Of Worms? Was it ever actually recorded? How old is the song?

Here's what I know about Crown of Worms from the remastered CtE booklet:

"As a huge Diamond Head fan, I jumped at the chance to work with a band that influenced me and my old bandmates as much as they did. I met with Sean Harris (vocals) and Brian Tatler (guitar) overseas and talked to them about producing a song and maybe co-writing something. Sean gave me this lyric folded up on a piece of paper, as if it was merely notes or homework or something. I knew, however, that it was something special.

I opened the page and tried to make sense out of the lyric, but on the first reading, it was not flowing too well. So I very respectfully took the lyric apart and rearranged it into what I now feel is a great lyric. I also love the energy that the music has. It reminds me of classic Motörhead at its best!"
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #987 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:08 PM »

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #988 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
Wasn't it a bonus track on the re-release of 'Countdown To Extinction'?

Yes, it was, indeed.  It was recorded, but wasn't properly mixed or put onto CD for Countdown.  Then, when Youthanasia was put out, it was properly mixed (I think), and put onto the Train of Consequences single.  And then, put on the CtE reissue, as it did originate from that album's sessions. 

Great song, as well; it's right up there with Victory and Ashes In Your Mouth, is one of their best songs from the 90s.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #989 on: May 01, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
I've always thought Degrasso was Megadeth's best drummer too. Nick being close second.
I totally agree!

I love the double bass intensity on this and the fills are so powerfull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNRGw_EYlGk

Man, "A Secret Place" is on of Megadeth's best songs and it seems they don't perform it live anymore. What a shame...

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: May 04, 2011, 10:17:56 AM »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: May 04, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
really loving Peace Sells and Rust in Peace lately... kinda going through a Megadeth discovery phase. woo!

Offline TL

« Reply #992 on: May 04, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7QaKxfa2kI&feature=feedu
Reggae version of Symphony of Destruction (with album vocals), from the guy who brought us the smooth jazz version of Enter Sandman.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #993 on: May 04, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »
Been listening to Endgame lately.  Aside from the tendency to say "this is the best album since [one of band's undisputed best albums of all time]" whenever an artist releases a new album, I am reminded that this is probably their best album since the golden age of RIP-CTE-Youthanasia (other than, perhaps, Risk).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: May 04, 2011, 06:15:02 PM »
Been listening to Endgame lately.  Aside from the tendency to say "this is the best album since [one of band's undisputed best albums of all time]" whenever an artist releases a new album, I am reminded that this is probably their best album since the golden age of RIP-CTE-Youthanasia (other than, perhaps, Risk).

You prefer Endgame to United Abominations? Interesting.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #995 on: May 04, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
I prefer United Abominations, personally.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #996 on: May 04, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »
Maybe I need to give UA another listen.  It didn't click with me when I first got it, so I didn't listen much.  I can't even really remember any of the songs other than Amerikastan.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #997 on: May 04, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
Endgame totally dominates UA in every aspect.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #998 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »
Never heard UA tbh, but I think Endgame is pretty good. In fact, I'm wearing my Endgame shirt atm :D

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #999 on: May 05, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »
UA > Endgame
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: May 05, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »
Been listening to Endgame lately.  Aside from the tendency to say "this is the best album since [one of band's undisputed best albums of all time]" whenever an artist releases a new album, I am reminded that this is probably their best album since the golden age of RIP-CTE-Youthanasia (other than, perhaps, Risk).

You prefer Endgame to United Abominations? Interesting.

I thought everybody did! I definitely do!
And bosk didn't you once refer me to a jazz message board for not liking UA? what happened since then? :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1001 on: May 05, 2011, 03:44:44 PM »
:lol  Did I?  I don't remember that.  Maybe it was just because I thought you didn't like Megadeth at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1002 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »
Been listening to Endgame lately.  Aside from the tendency to say "this is the best album since [one of band's undisputed best albums of all time]" whenever an artist releases a new album, I am reminded that this is probably their best album since the golden age of RIP

Yes

UA > Endgame

It's damn close. I think UA is damn good, but I'm taking Endgame.

Oh..and Bosk, not only am I taking Nick Menza over Jimmy Degrasso, but I'm also taking Chuck Beehler over him as well.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: May 05, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
I was way off, I dug up that post and it turned out the discussion was about me liking Death Magnetic more than Endgame :lol, which I still do.
But yeah I think Endgame is a much better album than UA and Endgame has actually grown of me a lot since then.

Oh..and Bosk, not only am I taking Nick Menza over Jimmy Degrasso, but I'm also taking Chuck Beehler over him as well.

Nick Menza is my favorite Megadeth drummer ever, I know Degrasso is a better technical drummer than him but it's about the vibe and how he fits in the band.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: May 06, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »

Nick Menza is my favorite Megadeth drummer ever, I know Degrasso is a better technical drummer than him but it's about the vibe and how he fits in the band.
[/quote]

Agreed on both counts...I loved Gar as well...both Nick and Gar came from a jazz background/training

Jimmy is a great technical drummer but his playing just doesn't grab me in Megadeth like his predecessors did
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1005 on: May 07, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
I think DeGrasso's lack of appreciation comes mostly because the albums that featured him are the two least popular 'Deth albums to date, not because he's a bad drummer.

Also I came here to say The System Has Failed is IMO the best album they've released since 1997. Awesome songs right there. The only part that annoys me of the whole album is in Die Dead Enough: "My heart is beating like a drum-BOOM!". That line makes me cringe.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1006 on: May 07, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
I agree with TSHF being their best.  The new 3 haven't done much for me at all. 

I got the feeling DeGrasso never really liked being in Megadeth anyways.  Some of the interviews I've read of him while he was in the band would suggest that. 

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: May 07, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
I agree with TSHF being their best.  The new 3 haven't done much for me at all.

UA, Endgame, and...? :P

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1008 on: May 07, 2011, 11:09:22 PM »
:lol fat fingers

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1009 on: May 09, 2011, 05:36:01 AM »
I think DeGrasso's lack of appreciation comes mostly because the albums that featured him are the two least popular 'Deth albums to date, not because he's a bad drummer.
Well it's hard to know exactly how good he is. Sure he can play Menza's parts live, but Menza had a great style all to himself.

It's not that Degrasso's 2 albums are the 2 worst, but it's also that the drum parts are the least interesting out of all of their albums. If there's a youtube that really showcases Degrasso's talent, I'd love to see it.

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #1010 on: May 19, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: May 20, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
1. The System Has Failed
2. United Abominations (close 2nd)

3. Endgame
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #1012 on: May 20, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »
1. The System Has Failed
2. United Abominations (close 2nd)

3. Endgame

I wouldn't peg the gaps as that big, but Endgame didn't hold my interest that long. TSHF is a great album, probably my favorite since the early 90s.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: May 20, 2011, 06:15:32 PM »
Endgame was just so disappointing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1014 on: May 20, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
Endgame was just so disappointing.
It was? Wow, we are on different wavelengths lately! :D